Love thy neighbour but be likeable yourself.

Author: Harikrish

Total: 62
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Yeah, polemics doesn't tend to make you likable. 
Harikrish
Debates: 0
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Yeah, polemics doesn't tend to make you likable.
That is why I advise Love thy neighbour but be likeable yourself. All the other commandments in the Bible don't get you there.

Harikrish bible scholar and spiritual leader.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Being likable is neither a goal of our faith, neither is it guaranteed. 

But prejudice is never righteous judgement. There are plenty of likable Christians. Maybe what makes them unlikable to you is that you fancy yourself some kind of spiritual leader, and Christians don't tend to respect that. 

But I againn would like to point out, engaging in polemics rarely makes you a likable person.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Being likable is neither a goal of our faith, neither is it guaranteed.
But prejudice is never righteous judgement. There are plenty of likable Christians. Maybe what makes them unlikable to you is that you fancy yourself some kind of spiritual leader, and Christians don't tend to respect that
But I againn would like to point out, engaging in polemics rarely makes you a likable person.
If the Jews were more likeable they would not have experienced 3000 years of antisemitism. If Jesus was more likeable he would not have  been despised or crucified.
if Christians were more likeable they would not be treated as infidels by Muslims. 

That is why  I advise Love thy neighbour but be likeable yourself. All the other commandments in the bible don't get you there. 

Harikrish biblical  scholar and spiritual leader.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Well, that is your opinion, but it isn't our faith.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac

Well, that is your opinion, but it isn't our faith.
That is not just an opinion. That advice by Harikrish to be likeable could have stopped so much suffering is not found in the Bible.  That is why the bible didn't work for  the Jews. 

Jesus never taught Christians to be likeable either.
Instead Jesus taught his followers (Christians) to 
1.  Matthew 10:35 For I have come to turn 'A man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. - Bible Hub

2. To hate ones life.
John 12:25 KJV: He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
It certainly is your opinion, and it is not our faith. 

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
It certainly is your opinion, and it is not our faith
For sure it is not in your faith because the bible does not teach you to be likeable. Nowhere in the bible does it teach one to be likeable.
That is what Harikrish teaches as the great omission and failure of the bible. It does not teach anyone to be likeable.

Love  thy neighbour but be likeable yourself.

Harikrish biblical scholar and spiritual leader.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
"Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

Sounds pretty likable to me.

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

Sounds pretty likable to me.

Here again the instructions is to do something to the other person is similar to love thy neighbour.
But it does not tell the person to be likeable.
It says to live peacefully, feed the hungry, give him water, its say everything but be likeable youself.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
"light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God."

The Romans put Jesus lights out when they crucified him. They also stripped him bare. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
As I have said before, polemicists are rarely likeable fellows.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
As I have said before, polemicists are rarely likeable fellows.

So my advice to everyone to be likeable is profoundly practical. The omission of Harikrish's golden rule in the bible does raise questions about other possible shortsightedness in the bible.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
I don't really respect your opinions about the bible or Christianity. The fact that, being uneducated,  you take yourself as an educator makes you somewhat unlikable.

"the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm."

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
I don't really respect your opinions about the bible or Christianity. The fact that, being uneducated,  you take yourself as an educator makes you somewhat unlikable.

"the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:
From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;
Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm."

I hold a scholarly view having been trained in Esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundaméntalism. With some 30,000 Christian denominations the majority of Christisns are sctipturally illiterate. Can you name a few modern biblical scholars you have studied?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
My Presbyter is a biblical scholar. He actually wrote the commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews in The Orthodox Study Bible(A bible with commentary that works as a good way to introduce protestants to Orthodoxy)

But as I said, your education is outside The Apostolic Church. That makes it rather worthless. 
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
My Presbyter is a biblical scholar. He actually wrote the commentary on the Epistle to the Hebrews in The Orthodox Study Bible(A bible with commentary that works as a good way to introduce protestants to Orthodoxy)

But as I said, your education is outside The Apostolic Church. That makes it rather worthless.

So you cannot name a single modern biblical scholar that you have read. Proves your mind is closed just like Catholics who are told not to even read the bible on their own for fear they would develop a wrong understanding of scriptures. But that they should follow scripted teachings dictated by their Catholic Doctrine. 

Do do you accept Jesus was a mad man and demon possessed?

Mark 3:21 When His family heard about this, they went out to take custody of Him, saying, "He is out of His mind." 

John 10:20 Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and insane. Why would you listen to Him?" 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
As I said, I don't really respect your opinions concerning the faith. Besides being uneducated, you are not approaching the matter with a pure heart.

You have no hope coming to understand the faith this way. You also have no hope of persuading me this way. 
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac

So you cannot name a single modern biblical scholar that you have read. Proves your mind is closed just like Catholics who are told not to even read the bible on their own for fear they would develop a wrong understanding of scriptures. But that they should follow scripted teachings dictated by their Catholic Doctrine.

Mark 3:21 When His family heard about this, they went out to take custody of Him, saying, "He is out of His mind."

John 10:20 Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and insane. Why would you listen to Him?"

Harikrish biblical scholar and spiritual leader

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
You say I can not.

And I won't,  not because I can't,  but because you have no argument.

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
You say I can not.

and I won't, not because I can't, but because you have no argument.

The argument is I  am a biblical scholar and you are not. You cannot even name a modern biblical scholar you have read. So your understanding is based on archaic ignorance.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
You are deserving of mockery.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
You are deserving of mockery.

Do you accept Jesus was a mad man and demon possessed? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Just so you are aware, it is really easy to do what you are doing. If someone wanted to take, say, your scriptures and interpret them out of context in order to paint a picture that isn't true, they could.

We The Orthodox Church consider ourselves the true successors of Israel. The Church is Israel. You mock these many denominations, but we do not believe in denominations. You are either with The Apostolic Orthodox and Catholic Church or you are heterodox. 

The Church since the very beginning has put a great deal more emphasis on the typological interpretation of scripture. One thing that would be beneficial for you to understand is that while we certainly venerate scripture and consider it among the highest authorities in The Church, scripture is only rightly interpreted through The Church. You don't know what we use scripture for. Your interpretations simply can't be valid, because you do not have The Holy Spirit as your helper. You do not have the grace of The Church. 

You can take offense, but this is what we believe. I certainly know better what I have faith in than someone who has never shared my faith.

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Just so you are aware, it is really easy to do what you are doing. If someone wanted to take, say, your scriptures and interpret them out of context in order to paint a picture that isn't true, they could.

We The Orthodox Church consider ourselves the true successors of Israel. The Church is Israel. You mock these many denominations, but we do not believe in denominations. You are either with The Apostolic Orthodox and Catholic Church or you are heterodox.

The Church since the very beginning has put a great deal more emphasis on the typological interpretation of scripture. One thing that would be beneficial for you to understand is that while we certainly venerate scripture and consider it among the highest authorities in The Church, scripture is only rightly interpreted through The Church. You don't know what we use scripture for. Your interpretations simply can't be valid, because you do not have The Holy Spirit as your helper. You do not have the grace of The Church.

You can take offense, but this is what we believe. I certainly know better what I have faith in than someone who has never shared my faith.

What I quoted from scriptures don't need any interpretation or special gifts from the holy spirt to understand.

it simply says those who knew and lived during Jesus's time including his family declared jesus was a demon possessed madman.

It it was confirmed on the cross jesus was indeed mad to blame God for  his failures.

Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?" 

What is further proof of insanity is Christians believe this illegitimate jewish bastard demon possessed madman died for their sins 2000 years ago.

Hitler put this belief to the test by exterminating 6 million Jews. He never found a single claim of redemption or resurrection among the Gentile Christians. who believe only dead Jews can forgive sins as taught be Jesus.

So Jesus was not  only a lunatic, he was a liar too.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
If it was the case that scriptures are not interpreted, there wouldn't be thousands of heresies as you admit that all claim scripture and run away with a foreign gospel.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
if it was the case that scriptures are not interpreted, there wouldn't be thousands of heresies as you admit that all claim scriptures and run away with a foreign gospel.

What I quoted from scriptures don't need any interpretation or special gifts from the holy spirt to understand.

it simply says those who knew and lived during Jesus's time including his family declared jesus was a demon possessed madman.

It it was confirmed on the cross jesus was indeed mad to blame God for  his failures.

Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour, Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" which means, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?"

What is further proof of insanity is Christians believe this illegitimate jewish bastard demon possessed madman died for their sins 2000 years ago.

Hitler put this belief to the test by exterminating 6 million Jews. He never found a single claim of redemption or resurrection among the Gentile Christians. who believe only dead Jews can forgive sins as taught be Jesus.

So Jesus was not  only a lunatic, he was a liar too.

Jesus was incoherent and spoke in parables which the disciples did not understand. That caused confusion. But what was said about Jesus was direct and simple. He was a demon possessed madman.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Nonsense

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Nonsense
How did the Orthodox Church miss scriptures that declared Jesus a demon possessed madman?

You are 2000 years removed from the Jesus that the Bible speaks about. The Gospel are eyewitness accounts by those who were there and followed every word and deed of Jesus.

It simply says those who knew and lived during Jesus's time including his family declared jesus was a demon possessed madman.

It was confirmed on the cross jesus was indeed mad to blame God for  his failures.

So Jesus was not  only a lunatic, he was a liar too.

Jesus was incoherent and spoke in parables which the disciples did not understand. That caused confusion. But what was said about Jesus was direct and simple. He was a demon possessed madman.