What should we do about student loans?

Author: thett3

Total: 65
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Sure, competition can be a good thing, but, like with all good things, too much of that good thing is usually a bad thing. Remember that. Obviously having competition can motivate people to work harder and boost the economy, but, because we have so much of it, it's starting to get way out of control, backfire on us, and do more harm than good.

It's a voluntary system. You can choose not to compete.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Christen
Also remember...the more competition the more opportunity...which means more progress.

Economies run by monopolies and governments have very little opportunities and very little room for innovation and progress.

USA is supposedly a bastion for personal opportunity.
Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Christen
People like Bernie Sanders believe that making college free for everyone would be the answer. 
I didn't read your numbers... but, our goal should be to get as many people to college as possible. A smarter society should be our goal. With that said, we should also work on our school system... they are teaching crap. By making it "free" maybe we can also work on teaching humans what they need to be taught. Things like sociology, psychology, self improvement, self confidence, etc., bc we need more people that understand society and themselves. 

I will admit Bernie Sanders is talking about big changes... but the reality is, that's a tactic. He will have to meet in the middle with all of his proposals... which to me, the middle is better than where we are presently. I don't get how you can listen to that man and not understand what he is trying to do. If he is true to his words, which is interesting how Trump mimicked his populist message in a way, i think Bernie is what the system needs to actually shake things up. I don't care about who is left or right... i voted for Trump... i care about who is going to shake the system enough to expose those in power manipulating all of us "little people" ... Again, the Epstein case should be a wake up call to society how the powerful just don't care about us... they will kill, they will manipulate, they will do anything in their power (which is a lot of power that we are willingly giving to insignificant humans) to be able to have things they want... like stick their ugly man sticks into 12 year olds. Our world has too much evil running it... and we are all focused on frivolous right / left bullshit. We are still apes with monkey brains sticking to tribes like idiots... this is the world we deserve until we understand who our true enemies are.    

DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@Outplayz
@Christen
Making college free will turn it into 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th grade  (community college is close enough to that as it is).  It will not change anything because the teachers will be just as good as the economic status of the jurisdictions they are teaching... They will have districts, it will be runned by the county or jurisdiction, there will be regulations where people can go and where they can't.  You think that Bernie is all of the sudden going to make Harvard or Yale free?  

The problem with education is the donations received from fund raisers, extra curricular activities, mostly from the people that live in the area.  If you live in a poor neighborhood, you get the worst teachers, the worst books, the worst schools, less oversight, and nothing ever changes.  Free college is nothing different than extending that problem to later years in life.  Is that what everyone wants?

I believe in competition, it makes the world go round.  The only thing that hurts people is patenting the wrong things, and then taking advantage of that patent by pricing it so high that it is unattainable to the people that need it to survive.  Like drugs.  Now this is where I feel like a democrat, I point out the wrong but have no feasible suggestions to improve or change the situation, because the people that put a boatload of money into that R and D, should come out making a good amount of money on their investment, but if we make available to all at a low price, there is no incentive.

It's a catch 22
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@DBlaze
It's a catch 22
Saying that means that there is no way to fix it... i can't believe that with as much money some make. But currently, jumping to a system from the one we have does have this danger. But that's only bc we are obsessed with greed and power... we do not spend money responsibly and most importantly for the betterment of the whole. That's humanities problem imho.