Is it irrational to believe that no God or god(s) exist?

Author: Fallaneze

Total: 128
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Orthodoxy is certainly not about manipulation or control.

"You are delusional unless you believe me" is not what The Church teaches.

You make it an arbitrary thing, but perhaps that is because you are judging based on outward appearances. The Church is a hospital that treats prelest, and if it actually does have a knowledge of these matters, it's claim to be a hospital of spiritual sickness is not a claim stemming from haughtiness but truth.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
So as an Orthodox Christian... do you think i have a spiritual illness? That's really the question, bc i'm not like everyone else. I know my spiritual path as well as you know yours. I know ours may be different, but that might not be true... but, as far as you know we're different. Do i just give that difference up? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
If you are truly in a state of prelest, it is unlikely that you will respect my opinion on the matter anyway, even if I am telling you the truth. That being the case, would it really be beneficial for me to give an observation?

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
If you are truly in a state of prelest, it is unlikely that you will respect my opinion on the matter anyway, even if I am telling you the truth. That being the case, would it really be beneficial for me to give an observation?
Sure, go ahead. I really don't mind. I personally do not think i'm in prelest off the definition i agreed with you on. But that's about all i know of the word. I should read the rest of the wiki... but remember, i learn better through conversation. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
And what is the definition you agreed on with me? 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Yes

Let people believe what they want to believe
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
"the less delusional you are the more you are aware of your imperfections."
Mopac
Mopac
Prelest is spiritual delusion, deception, illusion, etc. That is what it means.

Here is a pretty good quote from that article...

St. Gregory of Sinai also writes that "around beginners and those who rely on their own counsel the demons spread the nets of destructive thoughts and images, and open pits into which such people fall; for their city is still in the hands of the workers of iniquity, and in their impetuosity they are easily slain by them. It is not surprising that they are deceived, or lose their wits, or have been and still are deluded, or heed what is contrary to truth, or from inexperience and ignorance say things that should not be said. Often some witless person will speak about truth and will hold forth at length without being aware of what he is saying or in a position to give a correct account of things. In this way he troubles many who hear him and by his inept behavior he brings abuse and ridicule on the heads of hesychasts. It is not in the least strange that beginners should be deceived even after making great efforts, for this has happened to many who have sought God, both now and in the past".

I think the important thing to note here is that it is really easy to fall into prelest when you rely on yourself and do not have guidance.

True view of oneself (of own spiritual condition, position relative to God, sinfulness etc.) is tightly connected with the passions of pride and vainglory and is distorted by these passions. The degree of prelest is the degree of such distortion, i.e. the amount of falsehood in the view of oneself and the degree of difficulty of change from the false view to the true one.

Pride and vainglory lead into all manner of prelest, and it is very easy to fall into.

Really, in the broadest sense, we all suffer from some sort of prelest. That being the case, to say that you are completely free of prelest is the surest indication that you are in fact in prelest!