Archived
Read-only
Total: 103
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
I think you're a bit too data-driven; where data is not present, logic suffices. The absence of data is not justification for suggesting we cannot make claims that are meaningful and weighty. That philosophical note aside, here are my replies, such as they are.
Which is why added the explanation part as well. If a person does not have evidence they can explain why something would work or fail.
Logic. If users do not have to write RFDs, it becomes easier for them to vote bomb (less effort involved) and harder for moderation to detect (sense we cannot draw inferences from their RFDs). Instead, moderation would need to rely more heavily on patterns of voting, which remains our chief tool in the status quo, to make those kinds of assessments.
My question was directed to opt-out debates. Are those debates not going to have RFD's? Another way which I can read your statement here is that you guys have already implemented RFD's so why are you defending it as if I have a problem with? If I am wrong on both conclusion do tell.
I do have data, though. DDO has an opt-out system.
How do you even access that?
No one used it. Like, literally no one. Besides, most people are going to want to be able to appeal to have obvious vote bombs and bad votes removed, because most people aren't really going to want those kinds of votes to stand on their debates.
Okay.
Have you seen how pissed people get when they report votes and those votes don't get removed?
Yes I have been mad.
Imagine that, but multiplied. So, no, most people are not going to opt-out.
My question would be why even have a vote on something that from prior knowledge from DDO barely anyone used? 
If you accept a debate without reading the rules, someone (not me) might argue that you can't complain when the rules come back to bite you. It's a legitimate argument. Certainly, it's mitigating, but I don't think it totally defeats the argument you're making. 
Surely if you or Virtuoso decide to make a poll about how many people actually read the restrictions of the debate. You would have data to support using colour to highlight key data or realise people for the most part from people who engaged with the pool actually read the restrictions.
 Either you consented, and so you can't complain. 
This doesn't make sense. If I have a problem lets say with my contract and would like a raise. Your answer would be "you consented" "so you can't complain". The problem here is that laws are put in place in order for unfair contracts not specifically asking for a raise but to a contract you consented to but did not know what the extent of the harm that contract can do to you when in the process of fulfilling the contract. Do you have something in place for that?
Or you failed to actually read the rules, and so you can't complain.
Yes people should be punished for not following the rules but if the majority of people who are new to this site do not even bother reading the rules. Shouldn't you or Virtuoso find a new way to highlight the rules of the site? Why not at the bottom of the page have "Rules and Code of Conduct" coloured differently to stand out and in order for the user to remove that colour they would have to click. I would also like you or Virutoso to add a lite version of the rules right at the start of it so that people would have less excuses for not reading it. 

you're weighing the mitigated danger of users inadvertently accepting opt-out debates against the benefits of increased flexibility for that minority of users who wants it
Flexibility comes at a cost. I much rather have everyone following the same rules of debating then having opt-out debates which can lead to not as heavily moderated un-fair voting. 
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
1) Plan C: Accounts must have read the site's COC AND completed at least 2 non-troll debates without any forfeits OR posted 100 forum posts

2) First choice - Plan A - A troll debate is any (a) competition-style debate (e.g. rap battle, talent show, poetry competition), (b) debate primarily designed to be humorous or facetious or containing primarily humorous or facetious content, and (c) debate on a truism (e.g. "a bachelor is someone who is unmarried"). - - I don't care about plan b or plan c.

3) Should there be a voting moderation opt-out possibility on debates? - - YES

4) What should count as a sufficient vote in the choose-winner voting system?  Should we keep the current stop-gap system? - - NO
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Question 1

B - 2
C - 9

Question 2

A - 21
B - 15
C - 12

Question 3

Yes - 4
No - 6

Question 4

Yes - 9
No - 1  

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@3RU7AL
Please rank A, B, and C. If you don't care about B or C, just come up with some ranking arbitrarily.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
My question was directed to opt-out debates. Are those debates not going to have RFD's?
RFDs are effectively optional on unmoderated debates, precisely because the votes on such debates are not subject to review. 

My question would be why even have a vote on something that from prior knowledge from DDO barely anyone used? 
Because there is always a small minority that would like the option. I had at least one user ask for this kind of functionality already on DART. Just because it is the desire of a minority does not mean it is unworthy of community discussion and analysis.

This doesn't make sense. If I have a problem lets say with my contract and would like a raise. 
That's not really analogous. It's a two-party relationship, not a decision-making framework, and understood to be open to renegotiation in a way that debates are not.

Imagine a situation where I have a dispute with Whiteflame. So, I ask you, Virt, and RM to decide which of us--I or Whiteflame--was right. I agree to abide by your decision, no matter how you reach it. It would be intensely unfair of me if, after the three of you reach a verdict, to then complain about it. This example is far more analogous, because it's actually parallel to what is going on.

Yes people should be punished for not following the rules but if the majority of people who are new to this site do not even bother reading the rules.
And that is why the argument that "you failed to actually read the rules, and so you can't complain" is only mitigating.

Flexibility comes at a cost.
Right, which is why each voter in this MEEP needs to make a decision as to which is more important to them: the mitigated danger of users inadvertently accepting opt-out debates against the benefits of increased flexibility for that minority of users who wants it.

I think, also, that you're misconstruing my comments here as arguing for or against any particular policy. I am not. You asked what the arguments of one side of this debate may be, and I am furnishing them. That doesn't imply agreement with those argument. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
I had at least one user ask for this kind of functionality already on DART. Just because it is the desire of a minority does not mean it is unworthy of community discussion and analysis.
1) It takes one person for you to take something seriously? 2) By prioritising the minority the majority would have to wait until what they want is heard through a democratic vote.  
and understood to be open to renegotiation in a way that debates are not.
So it is not final?
It would be intensely unfair of me if, after the three of you reach a verdict, to then complain about it. 
No it isn't if you have found something that changed your idea of initially allowing me to reach a verdict. 
And that is why the argument that "you failed to actually read the rules, and so you can't complain" is only mitigating.
Why not find a better way of presenting the rules in order to mitigate it even less by first finding out if this is a common problem with people on this site?
That doesn't imply agreement with those argument. 
I know but I wouldn't deem most of the people wanting a yes to number 3 being reasonable. 
RationalMadman said no. Ragnar said no. Me no. Alec said yes. Ramshutu said no. Speedrace said no. Our_Boat_Is_Right said yes. SupaDudz said no. Greyparrot said no. Swagnarok said yes. 3RU7AL said yes.

So out of the yes people I would consider Ragnar as the only reasonable one I can find. I don't consider Alec or Our_Boat_Is_Right reasonable but I don't know enough about Swagnarok or 3RU7AL to deem them anything. You might say why does this matter? I would say since a democracy is not a good way to provide what is best for the site. I would say the best way to make the best case for either side is with a debate. This can be pre-planned in the forum page and you, Virtuoso, Ramshutu, RM, Debateart.com can be the judges. With this people can see both sides of the argument while also seeing from the people in charge who made the most compelling case and who was more justified in their position. 

A yes or no question. Would troll debates counts towards the leader-boards? 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@bsh1
Please rank A, B, and C. If you don't care about B or C, just come up with some ranking arbitrarily.
ABC
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
1) It takes one person for you to take something seriously? 2) By prioritising the minority the majority would have to wait until what they want is heard through a democratic vote.  
That's disingenuous, and I think you know that. Clearly, if a user makes a reasonable argument for a policy change, I, as the moderator have a responsibility to ask whether that policy change should be adopted or put to the community vote. If I believe that there are users who would desire the policy shift or might benefit from it, and I believe the policy to be feasible and reasonable, then I am generally inclined to entertain it. There is no harm in bringing such a policy to the community to garner the community's feedback. In short, I take serious ideas seriously, irrespective of the volume of people who express it. Ideas should be judged on their merits, and not on the number of people espousing them.

The second point you raise is not really coherent. If anything, democratic fora such as this prioritize the majority, and since there is no way of knowing what the majority wants until you put it to a vote, interpreting your remark as prior to the democratic process makes no sense either.

No it isn't if you have found something that changed your idea of initially allowing me to reach a verdict. 
Then it would never be possible to finally arbitrate anything. The whole notion of consent is that you accept the risks. If I consent to accept your decision, irrespective of how you reached it, there is no possible grounds for me to legitimately complain, because I have accepted the risk that you could act in a wholly capricious manner.

Someone who opts out is doing just that: accepting the risk that any voter could vote in anyway for any reason. Accepting that risk means that no outcome could be legitimately objected to on the part of the accepting parties.

Why not find a better way of presenting the rules in order to mitigate it even less by first finding out if this is a common problem with people on this site?
That's a wholly separate and tangential issue, and is not germane to answering the question at hand.

I know but I wouldn't deem most of the people wanting a yes to number 3 being reasonable. 
I am not going to judge the specific users, but I think the argument for the policy change is extremely reasonable. Just as there's a reasonable argument to be made for the status quo.

Would troll debates counts towards the leader-boards? 
Yes. But that has nothing to do with the opt-out.
bsh1
bsh1
Question 1

B - 2
C - 9

Question 2

A - 24
B - 17
C - 13

Question 3

Yes - 4
No - 6

Question 4

Yes - 9
No - 1  

bsh1
bsh1
Time Check

About 11 hours and 45 minutes remain to cast your votes!
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
1. C
2. B
3. Yes, so long as it's agreed to by both debaters
4. Yes
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@whiteflame
Can you rank the choices for question 2?
whiteflame
Debates: 27
whiteflame
-->
@bsh1
B>A>C
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@whiteflame
Thx
bsh1
bsh1
Question 1

B - 2
C - 10

Question 2

A - 26
B - 20
C - 14

Question 3

Yes - 5
No - 6

Question 4

Yes - 10
No - 1  

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
That's disingenuous, and I think you know that.
You said this:
I had at least one user ask for this kind of functionality already on DART. 
I got this:
It takes one person for you to take something seriously? 
Don't see how this is disingenuous when you said 1 person asked for the functionality and then you decided to vote on it.
The second point you raise is not really coherent. If anything, democratic fora such as this prioritize the majority, and since there is no way of knowing what the majority wants until you put it to a vote, interpreting your remark as prior to the democratic process makes no sense either.
Okay. 
Then it would never be possible to finally arbitrate anything. The whole notion of consent is that you accept the risks. If I consent to accept your decision, irrespective of how you reached it, there is no possible grounds for me to legitimately complain, because I have accepted the risk that you could act in a wholly capricious manner.

Someone who opts out is doing just that: accepting the risk that any voter could vote in anyway for any reason. Accepting that risk means that no outcome could be legitimately objected to on the part of the accepting parties.
Okay.
That's a wholly separate and tangential issue, and is not germane to answering the question at hand.
Okay.
I am not going to judge the specific users, but I think the argument for the policy change is extremely reasonable. Just as there's a reasonable argument to be made for the status quo.
Okay.
Yes. But that has nothing to do with the opt-out.
Okay. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Don't see how this is disingenuous
Disingenuous in the sense that it implied that I would somehow treat any issue any individual users raised as serious, which was, even without my subsequent reply, a ridiculous implication.

That being said, I it seems like I've answered your questions? Hopefully my responses were helpful.
spacetime
spacetime
-->
@DebateArt.com
@bsh1
STOP SENDING NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS SHIT
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@spacetime
Nice to see you around again.

And, notifications will be sent out as deemed appropriate by moderation. If you dislike the notifications, I am sorry. But they are hardly an onerous burden to bear. I've said this to you before, and posting in all caps is not going to change my answer.
spacetime
spacetime
-->
@bsh1
what a faggot
Debaticus
Debates: 10
Debaticus
-->
@bsh1
1.) B
2.) A
3.) No
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Debaticus
Could you rank the options for question 2 please?
bsh1
bsh1
Question 1

B - 3
C - 10

Question 2

A - 26
B - 20
C - 14

Question 3

Yes - 5
No - 7

Question 4

Yes - 10
No - 1  
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
It didn't seem like I get through to you with my concerns so I left your statements with an okay ending all of them.

Have a nice life. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It didn't seem like I get through to you with my concerns so I left your statements with an okay ending all of them.
No, I understood your concerns, and attempted to address them within the context of this particular MEEP process and the questions it poses.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
No, I understood your concerns, and attempted to address them within the context of this particular MEEP process and the questions it poses.
I don't think so. How are you going to judge what is decided here would help the site? 

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
How are you going to judge what is decided here would help the site? 
The whole raison d'etre of the MEEP process is to empower the community to judge whether whether these proposals would help the site. I am bound to honor their verdict, whatever that may be.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
My question wasn't about people voting. It is how you are going to measure it to be a success for this site. There are two options for most of those questions. How would you know that was the right choice in respect to what was best for the site? 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
My question wasn't about people voting. It is how you are going to measure it to be a success for this site. There are two options for most of those questions. How would you know that was the right choice in respect to what was best for the site? 
Regarding the particular questions in the MEEP?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
Yes. 
If you can also point the aim of it and then what you expect to happen after it is finished when these choices have enough time to see whether it was a good or bad thing for the site.