Agnosticism =/= Theism

Therefore,

Agnosticism = Atheism (not theism).
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
My faith isn't blindly following scraps of paper from the middle east. We are a living faith with Holy Orders and active Monasticism.Our faith is Truth worship. Something you don't understand because in your mind it is "Oh no, anything but that."And you certainly aren't judging rightly.No, the epistemological black hole comes from pride and false humility. It isn't that one in that situation doesn't know, it is that they know better. They know better than to even receive instruction, because if they can't know, no one can know!It is faith in one's own understanding, not faith in The Truth, which has long been scribbled away as some absurdity.
You don't seem to understand standards of evidence.

If you have sound evidence, you don't need faith.

And you don't need a book, or a church in order to know god(s).
TwoMan
Debates: 0
TwoMan
-->
@keithprosser
So I don't agree with atheism=scepticism.   For me scepticism=agnosticism.
There have been a few definitions of atheism submitted here and depending on the very specific wording of the term, i think both words can be considered to be a position of skepticism. By and large, I would agree with you though, as the generally accepted definition of agnosticism probably more closely hews to skepticism.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
My faith isn't blindly following scraps of paper from the middle east. We are a living faith with Holy Orders and active Monasticism.Our faith is Truth worship. Something you don't understand because in your mind it is "Oh no, anything but that."And you certainly aren't judging rightly.No, the epistemological black hole comes from pride and false humility. It isn't that one in that situation doesn't know, it is that they know better. They know better than to even receive instruction, because if they can't know, no one can know!It is faith in one's own understanding, not faith in The Truth, which has long been scribbled away as some absurdity.
You don't seem to understand standards of evidence.

And you don't need a book, or a church in order to know god(s).

Normally you need faith to act reasonably upon sound evidence.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
There are people who believe gods exist, people who believe gods don't exist and people who are uncertain if gods exist.

I've never seen a good reason for not using 'atheists', 'theists' and 'agnostics' for those groups.  

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@TwoMan
Does it need to be complicated?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
You are conflating "faith" with "confidence".
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
Evidence for what? I see plenty of evidence right now that you don't even know what you want evidence for. You have dismissed something, and are unwilling to understand it to the point that evidence would be meaningful.

I doubt evidence for you is any more substantial than believing what you read. I see this as a pretentious argument.

But truly, you don't need a book or teacher to know The Ultimate Reality exists. It's existence is self evident. And it should also be self evident that one's influences, priorities, attachments, aversions, etc. Have an effect on one's ability to be completwly honest toward The Truth.

And what is our religion? 

Truth worship.

Purifying the intellect.

And we have ways of going about this that help people at all stages of development. You don't understand our recognize our methods. You are simply dismissive. 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
There are people who believe gods exist (theists, deists), people who believe gods don't exist (non-theists, non-deists) and people who are uncertain if gods exist (undecided, also non-theists, non-deists).

If you're not a theist, then you're a de facto atheist.

If a belief is illogical and or has zero verifiable evidence, then it is perfectly fair to say, "it does not exist" (non-Quanta).
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL

Hebrews 11:  1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
Not based on Quantifiable evidence.  Faith is the exact opposite of a justified, evidence based belief.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Not based on Quantifiable evidence.  Faith is the exact opposite of a justified, evidence based belief.
Faith is not thinking that he can, but knowing that he will.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
Faith is not thinking that he can, but knowing that he will.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  You are ignoring your epistemological limits.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@3RU7AL
Fatih, confidence and trust are synonyms.

I trust, have faith and confident that the vehicle approaching me will not cross over the center to a great degree to cause me to drive off the road and that is based observed by me evidence { observed reality }.

Yes, we know that this does happen occasionally.

God = Universe ergo God exists as Universe.

Uni - verse = one{ single } verse { narrative as expressed via occupied space }

" U "niverse { " G "od } =

1}eternally existent, metaphyical-1, mind/intellect/concepts and ego ergo concepts of God/Universe, Space, Time, Dogs etc,

-----metaphysical line of demarcation-----------

2} eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied space,

3} eternally existent, finite, occupied space Universe.

This is the primary Cosmic Trinity set, that,  none have ever added to it, or invalided it, with any rational, logical common sense and, none ever will.

123, ABC thats how easy " U "niverse { " G "od }can be...sung to M Jackson tune

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about.  You are ignoring your epistemological limits.
'Less you fancy yourself a god, I suppose you'll disregard your epistemological limits in order to act reasonably upon sound evidence.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@mustardness
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
In a religious context, "faith" has a little more baggage than the dictionary (which is merely a reflection of common usage and not authoritative).
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@3RU7AL
If you're not a theist, then you're a de facto atheist.
If there were three boxes on a form, I wonder how many agnostics would tick the atheist box because they think of themselves as 'de facto atheists'!

I suppose one could argue that the a-prefix means it's a binary thing, but wikipedia has a page on that.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@3RU7AL

SNY----Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
3Ru---In a religious context, "faith" has a little more baggage than the dictionary (which is merely a reflection of common usage and not authoritative).

Oops. 3Ru Yove confused Snoops comments with mine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fatih, confidence and trust are synonyms.

I trust, have faith and confident that the vehicle approaching me will not cross over the center to a great degree to cause me to drive off the road and that is based observed by me evidence { observed reality }.

Yes, we know that this does happen occasionally.

God = Universe ergo God exists as Universe.

Uni - verse = one{ single } verse { narrative as expressed via occupied space }

" U "niverse { " G "od } =

1} eternally existent, metaphyical-1, mind/intellect/concepts and ego ergo concepts of God/Universe, Space, Time, Dogs etc,

-----metaphysical line of demarcation-----------

2} eternally existent, macro-infinite non-occupied space,

3} eternally existent, finite, occupied space Universe.

This is the primary Cosmic Trinity set, that,  none have ever added to it, or invalidated this set, with any rational, logical common sense and, none ever will.

123, ABC thats how easy " U "niverse { " G "od }can be...sung to M Jackson tune

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
In a religious context, "faith" has a little more baggage than the dictionary (which is merely a reflection of common usage and not authoritative).
If faith had no baggage, what would you have faith in?  You may not follow the same faith, but you have the same kind of faith as a Christian or a Jew.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
If faith had no baggage, what would you have faith in?
He said it has "a little more baggage than the dictionary". This has got to be an intentional misrepresentation.
You may not follow the same faith, but you have the same kind of faith as a Christian or a Jew.
I don't like the same ice cream as you but you still like the same kind of ice cream as me. What are you even saying?
You basically said no then yes.
You said you don't have the same faith then you said you have the same kind of faith. 

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheRealNihilist
If faith had no baggage, what would you have faith in?
He said it has "a little more baggage than the dictionary". This has got to be an intentional misrepresentation.
Faith in anything has baggage... The misrepresentation, if there is one, has been presented to 3RU7AL   by someone other than myself.
You may not follow the same faith, but you have the same kind of faith as a Christian or a Jew
I don't like the same ice cream as you but you still like the same kind of ice cream as me. What are you even saying?
You basically said no then yes.
You said you don't have the same faith then you said you have the same kind of faith. 
I'm saying that although you have faith which runs contrary to mine, we are both still referring to faith.  Christians and Jews have the same kind of faith as you in that sense.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
If faith had no baggage, what would you have faith in?  You may not follow the same faith, but you have the same kind of faith as a Christian or a Jew.
Confidence in hard data is not the same as faith in a bronze age superstition.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Snoopy
Faith in anything has baggage... The misrepresentation, if there is one, has been presented to 3RU7AL   by someone other than myself.
Who?
That would mean you represented the misrepresentation well if you are correct.
Just give me a # [Insert Number of the post]
I'm saying that although your faith is placed in different things, we are both still referring to faith.
You really confusing way of saying it before.
What do you mean by fate? 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
I'm saying that although your faith is placed in different things, we are both still referring to faith.
Logic and data =/= superstition.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
Confidence in hard data is not the same as faith in a bronze age superstition.
The "hard data" is different from the "bronze age superstition".  Faith is still faith

I'm curious.  Why are you pressing such a simple concept? 

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@keithprosser
I suppose one could argue that the a-prefix means it's a binary thing, but wikipedia has a page on that.
And you have "intuition" to support your view?

I'm not saying "you're definitely wrong", I'm asking you to convince me that there's a practical difference between "atheist" and "agnostic".

Neither one of them is a theist.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@3RU7AL
I have read enough writings from the saints of the last 2,000 years and even monastics up until this day to know that what we believe is not "bronze age superstition".

As I will repeat ad nauseum until it stops changing into something other in your mind...

Christianity is Truth worship through the purifying of the intellect. This is not a superstitious faith.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Snoopy
The "hard data" is different from the "bronze age superstition".  Faith is still faith, and I'm guessing you believe that faith in "bronze age superstition" is misplaced.
So, when you say "faith" (like "faith in god") do you mean "100% confidence" or just "some unspecified level of confidence"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Mopac
Christianity is Truth worship through the purifying of the intellect. This is not a superstitious faith.
Your naked assertions are uncompelling.  More logic please.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@3RU7AL
So, when you say "faith" (like "faith in god") do you mean "100% confidence" or just "some unspecified level of confidence"?
Complete confidence is knowing, which is a result of faith.  Faith is not always synonymous with such a state.