Those Battling 45,000 Denominations

Author: RoderickSpode

Total: 308
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@croweupc
I was raised by sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The fact that I am an Orthodox Christian of all things would not have seemed very likely given the environment I grew up in and lived in during my pre-Christian years.

Orthodox Christianity does not have a big presence in The United States.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@croweupc
If I was raised Orthodox, that would not make your argument any less a product of your dismissiveness.
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Mopac
The US is submerged in Christian culture, it doesn’t matter if you were raised in the church, you were exposed to the culture. Being raised in it is not necessary to the superstitious and gullible. 
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@triangle.128k
What would your opinion be on Pentecostal Catholics?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@croweupc
I don't get the impression that I live in a Christian culture. The culture of nominally Christian pagans is hardly what I would call Christian.

croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Mopac
Interesting reading:

You discount any person that doesn’t share your very specific beliefs.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@croweupc
I seems to me that you are too busy discounting me to really get who I am or my faith.

That is certainly your right. Just don't expect me to believe you have an informed outlook.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Your faith is irrelevant, evidence is relevant and you have none. Your faith is based entirely on the words of ignorant, primitive, superstitious savages.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@croweupc
So do atheists what is your point? 
disgusted
disgusted
witchypoo
bahahahahahahahaha
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Let’s say we were talking about Santa, would your reaction be the same? If you take the positive and I the negative, how would this same argument play out?

I could say Santa is silly to believe in because we have never seen flying rain deer, or a flying sled, or a sack filled with millions of toys, or a rather large man fitting in a small chimney who likes to have milk and cookies. You could point out how I didn’t follow the orthodox teachings by the right set of books, so that is why I don’t believe in Santa. If only I had been orthodox instead of the heretical version I understood, I would believe. But I could point out that your beliefs come from a very old set of books. Your version is just as unbelievable as the one I have. This would essentially be the exact same argument I am making about Christianity.

We have never seen a person born of a virgin, turn water into wine, stop a storm with just words, multiply bread and fish to feed thousands, heal the blind by spitting on clay, or being resurrected three days after a brutal Roman crucifixion. Yeah, but I didn’t believe in the orthodox version! No, because it is just as unbelievable. You just have an old set of books that tell you this happened without a single shred of evidence to support your claims. You could see this is the fact if you weren’t so convinced it is true. I am not the one making a claim, I am simply not accepting the claims Christianity makes without corroborating evidence to support it. If Jesus still walked the Earth I would believe. No, he simply leaves the Earth without a trace. How convenient.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@croweupc
We aren't talking about a character that parents intentionally lie to their kids about to make Christmas more fun for them. No one cares if you do Santa in your home so fuck off about my religion in mine. If you hate freedom change the Constitution. 
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I don’t particularly care what people personally believe until they legislate them and force others to comply. The problem is what you believe will inevitably influence your actions, and that is what I am concerned with.
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@croweupc
So because I believe different than you I can't be trusted or have freedom. Seems you are an evil prick. 
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
What are you talking about?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@croweupc
The problem is what you believe will inevitably influence your actions, and that is what I am concerned with.
This is true for anyone. But because I am a theists my thoughts can't be trusted and you fear me. Not my problem. Get over your paranoid hate. 

croweupc
croweupc
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
I don’t know you or what you believe. If you vote to take away the rights of others who disagree, then I care. If you don’t and just practice your beliefs without restricting the rights of others, then go right ahead. I only mean to point out the absurdity of the beliefs many religious people have. If that sounds like I want to make religion somehow illegal, I want to assure you that you are mistaken and that was not at all my intent.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@croweupc
Buddhists don’t tell people to serve their Deity or burn in hell. They simply want to eliminate unnecessary suffering. Christianity seems only to create suffering, guilt, judgment, and bigotry.
Actually, Buddhists do believe in hell. Even McDharma Buddhists acknowledge this.

Eliminate suffering?

If you don't think there are violent and corrupt Buddhists, you may want to take a Buddhist tour of Asia sometime and see the brawling monks in Korea, the Buddhist scam artists in Thailand, violent and religious intolerant Buddhists in Burma, etc.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@croweupc
The Ultimate Reality exists.

To say that God doesn't exist is a stupid and self defeating proposition that not only doesn't deserve to be taken seriously, but deserves the most severe of mockings. 
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@RoderickSpode
They don’t believe in the same hell many Christians do of eternal conscious torment. The Buddhist taught the four noble truths which is all about eliminating unnecessary suffering. Is there corruption in the Buddhist religion? Sure. It is made up of people. I was talking about the fundamentals of the religion and not the people who believe in it. People are either good or they are bad regardless of their religious persuasion.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
you may want to take a Buddhist tour of Asia sometime and see the brawling monks in Korea, the Buddhist scam artists in Thailand, violent and religious intolerant Buddhists in Burma, etc

Wow, is that on TripAdvisor? :-) How do you find these tours?

You know as well as I do you can replace "buddhist" with "Christian" and see all the same behavior, right? And you can keep the money in America by doing so. Want to see a bunch of brawling Christians? Go to a roadhouse in Alabama around 1AM on a Saturday, chances are pretty good. Christian scam artists...like the ones flying around in their private jets living in mansions they call pastoral centers? Violent religious intolerant Christians...they're a dime a dozen nowadays. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Notice that all the problems are in deviation from Christ rather than Christianity itself.

That is why it is a fallacy to judge Christianity based on the failures of those who practice it improperly.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
If only there were a sure fire way to know which of the many different denominations is practicing it properly. I don't notice anything being a 'deviation from Christ', I just see a bunch of flawed humans who all think, with the exact same level of evidence, that they have divine cover to do shit that goes against decent human behavior. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Perhaps you are not truly interested in knowing, which is why you think there is no way to know.

Spoiler alert, it is The Orthodox Catholic Church.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Orthodox Christianity is incompatible with protestant denominationalism or "nondenominationalism" which is oddly enough just denominationalism without discernment.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Cool, then you should be out there telling all of the other Christian adherents to get on board for demonstrable reasons X Y and Z, because they all say the exact same thing about their own churches, and they should see it's true so easily that they're convinced and your dumb ass church can grow exponentially overnight, all thanks to you! Why are you here? Is it to continue to reduce your ratio of "information to words"? Because bang on, brother. You're killing it that way! Argumentation, persuasion, meaningful contribution, not so much. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
What is the point of wasting my time and effort writing up a large argument for you that you aren't going to read?

You don't really care. You are content to dismiss Christianity all together. Real Christianity is not important to you.

I mean look at you, so quick to hurl abuse my way. This in itself is evidence that the truth isn't in you. It is a sign of your immaturity and unreasonableness. In fact, I predict that instead of correcting your behavior and engaging me like an adult, you are going to double down and continue to hurl abuse my way while defending yourself in vain. Maybe even try to turn it around on me.

Well, if you do as I predict, this conversation will be useless. If you adjust to the right attitude, maybe we will have a fruitful conversation.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@croweupc
They don’t believe in the same hell many Christians do of eternal conscious torment. The Buddhist taught the four noble truths which is all about eliminating unnecessary suffering. Is there corruption in the Buddhist religion? Sure. It is made up of people. I was talking about the fundamentals of the religion and not the people who believe in it. People are either good or they are bad regardless of their religious persuasion.
Do you mean to say that the hell in Buddhism is not a torment?

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@ludofl3x

Wow, is that on TripAdvisor? :-) How do you find these tours?
Don't quote me on it, but violentbuddhists.com may have bookings for this tour.

You know as well as I do you can replace "buddhist" with "Christian" and see all the same behavior, right? And you can keep the money in America by doing so. Want to see a bunch of brawling Christians? Go to a roadhouse in Alabama around 1AM on a Saturday, chances are pretty good. Christian scam artists...like the ones flying around in their private jets living in mansions they call pastoral centers? Violent religious intolerant Christians...they're a dime a dozen nowadays.
If you go to a roadhouse in Alabama and do a survey, then I'll believe you. But if you get any "Naw, Ah don't beeleeve in no God", then your theory is rendered void.
croweupc
croweupc
-->
@RoderickSpode
And I quote “eternal conscious torment”.

Buddhist don’t believe in permanence.

I think my overall point is being missed, I’m not Buddhist.