different golden rule standards

Author: linate

Total: 7
linate
Debates: 0
linate

are there different standards of the golden rule? or different standards for how to treat others, according to Jesus?

Matthew 7
"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Matthew 22 
"And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

when i think of treating others as myself, i think of what is mine is theirs such as they can have everything i have. when i think of treating others as you'd have them do unto you, i think of 'well i don't expect people to give me everything of theirs so it shouldn't be expected for me to give everything'. 

these seem like different standards.

of course, it's possible to read one as if it's the other, but which interpretation is best? i do know Jesus said to give away all that you own if you want to be perfect. i dont know if he was talking to just that person's calling in life, or if it's a standard for everyone, but it's usually treated like a standard for everyone. so maybe 'love as oneself' is best? people tend to not take the 'give it all away' thing too seriously, and even if it's serious, it's temperered with the practical concern of being able to support oneself. 

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@linate
i do know Jesus said to give away all that you own if you want to be perfect. i dont know if he was talking to just that person's calling in life, or if it's a standard for everyone
Notice two things about that passage, first he was talking specifically to one person who asked a question, after Jesus answered the man became sad and went his way. So this is what I believe, that Jesus perceived that particular mans weakness, and that's why he went away sad because perhaps that particular man idolized riches. Another thing to note is that Jesus is a principle oriented teacher, and his examples and illustrations are for the purpose of prioritizing and while one person may not have a particular weakness for wealth, they may have a weakness in another area......so it's applied on an individual basis depending on what our needs are, what we prioritize, what we put first ect ect. 
So while the basic principle of it is universal it doesn't really mean we ALL have to sell everything we have to be perfect, rather what is our priorities in life? I believe perhaps Jesus saw what the mans priorities were and then challenged him on it. 

linate
linate
-->
@EtrnlVw
do you view the two matthew verses as being different? or how do you reconcile them?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@linate
of course, it's possible to read one as if it's the other,
I would tend to go with that really, I mean why can't they both be applied?  in essence if I love my neighbor as myself it would be akin to doing unto others what I would have them do to me. Love seems to keep a perfect balance and is in not contrary to any laws, because in love we can never break any law. 

i don't expect people to give me everything of theirs so it shouldn't be expected for me to give everything
I don't think you have to give everything of yours to someone else to abide in love, that seems a bit of a non sequitur. So I think we're safe to say they are compatible.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
If you interpret loving your neighbor as yourself, how does it follow that you give them everything? You don't even love yourself enough to have your stuff, so how does it follow that you give it all to them?

How would you like it if someone gave you all their stuff? What if you don't have enough room?

Maybe instead of giving all your stuff to someone who might not even want all your stuff, you should be willing to share?

Really though, your happiness and wealth shouldn't be in material things store for yourself treasure in heaven. Give people charity, and Truth with mercy.

1916 days later

n8nrgim
n8nrgim
-->
@Best.Korea
if you wanna split hairs... the bible has different standards for the same rule. what do ya think? 
Best.Korea
Debates: 251
Best.Korea
-->
@n8nrgim
Well...

What you wish for others, also wish for yourself?

What you wish for yourself, also wish for others?

Love others as yourself?