How you got here

Author: janesix

Total: 50
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Again you seem to be focusing on a very limited number of specimens. I do not disagree with you: the specific lion does not think about his species survival. HIS DNA is what makes him do that, it's the unidentified instinct you are detecting. There isn't anything supernatural there. It's about his genes, which are bigger, stronger, more aggressive in attributes, being in general more favorable to his species. None of them are conscious decisions. My point is neither are humans if you start to scale back the modernity of our current life, our ability to control our surroundings. If you rewind to caveman times, plenty of women, I'm sure, had plenty of babies they didn't necessarily want, through sexual encounters that they were not entirely enthusiastic about. Those drives are genetic. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
How would we know if a hyena died for another hyena? They don't have media or storytelling apparatus. His point about dolphins is that similar behavior is in fact observed in the wild. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@ludofl3x
How would we know if a hyena died for another hyena? They don't have media or storytelling apparatus. His point about dolphins is that similar behavior is in fact observed in the wild. 
many animals have been observed in the wild for many years, it's been observed animals will save their own lives and or avoid injury even when their offspring are in peril, heck some eat their own young.

do dolphins protect other species or are they just attacking a known predator/enemy?  If you can show me that they don't attack sharks for example, if no other creature is around then perhaps that's plausible but it can't be shown that they wouldn't have attacked anyway in the absence of creatures they are supposedly protecting.

My point is neither are humans if you start to scale back the modernity of our current life, our ability to control our surroundings.
here's the problem I see, there seems to be a conflation of the individual with the group.  Humans seem to do things for the greater good, society, human kind, I have seen no evidence or plausible explanation that animals also exhibit this behavior.  Actually on the contrary in that animals are individual self serving creatures which survive and thrive, but kept in balance by a variety of factors.  This can not be said of humans generally.

I would accept that at some point caveman or whatever was like any other animal with a drive to pass on their personal genetics.  But when and why did that change because it seems what we know, observe and what we are now is much different than that for the reasons stated.  Yes there is a drive or desire to procreate but it's much more than that, and I have yet to see it observed or proven that it's similar in any other creature.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Well, my mom and dad went boom
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Dolphins are known to protect not just strangers, but strangers of other species....
people die for other people, even strangers, what other animals do that?

Well, I would argue protecting seals or humans from shark attack can be hazardous to your health, but let's say no dolphins have died while protecting strangers...does that make their motivation different than humans who lose their lives protecting strangers?

Additionally, even if we dont know another human, we still recognize them as one of our own. Perhaps a dolphin attempting to save a being unlike itself is actually more noble?

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
You mean you didn't take the bus?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@janesix
no no no, my mom and dad tought me and I have thinked on my own after being an atheist for two years and I switched back, Deus Volt!
janesix
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What does that last part mean?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@janesix
My profile picture is a christina warrior and that's what they say when they go on epic adventure to take back the holy land
janesix
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Ok thanks
janesix
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Do you feel like you are a Christian warrior?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@janesix
No, it's a fun little thing
janesix
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Ok just curious
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@SkepticalOne
naw the animal rights people like green peace have died, what I'm saying is that this motive people think the dolphins are showing, human like traits, I just don't buy it for the reasons I've said.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@janesix
Realizing that I am here presently is what made me realize i'm only a secondary source to whatever gave rise to existence in the first place. It's quite arrogant if i say i know what brought me to anything bc if i didn't exist that wouldn't matter... if you never knew me that wouldn't matter... and once i knew me i know it doesn't matter. 
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What's a Christina warrior?

Is it a big butch girl?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
Unfunyy
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
What does unfunyy mean?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
you
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
At least you know how to spell three letter words.