Theism vs. Atheism debate

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 540
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
If you don't lke the sun as an example, consider Neptune which was discovered in 1846.  Did it exist in 1845?   I have no problem saying it did.  
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@keithprosser
 I believe he is making a deeper philosophical distinction. Dividing the environment into separate entities, like "leaf" or "tree", is something that only occurs in our minds. It's also important to keep in mind that our perception of anything is an assimilation of mentally processed and packaged information. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Fallaneze
 I believe he is making a deeper philosophical distinction.
And you may be right.  What I'm trying to do is pin down what 'X exists' means. 

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
If you don't lke the sun as an example, consider Neptune which was discovered in 1846.  Did it exist in 1845?   I have no problem saying it did.
If someone who lived in 1845 claimed (in 1845) that Neptune (even by some other name) "exists" without evidence, their claim would rightly be dismissed.  That specious claim would not be supported by the evidence currently available at that moment in time.

Certainly we can reason that Neptune "existed-undiscovered" in 1845 - but only retroactively, based on evidence available to us now.

Radio waves are another good example of this.

Also, Russell's teapot.  If we discover a teapot in a solar orbit between Earth and Mars, did it "exist" before we discovered it?  Would it be fair for anyone to claim that they "know" there is a teapot in orbit between Earth and Mars before they have actual evidence?

No.  It only gains the quality of "extant" when we have evidence, and at that moment (when the evidence can no longer be ignored) it suddenly "existed" retroactively back to the point that our evidence can bear the weight of the particular claim.

If a god is "discovered" at some point in the future, would that make all of the current devout believers "right" today?

I'd say not.  They will only be "right" retroactively at-the-very-(hypothetical)-moment that their evidence can bear the weight of their peculiar claim.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
someone who lived in 1845 claimed (in 1845) that Neptune (even by some other name) "exists" without evidence, their claim would rightly be dismissed.  That specious claim would not be supported by the evidence currently available at that moment in time.
I see that as over-complication.   The question asked is whether neptune existed in 1845, purely for the purpose of clarifying the intuitive meaning of 'exist'.  I think the ordinary, plain meaning of exist is such that the answer is a simple 'yes'.

Agreed, there are issues about our 'knowledge concerning the existence of neptune',  but the question asked was not 'did we know Neptune existed in 1845?'  - the question was whether it existed in 1845.

Neptune did not change between 1845 and 1846 - what changed was us; we learned that neptune existed - in other words, the existence of neptune did not change, it was our knowledge its existence that changed.  

If i say 'neptune existed in 1845' I am saying something about the 'existential state' of that planet at that time.   I an not saying anything about our knowlegde of that state at that time.  If I wanted to say something about our knowlege then I wouldn't say 'neptune came intoexistence in 1846' - that sentence gives a completely incorrect picture of a planet popping into existence at that time.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
The question asked is whether neptune existed in 1845, purely for the purpose of clarifying the intuitive meaning of 'exist'.
I believe the meaning of "exist" should only include what is either (currently) scientifically verifiable (OR) logically necessary.

Exclusive, private, gnostic, personal Qualia, like consciousness, and other hypothetical things or experiences do not properly "exist" (unless and or until they can somehow be rigorously defined and Quantified, perhaps by brain-scans or some other method).

It is important to maintain a constant awareness of and vigilant respect of our epistemological limits.

People who say gods and ghosts and spirits or reincarnation or hyperspace or the multiverse "exist" and expect to be vindicated at some future point (perhaps after death) are not using the word correctly.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@nagisa3
Why do pieces necessitate a whole? And what are these pieces that can be objectively delineated?
The pieces are what you know.  Do you know "everything"?  If not, then you can logically deduce that you know "part of" "everything".
This seems weird to me. Is, in your opinion, knowledge part of "everything"? (Then You get into the whole how do I know that I know that I know that I know...)
Yes, knowledge is not "everything" but it is most certainly "part of" "everything".

Is knowledge certainly true? or is it just probable? If it is not certainly true, how could we say that knowledge is part of reality? 
Knowledge itself is not 100% accurate.  However, this is incidental to this particular questions because even inaccurate knowledge is not "nothingness".

I either think I know everything or don't know anything, personally if knowledge is certainly true. If knowledge is just probabilistic, I have no idea what I know. 
Knowledge itself is not 100% accurate.  However, this is incidental to this particular questions because even inaccurate knowledge is not "nothingness".
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@nagisa3
I think I am confused about what you mean by something and nothing again. But maybe we should revisit existence itself: I tend to go by: A thing is said to exist if change in the universe can be traced back to it. 
I believe in epistemological limits.  Something can be said to "exist" if it is scientifically verifiable and or a logical necessity.
the scientifically verifiable part of this I believe is equivalent to what I said.
Perhaps we've uncovered another sliver of common ground.

My question then to you is "does logic exist." That is, is logic a logical necessity or is it scientifically verifiable.
Yes, logic is a logical necessity.  Without logic we are spiders acting on pure instinct.

I believe this gets circular since science uses a particular logical system (or rather, particular logical systems since it changes depending on domain). And saying logic is logically necessary is clearly circular.
Logic is built on primitive axioms. [LINK]

My point here I guess is that the logical system used has little justification and even by using the classical Aristotlean logical system like non-contradiction etc. you get weird stuff in physics likes Schrodinger's cat etc. that seem to say, hey, you need a different system. 
We only have logic and intuition.  That's it.  Everything we do is a mix of the two to some degree, but I've found logic to be much more reliable than pure intuition.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@nagisa3
Your "imaginary friend" example is a little too generous for my taste.

I'd say that the "imaginary friend" may possibly "exist" beyond my epistemological limits, but since it is neither scientifically verifiable nor a logical necessity, it would not qualify as "real" or "actual" or "existent" in any practical or factual sense.
Let's use then an imaginary force (same idea, but a little more down to earth). Imagine all humans always lived their lives on planet x, which although having about the same mass as earth, spins about 17 times faster (ignoring all the practical issues of living on such a planet). They may well come up with a fundamental force that repels (let's say for good measure every object in the universe spun like this). This is a "fictitious" force in physics, in the same way as centripetal force is a fictitious force. My point is, the force is scientifically verifiable. Just like centripetal force is. And so would be the child's imaginary friend with a good definition of imaginary friend. 
Any Qualia can potentially be converted to Quanta if it is rigorously defined and scientifically and or logically verifiable.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
If I wanted to say something about our knowlege then I wouldn't say 'neptune came intoexistence in 1846' - that sentence gives a completely incorrect picture of a planet popping into existence at that time.
Someone in 1845 could say, factually, "there are only seven planets in our solar system".

Someone in 1846 might say, "ha-ha, you idiot, you were WRONG!!!  there are actually eight planets!!!!!"

However, I would say that in 1845 they were correct, and only in 1846 were they incorrect.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
Someone in 1845 could say, factually, "there are only seven planets in our solar system".
If it is a fact that only 7 planets existed in 1845, how could an 8th one be discovered?  It must have existed all along, waiting to be discovered.

I wouldsay the existence of Neptune is independent of our knowledge about it.  What the someone in 1845 should have saidis 'there are only 7 known planets' - that is factually true.   That there are only 7 is factually incorrect, albeit the error is not known.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
If it is a fact that only 7 planets existed in 1845, how could an 8th one be discovered?  It must have existed all along, waiting to be discovered.

I wouldsay the existence of Neptune is independent of our knowledge about it.  What the someone in 1845 should have saidis 'there are only 7 known planets' - that is factually true.   That there are only 7 is factually incorrect, albeit the error is not known.
Would you have confidence declaring "there is no god" a factual statement?

My argument is, that it is fair to call something a fact if all available evidence supports the statement and there is no (scientific and or logical) evidence contrary to the statement.

Facts are not immutable or eternal.  Many of them have a finite shelf-life.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I think the word 'fact' means slightly different things, depending on whether you are (figuratively) a 'scientist' or a 'mathematician'.   To a mathematician a fact is something that has been rigorously established and error is impossile.  Scientists are a lot more pragmatic - more or less a 'scientific fact' is something that hasn't been proven to be wrong!

Examples would be Pythagoras' theorem and newtons law of gravity respectively.   Pythagoras' theorm is true forever; newtons theory is considered true until something turns up which forces usto reject it.

So when you ask " Would you have confidence declaring "there is no god" a factual statement?"  the first issue is which sense of 'factual' is intended.

My view is 'there is no god' is a 'scientfic fact', not a 'mathematical fact', meaning that its not proven or provable by abstract logic but there is evidence against the existence ofgod, and nothing that forces rejection of it.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
My view is 'there is no god' is a 'scientfic fact', not a 'mathematical fact', meaning that its not proven or provable by abstract logic but there is evidence [?] against the existence ofgod, and nothing that forces rejection of it [rejection of the unspecified evidence against (a deistic) god?].
My view (in 1845) is "there is no Neptune" (no 8th planet) is a "scientific fact", not a "mathematical fact", meaning that in the absence of positive evidence, just like Russell's teapot, there is absolutely no reason to suppose that it "might" hypothetically "exist" and since it is neither a logical necessity nor scientifically verifiable, it is therefore indistinguishable from non-existent and as such it is perfectly reasonable to say, "there is no Neptune".

Not to mention the ontological back-flips required to determine the status of Pluto.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I agree - it was a scientific fact in 1845 that there were 7 planets - that is what you would find in text books of the time.   But according to a slighylty different sense of 'fact'  there were at least 8 planets. 
I think the lesson is that one has to be careful when one says things like 'X is afact' because it could mean that X is 'rock solid' or that X is 'to the best of our current information'.

my instinct is that the scientific meaning of 'fact' is not well suited to philosophical use.  That is a 'fact' is - by default - something rigorously proven and not subject to being overturned by a future discovery.   I think that means very few statements about the state of the world are strictly facts.

now allI have to is wonder what it was we were discussing! 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
And, keithprosser, something is said to exist if a change in the universe is traceable back to that thing. 
Everything exists and there is nothing that does not exist.   If there is something that does not exist, show it to me.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
Many people would argue that it is a contradiction in terms to know something that is false because knowledge is often defined as 'justified true belief'.

So joan cannot know the earth is flat.  She can believe it, but not know it.  False knowledge does not exist.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
A person with 10 heads. I can't show you something that doesn't exist of course, but we can imagine something that doesn't physically exist, if you just take everything to exist, it's a pretty useless term
Previously you wrote

something is said to exist if a change in the universe is traceable back to that thing. 
Inverted, that implies something is said to not exist if it does not change the universe.

But is it said that 10 headed people don't exist because decaheads don't cause change in the universe or is it sai that 10 headed people don't exist because there are no such things as decaheads?

I think you have confused a test of existence with a definition of existence.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
Dekaheads do not exist because there is no effect in the universe traceable back to them.
In my formulation, dekaheads have no traceable effect because they do not exist.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
Dekaheads' inability to affect anything is a consequence of their non-existence.   Their non-existence is not a consequence of their inability to affect anything.  Hence existence/non-existence is fundamental, impotence is derived.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@nagisa3
Exist means to occur, either physically or metaphysically.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@nagisa3
But what is your definition of existence?

What should we gain by a definition, as it can only lead us to other undefined terms?  (That's a quote, from Wittgenstein).

I'd say the meaning of 'existence' cannot expressed in ordinary language in away that is not circular or dependent on already comprehending the concept.  We acquire an understanding of the word 'existence' by interacting with the world, not by looking up 'Exists (verb)' in a dictionary.  

The meaning of existence is an important thing to learn about the world - the difference between something existing and something not existing is the difference between 'dinner' and 'no dinner', a distinction that has been crucial to every hungry living thing since the first peckish amoeba.

We learn by experience that somethings are present in the world, other things are absent.  We learn to associate the word 'existence' with the things that are and 'non-existence' with the things that are not.  

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
False knowledge does not exist.
In other words, you can't know anything about popular fictional characters.

I disagree that knowledge is necessarily apodictic truth.  Knowledge is simply data.

If you believed that knowledge can only be true facts, then you are going to live in a world where maybe 1% of what you "know" qualifies as "knowledge" and the rest is "grey area", or something else, I don't know what you would call it.  Do you have a specific term in mind?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@zedvictor4
Exist means to occur, either physically or metaphysically.
Ipso facto, it is impossible to imagine something that doesn't exist (by this definition).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@nagisa3
A person with 10 heads. I can't show you something that doesn't exist of course, but we can imagine something that doesn't physically exist, if you just take everything to exist, it's a pretty useless term
Your invocation of "a person with 10 heads" has caused me to write this response.  Do you believe this qualifies as "a change in the universe is traceable back to that thing [the 10 headed person]"?  Do you believe "a person with 10 heads" now exists simply because your description of it has caused some detectable thing to happen?

If someone is inspired to become a detective, does this mean that Sherlock Holmes properly exists (in your opinion)?

And if, as it appears, your current definition applies to every conceivable thing, should you perhaps refine your working definition?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I'd say the defintition of knowlege as 'justified true belief' is so widely used you need a very good reason to define 'knowlegde' as anthing else, and if you do it has to be made very clear. 

If you tacitly drop the requirement that an item of knowlege is true then chances are a lot of talking at cross-puposes will ensue!

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I'd say the defintition of knowlege as 'justified true belief' is so widely used you need a very good reason to define 'knowlegde' as anthing else, and if you do it has to be made very clear. 

If you tacitly drop the requirement that an item of knowlege is true then chances are a lot of talking at cross-puposes will ensue!
You and I both "know" a great number of things, but extremely few of them are necessarily true.

I thought you were the #1 advocate for "natural language"?
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
@nagisa3
What is this?

You might well say 'a unicorn', but that's not quite right - it's a picture of a unicorn.  We often don't bother to be pedantic, but sometimes we should be!   pedantically, Sherlock Holmes does not exist.  Stories about SH do exist, thoughts about SH do exist andso on but SH does not exist.

We could extend the meaning of 'X exists' so that it includes 'thoughts about X exist' , but I think that is asking for confusion and misunderstanding/  I much prefer a narrow sense of exist,albeit it means having to be a it pedantic about what it is that exists. 

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
I think Wittgenstein was right that 'meaning is use'.  Philosophers' usage of the word 'knowledge' is that it stands for JTB.  You are at liberty to use the word 'knowledge' (indeed any word) however you like, but only at the risk of being misunderstood.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
We could extend the meaning of 'X exists' so that it includes 'thoughts about X exist' , but I think that is asking for confusion and misunderstanding/  I much prefer a narrow sense of exist,albeit it means having to be a it pedantic about what it is that exists.  
I wholeheartedly agree.