Why do many monotheists seem to see polytheism as illegitimate?

Author: Castin

Total: 44
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Again, it always starts with a premise.  I have seen the studies which is why I acknowledged that many might disagree. But having seen the studies - I was not persuaded by the science nor of the theories behind them.   
You cannot start with a conclusion and work backwards and expect to reliably arrive at truth. That is called confirmation bias and is the reason for your self inflicted scientific ignorance. 

This is why evolutionists only ever end up thinking evolution is correct.  It is also why they ignore every other bit of information elsewhere. Confirmation Bias. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Humanity made in a GODS image and a GOD made in humanities image is exactly the same thing, if you think about it from a human perspective....Which after all, is the only way that people do think.

Humanity creates GODS in its image, and humanity creates GODS that create humanity in it's image.....It's all man made.
Stephen
Debates: 0
Stephen

EtrnlVw, wrote: 
I would say polytheism probably came before monotheism and monotheism only came about as a misunderstanding of polytheism

Nonsense.

Monotheism came about because a self confessed "jealous god" commanded it. 

"for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God,"

"You shall have no other gods before me".

"He who sacrifices to any god, other than to [Me] the  LORD alone, shall be utterly destroyed".

"Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you";

"“Be careful to do everything I have said to you. Do not invoke the names of other gods; do not let them be heard on your lips."

The interesting thing about this is that this god- this jealous god- the Christian god- recognises the existence of other gods. Yet Christians deny there are/were other gods. You couldn't make it up.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
So tell me - why do think logic and reason is a good place to start? And please do so without using any logic or reason. 
This is a nonsensical request. If one could make a case for anything without logic and reason then it might not be the ONLY place to start. You are asking me to disprove my own point. If you really wish to show that logic and reason are not the ONLY place to start why not make literally any point without using logic and reason. Honestly do you even read what you are writing?
This is why evolutionists only ever end up thinking evolution is correct.  It is also why they ignore every other bit of information elsewhere. Confirmation Bias. 
What are you talking about? The process of evolution (as separate of the theory of evolution through natural selection) is observable and testable in laboratory conditions. Up to and including speciation.
Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Castin
Okay I have no recollection of making this thread at all and I'm kind of having a dissociative identity panic response, like there's another me or Doppelganger Castin I need to find and shoot in the head before she makes more threads that do not reflect any personality I am aware of.
Maybe you just forgot, I forget things often enough.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Castin
I liked doppleganger Castin more, she chatted with me and was friendly.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Confirmation bias....Same applies to Christian creationists.

Though, I am a creationist evolutionist, so I have no bias then?

I just think that the CHRISTIAN GOD creation-hypothesis is extremely flawed and therefore unlikely.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Evolution is the paradigm example of confirmation bias.  Next comes the global climate change.  
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
Anything can be a paradigm example of confirmation bias...Next comes climate change denial.

Reality is, what ever that might be....Everything inside a human brain.....But not necessarily anything inside a human's brain.

You've got no more chance of pinning it down than I have.

Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Agree in principle. 
Castin
Castin
-->
@RationalMadman
I liked doppleganger Castin more, she chatted with me and was friendly.
Aw c'mon man, I've been away for like 8-9 months mourning bish. Been ghosting errybody since the fallout.
Castin
Castin
-->
@Tradesecret
For example, the Catholic Encyclopedia states, "Formal dogmatic atheism is self-refuting, and has never de facto won the reasoned assent of any considerable number of men. Nor can polytheism, however easily it may take hold of the popular imagination, ever satisfy the mind of a philosopher."

Dawkins: "It is not clear why the change from polytheism to monotheism should be assumed to be a self-evidently progressive improvement."

I must say it isn't clear to me either. Do you believe polytheism is somehow less evolved than monotheism? If so, why? And if not, why do you think others do?
I would take the view that monotheism is the original and that polytheism is the later.  Yes, I know current thinking rejects this for all sorts of reasons.  But the Biblical picture commences with ONE GOD and humanity made in God's image.  As man learned more and more wisdom they started seeing gods everywhere and behind everything. And ironically, enough the gods started looking more and more like man. Hence - it went from ONE GOD with humanity made in God's image to many gods all made in the image of humanity and its variants.  

Oh the wonder of human wisdom. 

In Biblical Wisdom - Things devolve over time due to the taint of sin. And only after Jesus came - did the curse start to reverse - in respect of the way the world began to mature.  In this sense it follows the second law of thermodynamics but then in Christ - starts something wonderful and new. 

The wisdom of humanity - perceived in things like evolutionary theory - dismiss science - particularly the second law of dynamics - in terms of the bigger picture. They would rather talk about the ascent of humanity. Rather than its descent. Ah the wisdom of humanity. 
I will ignore that this ignores all evidence, and ask simply - why do you want to believe monotheism is older? Does age equal authority to you?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@Castin
I don't personally care which is older. I don't have an agenda or a bias. 

But it makes sense that copies copy. there must be an original somewhere for it to be copied. 

The Bible of course declares that there is one God - so probably I would start there. 
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@Castin
It really begs the question, does God, mono, poly, or otherwise actually exist, and revealing his identity to individuals?

If so, then we can probably make a fair assumption that God is who he claims to be. The trick I guess is to try and get God to answer that question personally.

If one doesn't do that, they're left with pondering the claims of others.

Another question would be, are their claims of God claiming to be a combo of multiple gods, or that God claims there are numerous gods that can play the role as a mediator? I'm not claiming it never happens, but generally polytheistic religion does not focus on an intimate relationship with a god(s).

It may be as simple as this. When you came to this forum, you revealed to all that you are Castin. I don't think you ever claimed that you were a combo of Castin, Ludo, and Brother D. Or that there are numerous Castins on this site.

Then again since you don't recall posting this thread, maybe there are 2 Castins?