Tradesecret asks..I answer

Author: keithprosser

Total: 42
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
There is a difference between "god" with a lower case "g", and "God" with a capital "G".
Yes it's the "case" of the letter, the words are identical in meaning.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Full Definition of your religious beliefs.
1 a : a belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation
b : an irrational abject attitude of mind toward the supernatural, nature, or God resulting from superstition
2 : a notion maintained despite evidence to the contrary

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
You are right. It is not a god. There is a difference between "god" with a lower case "g", and "God" with a capital "G".
You are saying God is not a god!  What is a god, and why isn't God one?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser

Because God is The Supreme and Ultimate Reality, it is not like the multitude of created gods, who are defined by them not being The Supreme and Ultimate Reality.

And that is part of the reason that we can say that atheists are simply in denial of their gods. If an atheist were to examine the things that really influence them, make their life meaningful or worth living, and effect their judgement, they would see their gods. They would see the idols that they put before God.

And that is certainly how we understand these things, and atheism is even defined by its negation of how we understand things. It is specifically designed so that, if one is educated in an atheistic manner, even my lucid speech will become unintelligible. 

And well, we live in the age of post-nihilism, which is still fundamentally nihilistic. There is no absolute truths, there are only relative truths. And as this is the case, the end and beginning of a matter is obscured in this blindness brought about by tunnel vision. That is why, in today's time, you have people like you professing atheism without even realizing that this is nihilism. You aren't even really an atheist, which by the way means that you have some good sense. It is my hope that you abandon this foolish identity, because not o ly are you not really an atheist, but it is a shame to be an atheist. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
It is my hope that you abandon this foolish identity, because not o ly are you not really an atheist, but it is a shame to be an atheist. 
Don't be silly!  What I believe in is no sort of god!  You can't pray to it any more than you can pray to gravity; it doesn't have any mind, no more than magnetism has mind.  It has no plan, no more than a proton has a plan.  It will not reward me for obeying rules, nor will it punish me for so-called sins.  I am a complicated chemical process in a bag made of skin and when i die i will rot, nothing more.

Yet you say I am not an atheist because I think there is (probably) a physico-mathematical principle - not yet discovered - that will explain the presence and nature of matter and it's interactions!   You make it very hard to be an atheist!

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Ok then, believe what you want to believe.

But you aren't rejecting what you understand. You think you know better though, so be it. I can't say I didn't try to help you through your errors. You are clearly uninterested.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Ok then, believe what you want to believe.
I cannot choose what to believe - I believe what I believe is the truth, you know that thing you claim to worship?

You, I believe chose the orthodox church - you did choose your truth.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I had enough charity to actually find out what they really teach.

Because I care about the truth.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Implying I don't?  I have come to a different conclusion what 'the truth' is than you have, that's all.

I have never (to my knowledge) impugned your sincerity - I think you are sincere but mistaken.  I am not sure you have always extended me that courtesy.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I don't know your heart, but I do believe that I hurt a great deal more for you than you could ever for me. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Very probably!  i'm not heartless, but I don't think your faith is going to cause you any real problems - not in the US.  i think religion can be good for people - I just think it's a placebo.  I'm not a 'religion is evil' sort of atheist.

if i die and go to hell i'll make sure people know you did your best! :)

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
I am sure you'll look the other way when they diagnose religious practice as a mental illness, and ship us off to reeducation camps, labor camps, and meatgrinders.