Those Battling 45,000 Denominations

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 308
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
You are ignorant and in need of an education. 

And it is certainly worth saying since you are awfully opinionated about these matters.

Now you can be offended at this and get prideful about it, or you can stop pretending to have knowledge and receive correction. I know what I believe. I know what the church teaches. You don't. Yiu are out of the loop. There is only shame in this if you insist that you know when you really don't.

Now believe me when I say that I want you to have a proper understanding, and don't fight me about it. You could, but it wouldn't be beneficial.

Pelagianism is heresy. What does that mean? It means that our works do not save us. James was not saying this at all. Paul is very right when he says we are not justified through works of the law.

If we have faith, the works will follow. They are intertwined. Did not Jesus Christ say himself that we will be judged by our works? Whether we fed the hungry, visited those in prison, clothed the naked, etc? How can you detach faith in Jesus from this?

Let it be known, Martin Luther was a heretic, and he not only altered scriptures to align with his perverse theology, but he is the reason that protestants to this day abandoned the septuigant and use the masoretic canon of scripture rather than what the church used for 1500 years prior.

To you it might be the same whether someone does good deeds to get the praise of men or whether they do it out of their love for Christ. However, to God the heart does matter. 

keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Now you can be offended at this and get prideful about it, or you can stop pretending to have knowledge and receive correction. I know what I believe. I know what the church teaches. You don't. Yiu are out of the loop. There is only shame in this if you insist that you know when you really don't.
I do not claim to know anything about what your church teaches.  Writing about that is your job!

I posted about James and Paul @Castin, not @you.  I gather what I wrote is not in keeping what your church teaches - I never said it was or even implied it was.  You are being a little arrogant to think had you in mind at all at the time.  

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
And it is certainly worth saying since you are awfully opinionated about these matters.
Pot meet kettle, your arrogance is pathetic.

Now you can be offended at this and get prideful about it,

Pot meet kettle, your arrogance is pathetic.

or you can stop pretending to have knowledge and receive correction. I know what I believe. I know what the church teaches.
None of which relates to knowledge, it's all belief in the words of ignorant, primitive, superstitious savages. Belief is not knowledge.

There is only shame in this if you insist that you know when you really don't.
But your arrogance is incapable of the shame you should accept.

Now believe me when I say that I want you to have a proper understanding, and don't fight me about it. You could, but it wouldn't be beneficial.
You display the haughtiness that you decry in others who show much less of it than you.

You are a hypocrite.

croweupc
croweupc
-->
@disgusted
You hit the nail on the head. There is a distinction between knowledge and belief. Belief is acceptance of a proposition you cannot possibly know is true. This is not to say that beliefs are always wrong. It is possible to have faith in something and true at the same time, I just find such methodology to be unreliable. Chances are I would be wrong because of the number of options I have to choose from. Knowledge would be things like the Earth is round. Belief is like the resurrection of Jesus of which no one can verify. Not saying it isn’t true, only that we cannot possibly know for sure. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
Maybe you should rest the rest of the post.

I know who you were posting at, and I'm rebuking you for spreading lies about my faith.

Here...

Pelagianism is heresy. What does that mean? It means that our works do not save us. James was not saying this at all. Paul is very right when he says we are not justified through works of the law.

If we have faith, the works will follow. They are intertwined. Did not Jesus Christ say himself that we will be judged by our works? Whether we fed the hungry, visited those in prison, clothed the naked, etc? How can you detach faith in Jesus from this?

Let it be known, Martin Luther was a heretic, and he not only altered scriptures to align with his perverse theology, but he is the reason that protestants to this day abandoned the septuigant and use the masoretic canon of scripture rather than what the church used for 1500 years prior.

To you it might be the same whether someone does good deeds to get the praise of men or whether they do it out of their love for Christ. However, to God the heart does matter.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser
I don't think you are right about 'the interpretive individualism of Protestant thought'.  Catholicism recognises two sources of religious authority - the Bible and the Church .  Protestantism tends to 'scriptura sola' so the protestant church has no power to add or take away from what is in the text.

What protestantism does not do is give individuals the right or power to interpret scripture as they see fit.  Under protestantism there is a correct interpretation and  determining the correct interpetation remains firmly in the hands of the Church, not the individual believer.   The only difference is that the Cathlolic church does not have justify everthing with chapter and verse as it claims to have independent authority.
This might be true with some protestant churches, but is by no means the rule.

What we are encouraged to do is study, and seek guidance directly from God, and use what God gives us individually to help others inside and outside the church. Tending to scriptura sola doesn't mean there won't be disagreement. There are disagreements, and this is for the most part understood, and even encouraged in the sense that each believer is encouraged to study on their own as well as collectively, and seek God on their own as well as collectively. Disagreement is far better than robotic agreement.

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I like the interpretive individualism of Protestant thought, with the emphasis on anti-authoritarianism and believing what feels right to you rather than what a mega-church says is right. And I like the practice of baptizing when you choose to be saved rather than at birth, before you can make choices.
I don't think you are right about 'the interpretive individualism of Protestant thought'.  Catholicism recognises two sources of religious authority - the Bible and the Church .  Protestantism tends to 'scriptura sola' so the protestant church has no power to add or take away from what is in the text.

What protestantism does not do is give individuals the right or power to interpret scripture as they see fit.  Under protestantism there is a correct interpretation and  determining the correct interpetation remains firmly in the hands of the Church, not the individual believer.   The only difference is that the Cathlolic church does not have justify everthing with chapter and verse as it claims to have independent authority.
Sorry, but what Roderick said pretty much agrees with all my experience with Protestants. If sola scriptura meant that Protestants could not have interpretive differences about scripture, there would be no denominations at all.

In attitude I have found that Protestantism overwhelmingly exalts the personal relationship with Jesus, and in that way I think it does tend to dignify the individual's experience of faith. They're still going to disagree with each other, and they're still going to think they're right and others are wrong, but my experience just does not support the statement that Protestantism gives no right or power to the individual.

Castin
Castin
The authors of the Bible are not still around to tell us, and simply reading their words is not enough to eliminate all gray areas and wiggle room.
I doubt they'd all agree if they were around.   I think the nt would be even less consistent if deciding what was canon was not in the hands of Paulines.   i think only James represents a non-Pauline perspective.

Ja 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

I think that is shows a very practical, this-worldly attitude that is more Judaic than the more abstract and next-world orienation of the Hellenised Paul.  James emphasises works for their on sake - Paul emphasises faith as the key to personal salvalation.

The rabid anti-semite Martin Luther hated the book of James and called it an epistle of straw,   but (as is plausible) james was the brother of jesus it might be closer to what Jesus actually taught.

btw ML was not a nice person.  He wrote of the Jews

"Jews are a base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth. They are full of the devil's feces ... which they wallow in like swine."

That was 400 years before Hitler!
Par for the course when you've got a text composed of a bunch of different books cobbled together from a bunch of different authors over a period of thousands of years.

Martin Luther seems to be a celebrated figure in America. I think his fans like to remember his stance against indulgences more than his stance against Jews.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
We Orthodox also very much understand that personal relationship with Jesus is of the utmost importance.

The main difference is that we believe in The One church as it was understood historically, that is, not many different churches that disagree on the most fundamental aspects of the faith.

We have Holy Orders. We believe in Apostolic succession.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
Par for the course when you've got a text composed of a bunch of different books cobbled together from a bunch of different authors over a period of thousands of years.
I was thinking of the nt.

The books of the NT were written over a relatively short period of time and half of them were written by Paul himself.  An inconsequential lettter by Paul such 2 John as was in but anything eviating from Paul's theological position - such as several 'lost' gospels - were left out of the canon.  

The nt was not "cobbled together from a bunch of different authors over a period of thousands of years" - it was the product of conscious selection to present a particular viewpoint.

As usual, things are never that simple...!

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
I was thinking of the nt.
Yeah that's my bad. I was going off this:

The authors of the Bible are not still around to tell us
I doubt they'd all agree if they were around.

I need a bit of an assist with this:

An inconsequential lettter by Paul such 2 John as was in but anything eviating from Paul's theological position

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Castin
An inconsequential lettter by Paul such 2 John as was in but anything eviating from Paul's theological position
An inconsequential letter by Paul such 2 John as was in but anything deviating from Paul's theological position
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
So basically "My religion is the one true religion and all the others are wrong." What I like about that is how I've never heard it before.

I can certainly see the appeal of a single, central church -- one God, one way, one church -- and the appeal of believing in an uninterrupted succession. But are you really surprised that Protestants are reluctant to follow the authority of mere men? That's all an orthodox church is. Protestants believe only the Bible is God's word, and mere men do not have the divine authority to tell them how to believe.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
( Getting a group up and running ) , is a " family " business.  Painstakingly long . 
This is step one.  This is what they set out to do ,
getting a group up and running and having you and a few strategically selected others  the only few that have truly meet this real God , life gets easy . 

Hundreds of years later later (A Bible writing crew) they would of wrote the OT in a year.. 
Bible writing crew gets monetary gains andddddd idiealogy  

Hundreds of years later (The church making dudes) .  they start utilizing and making bulk churches. 

And from then on iit just a splinter bloke here and a splinter bloke there. 

These days you just disagree with a few things here and there and the next thing you know half the church you you are in is coming with you to the new proper truly true church  ortho and  catho

Or if its legit 

A Bloke one day meets a god. That bloke or someone in the Family gets a dozen or so funny , weird , and wacky writings from said God, well if this is believed you are practically a human god right then and there. 

The fact that the bible comes way later works in the godists favor i believe.  ( i wont tell em ) 

And the whole " acknowledgement of sorts . To get a group up and running  Christians , acknowledge jews , Muslims both. 
Muslims acknowledging Jesus and in the same sentence saying he was a prof and the other guys say his the son. This little acknowledgment here makes Muslim  more ummmmmmmmmm believable i dare say. 
Christias taking the firs bit of the OT , exactly the same. 

I don't know.  What I'm trying to say is . 
THE MILK IS SOUR .  AND IF THE MILK IS SOUR.  I AIN'T THE KINDA PUSSY TO DRINK IT. 

A religious group is started with the same thoughts as a ponzi scheme 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Well, it isn't the authority of men to begin with. The Holy Spirit is with the church. The faith isn't really in men.

But if the protestant says they have no faith in men, what they are really saying is they have faith in man. Themselves!

Just them, the bible, and their interpretation.

The Orthodox Catholic Church wrote The New Testament and determined its canon. We are the church. The bible is a part of our Holy Tradition, it isn't the source. 

The church didn't wait around for 300 something years wondering what to do before The New Testament was compiled. No, we knew what we believed before.

And if you were to go back and pluck a Christian out from those ancient times and plop them in an Orthodox Church today, they would know exactly what was going on, even if they didn't speak the language.

You can't say that about any protestant church, and you can't even say that about The Roman Catholic Church.

Castin
Castin
-->
@keithprosser
An inconsequential letter by Paul such 2 John as was in but anything deviating from Paul's theological position
No, I got the deviating. It was more the wording. But I have nothing really to add to your point about the New Testament. It agrees with my preexisting knowledge on the subject, though I have not done near as much research on it as you seem to have done.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Keith doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't really understand our faith, so him claiming that Paul and John differed is a matter of his faulty interpretation not reality.

They were both Orthodox Christians with common faith.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
Protestants would love to believe that the apostles were as divided as they are!

Nonbelievers as well would love to believe the apostles were divided, but so they can throw their arms up in the air and use it as an excuse not to figure out what is true.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Mopac
Well, it isn't the authority of men to begin with. The Holy Spirit is with the church. The faith isn't really in men.

But if the protestant says they have no faith in men, what they are really saying is they have faith in man. Themselves!

Just them, the bible, and their interpretation.

The Orthodox Catholic Church wrote The New Testament and determined its canon. We are the church. The bible is a part of our Holy Tradition, it isn't the source. 

The church didn't wait around for 300 something years wondering what to do before The New Testament was compiled. No, we knew what we believed before.

And if you were to go back and pluck a Christian out from those ancient times and plop them in an Orthodox Church today, they would know exactly what was going on, even if they didn't speak the language.

You can't say that about any protestant church, and you can't even say that about The Roman Catholic Church.
Girls, girls, you're all pretty.

No, that's actually a nice one with the "they do have faith in man, themselves" thing. Don't know how they'd respond to that. Probably deny that their faith is just in themselves and insist their faith is in God. That's what all Christians always insist.

This doctrinal de-emphasis on the Bible is so weird to me. In America it's just the Bible, the Bible, the Bible. Only the Bible. There's just no getting away from it.

But information has to come from somewhere, some source, so there's always going to be a question of which sources have authority.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Mopac
Keith doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't really understand our faith, so him claiming that Paul and John differed is a matter of his faulty interpretation not reality.

They were both Orthodox Christians with common faith.

James, not John.   Of course they had many shared beliefs, but they clearly differed on the matter of works v. faith.   We read in the bible there were other disutes between Paul and others over dietary laws and circumscision.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
As I explained to you, the works/faith dichotomy you present is a false dichotomy. This was only an issue in protest land post Luther because of his own theological idea. Theological ideas that he felt strongly enough to add and subtract words from scripture. Something he felt so strongly about that he even at one time called James the epistle of straw.

The Orthodox Church never had controversy about this, because we know that faith and works are inseparable from eachother.

The dispute about circumcision and dietary laws is what lead to the first proto-ecumenical council as we call it. The one who presided over it was James, who was the bishop of Jerusalem at the time. James, being a very devout Jew even, agreed that it was not necessary for Gentilles to become Jews to follow Christ.

So that other controversy you are speaking of was resolved and written of in The New Testament itself.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Castin
They would say the bible says it, I believe it, and thats that!
Or
I believe in Jesus Christ and that's that!

Maybe ignoring their own interpretation of these things!

Well, Jesus Christ left a church. The beginnings of which are accounted in The New Testament. The Church is still around today in The Orthodox Catholic Church. 

It isn't that we de-emphasize the Bible. Quite the contrary, we revere it as a holy icon. We love the bible. We kiss the bible even. We do everything in a very biblical way. Protestants tend to(I have to say tend to, because there is no unified protestantism) overemphasize the bible. They do this because they reject The Church!

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser

James, not John.   Of course they had many shared beliefs, but they clearly differed on the matter of works v. faith.   We read in the bible there were other disutes between Paul and others over dietary laws and circumscision.
Do you see this contrast as meaning works are needed for salvation?

Jesus at times rebuked groups and individuals, including believers (like the disciples) for lacking faith. Faith doesn't end at salvation. It took faith for instance for Paul to accomplish his works. It's one thing to have faith, but to not carry out the necessary works needed to carry out Christ's mandates renders faith void. Not for salvation, but in terms of the high calling.

There were other challenges to faith amongst those that were already believers. John the Baptist had his moment of doubt as to whether or not Jesus was actually the messiah. Thomas needed to see the physical effects of the crucifixion. Mary and Martha had their doubts concerning the resurrection of their brother in this life. The latter example shows that lack of faith sometimes entails partial or compromised faith. While these aren't examples of a works issue, there was still relatively mild rebuke. But a believer who lacked faith to move out in their calling would be pretty serious, and prompt the type of rebuke James was promoting.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
deb is mad AA kicked him out, that is why he hates groups. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@RoderickSpode
Do you see this contrast as meaning works are needed for salvation?
No.  I hope one of our Jewish members will back me up when I say that salvation in the Christian sense is a minor matter within Judaism.  Judaism is far more concerned with 'this life' than the 'next life'.  James is not saying we should be kind to widows and orphans so we go to heaven -  he is saying we should be kind because that what god wants.   Unlike Christianity doing good is an end-in-itself, not a means to personal salvation.

The book of James explicit contradicts Paul's 'justification by faith' on other occasions,such as
2:24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
and
2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

My contention is that the book of James suggests that there was a 'strain' of early Christianity that was much closer to traditional Judaism than 'Paulism'.  (Certain passages in acts also sugest the same thing).   And if James was the brother of Jesus, was that version closer to what Jesus taught than Paul's version?

I don't think we can know.   Certainly I don't know anything that settles it - if any body else does have anything (other than quotes from the bible!) I'dcertinly be very interested in it.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser
No.  I hope one of our Jewish members will back me up when I say that salvation in the Christian sense is a minor matter within Judaism.  Judaism is far more concerned with 'this life' than the 'next life'.  James is not saying we should be kind to widows and orphans so we go to heaven -  he is saying we should be kind because that what god wants.   Unlike Christianity doing good is an end-in-itself, not a means to personal salvation.

The book of James explicit contradicts Paul's 'justification by faith' on other occasions,such as
2:24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.
and
2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

My contention is that the book of James suggests that there was a 'strain' of early Christianity that was much closer to traditional Judaism than 'Paulism'.  (Certain passages in acts also sugest the same thing).   And if James was the brother of Jesus, was that version closer to what Jesus taught than Paul's version?

I don't think we can know.   Certainly I don't know anything that settles it - if any body else does have anything (other than quotes from the bible!) I'dcertinly be very interested in it.

It is true that there was a certain amount of contention as I think you noted there being a conflict between Peter and Paul. While already being a believer, Peter was for a period of time stuck on the idea that salvation was not for gentiles. His learning process (or de-learning) was probably a bit more progressive than Paul's. So much so that he even indicated to God (while having the vision) that God was wrong, or needed correction. So it was a strong traditional issue. James may have very well have been in a similar position as Peter. So the Bible indicates there were issues of tradition versus the Holy Spirit's guidance.

There's also a passage where Paul explains that there were some that were never actually a part of them (and probably not even saved) who lacked
works, or discontinued works by leaving Paul's ministry. So James' warning was fairly serious, but I don't think it indicates contradiction between his and Paul's teaching.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode

I don't think we can know. 
We do have to put a certain amount of trust in the choosing of the canons being spirit-lead. To prove it by documentation alone, I would agree would be very difficult.

For instance, some might contend that because there was hesitancy in choosing the Book of Revelation, that the book shouldn't have been included, or placed in error. However, as one teacher i heard put it, they certainly didn't choose the book because they were fascinated by images of beasts coming out of the sea, etc. In other words, the choosing would be more likely spirit-lead since they were apparently collectively hesitant, but like Peter and his vision of the unclean animals, accepted it on faith because it was a leading of the Holy Spirit.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@keithprosser
If you want something other than the bible, you should hear what the church says.

Fyi, James was the one who made the ruling thst gentile converts didn't have to be Jews.

There was an early community of Jewish Christians who did not marry gentiles. They died out, because there was no good reason for this to be a practice given that Jews and Gentiles were made one in Christ. 

The church still has their writings.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@RoderickSpode
We do have to put a certain amount of trust in the choosing of the canons being spirit-lead. To prove it by documentation alone, I would agree would be very difficult.
It's not easy for a secularist like me to put much trust in spirits!   But if you can believe the writing of the books was inspired then of course the editing andselection can be inspired. 

But cynical secularists would tend to look for, say, political motivation.  Biut it's suprising how little material exists about the early decades of Christianity.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser
It's not easy for a secularist like me to put much trust in spirits!   But if you can believe the writing of the books was inspired then of course the editing andselection can be inspired. 

But cynical secularists would tend to look for, say, political motivation.  Biut it's suprising how little material exists about the early decades of Christianity.
I probably should rephrase that. We Christians have to put a certain amount of trust in the choosing of the canons being spirit-lead.

A lot of things really do depend on whether or not God exists, whether or not their is a Holy Spirit, etc.

If a secularist is convinced there is no God, they could easily conclude that the God in the Bible is evil without looking deeper into the texts, because tyranny has been such a big part of human nature. So when an atheist secularist (I consider myself a Christian secularist) says God is evil, they're really saying the authors are evil. If a secularist ever comes to the conclusion that the God of the Bible exists, they have to readjust their logic and reasoning because it's no longer the authors, or at least not only them they have to consider. For instance, since most of us here have to admit to having very good experiences in our life, would an evil God allow for the good experiences we've had? And of course have we studied all aspects of the scriptures enough to make such a claim?