Why do you support Israel?

Author: triangle.128k

Total: 75
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Username
Well, they tend to make Israel synonymous with Jews. Calling people antisemitic for criticizing Israel is one way they do that. Cheap, but surprisingly effective tactic, honestly. So Jewish support and Israeli support are likely correlated here.

Could be they are afraid of Muslims though, haha.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@triangle.128k

Most of those arms Israel had were bought, not given. Palestine had opportunities to purchase weapons from all sorts of anti-west nations, including all the surrounding Arab nations along with Russia.

Palestine was just a broke backwards culture though, so the loser was the one that couldn't scrape up a decent army, as is the case of a lot of losers in war. Yeah, it's so sad and tragic, but there has to be a loser in these wars for wars to end.

Nobody is crying over the backwards Confederate south culture that couldn't scrape up enough money for weapons, and were the losers of war.

Want to have land? Don't suck at war.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Username
To be fair this isn't really relevant to Evangelical support for Israel. I think they mostly support Israel b/c they're afraid of Muslims lmao.
Yup
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@triangle.128k
And clearly there is a right side and a wrong side.
Yep.  The right side is your side and the wrong side is the other, and they other guy thinks exactly the same.

And Russia or China will lean any way that suits.

Though for the reasons that you have given, the U.S. cannot afford to take it's eye of the Israeli ball for a minute....Therefore withdrawing is totally out of the question

Fedora tipping.
See Dr Franklin.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Not exactly the same...But basically the same.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
not true
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Yep it's true.

Same people, different club, same basic hypothesis but differing styles of embellishment.

Unless you are a Martian of course, displaying alternative physiology.....And you know something that we humans don't know.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
lol no
Nemiroff
Debates: 15
Nemiroff
-->
@Username
Current activities in the territories, sterilizing black people, demolishing Palestinian buildings in East Jerusalem, acting as a big homie to Trump, spreading online propaganda, suffocating Gaza... New shit comes out all the time. I'm an Israeli, but it's really hard to be patriotic about a regime like this. 

Yeah, isreal has done some screwed up shit, particularly Netanyahu's administration. But Israel has done some very exceptional things as well in pursuit of peace, particularly in previous administrations. Israel has been getting more extreme and hateful as of late, however they have been living with hate their entire lives. It's totally one sided now, but only a decade or 2 ago they had to deal with randomly exploding at the market or on a bus. 
Username
Debates: 9
Username
-->
@Nemiroff
That's true, and of course, I don't support terrorism and deplore organizations like Fatah for funding it. 

But I don't think it'd be correct to say that 20 years ago Israel was the good guys.  Even so far back as the foundation of Israel, you had Israelis building mini-ethnostates by kicking non-Jews from their homes. Take the 1948 Partition Plan. Israel had a vastly disproportionate share of land compared to its population, and yet accepted the deal graciously. Even respected Israeli leaders like Ben-Gurion were talking about "abolishing partition and spreading to the whole of Palestine."  Look at all the war crimes Israel committed in the Independence war and how few people were punished for them. Look at how quickly Israel jumped into war against the Arabs in 1967 and look at how they lied about Egyptians planning to attack first even when the military generals knew that Egypt wasn't ready for a fight. Seems like they committed war crimes there too. Look at Israel's questionable '82 Lebanon invasion, and how they potentially killed people themselves but also allowed the Phalangists to murder people in the streets. Look at what Israel did in Operation Protective Edge in 2014. 

All of these situations are complicated but in most of these situations it's fairly obvious that Israel has not been a benevolent country for quite a while. 

Nemiroff
Nemiroff
-->
@triangle.128k
A two state solution shouldn't have ever happened in the first place. In 1947 at the time of the partition, the Israeli Jews were a small minority in the land. It was overwhelmingly Arab. The Arab League wanted to establish a state that would guarantee the rights of Jews in Palestine to citizenship, religious freedom, and local autonomy in areas where they are dominant. However, Zionism has always been about establishing a state in an already inhabited country - inherently leading to the disenfranchisement of the native Palestinian citizens once they got western support. Israel is clearly in the wrong here, if two state peace is not possible then Israel needs to go. 
The british took that land from the ottomans. It was never self governed. The british promised the land to both the arabs and the Jews, who badly needed a place to live, and were also promising an egalitarian society of freedom and respect for Palestinians. The early Zionists were openly secular and very left wing. I would like to see a reference to palestinians offering freedom to jews, for they never showed up to any talks, and were the first to initiate violence. 

The jews moved into empty lands and built cities, or bought homes voluntarily from willing palestinians. They literally put up with a decade of violence without retaliation from 1920 to 1930, and even then it was a breakaway group that was declared terrorist by the official settler bodies. Israel as is was established because of Palestinian xenophobia and violence.
Username
Username
-->
@Nemiroff
Good points, but it's important to understand that the British promised the Arabs the land as well.  I'd be angry if I fought a war for land I wouldn't even get.
Nemiroff
Nemiroff
-->
@Username
"Good points, but it's important to understand that the British promised the Arabs the land as well.  I'd be angry if I fought a war for land I wouldn't even get."

What war were the palestinians fighting? As far as i am aware they were part of the ottomans who lost the war. British didnt take over until the war ended. And yes, the Brits hold the majority of the blame in this situation and the situation as a whole.

Im glad to see someone with a nuanced view, usually im fighting off both sides who consider me simultaneously a zionist and an antisemite.... lol.

But I don't think it'd be correct to say that 20 years ago Israel was the good guys.  Even so far back as the foundation of Israel, you had Israelis building mini-ethnostates by kicking non-Jews from their homes. Take the 1948 Partition Plan. Israel had a vastly disproportionate share of land compared to its population, and yet accepted the deal graciously. Even respected Israeli leaders like Ben-Gurion were talking about "abolishing partition and spreading to the whole of Palestine."  Look at all the war crimes Israel committed in the Independence war and how few people were punished for them. Look at how quickly Israel jumped into war against the Arabs in 1967 and look at how they lied about Egyptians planning to attack first even when the military generals knew that Egypt wasn't ready for a fight. Seems like they committed war crimes there too. Look at Israel's questionable '82 Lebanon invasion, and how they potentially killed people themselves but also allowed the Phalangists to murder people in the streets. Look at what Israel did in Operation Protective Edge in 2014. 
I dont know the details of every operation, especially the more recent ones, but i am open to info, however i did read more on the earlier struggle. I am not saying they were innocent 20 years ago, im saying they were under legitamete threat from suicide bombings in contrast to Hamas's ineffective rockets of today. I was explaining why israel has become so hostile and jaded to palestinians. 100 years of constant violence did that to both sides, however Israel was far less hostile and violent at the beginning. They did not kick out any arabs until war started, and 1) they did not start the war, 2) they were under attack by the local arabs for decades prior to the war including an entire decade of nonretaliation. Once war starts, of course attrocities happened, but the lead up to the war is mostly on the shoulders of the palestinians imo. So yeah, they got alittle aggressive during the war, nothing unexpected.

Too.my knowledge israel did not jump into wars with anyone, but responded. The exact lebanon event im unsure of, but is this following persistant bombardment from golan heights into Israel? Thats not an unprovoked attack, that's a response, and fully justified. Unless im mixing things up. I know i left some events out but it was too many points at once, lets settle these first.

23 days later

Username
Username
-->
@Nemiroff
What war were the palestinians fighting? As far as i am aware they were part of the ottomans who lost the war.
No, no, they were revolting against them. They were promised a united Arab state if they did. 

British didnt take over until the war ended. And yes, the Brits hold the majority of the blame in this situation and the situation as a whole.
Yeah, the British handled it poorly. 

I dont know the details of every operation, especially the more recent ones, but i am open to info, however i did read more on the earlier struggle. I am not saying they were innocent 20 years ago, im saying they were under legitamete threat from suicide bombings in contrast to Hamas's ineffective rockets of today. I was explaining why israel has become so hostile and jaded to palestinians. 100 years of constant violence did that to both sides, however Israel was far less hostile and violent at the beginning. They did not kick out any arabs until war started, and 1) they did not start the war, 2) they were under attack by the local arabs for decades prior to the war including an entire decade of nonretaliation. Once war starts, of course attrocities happened, but the lead up to the war is mostly on the shoulders of the palestinians imo. So yeah, they got alittle aggressive during the war, nothing unexpected.

I'd say that expanding as a state into land that's owned by people who are completely different than you would probably seem aggressive to those that you're displacing. I'd also say that kicking people from their homes is incredibly immoral whether you're in war on not in war. It seems like Israel was also killing a lot of innocents during the war too.

A lot of Israeli land during and before the 1948 war was created by going into the homes of Arabs who had left and then saying, "sorry, you can't live here anymore". I question the legitimacy of a lot of Israel's pre-1948 aquisitions for this reason. 

8 days later

triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@Nemiroff
The british took that land from the ottomans. It was never self governed. The british promised the land to both the arabs and the Jews, who badly needed a place to live, and were also promising an egalitarian society of freedom and respect for Palestinians. The early Zionists were openly secular and very left wing. I would like to see a reference to palestinians offering freedom to jews, for they never showed up to any talks, and were the first to initiate violence. 

On 20 May 1948, Azzam told reporters "We are fighting for an Arab Palestine. Whatever the outcome the Arabs will stick to their offer of equal citizenship for Jews in Arab Palestine and let them be as Jewish as they like. In areas where they predominate they will have complete autonomy." (Copied from Wikipedia)

The early Zionists were "openly secular" yet as soon as they gained power, they used that power to persecute local Palestinians and repress non-Jews. The only reason all out war even happened was because of how skewed the partition plan was to favor the Israeli Jewish minority at the expense of the Arab majority.

If they were such peaceful and enlightened settlers without malicious intents, then why would such a small minority (at the time) feel the need to create an Israeli state in a land that's overwhelmingly Arab?

The jews moved into empty lands and built cities, or bought homes voluntarily from willing palestinians. They literally put up with a decade of violence without retaliation from 1920 to 1930, and even then it was a breakaway group that was declared terrorist by the official settler bodies. Israel as is was established because of Palestinian xenophobia and violence.
All of a sudden, out of nowhere, evil Arab people decided to be xenophobes? Yeah it's not like the Jews weren't kicked out of 109 countries earlier. Regardless, the land belongs to Palestinians as their claim is far more legitimate than that of the Jewish settlers. They shouldn't have been settling there in the first place.