Open minded or close minded?

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 8
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
Two people disagree on a topic. Person one sends a link to an essay of some sort to person two. Person two spends over two hours reading and responding to this essay. Person two then sends two links of two YouTube videos, each about five minutes long, to person one. Person one responds "I looked at the titles of the videos and decided not to watch them based on the titles"

Which of these people is open minded or close minded? Person one, person two, both, neither? Explain your answer.
Goldtop
Debates: 0
Goldtop
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I've seen exactly that scenario many times, it's common for cranks and crackpots, especially flat earthers.

Person one is the flat earther who posts links to obscenely ridiculous essays and youtube videos, while person two is the one trying to explain to the flat earther why the essay is bunkum and will ignore the videos simply because the titles give them away, often being uber stupid or ignorant.

Btw, why is this in the Religion forum?
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
How open minded you are should depend on how much work you've already put into learning about a topic.

There are things I am very open minded about beause I know I have a lot to learn about them.  On other issues I am not open minded at all because I've done the homework, heard both sides and made up my mind long ago.  It's not I won't consider new info; it's more that usually it isn't new info - it's stuff I have already considered many times already.

of course I've heard of 'confirmation bias' and the Dunning–Kruger effect and I don't think I'm immune. I try to take them into account, but even so I'm not going to spend long watching or reading material telling me the world is flat and 6000 years old or that NASA went to the moon in 1969.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Goldtop
 Btw, why is this in the Religion forum?
The OP describes an actual event. I am one of the two people described above and the other person believes I am being close-minded. Just wanted some opinions from an outsiders perspective.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@keithprosser
How open minded you are should depend on how much work you've already put into learning about a topic. 

There are things I am very open minded about because I know I have a lot to learn about them.  On other issues I am not open minded at all because I've done the homework, heard both sides and made up my mind long ago.  It's not I won't consider new info; it's more that usually it isn't new info - it's stuff I have already considered many times already.

of course I've heard of 'confirmation bias' and the Dunning–Kruger effect and I don't think I'm immune. I try to take them into account, but even so I'm not going to spend long watching or reading material telling me the world is flat and 6000 years old or that NASA went to the moon in 1969.

That is fair. I sometimes watch conspiracy theory videos for entertainment value but I agree that I should not be accused by conspiracy theorists of being closed-minded if I didn't, at least assuming - and this I think we would agree is important - that I at least have a basic understanding of the conspiracy theorists actual position (at least as basic an understanding as for me to not claim that people who say the moon landing was faked necessarily also claim that NASA is an ancient organization that has existed in secret for thousands of years)
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
My answer? Depends on what you define as open-minded, how much time person 1 had on their hands at the time and the title of the videos.

Additionally, it depends what exactly the positions and history of interaction(s) between 1 and 2 were.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
My answer? Depends on what you define as open-minded, how much time person 1 had on their hands at the time and the title of the videos.

I personally agree that it isn't fair to classify either of them as close-minded just based on this.
WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
??????..........????????   Dah.....your example is the epitome of ABSURD....

How about ....an OPEN MIND is one that considers the possibility of anything without having their interpretation to be ABSOLUTE...

It can be ABSOLUTE between their EARS...not those of others...with 7 billion plus humans on EARTH how utterly RETARDED to 
determine that the VOMIT of thought flowing between YOUR EARS has to be validated - approved - accepted by others...

Sadly most of humanity is subjected to HORRIFIC mind and life conditioning by MEDIA-RELIGION-GOVERNMENT...

The Einsteins and Da Vincis of EARTH know well the power of the imagination and they do not attempt to regulate the MIND
quite the opposite....unfortunately MIND MOLESTING is the NORM of HUMANITY...specifically for the purpose of enslaving
and hypnotizing the masses of asses into servitude of the few who play a GAME of THRONES.....where everything is expendable 
for the sake of personal POWER and GAIN....

An open MIND is not concerned about FEAR-INTIMIDATION-VIOLENCE over a point of view...it goes that way when some Parasite
VAMPIRE mind molester seeks CONTROL....

The OPEN MIND is the greatest threat to the Global Game of Throne Players who depend on FEAR as a control tool...

Proof of this goes back to the time of the Library of Alexandria Egypt where vast amounts of information was acquired
translated, debated, applied, +++ it had a 600 year run...sadly it came to a horrific END along with HYPATIA a young 
woman (daughter of the Library director of the time) . Hypatia was so far ahead of her time...she was respected by men
especially learned men of the day who sought her insight to MATH, ASTRONOMY, SCIENCE, ART, +++ she was an
OPEN MINDED curious explorer and lecturer...

The Library along with many scrolls and HYPATIA was DESTROYED by Christian PSYCHOPATHS....disgusting...she refused
to accept the JESUS hoax...wanting to remain FREE from all things "GOD"  but open towards others who wanted to follow
them....SAD...

So where would humanity be if the FCKG CHRISTIANS and their psychotic concentration camp DOGMA which led to
1000 years of the DARK AGES...D I S GU S T I N G....

The OPEN MIND is the most extraordinary TOOL of all species on EARTH...(possibly)....and what crushed the expansion 
of this awesome TOOL.....sick-retarded-psychotic-parasite-vampire Religious SCUM...especially the Middle East
JEW-JESUS-ALLAH God garbage inventions....the most OPPRESSIVE in human existence....

want OPEN MINDED HUMANS ?   then rid Earth of these Parasite VAMPIRE Jew-Jesus-Allah CULT SCUM...

HOW ?   by relegating these worthless "GOD" constructs to MEANINGLESS MYTHOLOGY along with ZEUS and ODIN

No one MURDERS..ASSIMILATES...PREACHES...TORTURES...in the name of ZEUS or ODIN...the same must happen
with the JEW-JESUS-ALLAH GOd hoaxes....then the OPEN MIND will thrive like never before

the world needs more HYPATIA'S...women are not flesh bag breeding dogs subject to slavery..beatings..humiliation...
the religions that marginalize women and all who do not accept their absurd "GOD"and dogma must be ANNIHILATED