I think people would rather be hypocrites then state their wrongs

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 76
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Mostly because the rights of citizenship begin at birth.
Doesn't mean that right is just or should be upheld. Do you have something more to go on?
Fact: the rights of citizenship begin at birth.

If you would like to argue that this is somehow "wrong" or should be changed for some reason, I'm all ears.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I'm pretty certain they call themselves "pro-choice".  Nobody is advocating for mass abortions.  Nobody wants people to have abortions.

They are simply arguing that it should be an option.  It is an unpleasant choice that is less-bad than many of the alternatives.
Clearly semantics
It is an unpleasant choice that is less-bad than many of the alternatives.

or I don't know you are triggered by some framing.
I appreciate your dime-store psychoanalysis.

I am pretty sure that the majority democratic stance is if they need an abortion then they should have it which goes for every single abortion occurring right now and in the past. 
I'm pretty sure it's a private matter between a woman and her doctor.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
The Supreme Court’s decision finding a right to privacy arose in a 1965 case involving the right of a married couple to use contraception called Griswold v. Connecticut.  But the right has become responsible for court decisions supporting adult rights to sexual intimacy, to gay marriage, and to the rights of parents to make family decisions, such as whether their children are home-schooled or go to religious schools. The right to privacy also supports an adult’s right to decide their medical care, and an adult’s right to die, by rejecting medical care in certain circumstances. This medical care area also implicates the rights and autonomy of the physically disabled and the mentally ill. Further, the right to privacy can support artificial insemination. And transgender individuals have used privacy to argue that schools cannot ban them from certain bathrooms, and that government must generally support their gender identity choices. 
Where was the part that being against abortion impacts this again?
De facto protection for abortion stems from a right to privacy.  (IFF) abortion is made illegal (THEN) the right to privacy (that protects it) must be dissolved. [LINK]
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@3RU7AL
Should it stay a right or are you going to cower behind muh law instead of making an argument?
Oh so you were triggered over my framing and still want to discuss. Okay. 
Worth more than your cold takes. Muh hypocrite. Muh liar. Muh because the law said so.
I have already shown a therapist example and you would have to show that either a fetus is not a life or privacy is more valuable. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@3RU7AL
De facto protection for abortion stems from a right to privacy. [LINK]
I am not advocating for the against abortion that leads to more privacy concerns. A slippery slope fallacy is still a slippery slope fallacy. Free speech is not actually defended in the United States because people are not able to simply state they want to murder someone but that hasn't led to other violations because of it. Republicans will have the power to do so anyway and by the looks of it they will remain in power given the next election cycle so they are still going to do it. I am not for that. Doesn't mean there can't be a system where the US has an anti-abortion stance yet maintain other privacy. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Most miscarriages are preventable.  (IFF) an embryo is a citizen (THEN) a preventable miscarriage is manslaughter.
Any evidence?
The definition states: the spontaneous or unplanned expulsion of a fetus from the womb before it is able to survive independently.
So if you were proving anything you would be proving that it wasn't a miscarriage instead was intentional fetus killing or something.
Manslaughter is the unintentional killing of another citizen.

(IFF) you consider an embryo a child (THEN) neglect and or malnourishment of an embryo should be considered child abuse.

Some lifestyle habits – such as drug abuse, alcohol use during pregnancy, and smoking – have been found cause early miscarriage and pregnancy loss in later trimesters. Optimizing your health leading up to your pregnancy could help reduce your risk of miscarriage. "Up to half of pregnancies are unplanned, which means women are often not best prepared for pregnancy when it occurs," Dr. Zobel says. "Most women do not realize that they are pregnant until a couple weeks after their missed period. By that time, the fetal spinal cord has already been formed and the heart is beating. Preparing for pregnancy by modifying diet and exercise, limiting stress, optimizing chronic medical disorders, and beginning prenatal vitamins is ideal for all pregnancies. [LINK]
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@3RU7AL
Manslaughter is the unintentional killing of another citizen.
Who said I have a problem with the manslaughter charge? I didn't. 
You said:
Most miscarriages are preventable.  (IFF) an embryo is a citizen (THEN) a preventable miscarriage is manslaughter.
If a miscarriage is preventable it is not a miscarriage.
Some lifestyle habits – such as drug abuse, alcohol use during pregnancy, and smoking – have been found cause early miscarriage and pregnancy loss in later trimesters. Optimizing your health leading up to your pregnancy could help reduce your risk of miscarriage. "Up to half of pregnancies are unplanned, which means women are often not best prepared for pregnancy when it occurs," Dr. Zobel says. "Most women do not realize that they are pregnant until a couple weeks after their missed period. By that time, the fetal spinal cord has already been formed and the heart is beating. Preparing for pregnancy by modifying diet and exercise, limiting stress, optimizing chronic medical disorders, and beginning prenatal vitamins is ideal for all pregnancies. [LINK]
If they don't nor have access to this information then it is not their fault. Fault lies with people who know what they are doing is bad yet they still do it. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
It does not really matter whether a woman is pro- or anti-abortion. In states like Tennessee, with its freshly passed anti-abortion amendment, you can be arrested for having a miscarriage.
Am I supposed to be for this or something? I am not given the definition that is "spontaneous" or "unplanned". If a miscarriage is preventable it is not a miscarriage.
(IFF) an embryo is a citizen (THEN) all embryo deaths should be investigated as potential manslaughter and or murder cases.

An alarming number of women are being arrested, prosecuted and jailed just for losing their pregnancies. In addition to anti-abortion measures, you can thank the advance of “personhood” fights for embryos, fetuses and even fertilized eggs for that. 
Guess more filler. What were you trying to show with this again?
This is the very real and practical consequence of anti-abortion laws that recognize embryos as citizens.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Being anti-abortion = anti patient-doctor confidentiality.
If I said I was going to murder a bunch of people to a therapist and carefully laid out how I would do it. Are you telling me the therapist would not speak to the proper authorities regarding what I just said?
Your own body is your jurisdiction.  If you intend to do harm to OTHER citizens, this is a matter for law enforcement.

You would have to demonstrate how anti-privacy in this specific [RED HERRING] context is more valuable than a life either by showing a fetus isn't a life or anti-privacy is more valuable.
(IFF) an embryo is NOT a citizen (THEN) it is de facto part of a woman's body (AND) it is her private decision whether or not to deport it.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
What happens inside a woman's body (sovereign territory) is her business.
What do you consider sovereign territory?
A person's right to their own autonomy is equivalent to a nation's sovereignty.

Why should what she want be valued more than what is inside of her?
Why should the rights of a sovereign country be valued more than that of an immigrant (inside of that country)?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Please provide an example of something that happens inside a woman's body that is NOT her business.
An abortion.
Please provide and example of something that happens inside a woman's body that is NOT her business in order to support your assertion that abortion is ALSO not her business.

You can't really use your own assertion to support itself.

It requires the business of lets say planned parenthood given the authority to do so by the government.
Just like removing an appendix.

Her business is only granted by the state. She wouldn't have it without the state and even if the state gave her the right she still has to use the facilities given by the government to commit to an abortion.
Or a private doctor.

If it was her business she wouldn't need the government to make it happen but she does.
All medical procedures must be approved, do you believe this invalidates your right to privacy (doctor-patient confidentiality)?

Well, I guess she could throw herself down a flight of stairs, drink a gallon of vodka, or train for a marathon.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are you assaulting or murdering a person in a foreign sovereign territory?
Fetus. What do you consider a person then?
A citizen.

Here's the problem. [LINK]
A crooked system is a crooked system. Do you think I am for a crooked system?
I am working under the premise that you prefer logical coherence over hypocrisy.

The linked example illustrates the limitations of jurisdiction.  There is no "universal law".  There are different laws for different places.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Are you suggesting we are in danger of running out of children?
No. In order for there to be people to take part in a democracy we require people. 
Without people, there is no need for democracy.  You're putting the cart before the horse here.

Please dial back the hyperbole.  You are free to make as many babies as you see fit.
It wasn't hyperbole. It is what would actually occur or you think non-existent hyperbole then I can't help you.
Your suggestion that abortion will kill off all humans and is therefore a threat to democracy is clearly hyperbole.

Calling me out for the hyperbole yet you started it? Isn't that hypocritical?
You said: 

Suggesting that every embryo should be granted the full rights and protections of citizenship from conception essentially criminalizes miscarriage and eliminates all personal privacy.
"eliminate all personal privacy"
This is a broad but defensible statement.

(IFF) an embryo is considered a citizen (THEN) every act of sexual intercourse must be reported to the state and followed up to determine if the woman acted responsibly in order to prevent a miscarriage (manslaughter).

(IFF) citizenship begins at conception (THEN) there must be a legal record.

This would appear to be a gross invasion of privacy.

The only conceivable way to enforce such a policy would be to abolish privacy.

Cameras in every home and business.  Every verbal threat registered as an assault.  Every spanking a potential child abuse case.

Hypocrite and a liar. 
Please be more specific.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Should it stay a right or are you going to cower behind muh law instead of making an argument?
Are you going to state your case or are you going to continue to appeal to ignorance?

Citizenship begins at birth.  This is logical because that is the point at which the child is identifiable and when the cord is cut, they become a functioning individual.

Oh so you were triggered over my framing and still want to discuss. Okay. 
Framing the position as "pro-abortion" is patently deceptive.

Just because someone supports the SPCA does not mean they LOVE killing puppies.

Worth more than your cold takes. Muh hypocrite. Muh liar. Muh because the law said so.
And now comes the name calling...

I have already shown a therapist example and you would have to show that either a fetus is not a life or privacy is more valuable. 
An embryo is (EITHER) a citizen (OR) not a citizen.  A tapeworm is "a life", and I'm pretty sure nobody's protesting for their rights.

You can't fully protect the rights of children without violating the privacy rights of the parents.

It is generally accepted that the privacy rights of the parents take precedence (innocent until proven guilty).
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
De facto protection for abortion stems from a right to privacy. [LINK]
I am not advocating for the against abortion that leads to more privacy concerns.
Please explain your principled objection to abortion that sidesteps the problems of embryo citizenship.

A slippery slope fallacy is still a slippery slope fallacy.
I'm simply making a case for logical coherence.  You're the one who started this anti-hypocrisy campaign.

Free speech is not actually defended in the United States because people are not able to simply state they want to murder someone but that hasn't led to other violations because of it.
There has been a long standing exception for "fighting words" including inciting a riot and yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

But these exceptions have been narrowed in recent years, raising the bar of proving someone was sincerely intending physical harm.

However, asserting that this hasn't led to other violations is a bit of a stretch.  People win free speech cases all the time.

Republicans will have the power to do so anyway and by the looks of it they will remain in power given the next election cycle so they are still going to do it. I am not for that. Doesn't mean there can't be a system where the US has an anti-abortion stance yet maintain other privacy. 
Please explain your principled objection to abortion that sidesteps the problems of embryo citizenship.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
If they don't nor have access to this information then it is not their fault. Fault lies with people who know what they are doing is bad yet they still do it. 
Would it be fair to say you don't believe any manslaughter or criminal negligence cases should ever be prosecuted?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@3RU7AL
That is a lot to go through.
I don't want to spend time on it.
Agree to disagree I guess. 
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheRealNihilist
That is a lot to go through.
I don't want to spend time on it.
Agree to disagree I guess. 
Thanks for playing.

8 days later

ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@3RU7AL
@TheRealNihilist
OMar---That is a lot to go through...I don't want to spend time on it....Agree to disagree I guess
Or you can chose one to agree too.

..."3Ru7AL---A person's right to their own autonomy is equivalent to a nation's sovereignty.  Why should the rights of a sovereign country be valued more than that of an immigrant (inside of that country)?"...
3RU7AL gets it correct 93.6% of the time

18 days later

Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
Having a pro-life position yet be for the death penalty.
What if I am pro-choice and against the death penalty?

Saying everyone should have equal rights yet not have the same position when it comes to fetuses.
Does "everyone" include:

criminals?
illegal immigrants?
foreigners?
aliens?
animals?
sub-humans?
insects?
bacteria?
fetuses?

This is why I think people, including myself too since I am guilty of this too, should be careful with words like "everyone" because I'm not sure we would all agree that a cockroach should have the "intrinsic right to life" "the right to bear arms" "the right to free speech" "the right to a free education" and "the right to free healthcare" the same way people do.

We often use words like "everyone" "everything" and "every-whatever" poorly.

Also, when it comes to "rights," it's important to remember that certain rights can be LOST. If a criminal commits a mass murder with a gun, then they lose their second amendment right to bear arms. If someone slanders and defames, then they lose their first amendment right to free speech and are legally penalized. If an unborn baby puts too much burden on it's mother, then it could lose it's "right to life" before it's even born.

Irrationality defending your side instead of bringing out rational critiques.
Irrationally defending your side isn't hypocritical. It's stupid, yes, but not necessary hypocritical.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Christen
What if I am pro-choice and against the death penalty?
Pro choice is referring to giving women the option to abort a baby.
Death penalty is a state sponsored killing.
They are different.
Does "everyone" include:

criminals?
illegal immigrants?
foreigners?
aliens?
animals?
sub-humans?
insects?
bacteria?
Do you want to know where I draw the line? 
fetuses?
Yes. Why?
This is why I think people, including myself too since I am guilty of this too, should be careful with words like "everyone" because I'm not sure we would all agree that a cockroach should have the "intrinsic right to life" "the right to bear arms" "the right to free speech" "the right to a free education" and "the right to free healthcare" the same way people do.
My use for everyone were to humans.
Also, when it comes to "rights," it's important to remember that certain rights can be LOST. If a criminal commits a mass murder with a gun, then they lose their second amendment right to bear arms. If someone slanders and defames, then they lose their first amendment right to free speech and are legally penalized. If an unborn baby puts too much burden on it's mother, then it could lose it's "right to life" before it's even born.
That would be under if you do X then you lose X right.
Irrationally defending your side isn't hypocritical. It's stupid, yes, but not necessary hypocritical.
Where did I say it was hypocritical? 
Christen
Christen
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You said:

Example:

Having a pro-life position yet be for the death penalty.
Saying everyone should have equal rights yet not have the same position when it comes to fetuses.
Irrationality defending your side instead of bringing out rational critiques.
And you listed "Irrationality defending your side instead of bringing out rational critiques." as an example of being hypocritical, right?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Christen
And you listed "Irrationality defending your side instead of bringing out rational critiques." as an example of being hypocritical, right?
Irrational comments can be hypocritical if it is inconsistent with their other views but it isn't always the case.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Joe Walsh is pro life and against the death penalty.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Christen
Also, when it comes to "rights," it's important to remember that certain rights can be LOST.
Do you believe certain rights are unalienable?
Christen
Christen
-->
@3RU7AL
I don't know. Have you heard the saying, "with freedom comes responsibility"?

Google defines unalienable as "unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor."

but what good is having "unalienable rights" if you aren't responsible?

What good is having a second amendment right to bear arms if you can never pass a basic background check or if you are deemed unfit to own a gun by the government due to having criminal records or being on drugs?

Rights have to be earned and maintained. If you commit a horrible crime and are sentenced to death, it means you have lost your "right to life".

Rights are for the responsible.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Christen
What good is having a second amendment right to bear arms...
The second amendment gives the "right to bear arms" to a "well regulated militia".

It is not an individual, unalienable right.

Conditional rights are the hallmark of fascism.
Christen
Christen
-->
@3RU7AL
So I guess there aren't any unalienable rights then? Or there are unalienable rights, but only to specific people?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Christen
So I guess there aren't any unalienable rights then? Or there are unalienable rights, but only to specific people?
"Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is a well-known phrase in the United States Declaration of Independence.[1] The phrase gives three examples of the "unalienable rights" which the Declaration says have been given to -all humans- by their creator, and which governments are created to protect. [LINK]
Christen
Christen
-->
@3RU7AL
Okay so what happens when someone commits a heinous crime? Don't they then lose that so-called "unalienable" right to "Liberty" and have to go to prison?

What if you have the right to "Life" but you break into somebody's home and threaten them. Aren't they legally allowed to kill you in self-defense, making you lose your right to life because you were irresponsible and tried to put another life at risk?

Does "-all humans-" include those who are irresponsible and those who abuse their rights?