Is Christian nationalism un-American?

Author: SkepticalOne

Total: 388
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Please explain if you believe A and B are in conflict.

(A) Do not oppress a foreigner; you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners, because you were foreigners in Egypt.

(B) You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

do you not understand?

Do you think it's relative?

These are probably what they had in mind when telling an Israelite he could, if he chose to, keep the FOREIGN servants for a lifetime. So normally where a foreign servant might decide to purchase their freedom if able, they may instead decide to stay with their master for life.

WHO CARES?  IF YOUR PERMANENT SLAVE DOESN'T WANT TO ESCAPE, THAT DOESN'T MAKE SLAVERY MORAL!!!!!!

Leviticus 25:46  You can bequeath them FOREIGN SLAVES to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

It doesn't mention the sentiment of the servant (whether or not he's okay with it). but........
BECAUSE IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE.

Exodus 21:5 New International Version "But if the ISRAELITE BOND-servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,'

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH PURCHASING AND OWNING PERMANENT FOREIGN SLAVES.

it also doesn't mention whether or not it's okay with the master. But there doesn't seem to be much arguing here.

How is this "very important"?  What difference does it make if chattel-slavery was OPTIONAL or MANDATORY?
I wouldn't mind answering the question except that it's not chattel slavery (Or, I don't see it that way). Therefore, how can I possibly answer that question?
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF PURCHASING AND OWNING PERMANENT FOREIGN SLAVES WAS OPTIONAL OR MANDATORY?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE IF PURCHASING AND OWNING PERMANENT FOREIGN SLAVES WAS OPTIONAL OR MANDATORY?
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@keithprosser
That is been my understanding as well, Keith. It has never been my contention that the Israelites were morally reprehensible in comparison to their neighbors or for the time in which they lived, but that they were, in every way that matters, very similar regardless of which deity they believed. 

Knowing this, how absurd would it be if modern folks were saying the basis of morality was a god of the Hittites, the Canaanite pantheon, or the golden calf rather than one of Israel?

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RoderickSpode
I'm quite happy to let the words of the Bible speak for themselves. Let every Christian read what should be the single most important collection of literature to them. It doesn't take a Biblical scholar, historian, or language expert to comprehend chattel slavery is condoned in the Bible.
Well, people become believers just by the reading the Bible. So I don't think this to be a wise recommendation in terms of your purpose. What I think you're really suggesting is to read the Bible, but don't study it.

Just because you ignore the verses that contradict the idea of permissive chattel slavery, doesn't mean others will. When asking people to read the Bible, it's not a good idea to assume they will see as you see.

I absolutely want believers to read the Bible (all of the Bible) and not just verses ripped out of context by ignorant or dishonest defenders. So again, I encourage every believer to read their holy book. I do not mean read it as a devotional, but make a concerted effort to understand what thoughts inspired the words and how they fit together as-is.

An example of a verse ripped out of context would be Exodus 23:9 as a refutation to the allowance of chattel slavery in Levitucus 25:44-46. Exodus 23:9 says "do not oppress a foreigner...", but a full reading of Exodus 23 reveals this was a direction for judges in legal proceedings regarding foreigners. "Do not favor Israelites in matters of law - be impartial" is another way of saying this. This verse has absolutely nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with legal protocols. The contradiction between these verses is made up. They compliment each other.

Even in you're own (dubious) scenario, where most foreigners purchased as slaves are eventually set free, some become permanent slaves (and all are presumably property for a time). How does your understanding of "Do not oppress foreigners" square with that? After all, the verse doesn't say 'do not oppress *most* foreigners! 

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
I absolutely want believers to read the Bible (all of the Bible) and not just verses ripped out of context by ignorant or dishonest defenders. So again, I encourage every believer to read their holy book. I do not mean read it as a devotional, but make a concerted effort to understand what thoughts inspired the words and how they fit together as-is.
...this is not meant to suggest everything in the Bible  is complementary. Some things won't fit together given the sheer number of authors and the huge span of time between them.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@SkepticalOne
Even in you're own (dubious) scenario, where most foreigners purchased as slaves are eventually set free, some become permanent slaves (and all are presumably property for a time). How does your understanding of "Do not oppress foreigners" square with that? After all, the verse doesn't say 'do not oppress *most* foreigners! 
Well stated.
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@SkepticalOne
I find little reason to object to an agreement made between consenting adults
Okay. I'll try to remember that the part about Hebrew slavery S1 is okay with.

Best I can tell, you're making a bald assertion that most slave 'relationships' were temporary. I don't buy that, but it does not matter.

By arguing most slaves (at best) were temporary you've allowed some permanent slavery. Not to mention, chattel slavery is not characterized by the length of time served, but by humans being owned (which is exactly what Levitical law allows). Is owning humans for any length of time moral, Rod?
We don't even know if any foreign purchases even happened. And if it did, it probably would have been very rare. If the permanent slavery was by agreement, like as with the Hebrew servant who loved his master, what would be your problem?

Kidnapping a foreigner is punishable by death. Why do you think there was such an extreme penalty for kidnapping/forced slavery, but it would have been okay to force a foreigner to remain against his will, and be able to practice general abuse?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@SkepticalOne
..and the explicit wording of the Bible.
Kill your engine is pretty explicit. But it certainly doesn't mean to open your hood and take a sledge hammer to it. it simply means, turn the key in  your ignition to the left.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser
The Hebrews certainly operated a 'two-tier' system for Hebrew and non-Hebrews.  Hebrew 'slaves' were certainly better off than foriegn 'slaves' and I'd say its fair to say hebrews slaves were held under conditions resembing 'indetured servitude' but foreigners were essentially chattel.

My impression is that the Hebrews attude to slavery was entirely typical of the time and place.

It was. That's why they had those repetitive laws, and constantly reminded about their time spent in Egyptian bondage.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@keithprosser
The Hebrews certainly operated a 'two-tier' system for Hebrew and non-Hebrews.  Hebrew 'slaves' were certainly better off than foriegn 'slaves' and I'd say its fair to say hebrews slaves were held under conditions resembing 'indetured servitude' but foreigners were essentially chattel.

My impression is that the Hebrews attude to slavery was entirely typical of the time and place.
Where does your impression come from?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
...but it would have been okay to force a foreigner to remain against his will, and be able to practice general abuse?
Even if the purchased foreign permanent slaves never tried to escape and were never "abused" (other than what was considered acceptable slave labor at the time), this does not magically make this type of (chattel, property) slavery moral.

Slaves tend to be abused, but removing the abuse doesn't solve the "problem of slavery".
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Please explain if you believe A and B are in conflict.

(A) Do not oppress a foreigner; you yourselves know how it feels to be foreigners, because you were foreigners in Egypt.

(B) You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

do you not understand?

Do you think it's relative?

These are probably what they had in mind when telling an Israelite he could, if he chose to, keep the FOREIGN servants for a lifetime. So normally where a foreign servant might decide to purchase their freedom if able, they may instead decide to stay with their master for life.

WHO CARES?  IF YOUR PERMANENT SLAVE DOESN'T WANT TO ESCAPE, THAT DOESN'T MAKE SLAVERY MORAL!!!!!!

Leviticus 25:46  You can bequeath them FOREIGN SLAVES to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life,

but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

It doesn't mention the sentiment of the servant (whether or not he's okay with it). but........

Exodus 21:5 New International Version "But if the ISRAELITE BOND-servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,'

THIS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH PURCHASING AND OWNING PERMANENT FOREIGN SLAVES.

it also doesn't mention whether or not it's okay with the master. But there doesn't seem to be much arguing here.

How is this "very important"?  What difference does it make if chattel-slavery was OPTIONAL or MANDATORY?
I wouldn't mind answering the question except that it's not chattel slavery (Or, I don't see it that way). Therefore, how can I possibly answer that question?
The question is whether or not a foreign slave could leave his Hebrew master. if he was able to leave, then the situation is not chattel slavery. That's the accusation. So, if you wish to prove that a foreign purchased slave did not have free will to leave, go ahead.

Keep in mind, purchasing a slave was a risky venture, because a slave could run away. And what protection did the purchaser have? Probably none.

More than likely, if this even happened, the purchaser would have been quite wealthy, would have provided appropriate accommodations. So more than likely a foreign purchased slave would not have sought release (where would he go?).
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Even if the purchased foreign permanent slaves never tried to escape and were never "abused" (other than what was considered acceptable slave labor at the time), this does not magically make this type of (chattel, property) slavery moral.

Slaves tend to be abused, but removing the abuse doesn't solve the "problem of slavery"
I'm guessing you're still focused on the idea that a foreign slave couldn't leave their master.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
More than likely, if this even happened, the purchaser would have been quite wealthy, would have provided appropriate accommodations. So more than likely a foreign purchased slave would not have sought release (where would he go?).
Technically, most children remain with their parents of their own free will.

This fact alone does not prove that child abuse never happens.

Technically, most spouses remain with their partners of their own free will.

This fact alone does not prove that spousal abuse never happens.

Is your argument, IN DEFENSE OF CHATTEL-SLAVERY, really and truly, "the slave masters were really really nice"?

Being a nice slave-owner DOES NOT SOLVE THE MORAL PROBLEMS OF SLAVERY.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Slaves tend to be abused, but removing the abuse doesn't solve the "problem of slavery".
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@SkepticalOne
I absolutely want believers to read the Bible (all of the Bible)

Me too.

and not just verses ripped out of context by ignorant or dishonest defenders. 

Ah...there always seems to be a catch. I guess you're aware of the usefulness of commentaries. What would you suggest? evilbible.com?

So again, I encourage every believer to read their holy book. I do not mean read it as a devotional, but make a concerted effort to understand what thoughts inspired the words and how they fit together as-is.
Absolutely!

An example of a verse ripped out of context would be Exodus 23:9 as a refutation to the allowance of chattel slavery in Levitucus 25:44-46. Exodus 23:9 says "do not oppress a foreigner...", but a full reading of Exodus 23 reveals this was a direction for judges in legal proceedings regarding foreigners. "Do not favor Israelites in matters of law - be impartial" is another way of saying this. This verse has absolutely nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with legal protocols. The contradiction between these verses is made up. They compliment each other.
Oh really? There's no complimenting here. All you're doing is suggesting the Israelites were less than honest. They say one thing, and do another. Or they practice humanitarianism against all foreigners, except those who were purchased in the foreign slave market. They can't kidnap them, but as long as they purchased them, abuse is okay?

I'm guessing you're referring to the Barnes commentary.

Four precepts evidently addressed to those in authority as judges:
(a) To do justice to the poor. Comparing Exodus 23:6 with Exodus 23:3, it was the part of the judge to defend the poor against the oppression of the rich, and the part of the witness to take care lest his feelings of natural pity should tempt him to falsify evidence.
(b) To be cautious of inflicting capital punishment on one whose guilt was not clearly proved. A doubtful case was rather to be left to God Himself, who would "not justify the wicked," nor suffer him to go unpunished though he might be acquitted by an earthly tribunal. Exodus 23:7.
(c) To take no bribe or present which might in any way pervert judgment Exodus 23:8; compare Numbers 16:15; 1 Samuel 12:3; Acts 26:26.
(d) To vindicate the rights of the stranger Exodus 23:9 - rather, the foreigner. (Exodus 20:10 note.) This verse is a repetition of Exodus 22:21, but the precept is there addressed to the people at large, while it is here addressed to the judges in reference to their official duties. The caution was perpetually necessary. Compare Ezekiel 22:7; Malachi 3:5. The word rendered "heart" is more strictly "soul," and would be better represented here by feelings.

Even if the verse focused solely on judges, what makes you think a foreign servant wouldn't be involved with judges in a court case? And the command being to judges in treating foreign servants?

Well, Ellicott says

(9) Thou shalt not oppress a stranger.—See Note on Exodus 22:21. The repetition of the law indicates the strong inclination of the Hebrew people to ill-use strangers, and the anxiety of the legislator to check their inclination.

Pulpit commentary:

Verse 9. - Thou shalt not oppress a stranger. This is a repetition of Exodus 22:21, with perhaps a special reference to oppression through courts of justice. For thou knowest the heart of a stranger. Literally, "the mind of a stranger," or, in other words, his thoughts and feelings. Thou shouldest therefore be able to sympathise with him. CEREMONIAL LAWS (vers. 10-19).

Even Barnes' commentary included this statement:

This verse is a repetition of Exodus 22:21, but the precept is there addressed to the people at large

Forced servitude is oppression.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Technically, most children remain with their parents of their own free will.

This fact alone does not prove that child abuse never happens.

Technically, most spouses remain with their partners of their own free will.

This fact alone does not prove that spousal abuse never happens.

Is your argument, IN DEFENSE OF CHATTEL-SLAVERY, really and truly, "the slave masters were really really nice"?

Being a nice slave-owner DOES NOT SOLVE THE MORAL PROBLEMS OF SLAVERY
Are you still insisting that a foreign servant could not leave his Hebrew master?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Slaves tend to be abused, but removing the abuse doesn't solve the "problem of slavery"
Is it immoral to purchase a slave with the intention of providing shelter, work/service, potentially becoming a family member, possibly becoming a family member, and eventually gaining the ability to provide for themselves? Is it better to leave them in the hands of oppressive slave owners?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Are you still insisting that a foreign servant could not leave his Hebrew master?
I never suggested such a thing.

Are you still insisting that an escaped foreign slave would would be treated to free meals and a life of leisure by the ancient Hebrews?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Slaves tend to be abused, but removing the abuse doesn't solve the "problem of slavery"
Is it immoral to purchase a slave with the intention of providing shelter, work/service, potentially becoming a family member, possibly becoming a family member, and eventually gaining the ability to provide for themselves? Is it better to leave them in the hands of [possibly very kind and or] oppressive slave owners?
Is it immoral to purchase a slave?  I guess not, IF YOU FREE THEM IMMEDIATELY.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@TheRealNihilist
In the current day are you the property of the state?
I'm not sure what you mean.

How did you get I am for prisons therefore I am for human property? Explain to me how those are the same.

I didn't say you were for human property. I asked you if you agree that prisoners are human property?

Can you not defend Religion because it is indefensible or some other reason?
I'm guessing you're asking if I can defend Christianity. I don't think you're asking me if I can defend Hinduism, Buddhism, Mohammadism, Scientology, etc.

I honestly don't understand the question. I certainly don't feel any need to defend Christianity or the Bible. Why do you think I even need to?
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
s it immoral to purchase a slave?  I guess not, IF YOU FREE THEM IMMEDIATELY.
That may actually have been abuse. I think if, on the rare occasion (or if it actually even happened) that a slave was purchased from the foreign market, the Hebrew had a quite a responsibility, and obligation to provide sufficiently for the foreigner.

The idea, in every Hebrew law concerning foreigners, was to treat them respectfully in every situation. The intent from God's perspective was to bless the foreigner. Any forced servitude contradicts that mandate.

RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@SkepticalOne
this is not meant to suggest everything in the Bible  is complementary. Some things won't fit together given the sheer number of authors and the huge span of time between them.
Can you provide an example of a verse completely void of cross-references, and doesn't fit with the rest of the Bible?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Can you provide an example of a verse completely void of cross-references, and doesn't fit with the rest of the Bible?
Here's an entire list, [LINK]
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Here's an entire list, [LINK]
I don't think alleged contradictions is the issue. It's definitely not what I was asking for.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Is it immoral to purchase a slave?  I guess not, IF YOU FREE THEM IMMEDIATELY.
That may actually have been abuse.
100% false.  You can hire them as a NORMAL WORKER and PAY THEM.

OR, invite them to be your honored guest.  FREEING SLAVES IS NOT ABUSE.

I think if, on the rare occasion (or if it actually even happened) that a slave was purchased from the foreign market, the Hebrew had a quite a responsibility, and obligation to provide sufficiently for the foreigner.
Oh, buying slaves was PURE CHARITY.  Why would anyone even think they might want CHEAP LABOR?

The idea, in every Hebrew law concerning foreigners, was to treat them respectfully in every situation.
Are you kidding me, the BEST they offer is "treat them as the native born" which was itself APPALLING.

If you were caught picking up sticks on the Sabbath, you would be stoned to death.

The intent from God's perspective was to bless the foreigner. Any forced servitude contradicts that mandate.
You just made that up on the spot.  Citation please.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@RoderickSpode
Here's an entire list, [LINK]
I don't think alleged contradictions is the issue. It's definitely not what I was asking for.
You asked specifically for,

And I provided a detailed list of verses completely void of cross-references that don't fit with the rest of the Bible.
RoderickSpode
RoderickSpode
-->
@3RU7AL
Here's an entire list, [LINK]
You asked specifically for,

And I provided a detailed list of verses completely void of cross-references that don't fit with the rest of the Bible.
Fair enough. When I get the chance to watch a 10 minute video, I'll check this out. i doubt they will say anything different than the usual. But.....we'll see.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RoderickSpode
I find little reason to object to an agreement made between consenting adults.
Okay. I'll try to remember that the part about Hebrew slavery S1 is okay with.

Haha! Only now, after I've made clear my acceptance of a consensual relationship between Israelites do you stray away from this being a "servanthood" and prefer to call it slavery?! Pick your terms and be consistent, Rod. I'm not playing word games.

That being said, after I wrote this I realized that this type of arrangement would not always be consensual. For instance, a father might sell his daughter into slavery without consulting her, or a young man might serve for a term with the payment being his master's daughter. These situations are not consensual or acceptable.

Best I can tell, you're making a bald assertion that most slave 'relationships' were temporary. I don't buy that, but it does not matter. 

By arguing most slaves (at best) were temporary you've allowed some permanent slavery. Not to mention, chattel slavery is not characterized by the length of time served, but by humans being owned (which is exactly what Levitical law allows). Is owning humans for any length of time moral, Rod?
We don't even know if any foreign purchases even happened. And if it did, it probably would have been very rare. If the permanent slavery was by agreement, like as with the Hebrew servant who loved his master, what would be your problem?

There is nothing that says permanent slavery of foreigners was by agreement. "Rare" means it still happens. Is "rarely" owning humans moral, Rod? I've never owned a human...not even rarely!

Kidnapping a foreigner is punishable by death. Why do you think there was such an extreme penalty for kidnapping/forced slavery, but it would have been okay to force a foreigner to remain against his will, and be able to practice general abuse?

Kidnapping and forced slavery are not one in the same. There were laws against kidnapping. However, there were no laws against buying kidnapped people and/or forced slavery. One problem with your question is that it assumes facts that don't exist. The other is that it ignores what the Levitical law actually does allow. 

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@RoderickSpode
..and the explicit wording of the Bible.
Kill your engine is pretty explicit. But it certainly doesn't mean to open your hood and take a sledge hammer to it. it simply means, turn the key in  your ignition to the left.
"You may buy you slave from the heathen nations which surround you. You may bequeath them to you family and they can be permanent slaves." [Paraphrased]

Lev 25:44-46 is part of Mosaic law. Are you really trying to suggest law was not to be taken literally?