Can God create a rock so big he can't lift it?

Author: linate

Total: 95
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@linate
The answer is no. 

This however is not a sign of God's non-omnipotence.  It is a sign of God's rationality. 

God can do whatever he wants to do and so he does. In other words, whatever God sets his mind to do he can and will do. 

But God does not set his mind to do things that are absurd to reason.  

Hence, the original question is not asking whether God can do all things but rather will God do what is irrational?  And therefore the answer is no. 
hey-yo
Debates: 24
hey-yo
What is the circumfence of red? 

I always considered the rock question as something that does not apply to God because properties are different - where as God does not litterally lift objects despite us saying "lift." Like in the song that sings, " he lifts me up." The song is figurative. 

So the answer to the question is n/a. 
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Tradesecret wrote: whatever God sets his mind to do he can and will do. 

But he's never practical and never uses common sense. Why a torturous bloody death to save us from our sins when is all he had to do was proclaim that all our sins are forgiven?
Why all the misery and murder and death and loss poured all over his righteous loyal servant Job when he could have just simply made Satan realise that Job wouldn't cave in? 

Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
Debates: 0
Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

OMG, it seems as though I have to hire a secretary in keeping up with all of Miss Tradesecrets Bible ignorant quotes like she had in her post #91!

MISS TRADESECRETS QUOTE OF SLAPPING JESUS IN THE FACE AGAIN!!!:  "But God does not set his mind to do things that are absurd to reason."

Huh?  If Jesus as God can say that a Christian can move mountains if they truly have even a small faith in Him equal to a mustard seed, then Jesus logically can lift any heavy rock in return!  Miss Tradesecret is biblically WRONG AGAIN!  What's new in this respect, NOTHING!  Duh.

Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” (Matthew 17:20-21).  

Now, here is the rub, if Miss Tradesecret cannot move a tall mountain like Mount Everest, then she really does not have faith in Jesus to begin with, and therefore is a pseudo-christian at best!

Stephen, there are too many Bible Stupid posts by Miss Tradesecret of late, therefore, do you want to go halves in hiring a secretary to keep track of Miss Tradesecret's ungodly and Bible dumbfounded posts so we can correct them at her embarrassing expense, where we could share the costs in this respect?

NEXT PSEUDO-CHRISTIAN WOMAN LIKE "MISS TRADESECRET" THAT WANTS TO CONTINUALLY SHOW HER BIBLE STUPIDITY AS WELL, WILL BE ...?

SethBrown
Debates: 23
SethBrown
-->
@Mr.BrotherD.Thomas
God, your an idiot. Let's show exactly how philosophically wrong you are.

Brother D, define omnipotence, does it ahear to logic (As in god cant do something illogical, my personal definition) or can it defy logic. (As in god can do something illogical.)