the end of gun control (spin off thread)

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 42
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
outlaw the internet?  3d printers?  metal working machines?

make his own gun because he couldn't legally own one then killed 5 people (mass murder)

traceable gun LOL you don't attempt to trace a gun until after a murder, then what good is the trace?

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
"An armed society is a just society" Nice one. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Are there any videos that teach you step by step how to make a rifle? I want to make one. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
you mean like every part?

if you do, not yet, but if the demand is there so will the means.  There are some small companies like Red Jacket that had a tv show, they made the barrels as well, some of the other stuff probably was cheaper just to buy.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@Outplayz
There are affordable kits for muzzle loaders available. Check your state laws 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
shotguns are just a hollow pipe so there's always that, google zip guns if you never heard of them

also check out ak-47 lowers, basically just bent sheet metal.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
A pressurized pipe with a sealed breech.  Could be dangerous without critical thought, applicable knowledge, common sense, and testing.  To do it properly somehow you have to figure out how to do the choke.

Rifle barrels are difficult to make though, and even crude ones would be time consuming without an expensive machine shop.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
There's a YouTube kid who has made a bunch of guns.  Imo what would happen is they would make the bullets with the rifling like shotgun slugs, so the issue of barrels wouldn't be such an issue. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Outplayz
I remember some years ago I saw 22 caliber Gatling style gun kits that utilized the parts from two rugar 10/22 rifles if I remember correctly and they costed something over a couple hundred bucks at the time without the rifle parts.  I'm unsure of the NFA status, especially recently since there has been talk in Washington of changing how trigger mechanisms are considered, so you would definitely want to look into what kind of federal paperwork that would entail and of course your State laws will still apply.  That stuff should be pretty easy to look up on the internet. Perhaps the parts can be procured abroad as well?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
I've seen similar things you are describing but never looked into the legality etc.

I'm not sure what trigger restrictions could be made unless you totally ban semi autos.  Like the bump fire, same effect with a rubber band, also on the youtube.  That and other things were pre bump stock, so much for banning them.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Well, i live close to Oceanside, so maybe i'll go check out his store. He may give me the advice. It loos like they will even help you out... but i don't know. I can just go check out the store and tell him i saw him on this video. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
Which firearms are regulated under the NFA?
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
(6) a machinegun;
(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
(8) a destructive device.
[26 U.S.C. 5845; 27 CFR 479.11]
Last Reviewed July 18, 2016

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Snoopy
I was telling Dred that i live close to Oceanside so i can go to the guys store. But that video was made 5 years ago so i don't know if he's still in business after the recent "assault rifle" restrictions California has. I am assuming it is illegal to make them if they don't conform to the new laws. You have to put the clunky thing on the handle and all the other crap on the "scary" assault rifle. There is another store that is close to me, RifleGear, and they are pretty cool dudes. They made a double action revolver into a single to be able to sell it and once they sold it to me they made it back into double action. I've seen the rifles that are CA complaint and they just look horrible now... i don't think i'll be getting anymore with all the add ons to make it complaint. I actually want to buy bolt action... i'm scared those are going next.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
lol that's crazy, I would totally go to the store.  I'm not sure the status of polymer 80% lowers but I'm in the process of looking them up.  As a side note Gander Outdoors has Anderson aluminum lowers for $39.95  There's one within driving distance might go get 5 for that price.

upon a quick search the answer appears to be, yes

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
But as i told Snoopy, that video was 5 years old. Cali has a pretty harsh ban on the AR platform type rifles now. I wonder what effect that has on his business. Bc you can't have the rifles he was showing in the video anymore. You have to have a bunch of extra BS on it to make it CA compliant.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
I don't know, the 2 muslins got theirs from the neighbor via straw purchase, don't know how the laws fall in the time line.  But they used ar's to shoot up their work place. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
got theirs from the neighbor via straw purchase, don't know how the laws fall in the time line.  But they used ar's to shoot up their work place. 
So, if this happens, the investigators may need to run a trace, which requires a manually looking up a line of records from one transaction to another until they reach the dealer who dealt with the straw purchaser.  

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
Why?  Part of the background check is that you swear that are buying for yourself and not someone else.  It's impossible to prevent straw purchases.  They aren't generally punished very harshly away. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If a pattern ermerges from firearms picked up in crimes, the FBI can start to effectively investigate corrupted FFL holders.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
that's extremely rare, they are heavily regulated, I'm not sure that has ever happened more than a couple of times, if that.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
  It is extremely rare that information like that to actually be used for solving a violent crime, to the point where countries with registration systems (not to be confused with tracing) tend to have a hard time justifying the cost of record keeping (absent confiscation).  If an assailant ditches their sidearm, its probably not traceable to a suspect.

It is not that rare for law enforcement to investigate supply networks
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Snoopy
sure Maryland wasted over 5 million tax dollars with their bullet casing data base, which solved exactly ZERO crimes.  I've never read where the serial numbers are all that useful, if at all, remember the government sent all those machine guns to Mexico?  
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The "assault rifle" ban went into effect pretty recently. I think a little less than a year ago. That shooting may have contributed to the ban. It's a ridiculous ban bc you can still buy an AR... with it looks horrible with all the extra stuff you have to attach to it. 

This gun shop is cool bc it tells you what you can get and not... and the ones you can't get but can get with a small change to them like single action to double action revolvers. But anyways... this is what the rifles that fall under the ban look like now. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Outplayz
these silly bans for cosmetic reasons etc take away from the real issues and proper focus of those mentaly unstable who would perpetrate such crimes.
Oh in case no one noticed....
Federal judge blocks high-capacity ammunition ban in California.

tangent alert:  with all the bans and restrictions overturned explain how they aren't attacking the 2a

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
In the third case, the pajama-clad woman with a high-capacity magazine took on three armed intruders, firing at them while simultaneously calling for help on her phone.
Now that is one bad-ass women lol. 

Yeah, i've never understood the magazine bans. A good enough shooter can reload their weapon in seconds or carry more than one weapon if it is a mass shooting type scenario. If pirates were able to do damage with single shot firearms... we still got it easy. The article however was a positive. I thought you are going to show me an article that bans our already 10 capacity magazines... i was about to be really triggered. Glad the Judge has some common sense. One of my home defense firearms is a revolver... 7 shot capacity, but it's also the one i practice with the most. I'm a pretty darn good shot with it... and considering i load it with 357 mag for home (i practice with both 38spc and 357 so i know the difference in shot placement), i'm pretty confident anyone hit with one shot is hitting the ground. If anything, they can only take 2... which i factor in 'if' i miss one shot... i can fend off 3 people. But then again... i always have a weapon nearby so... even if i ran out i'm fine. But i love the revolver... 6 inch barrel so it's accurate as hell. 

I wanna buy a 500 mag snub nose revolver. Bc in Cali, you are suppose give some kind of warning before engaging... i don't know if that means warning shot or yelling you have a gun... but, i can't think of a better gun for a warning shot. I shoot that revolver, just one or two shots, at the range every now and then... it is like a bomb just went off. If i was a crook... i'd be like hell naw, not this house.  
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Outplayz
Yep, for the rare occasion that someone might have to live through an extended fight, people used to (and still do) simply load an extra sidearm before manufacturing  practices improved to the point they are today for magazine fed mechanisms.  I'm not sure that magazine limits would really have a negative impact in civilian life.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Snoopy
"Reloading was such a lengthy process that pirates would often carry several pistols and various bladed weapons into battle. Blackbeard was known to have carried six pistols, and Bartholomew Roberts was said to wear four pistols."

From a pirate site... what a bad-ass time. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Outplayz
They're selling out to the gun lobby.  Why have just one AR rifle?  What you need is hunting rifle, a plinky thing, and six pistols
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Snoopy
What you need is hunting rifle, a plinky thing, and six pistols
Well... you better wish this doesn't happen. If mass shooters realized a 308 (and higher) hunting rifles load just as easily as an AR, have same type of magazines on some, and extend clips for some... exist. You will see hell where ever they shot up. Man... a shotgun and 357 mag combo can do more damage than an AR in packed places.