Proving all (other) religions wrong.

Author: secularmerlin

Total: 526
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
If an atheist does not believe in god,  then certain implications flow. Would you disagree with that? 
I don't really agree no.
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Well thanks for your thoughts.  

I would take the view that an atheist, not believing in God must therefore believe in evolution.  And it also follows they must not believe in Hell or in Heaven. 

Is it possible for an atheist to believe anything else apart from evolution?  If so, can you provide an example? 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
For me atheism  means GOD principle and then evolution....But not an ethereal Caucasian bloke that screws virgins.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
So - then an atheist - does by implication believe something else - evolution but not just anything. This is exactly what I am talking about - implications.  It is never just atheism - but implications. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Well, belief is a dodgy word.

I currently prefer the idea of purpose rather than chance, simply based upon the illogic of the something from nothing principle. I therefore refer to purpose as the GOD principle........Not to be confused with any specific deity........And material evolution occurs in plain sight so does not require belief.

I would suggest that you actually misinterpret atheism.....Atheists simply do not accept your version of things, so no belief is required.

Nonetheless, at the end of the day it does all boil down to something from nothing, whether that be a big bang or a big god, or a big whatever. 

So in terms of creation I do not believe anything nor do I have any suggestions other than a principle of material creation.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Waffle. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
LOL.

And you don't waffle?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
You didn't like my post because you understood it.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Who said I did not like or understand your post. The fact is - it said nothing. that is why i said it was waffle. And with the greatest respect - that is what is was. 
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Well, belief is a dodgy word.
Waffle.  This could be applied to any word.  It is a cop out. 

I currently prefer the idea of purpose rather than chance, simply based upon the illogic of the something from nothing principle. I therefore refer to purpose as the GOD principle........Not to be confused with any specific deity........And material evolution occurs in plain sight so does not require belief.

Yes, I know you prefer this - so what? I prefer other things. So what? This is waffle. 

I would suggest that you actually misinterpret atheism.....Atheists simply do not accept your version of things, so no belief is required.
Your suggestion is waffle.   I don't think I misinterpret atheism.  Since Atheists have no beliefs or consistent position - how can you make such a generalised statement. 

Nonetheless, at the end of the day it does all boil down to something from nothing, whether that be a big bang or a big god, or a big whatever. 

So in terms of creation I do not believe anything nor do I have any suggestions other than a principle of material creation.

All my point above was that the implication of atheism is a belief in evolution.  This is a belief or doctrine that all atheists must hold to.  Implication. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
As I stated, you misinterpret atheism.

Atheism is nothing whatsoever to do with material evolution....They are completely separate issues....They can be associated, just as theism and evolution can be associated....Just as theism and music can be associated....Just as we can associate atheism and theism with anything, including each other....Nonetheless atheism is not a belief in evolution, whereas theism is a belief in imaginary deities.

In basic terms, atheists simply do not accept the existence of imaginary deities.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
As I stated, you misinterpret atheism.

Atheism is nothing whatsoever to do with material evolution....They are completely separate issues....They can be associated, just as theism and evolution can be associated....Just as theism and music can be associated....Just as we can associate atheism and theism with anything, including each other....Nonetheless atheism is not a belief in evolution, whereas theism is a belief in imaginary deities.

in basic terms, atheists simply do not accept the existence of imaginary deities.
What you say makes no sense to me. 

Atheism does not believe in God.  Yet the world came to exist somehow. Therefore EVERY Atheist believes in material evolution.  There is no alternative for them.  They are not separate issues.  That is an assumption. Presumption.  And a bad one at that.  Theism and evolution can be associated - but atheism and Creation cannot be associated.  Ipso Facto. It is impossible for an atheist to deny God and affirm creation. The two cannot consistently be compatible. Atheist - MUST believe EVOLUTION. It is the number one dogma of an atheist. It is something that all evolutionists believe.  As I said - implications. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Nope, atheism isn't a belief in anything. 

Material evolution is ongoing and perceivable, otherwise we would still be living in trees or caves, and not remotely discussing, using electronic devices. So no belief required. Though denial required for some.

Atheism just doesn't accept the deity idea.

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
You see you might think that neither atheism or skepticism necessitates nihilism. But it certainly does not prevent it - and it certainly encourages the thinking - of "there is no wrong - there is no right - and so far as I don't get caught - who cares? It does not provide a basis for looking after a world.  OR for the future. When it says it does - it has to borrow from other worldviews because atheism is DEVOID of beliefs. Isn't? You keep saying "Atheism is a non-system of non-beliefs".  But what you never go on to address is the implications of it.  But if you have no- beliefs - you have nothing.  An eclectic mix of every other worldviews' beliefs and doctrines is a fraudulent way of living life.   
Here's the BOOGEYMAN.

NIHILISM.

And yet, there are no NIHILISTS.

Any human wiped clean of all BELIEF would be non-functional.

Any human wiped clean of all MOTIVE would be paralyzed.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Tradesecret
In The Christian position the individual remains individual. Christians never become GOD or part of God.
Sure, ok, but if that's what you really think then perhaps you should stop saying UNIFICATION WITH GOD.

And maybe say something like, SLIGHTLY CLOSER TO GOD.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
Well thanks for your thoughts.  
You are very welcome.
I would take the view that an atheist, not believing in God must therefore believe in evolution.
Incorrect. The fact that evolution dirs take place is completely separate from the question of whether some god(s) exist. Either evolution is an observable part of reality and some god(s) exist or evolution is an observable part of reality and no god(s) exist. 
  And it also follows they must not believe in Hell or in Heaven. 
The question of whether or not there is a heaven or hell, whether or not they are the Christian conceptions of heaven and hell and even what the official Christian conceptions of those places even are is clearly not informed by a belief in some god(s) since many theists and even some Christians do not believe in any such places and it doesn't prevent them from believing in god(s). I am also not prepared to discount the idea of some atheist especially a self identified religious atheist that did believe in something they qualified as heaven and/or hell.
Is it possible for an atheist to believe anything else apart from evolution?  If so, can you provide an example? 
There were atheists before the discovery of evolution as a driving force in biology including the classic greek skeptics. You are welcome to research the topic but clearly they were atheists and by the necessity of being unaware of the concept of evolution did not believe in it. If the theory of evolution (as separate from the process of evolution) were disproved tomorrow I would not stop being an atheist. Your personal incredulity is not a rational argument.