free will

Author: keithprosser

Total: 712
Fallaneze
Debates: 0
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
The conclusion follows from (1) and (2). Do you accept (1) and (2)?

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Your conclusion does not follow.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
How doesn't it?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Because rational thought and choice are not synonymous. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
Ok then.
Not because it is not possible. More so the change will not occur given the way things are. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Given the way things are. That is rather the whole point of this thread I believe.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
 I am telling the truth. It is fallacy to point out nonfallacies as fallacies. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
Pleas I'm begging you look up formal logical fallacies and familiarize yourself with the more common ones.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@secularmerlin
Given the way things are. That is rather the whole point of this thread I believe.
Well there are d*mb people around the world. It just matters when they are d*mb. If they are d*mb when it comes to voting or making decisions on the detriment of others which are wrong then being d*mb matters. Being d*mb in a video game I am sure matters to the person not knowing what to do but as an impact it would be very low compared to lets say banning abortion. 

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Your objection to the argument is not clear to me. Beliefs, like determinism, could not be rationally accepted because the forces that would determine which beliefs are accepted are not rational. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
The issue is not with accepting things rationally it is with choosing to accept them rationally. 
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
I think you are getting confused between feeling compelled to accept the position that's most rational and the force that controls which beliefs you accept. If the force that controls which beliefs you accept is not rational then your beliefs cannot be rationally accepted.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
It is a fallacy to misidentify fallacies.

What I am saying is the truth, and your inability to discern creation from the uncreated does not invalidate the necessity of the uncreated existing.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
A position being the most rational can be the force which compels you to accept it. You DO NOT choose what is rational you come to realize what is most rational. 

I understand what you are saying. Your contention here is that if your conclusions are determined by mindless forces your conclusions must be determined mindlessly. This does not logically follow however since you have a mind and your mind determines your conclusions (which is not to say that it in any way chooses your conclusions) and without that mind there would be no conclusions in the first place.

Unless of course you are arguing that nothing is rational. Is that the case?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
You have never tried to understand my actual objections as far as I know. 

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Conclusions occur in the mind. We both agree on that.

Are beliefs (which occur in the mind) accepted as a result of mindless chemical reactions or are beliefs accepted as a result of some independent agency? 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
What do you mean by independent agency? I think you are implying that deterministic chemical reactions and rational thought are mutually exclusive but you have not demonstrated that they are.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
Well, help me to understand.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
You have given me no reason to think that you care about my actual objection. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
If asking you to help me understand is no reason to you, I can't help but think that maybe your delusion stems from you being unreasonable.

But here I am asking again, hoping that maybe you are more reasonable than it would appear.

Help me to understand.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
By independent agency I mean a faculty of consciousness that has room to rationally accept beliefs. 

When I claimed that determinism could not be rationally accepted if it was indeed true, you said you disagreed with that claim. Please explain how determinstic chemical reactions are a force that can rationally accept beliefs.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
That you think asking for evidence of your claims is "unreasonable" is a big part of the problem. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
By independent agency I mean a faculty of consciousness that has room to rationally accept beliefs. 

Why would an organic brain which runs on chemical reactions be unable to have this capacity?

Please explain how determinstic chemical reactions are a force that can rationally accept beliefs.
Isn't the fact that this appears to be the case enough? Honestly I don't know how human brains work any more than you do but they appear to be deterministic chemical engines which are able to rationally accept beliefs.
Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Because chemical reactions are deterministic.

The fact that we appear to rationally accept beliefs is enough evidence to justify the belief that we rationally accept beliefs. The problem is not our seeming ability to rationally accept beliefs though. The problem for determinists is the incompatibility between determinism and rationally accepting beliefs. Under determinism, all beliefs that people accept would be the result of mindless forces and since mindless forces cannot rationally accept beliefs, our beliefs could not be rationally accepted. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Why is it incompatible? Just because we cannot decide what is rational? I have news for you. You do not decide what is rational either way. Conclusions are either rational or not. Your acceptance of them does not change this.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
You can't say the Ultimate Reality exists, which is very unreasonable. You asking for evidence concerning this is also unreasonable.

There is nothing reasonable about nihilism. Even entertaining it is irrational. 

Still waiting for you to help me understand.

Fallaneze
Fallaneze
-->
@secularmerlin
Because under determinism, all beliefs that people accept would be the result of mindless forces and since mindless forces cannot rationally accept beliefs, our beliefs could not be rationally accepted.

Here is my claim: if determinism is indeed true, nobody could rationally accept it.

I don't see how pointing out that conclusions are either rational or not rational solves the problem.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
Im not talking about reality existing. That is not the claim I am talking about.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Fallaneze
Can brains rationally accept beliefs, yes or no?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
I keep asking you to help me understand.