Out of context

Author: Mopac

Total: 74
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Post some examples of the news media twisting words or removing context to paint a certain picture for political reasons.

Can be any side of the political spectrum

Please source with proofs.

This should be good.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Mopac
Pick a card. Any card.

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
Do vacuous Trump statements count?
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
it does if you consider Trump media, is he?  what channel is the Trump channel?  How much does the Trump news paper cost?  what a douche.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Lol..Dusty removed content and context from the OP.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
surprised?
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Not really. The context and content is still available in the opening post. And clearly I made no assertion to truth. 

You've distorted content and context from my post actually. How does it feel?

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
What do you mean? I feel like it's an apt point.

1. Trump is the president, with intelligence and experts behind him. Hence his words are taken seriously
2. Because they are taken seriously, they are invariably disseminated throughout the country as a source of information

Clearly, Trumps disseminated statements aren't all that different to the impact of mainstream media news stories

So the question remains, are media-like twistings of words and removals of context topical? Because I think it's a rather similar situation. The only difference is where the twistings and removals occur. ie primary vs secondary sources of information
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
That's really sad that the left expects the media to lie as much as a politician.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@dustryder
If you would provide examples, for example, a statement taken out of context and then the. statement in context.

Sources please. Like videos and stuff.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Mopac
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Mopac
Sure

vs

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
So Trump took what exactly out of context..the Mueller report?

You better go inform the Congress that Mueller actually found collusion and that Trump took his report out of context.

All joking aside, what I posted above is what the OP was looking for. Actual statements taken out of context.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
what I mean is the very question, very first that was asked, what don't you understand about it?  what part of it are you having difficulty understanding?  Is the word "media" throwing you off?  Is Trump media, a newspaper?

here's what was asked in case you missed it, please show how Trump is "news media" I always thought he was a person, and the president.

Post some examples of the news media twisting words or removing context to paint a certain picture for political reasons.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Even if you wanted to use an example..
THIS:

Is what the OP was looking for. 

Not some garbage link stating that Mueller found no collusion in the Mueller report, without Mueller coming out and saying that he did indeed find collusion instead of what is widely and factually known that Mueller agreed with Barr's summary that there was no collusion.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
So the question remains, are media-like twistings of words and removals of context topical? Because I think it's a rather similar situation. The only difference is where the twistings and removals occur. ie primary vs secondary sources of information
Here let me use an example. Perhaps the OP is looking for a heater to warm up his room and asks about what types of radiant heaters would be good for this purpose.

I might go "Well what about convection heaters or fan heaters. They also heat up the room". Because I assume the goal is to rapidly heat up the room and not any specific method of heating up the room.

The OP then might reply "Nice, I didn't think about those types of heaters, thank you". Or he might go "I've already considered those types of heaters but they don't suit my needs but thanks anyway". On the otherhand, I don't know until I make the suggestion and he replies but I feel that suggesting other types of heaters is relevant and topical.

Your reply to my comment would be something alone the lines of "Well convection heaters and fan heaters aren't radiant heaters". Which is absolutely true. On the otherhand such a comment is absolutely useless and makes me think that you are unable to grasp basic subtext. Especially when I've already explained it.

Mopac
Mopac
Ideally, what I would really like to see are examples of the media misrepresenting qhat someone says, and then showing what they are actually saying in context.

Greyparrot, your contributions are still pretty good though.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Still waiting on the link where Mueller said specifically Trump took Mueller's statements out of context.

During an appearance on "America's Newsroom" on Wednesday, Baier pointed out that although Mueller did get in contact with Barr about his letter, a Department of Justice spokesperson said that Mueller did not believe that Barr's conclusions were inaccurate. Barr himself testified that Mueller did not disagree with the ultimate findings. Mueller never disputed the ultimate findings.

What is funny is that Mueller was upset that THE MEDIA was taking his report out of context. Not AG Barr.

He wrote a nice letter to the WAPO complaining about it.

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Well that specific tweet is where Trump claims complete and total exoneration. He makes that claim based on the Barr summary which in itself was based on the Mueller report. Since neither the Barr summary or the Mueller report make any such claims of complete exoneration I would argue that this is a twisting of words contained in the Barr summary and/or the Mueller report.

Since this confuses the actual narrative and pushes the political agenda that there was complete and total exoneration, I feel this example was apt. That said, it would've been more correct to use the Barr summary instead of the Mueller report.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Mopac
Did you like the one where Trump took a NYT editor out of context? I liked that one.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
He can say that he was exonerated without specifically stating it was AG Barr that exonerated him with the help of the Mueller report.

Where is the link stating Mueller's outrage with Trump? The only outrage Mueller has shown is toward the media so far. I provided a link for an actual person outraged at Trump. Where is your link?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@dustryder
An easy example would be something like... 

*clip of news station story*

*clip of source material that contradicts reporting*

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Where does it say in his Mueller's letter that he was upset that the media was taking his report out of context?

From what I read, he was upset that Barr's summary "did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance of this Office's work and conclusions" which lead to public confusion. 

dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
He can say that he was exonerated without specifically stating it was AG Barr that exonerated him with the help of the Mueller report.
But obviously characterising the situation as a "complete and total exoneration" is removal from the context of the summary or report

Where is the link stating Mueller's outrage with Trump? The only outrage Mueller has shown is toward the media so far. I provided a link for an actual person outraged at Trump. Where is your link?
Why would there be a link stating Mueller's outrage with Trump? Is this something I claimed?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Greyparrot
Same subject matter really, so I mean, its alright but I guess you can say I'm looking more so for primary source like footage of someone saying something and then an example of how it has been spun or taken out context.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@dustryder

The Mueller report is like the length of a novel. Maybe something a little easier to digest and clear cut would be nice.

Thank you 
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Mopac
Well just Barr's summary suffices as well, despite it having its own problems

Specifically 1st paragraph page 3,

"The special counsel states that "while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.""
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Now find where Trump misquoted Mueller. Trump implying Barr exonerated him does not count.
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
I can't hear you from where I'm standing at my goalpost
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
sure cnn, fox, msn, wall street journal and Trump yup all the exact same thing, spot on, when did Trump add journalist to his resume?