Propositions for automatically finished debates

Author: DebateArt.com ,

Total: 26
Ragnar
Debates: 36
Ragnar
--> @DebateArt.com @Ramshutu
Ram' has a got a really good point. Especially since they can always ask for a rematch, and we expanded beyond the previous three day round limit...

The one caveat on it is that first round should conclude before any instant end scripts trigger. Since the instigator forfeiting is not a guarantee against the other doing likewise.

If going this route, I'd have the forfeit script's text generator post different text in the first round (normally it just posts "Forfeited" but in the first round it posts "Forfeited. Due to early forfeiture, this debate will automatically end with conclusion of round.")

Combined with the previously mentioned mechanism for automatic score adjustments when any forfeitures occur, debates would have a small script execute at the conclusion of R1, something like this: IF(ABS(SUM(score1,score2))>0, trigger early termination function (which pulls a sequence of functions to properly shut down the debate without DDO type errors), ELSE (else being just continue normally if the IF is false). This way mutual R1 forfeits end in a draw (the debaters could of course request it be deleted from the system, but I wouldn't risk automating that).

I don't think there would be any protest to also triggering early termination should forfeitures reach 50% of the round count, but for simplicity I would go with the previously suggested rule of 2 (with the exception of 5 round debates it's assured to already meet that threshold, for them it's already 40%, and there is value in decreasing wasted time).