The 3 people in the top 5 who are undefeated should debate each other.

Author: Alec

Total: 85
RationalMadman
Debates: 562
RationalMadman
There was also another guy, year/grade above mine but he's just a very intelligent guy, not genius level. Opened my mind to some Machiavellian concepts and we went from buddies to enemies soon after we parted ways due to an argument that revolved around morality and what friendship is. I was the naive one, I don't regret the stance I took but I do regret how I carried myself in the conversation and how it ended.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
Do you listen to yourself speak?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Yeah I'm a fantastic person to listen to tbh. I prefer to read what I wrote though, it's faster and less weird.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Alec
Honestly, I'm just super pleased to be included in this conversation.  RatMan calling me creative is about the best compliment I ever got on this site.  And I agree with his assessment that the more formal the debate, the more I'm out of my depth.  I've never had a debate class and all my knowledge of debate terms, tactics, fallacies, etc. comes from DART & DDO before it.

From a strategic point of view, I'd be a fool to accept a moderated debate with a fair number of debaters on this site of superior reason and/or experience, which the leaderboard reflects but partially.  To have any hope of attaining every medaled achievement on this site, I'd have to gain the sexist "King of the Hill" gold medal and soon.  There are many debaters who joined after me who are far more prolific and are winning at rates that make it clear that I won't be near the top of the leaderboard for very long- the rating system rewards productivity and I'm bound to fuck up soon and fall behind.  My best shot is to pick my fights very carefully while hoping that something horrible happens to the chief contenders.

To that end, Alec-  You should consider summiting Everest this weekend- I hear the view is quite spectacular.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Alec
I'm almost undefeated lol, the large majority of my losses were from troll debates, I think I lost only like 2 or 3 serious debates :O

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Speedrace
Don't ever feel shame for the losses. You and I are real warriors, with scars and beauty to our style of debate. We risk, we evolve and we impress.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@RationalMadman
whispers Don't talk to me, you'll ruin my reputation dude

Jk
PsychometricBrain
Debates: 10
PsychometricBrain
-->
@RationalMadman
Not sure if you're trolling mate, but you seem to be seeking a lot of external validation. You might want to focus on internal validation and making sure that your achievements in real life are consistent with your self-image.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@PsychometricBrain
I don't get what you're saying. Isn't it a bit insane to not need validation at all?

Like I never get those people who are content being seen as an unimpressive waste of space. Your ego should feel damaged if you're seen that way, in my opinion and I'd never tell anyone differently even as a therapist.

The idea that you should base your confidence entirely on internal validation is something that results in people being unbelievably offputting and antisocially strange.
oromagi
oromagi
Submitted into evidence: Ragnar kicking my ass in 2013

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
Personally I would happily show my debate vs you on the similar topic to anyone I want to impress and am close to, who has interest in the topic.

I genuinely stand by my case and loved my ending strategy of pinning one angle you came at me with against another making your case implode. It's sad the only voter was someone who had malicious intent and couldn't grasp the concepts.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@RationalMadman
I enjoyed that one too, RatMan.  Your arguments read like mazes with no exit.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Just as an FYI, ou were incoherent and posted a huge jumbled word salad that made almost no sense, in any form. You had huge multi clause sentences that were over 100 words long, talking about the point, potential rebuttals to it, and the rebuttal to the rebuttal. 

Unfortunately, it wasn’t the case that I didn’t grasp your argument, it was that your argument was not as good as Oromagi.

We covered this in our debate.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@oromagi
I can't really tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
We didn't cover anything in 'our' debate. You misrepresented and glossed over having to prove that I was erroneous. You didn't even explain where I went wrong. 

The idea that 100 words can't be one sentence is a social construct where people with OCD and simple brains think you need to cut everything you come up with up into sections that are normal sized. I don't care what you think about the debate to be very frank, it made me laugh that you couldn't grasp what I put forth.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
Again; I grasped your point: your point was just terrible, poorly thought out, and largely illogical - it was all covered in the RfD.

In the debate; as I showed, you weren’t able to explain what part of my RfD was wrong, or missed out key information. I defended my RfD, explained why it was valid, you capitulated, ran away, quit the site for 3 days, then started writing a bunch of self flagellating morose raps about how you were beaten and broken but you were going to fight back.

Speedrace
Speedrace
Welp, forget me :(
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
It was a great point, well thought out and super incredible.
See how that works? Start explaining.

Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Speedrace
I think you’re debating dark horse.
Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Ramshutu
Is that a person or an adjective?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
You listed your objections in the debate, I explained why your objections were completely unfair and rooted in your ability to accept your own failure.

You then ran away.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
-->
@Speedrace
you know, a dark horse: doesn’t always get rated highly, but can win big races.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
No, you didn't
 Care to repeat them if you did?
Ramshutu
Ramshutu

You can take a look here:
https://www.debateart.com/debates/697

I showed in round 1, you repeatedly cry wolf whenever people vote against you.

You made a bunch of arguments, then dropped them. You raised your objections, I dealt with them over multiple rounds.

You when you couldn’t show how the votes were dishonest, and I gave basic and reasonable justifications for why your interpretation was wrong. You threw a fit, then ran away. 

Speedrace
Speedrace
-->
@Ramshutu
I didn't know that, actually, but thanks?? lol
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Ramshutu
Yeah it's called lying. You're lying about what I did. Thanks for your input.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
If you read my last round I even specifically go into why I didn't have to address every point.

I already know what happens when I cover every base and address every point, you get triggered and call it gish gallop you fake ass banana swish.

Yes, I censored myself so you can't report this.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
thing is man, you're not even targetting me right. You're already spreading your hate and stupidity to places like this debate: 

I'm gaining allies, you're making enemies.

I'm losing enemies, you're losing allies.

This isn't delusion, in time you'll realise that I was right to ditch that Trello and not ever deal with you in private again. You're going to end up very lonely on this website and without a single real friend left in the game with the attitude you have. You think everyone's a toy unless they're in a position of power but the thing about being a sycophant is that it only lasts so long as both the people in power dig it and as long as no one you mistreated ends up in power or influencing those in power.

I'd say good luck, but we both know I wish you only the worst. Stop fucking with everyone on the site as you please, it's gonna bite you in the ass in the long run.
Ramshutu
Ramshutu
I think the real issue is that you don’t take criticism well. I can understand that - but, its not a great position to have. Any vote against you is taken as a personal attack, and you seem not to learn from your errors.

There was a sharp downturn in your debate quality, your raps more recently are shadows of what they used to be, they’re not funny, barely have any real decemnt rhymes, and combined with a sharp uptick in the number of credible debaters you’ve faced, your previous tactics don’t really work any more.

Most of your first 90 debates were majority rap battles, or forfeits. You've generally done fairly poorly against better quality debaters, you only really had like a 40% win rate in non troll, serious debates at that time. Your problem has always been both an inability to properly express your point, control your stream of consciousness, and often a fixation with tangents, unrelated aspects or unimportant details; you often lose sight of the resolution, and argue over your opponent - not attacking key points well enough

Around the time Wrick it Joined, you made a play for noob sniping a bunch of the new members, I’m sure expecting them to forfeit; only to find that they were able to put in a reasonable effort. You had 20+ debates in the debating period at one point, and your quality went down the toilet, your debate rounds were minimal and dismissive, you barely addressed people, you forfeited a ton; and you lost a bunch of those debates.

Since then, I am not entirely sure what’s happened. The majority of debates that you’ve done appear just weird semantic attacks out of left field. I never view these favourably, and I’m surprised that someone in the top 300,000 smart people in the world keep using it, and being perpetually surprised at losing when voters - not just me, mind - penalize you for it over and over again.

If you dropped the word salad: which makes some of your posts indecipherable, dropped huge block quotes with no context, and focused on the resolution, and solely affirming or negating and stop with the odd semantic nonsense, you’d do much better and may even start showing some of the top 3000,00 quality.

The important thing is that I’m not your problem. You are your problem. It just so happens that as I vote most often, I’m the most visible face of criticism against you. If I wasn’t here, you’d probably be accusing Ragnar of being dishonest.

Until you recognize the true root cause of your issues, they will remain and thus people will keep voting against you, and your losses will keep racking up, regardless of whether I end up voting or not.

I am more than willing to help completely deconstruct your debates with you, and break down the specific errors you made and explain how you can improve. Everyone here would be. I think that may be the best step for you to appreciate the type of errors you are making -  but first you need to accept that you are making them.

Unfortunately, if you don’t recognize the current gulf between your attitude and your ability, you’re going to be consistently disappointed over the longer term.

blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
@Ramshutu
@Alec
I'm honestly flattered. However, I started work recently. It is going to be a bit before I can join tournaments like this again.