hay alguien que hable espanol aqui?

Author: Wrick-It-Ralph

Total: 66
Wrick-It-Ralph
Debates: 44
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Vader
Nice. That doesn't surprise me.  You said you took Spanish classes and the way they teach them it's easy to forgot a detail here or there.  One thing I always forget is adjective/noun agreement because we don't do that in English.  

My trick is to say the phrase in my head using Spanish grammar so it's easier to build the word.  It makes the English version sound dumb in your head, but it translates easily 

On a side note.  Glad to meet another hablante de espanol.   gracias. 
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Vader
Just seen your other post.  I4 is the second level right?  I think that's where I test as well.  I haven't taken the test in a while so I don't remember.  I more or less taught myself because I used to be a door to door salesman and I had to learn Spanish to sell to Spanish speaking customers because my boss was a jerk and would drop me in all Spanish speaking neighborhoods.  I was stubborn, so I decided "I'll just learn enough Spanish to talk to them"   I basically could sell a magazine in fluent Spanish with ease, but I didn't learn about how different Spanish was until later on when I realized that conjugations were a thing. 
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@secularmerlin
I think I would agree with that. 
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Alec
To the first comment.   Those Hispanics are also americans.  You don't have any extra claim to this country over them just because you happened to be born here.  This country was built on immigrants and you obviously are thinking with a heavy and illogical bias toward Hispanics for no reaons. 

To the second one.  Wow that's really cringy.  You just compare speaking Spanish to inciting violence.  You don't want to preserve anything.  You want to abuse the first amendment and fly your racism in the face of American values.  It's clear to me that you're making this decision based off of racism.  Because you haven't provided any actual practical reason for assimilation.  You just make appeals to nationalism (which is just another face of bigotry) while at the same time telling other people they can't have their nationalism. 

Your views make you quite weak minded actually because you get your panties in a bunch over some immigrants while the rest of us are making progress as a species.   

You know what.  I think bigots should have to assimilate into not bigot culture and that the "bigot" language should be illegal to speak.  Either that or go back to bigot country and gtfo out of America.  Everything that comes out of your mouth on this subject is complete mind garbage and it was a disservice to my eyes to read your racist drivel. 

I would say have a nice day.  But I wouldn't mean. it. 
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Vader
@Wrick-It-Ralph
If I am a racist, then your a traitor to this country.  We both can insult.  It is not productive.

Address my concern that if Hispanics don't assiliminate, they will break away from the US as history has confirmed or concede.

You both are acting like mustardness, who labels his opponents.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Address my concern that if Hispanics don't assiliminate, they will break away from the US as history has confirmed or concede.
What do you mean by "assimilate"?
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Basically, speaking English within the public sphere (exceptions apply but in general the only language they would be speaking is English, even if they know others)
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Basically, speaking English within the public sphere (exceptions apply but in general the only language they would be speaking is English, even if they know others)
If a Hispanic is working, paying taxes and voting while also not being involved in crime but doesn't speak English. Has he assimilated?
If not why is assimilation so important? 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
He has not assimilated.  Assimilation is necessary to prevent separatist movements as history has confirmed.  Spain didn't assimilate Catalonia and now, Catalonia wants to break away to form their own country.  If Catalonia were more culturally similar to Spain, they would be less likely to break away from Spain, therefore keeping the country more united.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Spain didn't assimilate Catalonia and now, Catalonia wants to break away to form their own country.  If Catalonia were more culturally similar to Spain, they would be less likely to break away from Spain, therefore keeping the country more united.
Are you telling me this entire conflict was based around language?

Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
What else could the true cause be?  If it was because the Catalonian GDP per capita was higher, then you would see Madrid(which has a higher GDP per capita then both Catalonia and Spain) also wanting to break away.  However, Madrid does not want independence.  It is more then the state of their economy that is the cause of the separatist movement.  Catalonia has been stating that they have their own unique culture and that is worthy of separatism however if they didn't have a unique culture, then they wouldn't want to break away.
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Thanks for not calling me racist.  It's good to have an open mind.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
What else could the true cause be?
Claim to their own governance because they didn't like the one's who were in charge. It is more complicated than language. To bog it down to that is reductionist and leaves out much more important reasons like governance.

Do you feel like Brexit occurred because of the language difference between other EU countries? 
Catalonia has been stating that they have their own unique culture and that is worthy of separatism however if they didn't have a unique culture, then they wouldn't want to break away.
Culture is more than just language. Sure that can be apart of it but there is more to it. 
Thanks for not calling me racist.  It's good to have an open mind.
I still think you are wrong because you are misinformed which doesn't rebut what you said here but I just wanted to add more context. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Claim to their own governance because they didn't like the one's who were in charge. It is more complicated than language.
When you don't like the guy who is in charge, you vote someone who you like to be in charge.  Why didn't they like him?

The separatist movement is at least partly due to culture.

Tabarnia's barbed messages have been denounced as trivializing the true independence movement, which pro-secessionists say is based on Catalonia's distinct culture and identity

The region that is more hispaniphone, Tabarnia has less separatist support.  I wonder why.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
When you don't like the guy who is in charge, you vote someone who you like to be in charge.  Why didn't they like him?
>>The new parliament adopted the Catalan Sovereignty Declaration in early 2013, asserting that the Catalan people had the right to decide their own political future. ... Despite the Spanish court also banning the non-binding vote, the Catalan self-determination referendum went ahead on 9 November 2014.
I am guessing it is because they are not allowed freedom to do what they want. 
The separatist movement is at least partly due to culture.
Language is a higher reason or is there something else that is a bigger reason?

The region that is more hispaniphone, Tabarnia has less separatist support.  I wonder why.
The evidence was 1 video of 1 protest. Can you please give me a poll or non-anecdotal evidence? 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Alec
This land is the freedom of language. We can speak how we want and no one can stop that. You putting the bias on Mexicans and saying they will take over is so fucking racist. I usually am not this liberal, but god this is so racist and xenophobic

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
It stands for Intermediate 4. The max level for Intermediate is 5
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Vader
I would say he is misinformed. The problem is that he puts more emphasis on "assimilation" then an individual being a legal citizen or not. The problem is that is what determines "assimilation" not his condition which is speak the same language.  
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Vader
My level is A2.  I have trouble getting further than that because certain specific words always stump me even though my general speech is pretty solid. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
That's why I say these types of argument always boil down to either bigotry or xenophobia.  I'm not saying the people advocating are necessarily racist, but rather they don't understand what it is they're advocating for. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
but rather they don't understand what it is they're advocating for. 
That would be true.

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
\m/ (0.0) \m/
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
\m/ (0.0) \m/
What are you trying to say with that?
Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@TheRealNihilist
nothing really. 
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Your cited article states:

Numerous separatists were critical of the concept and responded that the parody unfairly trivializes Catalonia's independence movement, which is based in part on Catalonia's distinct culture and identity

Language is a higher reason or is there something else that is a bigger reason?
If it's not language/culture, then what else is it?  It's up to you to provide an alternative source of independence desire and then I'll see if it works or not.  You cited that Catalans wanted to vote, however, Spain is a democracy, otherwise they would not be allowed to be in the EU.  Catalans can in other words, already vote.  
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
nothing really. 
Saying nothing is self-defeating because to say you did nothing means that you did something. 

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Alec
It's up to you to provide an alternative source of independence desire and then I'll see if it works or not

False.  this is argument from ignorance fallacy and creating a false problem aka begging the question. 

You're assuming there's a problem that needs solved and then saying we need a solution (false problem begging the question)

Then you go on to say that if there is no alternative to the false problem, that yours gets to be used (argument from ignorance.)  No solution can be better if the solution to the FALSE problem is bad (which it is.)
Alec
Alec
-->
@Wrick-It-Ralph
How do you propose on preventing separatist movements in this country?  It seems that your willing to let the USA break apart just to let the Latinos keep their culture.  Assimilation is not racist.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
If it's not language/culture, then what else is it?
Language and culture is not the same thing. Language is apart of culture. I would say it is based on political reasons but then that can be reduced to cultural reasons. You have yet to find an example of language being primarily the reason of separation. Do come back to me with evidence.
It's up to you to provide an alternative source of independence desire and then I'll see if it works or not. 
I don't understand this. Are you pushing the burden to me when you are unable to fulfil your side of the burden? If it isn't that then this comment is a non-sequitur for your claim language being the reason for separation or the start of it.
You cited that Catalans wanted to vote, however, Spain is a democracy, otherwise they would not be allowed to be in the EU.
The Catalans wanted independence which was being stopped by Spain. If democracy was actually the rule there the government in charge should not be allowed to stop a vote taking place.
Despite the Spanish court also banning the non-binding vote, the Catalan self-determination referendum went ahead on 9 November 2014.
They weren't able to use the democracy to vote for something they wanted.
Catalans can in other words, already vote.  
Not true. 

7 days later

Wrick-It-Ralph
Wrick-It-Ralph
-->
@Alec
How do you propose on preventing separatist movements in this country?  It seems that your willing to let the USA break apart just to let the Latinos keep their culture.  Assimilation is not racist.

You're creating a false problem.  America has survived with differing cultures since it's genesis and so have a lot of societies in fact.  

Assimilation by itself is not racist.  Forced assimilation pointed specifically at races and cultures is racist.