-->
@disgusted
Nice post man.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
The Ultimate Reality existing is not a theory. It is a 100% certain thing. Maybe not to you, but that is because you are wrong.

Not up for debate. Also not what this topic is about.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Thing is:

Your last statement was a dead give away.

I know that you know that I am right.

Your obstinance cannot hide the fact. 

Simply face the truth.

You were conditioned to accept something that just cannot be proven to be true.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
You are simply beimg haughty.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
"Haughty"

Now that's a good word that doesn't get used very often.

Though I don't think it fair to describe sensible, rational argument as being haughty.

And I genuinely believe that you realise that no matter how hard you might postulate, your unerring faith is actually unsustainable.

At some point you will have to admit that you cannot unequivocally prove the existence of God.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
I am quite confident that denying ultimate reality is a foolish and self defeating position.

WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@Mopac
JESUS ?  the white JEW BOY WONDER...who popped out of some illiterate Jewish tribe girl....why all the fuss ?   and who is JESUS DADDY ?

ZEUS who else !  ....ZEUS was well known for late night sojourns from Mt. Olympus to romp around  with the female humans !   WHY NOT ! 

What better excuse to HYPNOTIZE and BRAINWASH humans into slavery and servitude of a few CLEVER PSYCHOPATHS seeking POWER
than to INVENT a GOD !   

...........oh LOOK...it's baby Jesus... (GOD !)    the imbeciles of a long gone age declared.....does he fly ?  can he glide on water ?   does he talk ? 

+++ al manner of idiocy.....hey YOU ...one of the ZOMBIE slaves shouted to a lowly tribe girl....GO now and help those who are changing the
diaper of GOD !   

BABY GOD !   Jesus ?   he shows up 1500 years after Moses spoke with his DADDY ?    why did it take so long ?   

Where was BABY JESUS during the Sumerian Assyrian Egyptian AGE ?   where was the BABY GOD in ASIAN Cultures ..i.e INDIA ...CHINA +++

why after billions of years and trillions of world does GOD arrive in some SLUM through an illiterate JEW GIRL ?   and his own PEOPLE ? 
ultimately CONDEMN HIM and collude with ROME to have him EXTERMINATED...but BUT JESUS is GOD !   

.....TRUTH =  YOU IMBECILES that fall for this insanity are the true TERRORISTS of this planet....only the Middle East JEW - JESUS - ALLAH
GOD garbage is used for MURDER and DESTRUCTION....it's TIME NOW to RID EARTH of these 3 GOD diseases...

Until any one of these GOD RETARDS actually shows up and faces his so called CREATON....it's time NOW to TRASH this garbage....and the 
HYPNOTIZED and BRAINWASHED humans that are ENSLAVED BY IT.....get off this planet....or better yet go exterminate each other in the 
name of your GOD hoax BS....disgusting

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@WisdomofAges
You have a wild imagination.

I believe it would be better for you if you discarded your hatred and replaced it with charity.

Jesus loves you, WOA.

WisdomofAges
Debates: 5
WisdomofAges
-->
@Mopac
JESUS and ALLAH the greatest THREATS to HUMANITY and EARTH....what an amazing world this WOULD BE..not COULD BE

when JESUS and ALLAH are flushed down the Comic Book Mythology TOILET....and forgotten...just as the Parasite VAMPIRE
CULTS of Jesus and Allah psychopaths have done to all the other GODS and CULTURES that existed long before these
2 GOD CLOWNS showed up.....

DISGUSTING....truly the greatest DISGRACE and HOAX on HUMANITY to incite FEAR - INTIMIDATION - VIOLENCE which
includes psychosexual Jesus and Allah God PREACHING pedophile molesters RAPING CHILDREN.....

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
I am quite confident that there is an ultimate reality.

I am also confident of the fact, that neither you nor I have a clue as to what the ultimate reality might actually be.

We can only speculate.

Your fervent and dogged belief in a supernatural deity is admirable, but extremely speculative.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
Then you are confident that God exists.

As I said....

"...our theology deals with HOW God is rather than WHAT God is..."

And our religion, our discipline is about purifying the heart. The nous. Abiding in Truth.

Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
The Ultimate Reality by definition cannot have a reality over it. If there is a reality over it, that reality would be The Ultimate Reality. 

Sorry you don't find that a satisfactory answer.
I don't, really. But it begs the question, if you define the Ultimate Reality to be that reality over which there is no other reality, then how do you know the reality we observe is not the Ultimate Reality? How do you know whether or not there is a reality over it?

Our discipline can be summed up as follows...

"Blessed are the pure in heart, they will see God."

And so that is our approach. The purifying of the heart, or to use a more technical term, the nous. Our discipline is about purifying the nous.
So to discover anything about the Ultimate Reality, one needs to purify their nous--nous being the part of the soul most connected to the Ultimate Reality. Is that about right? If so, you can anticipate my next question. How does one go about purifying their nous?

Mopac
Mopac
I don't, really. But it begs the question, if you define the Ultimate Reality to be that reality over which there is no other reality, then how do you know the reality we observe is not the Ultimate Reality?
It is relativistic reality, it is reality that is contingent. In the case of reality we observe, it is contingent on observation. 

How do you know whether or not there is a reality over it?

If it doesn't fulfill the definition, it cannot be what we are talking about.

So to discover anything about the Ultimate Reality, one needs to purify their nous
I wouldn't completely rule out other means of discovery, but if someone isn't doing the active work of purifying the nous, it is really easy to fall into prelest.

-nous being the part of the soul most connected to the Ultimate Reality. Is that about right?
The nous may even be the soul itself. The Holy Spirit fills all things, so really everything is connected to God.

How does one go about purifying their nous?

Theoria, ascetic practices and such. It is good to have guidance, because pride is the easiest way to fall into prelest. Isolation is also pretty dangerous in that regard, except in the case of those who are particularly advanced. Even monastics usually need a special blessing.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
The term ultimate reality can be applied to any speculative creation scenario.

Ultimate reality is not exclusively deistic.

As I previously stated there are potentially 7.7 billion other versions available.

The only thing that I am confident about here, is that actual knowledge of the ultimate reality is not currently available.

Ultimate reality is an event that predates human theistic and scientific constructs by billions of years.

Another thought that often occurs to me is:

Have you ever stopped to consider whether an omni-sensible God would be the slightest bit impressed with ritualistic theism.

All that chanting and singing and mumbling and nodding and incense burning and water splashing and scriptural gobbledygook and verbose hypocrites in gaudy oversized frocks.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4

The term ultimate reality can be applied to any speculative creation scenario
False. It only applies to what fulfills that defining. THE ULTIMATE REALITY ITSELF.

You don't really understand what we do. If you are not trying to learn, you'd be better off wasting your time talking to someone else.

Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
It is relativistic reality, it is reality that is contingent. In the case of reality we observe, it is contingent on observation. 
Are you saying that reality would not exist without observation? How could this possibly be determined?

If it doesn't fulfill the definition, it cannot be what we are talking about.
But how do you know whether or not it fulfills the definition? Given a reality, how do you know whether there is another reality over it? How do you determine whether it is contingent on anything?

Theoria, ascetic practices and such. It is good to have guidance, because pride is the easiest way to fall into prelest. Isolation is also pretty dangerous in that regard, except in the case of those who are particularly advanced. Even monastics usually need a special blessing.
So one can discover things about an unobservable Ultimate Reality through contemplation, prayer, fasting and the like, preferably at the direction of a church leader? 
Mopac
Mopac
Are you saying that reality would not exist without observation? How could this possibly be determined?
Obviously, The Ultimate Reality exists independent of observation. An observation is in itself a reality. 

But how do you know whether or not it fulfills the definition?
I suppose that comes from contemplation. Is the reality i'l n your mind the ultimate reality? Of course it isn't. The Ultimate Reality is not a conceptionnof The Ultimate Reality.

Given a reality, how do you know whether there is another reality over it? How do you determine whether it is contingent on anything?
Contemplation.

So one can discover things about an unobservable Ultimate Reality through contemplation, prayer, fasting and the like, preferably at the direction of a church leader? 

It stands to reason that a nous clouded by idolatry is worse off when it comes to seeing things clearly or acting with pure intentions than one that has been cleansed. Idolatry perverts all reasoning.

Remember that the point of these practices is heart purification. 

Theoria

Theophany

Theosis

Prepare the ground through purifying the heart, or nous. Theoria.

By the grace of God, realization of God will come. This is to know The One True God and the One sent, Jesus Christ. Theophany.

To be made divine through union with God through his energies. Theosis.

The goal of Orthodoxy is theosis. The religion is intended to prepare the ground for this. Theosis is not achieved through self will, but through Christ.

94 days later

Our_Boat_is_Right
Debates: 16
Our_Boat_is_Right
-->
@Mopac
I am a Christian.  How do you know God exists?  Besides the Bible, what experience or other thing have you had that made you believe God is the ultimate reality? (when did it "click")
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Our_Boat_is_Right
It's simply how we are conditioned. 

We are all subject to conditioning, especially formatively.

If God was an inherent reality, then we would all be aware of it.

But we are not, so God was obviously put there at a later date.

How fervently or apathetically we react to God data, will be relevant to when, where and how we were conditioned.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Our_Boat_is_Right
It is simply a matter of accepting what the concept refers to. The people who are most confused instead have a conception of God that they compare to their conception of Ultimate reality. They are confused because The Ultimate Reality is God, not this conception of God is The Ultimate Reality. God is not a conception. God is exactly what God is.

I know God exists because I know The  Ultimate Reality exists. How do I know that exists? Because there is no other possible alternstive. It is a necessary existence.

By God's grace this mystery has been revealed  to me. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
God does not forcibly reveal Himself to people. They have to want it.

God certainly exists, and really, to some extent everyone is aware. God is not simply an inherent reality, but The Inherent Reality. No reality can exist apart from God. You yourself, though rejecting the God you do not know believe that there is Ultimate Reality, yes? Though you do not acknowledge this as God, I challenge you to find anything greater. The writings of the church fathers, saints, and monastics confirm thst we understand God to be The Ultimate  Reality, and if you take God to mean anything else, you can only have an idolatrous  understanding of God that we certainly would not accept either.

Our_Boat_is_Right
Debates: 16
Our_Boat_is_Right
fair enough