Topic's posts

Posts in total: 163
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    TheDredPriateRoberts avatar
    Debates: 0
    Forum posts: 3,358
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    Truth is, the Democrats aren’t leveling with the public about the billions we are already forced to spend on shelters, food, diapers, medical care and child care for migrants sneaking across the border and claiming asylum. Not to mention the costs of public schooling and health care provided free to migrants once they are released into communities.
    By deterring illegal crossings, the Wall will pay for itself in less than two years. It’s a bargain.
    interesting, considering it's not coming from a right wing source
    • Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left, but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for information due to proper sourcing and well respected journalists/editors.
    I was a bit on the fence (pun intended) on the issue, but not after ready that article.

• Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Debates: 2
    Forum posts: 8,850
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @TheDredPriateRoberts
    Then Trump devised a “Remain-in-Mexico” arrangement to make Mexico the waiting room for asylum seekers. As long as they are south of the border, the US doesn’t have to house them, and they have no “right” to public schooling and emergency medical care on our tab. The program, if successful, will save American taxpayers a bundle. It’s one way Mexico is already helping to pay for the Wall.

Promises made, promises kept.
  • Swagnarok
    Swagnarok avatar
    Debates: 3
    Forum posts: 687
    Swagnarok avatar
    Swagnarok
    I would just like to point out, before anything else, that you literally just mistook the New York Post (conservative) for the New York Times (liberal). How you made such an elementary blunder, I do not know.
  • FaustianJustice
    FaustianJustice avatar
    Forum posts: 146
    FaustianJustice avatar
    FaustianJustice
    Do you feel as though a huge unmanned structure would prevent crossings to make it worth while?

56K a year is the cost, give or take, of a border patrol officer, time and and equipment depending.

I just don't have confidence in an edifice being a real deterrent, thats all.  
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @FaustianJustice
    How much is the current price of a coyote trip? Will the wall affect the 401K of these Coyotes?
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    I think Coyote fees have gone up from 4000 to 10,000 since Trump got elected according to some sources. Might be 20k after the wall is built.
  • Analgesic.Spectre
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Debates: 1
    Forum posts: 474
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre
    --> @FaustianJustice
    Do you feel as though a huge unmanned structure would prevent crossings to make it worth while?

56K a year is the cost, give or take, of a border patrol officer, time and and equipment depending.
    Is this a joke comment? You're worried about providing a job that costs tens of thousands of dollars? You do realise that the U.S. taxpayer has to foot the bill of illegal immigrants getting public education, welfare benefits, and other benefits and services, all to the tune of roughly $54.5 BILLION a year? (https://www.heritage.org/immigration/report/the-fiscal-cost-unlawful-immigrants-and-amnesty-the-us-taxpayer). You could theoretically hire 700,000 of these border patrol people (which is WAY more than necessary, but I'm making a point), and if they kept 90% of the illegal immigrants out, you'd still be in the black.

This isn't even to mention the social cost of having illegal Mexicans in your country. Hispanics tend to vote in favour of 2nd/3rd World policies, such as the banning of "hate speech", and having a bigger government with more services (i.e. freebies) (http://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/28/political-ideology-in-america-by-race/).

I just don't have confidence in an edifice being a real deterrent, thats all.  
    Your objections are indicative of someone who doesn't know what on Earth he's writing about.

Mexico itself has a border wall to keep Guatemalans out.

The Hungarian border fence was so effective at keeping unwanted Serbians out that the true number of Serbians coming in was too small to show on the chart (https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2015/10/29/hold-hungarian-border-fence-so-effective-illegal-immigrants-are-now-at-pre-migrant-crisis-levels/).

The Israeli border fence has deterred terrorism to an effective degree (https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/background-and-overview-of-israel-s-security-fence#2).

Even if the fence kept 50% of the illegals out, which would make it by far the worst wall out of all those above (and arguably the worst in human history), you'd still be saving $27.25 Billion.

Your lack of confidence is born from ignorance.
  • dustryder
    dustryder avatar
    Debates: 5
    Forum posts: 884
    dustryder avatar
    dustryder
    --> @Analgesic.Spectre
    This isn't even to mention the social cost of having illegal Mexicans in your country. Hispanics tend to vote in favour of 2nd/3rd World policies, such as the banning of "hate speech", and having a bigger government with more services (i.e. freebies) (http://thealternativehypothesis.org/index.php/2016/04/28/political-ideology-in-america-by-race/).
    America is fairly unique in its unregulated approach to hate speech among other 1st world countries. This indicates to me that regulation of hatespeech is more of a 1st world policy, or at least there's an equivalence between 1st, 2nd and 3rd world views, with America being an outlier in this overall trend. Why do you think differently?

• Analgesic.Spectre
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre
    --> @dustryder
    America is fairly unique in its unregulated approach to hate speech among other 1st world countries. This indicates to me that regulation of hatespeech is more of a 1st world policy, or at least there's an equivalence between 1st, 2nd and 3rd world views, with America being an outlier in this overall trend. Why do you think differently?
    "Hate speech" is a political tool used to leverage resources for political groups. It is antithetical to freedom of speech, and thus stifles a country's progress/understanding because new ideas/truths cannot be expressed.

Sure, not every 1st world country has freedom of speech. My country, Australia, does not have freedom of speech, yet it constantly ranks in the top escalations in quality of life calculations. Freedom of speech is a 1st world policy, but doesn't in itself make a country 1st world. 

• disgusted
    disgusted avatar
    Forum posts: 4,959
    disgusted avatar
    disgusted
    --> @Analgesic.Spectre
    Fraser Anning, Poorlean Handmedown. If Aus didn't have free speech you wouldn't hear from those fascists.
  • Analgesic.Spectre
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre
    --> @disgusted
    Fraser Anning, Poorlean Handmedown. If Aus didn't have free speech you wouldn't hear from those fascists.
    Lol you bloody idiot. This is not a matter for debate. Australia does not have a Bill of Rights that allows freedom of speech. If people are allowed to say controversial things, then that's because they're not being prosecuted, rather than being allowed to. You're basically saying that people are allowed to jay-walk because some people get away with it -- utterly stupid and factually wrong argument.

• oromagi
    oromagi avatar
    Debates: 97
    Forum posts: 3,799
    oromagi avatar
    oromagi
    --> @Swagnarok
    +1 swag-  if u r confusing the NY post and The NY Times then there’s not really to talk about. 
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @oromagi
    I agree. Blanket censorship of conservative media is the rule, not the exception.
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    Forum posts: 4,967
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    Both legal and illegal immigrants are human beings and human beings tend to.use vehicles as their primary means of transport. Vehicles like planes and boats. Most immigration (legal or illegal) will be completely unaffected by any wall fence ditch or moat we decide to construct.
  • FaustianJustice
    FaustianJustice avatar
    FaustianJustice avatar
    FaustianJustice
    --> @Greyparrot
    I give up, its your cheese, you describe the smell.
  • FaustianJustice
    FaustianJustice avatar
    FaustianJustice avatar
    FaustianJustice
    --> @Analgesic.Spectre
    "Is this a joke comment? You're worried about providing a job that costs tens of thousands of dollars? You do realise that the U.S. taxpayer has to foot the bill of illegal immigrants getting public education, welfare benefits, and other benefits and services, all to the tune of roughly $54.5 BILLION a year? "

Shaddup and answer the question.  You need to patrol 2K miles of wall, now, in perpetuity.  How much have you offset?

"Mexico itself has a border wall to keep Guatemalans out. " --- makes you wonder how the caravan got past Mexico, then.

"
    Even if the fence kept 50% of the illegals out, which would make it by far the worst wall out of all those above (and arguably the worst in human history), you'd still be saving $27.25 Billion.

Your lack of confidence is born from ignorance." 

--- MORE than half the illegals here are because they overstayed a visa, dimwit.  My lack of confidence is born from watching Israeli forces -continue- to battle (literally battle) an group of militarized (wonder how that happened....) forces outside said walls.  That and this new fangled thing called "ropes", "chains", and "internal combustion engines".  

You are asking for the largest modern day edifice yet built by man to be manned.  24 7.  Please don't let that escape your thinking.

You need to pay people to patrol the wall.  That is the bottom line.  Said people will cost money, for as long as you would like to keep disastrous policy in force.

• Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @FaustianJustice
    Might be a good time to invest in Coyote start-ups. Business is good for them. Demand is up and supply is down. Good pricing.
  • Analgesic.Spectre
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre avatar
    Analgesic.Spectre
    --> @secularmerlin
    Both legal and illegal immigrants are human beings and human beings tend to.use vehicles as their primary means of transport. Vehicles like planes and boats. Most immigration (legal or illegal) will be completely unaffected by any wall fence ditch or moat we decide to construct.
    Wow, another braindead argument -- this thread sure is attracting retardation.

Why don't we just leave all our house doors open because people can lock-pick! Oh right, locks are effective the majority of the time, so that's why people use them. It's just like border fences/walls, dumbass. Yes, sometimes people find ways to get around them. However, the vast majority of the time, the fences/walls work (see the latter half of the post: (https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1494?page=1&post_number=7)).

Finally, legal immigration isn't the issue a wall would fix, so there's no point in conflating that with illegal immigration.

• Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot

• secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Analgesic.Spectre
    A large percentage of illegal immigrants arrive to the country by airport or sea port and simply overstay their visa. www.politifact.com/california/statements/2018/aug/24/kevin-mccarthy/mostly-true-visa-overstays-account-half-all-people/ there is no point in discussing the economic social or political ramifications of building a huge impractical and exorbitantly expensive structure if said structure lacks efficacy.
  • oromagi
    oromagi avatar
    Debates: 97
    Forum posts: 3,799
    oromagi avatar
    oromagi
    --> @Greyparrot
    There’s little relation between American Conservatism and the present right wing of US Party politics. Generally, I’d call the Times more conservative than the Post. Most reporting suggests that  opinion @Post is neither ideological or interested in the truth, news and opinion are just  commodities pimped by Rupert Murdoch & Co.    but all that is neither here nor there. OP quotes one source then uses another source’ credentials. OP claims theOp-Ed  is liberal and reliable but using OPs own fact checker, the true source is neither. Can’t we agree that the argument is invalidated by the error?
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @secularmerlin
    Whatever the percentage of non visa overstays, it's not insignificant in impact dollars to the taxpayer, and all areas need to be addressed.

If the USA develops a facial recognition tracking policy for all new visas without shoring up the border, its like bailing water out of a ship without plugging the obvious holes.
  • Greyparrot
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot avatar
    Greyparrot
    --> @oromagi
    I mean sure we can invalidate it due to lack of credentials and authority, I guess.
  • TheDredPriateRoberts
    Forum posts: 3,358
    TheDredPriateRoberts
    --> @Swagnarok
    Alsa one perfect as yourself can't comprehend the flaws of us imperfect meer mortals, I would attempt to explain what a mistake is but how could you comprehend such a human flaw?  We are not worthy of your presence. 
  • secularmerlin
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin avatar
    secularmerlin
    --> @Greyparrot
    Won't making legal immigration more problematic only encourage people to overstay their visa rather than trying to reenter the country? I submit to you that border security will have a direct inverse effect on the number of immigrants that follow legal channels. There is no point in discussing the economic social or political ramifications of funding and executing a huge impractical and exorbitantly expensive security measure that lacks efficacy.