Can your god affect reality?

Author: vagabond

Total: 39
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Not to barge in on your discussion but you have two distinct "realities" at play here, yes everything within the created universe/s has a beginning and has an ending (which is an eternal cycle in theistic terms BTW) and I would imagine there's not much to argue about there. But try and remember theists (although outplays does not label himself a theist) believe that the nature of conscious awareness was never produced by the universe and that this is a superior view, that it was intelligence that produced the living, designed universe where it is today through a process. So while the universe had a beginning.... the conscious, intelligent awareness has always been, it came before the universe.
Why do we believe conscious awareness/soul is infinite? that's a great question even though you never asked it lol, the answer lies in the fact we believe nothing creates awareness by understanding the nature of it and experiencing it, away from the physical body alone. There is also ample evidence which suggests consciousness survives death, brain death and the death of the physical body. There's also the technique of learning to leave the body or switching your attention to your subtle bodies or spirit body and having experiences from that reality (which is why people have so many spiritual experiences unintentionally). Even though its not a mainstream teaching, astral/soul travel is one of the most compelling forces in understanding the nature of the soul and its capabilities. Basically, examining creation from a natural, materialistic approach will lead you to false conclusions, on the other hand, experiencing the realms of consciousness through the medium of consciousness the rules and facts change dramatically.

vagabond
vagabond
-->
@Mopac
That is merely an unsubstantiated claim and can be dismissed as such.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Castin
I agree that it's amazing human intelligence came to exist in this universe. But why do you think reality is infinite? Our study of the universe seems to suggest that it had a beginning and it will have an end. 

I may have more questions later.
What we know scientifically is that "our" space-time had a beginning and i don't refute that. It seems to be the best model but it says nothing about before. Before we could have been in another universe and a star died "big bang" created a black hole sucking everything in "inflation" "expansion" etc... that could very well be the case... or dozens of other hypothesis like string theory. 

I believe it bc i prefer the paradox of it never ending is much more logical than an end. It's either limited or unlimited. If it is unlimited it is space that goes on forever. Within this space you may have different laws here and there, different forms of energy, time etc... it just goes on forever. The biggest problem i can see with infinite is infinite regress which i'll get back to. Then, we have limited. If it is limited there is a boundary. What does this boundary look like? How long does the boundary go on for? What is beyond the Boundary? It makes less sense that space goes on and hits a wall and then that wall goes on forever?... do you see what i mean? Imho, it's much less logical. 

Infinite regress problem is interesting. Saying if we have infinite series we will never get to today. However, intelligence is real. An intelligent agent that can manifest as a finite agent is one of the only things i can think of that beats the infinite regress problem. Bc we can choose where to manifest and where we do we have a finite life and move on. Basically, we pick the points on this never ending train making it that we can reach any point even if they go on forever, for we will experience the infinite set by being finite. So intelligence beats infinite regress if it is a source as i suspect. 

In conclusion, i have answers for the infinite universe theory... i wouldn't have any answers but more questions if it is limited. So i suspect more than not we live in an infinite platform and not finite.  
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@EtrnlVw
There is only one reality except the the mentally unstable.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@vagabond
No, it really isn't. This is the argument I posted in my last debate that utterly refutes the idea that I am making this up...

Oxford defines God as...

(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

Merriam Webster defines God as...

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality

To quote a father of the catholic/orthodox tradition and canonized saint... Augustine of Hippo...

"Where I found truth, there found I my God, who is the truth itself"

Augustine repeats in no uncertain terms throughout his vast corpus of works that The Truth is God.

Also in the Christian protestant tradition Herman Bavinck wrote
God is the truth in its absolute fullness. He, therefore, is the primary, the original truth, the source of all truth, the truth in all truth. He is the ground of the truth – of the true being "

And though these are examples from western academia and Christian traditions, you will find this understanding of God is fairly universal in the various religious traditions of the world. The Abrahamic faiths all recognize The Truth as being God. Even in vedic monotheism, God is understood as ultimate reality. 

So to make what I am saying very clear, The Truth is God.

So to say "There is no God" is to say, "It is the truth that there is no such thing as truth!". Clearly self defeating. 

To say, "I do not believe in God" or "I don't know if God exists" is to admit that you have doubts. If you have doubts, you know at least one thing is true.. that is, you have doubt. If anything is true at all, it is because The Truth is in it. 

Atheism towards God is a self defeating and foolish position to hold on to, as it is fundamentally a denial of truth and reality. I personally don't believe that this is what atheists actually believe. I think most atheists likely do not believe that God exists because they have a superstitious conception of God. They have a conception of God that is not real. However, being real is literally the defining characteristic of God, as God is literally, not metaphorically, The Truth.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@vagabond
Don't beat yourself up, you'll get through it.
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@EtrnlVw
Stop beating your meat, you'll go blind don't you know?
read4419
read4419
Gods watching 
vagabond
vagabond
-->
@read4419
The Rottweiler's name was jesus, LOL