-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
ok 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I would be curious to see your results if you plan on taking the test. The real test takes well over an hour but the online practice ones take around 10 mins or so iirc.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I am personallyu not interested, but thx for the information
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Figures.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Interestingly, if I convert my SAT score to an IQ score (the two tests are highly correlated), I have an estimated IQ of 144.
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@bsh1
that makes sense, no one on this site seems dumb necessarily (excluding trolls). 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
In Naval nuclear power school, we all got 99 percentile on the ASVAB. The real bragging rights were how well we did on the nuclear supplementary test they gave us before boot camp.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Trent0405
that makes sense, no one on this site seems dumb necessarily (excluding trolls). 
Can you give an example of a borderline dumb thing to do?

I would very much like to know where you draw the line.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Trent0405
I've never gotten under 100. Personally, after listening to some very high IQ people and knowing some... i think having an average to above average IQ (not above) makes you a genius. Plus, IQ is geared towards certain intelligence as many here have voiced some of. It is okay... i can't think of many people that can be successful lawyers with a 70 IQ... but the lawyers i work for still believe in Noah's Ark... so... 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
ATTENTION °•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪ATTENTION°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪°•▪ATTENTION. 
Every one focus on me.  

Thank you , thank you. 

Dyslexic. 
Also I promise i can't even spell the word pearent 
Parent. 
I'm a grade 4 maybe 5 speller. 
But ummmm yeah,  on my tests that really counted i got 158 , 160 something and 176. 
I don't like averaging it out so i just go with the 176. 

What I'm trying to say is. ( I can't read, i can't write. But i can drive a tractor alright )

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
so it seems most everybody thinks they are smarter than average.  Now we must ask ourselves- is that true? How is smarter than average defined? Do we suppose our little cohort is manifestly smarter than average and is that intelligence reflected in the contributions we make to this site?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@oromagi
No dude, the free online tests are just highly inaccurate, possibly on purpose because they want you to pay up like I said.

Even if it isn't intentional... I mean for Christ's sake it asked less than 40 questions. It took less than 10 minutes to complete. That can't possibly be enough to get an accurate score.

I'm sure that people who score higher really do have higher IQs than those who score lower but I have no confidence that the numbers themselves are accurate. They are all very likely highly overstated.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
You were a nuker huh? You end up on a sub or a carrier?
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I was on cruiser before they got axed ;)
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Greyparrot
Oh, didn't realize we used to have nuclear cruisers before you said that. Google search confirmed lol. Learn something new every day I guess.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Your IQ is your intelligence quotient.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@bsh1
I estimate my I.Q. to be 700, give or take.

Though, intelligence is no substitute for common sense.
RationalMadman
Debates: 567
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Common sense is reserved for people of common intelligence, there's absolutely nothing about it that implies only the dumb should lack it. Many geniuses lacked common sense.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
You're saying the same thing he is saying but in a tone that makes it seem as if you think you are disagreeing.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
No, I'm not. I think common sense is really overrated, he thinks the complete opposite (that intelligence is).
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
This is not the first time you completely shat the bed on basic reading comprehension so honestly I shouldn't be surprised.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
If you're done with the rude tone and insulting, do you care to elaborate on where I have shat the bed in either scenario?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@RationalMadman
@zedvictor4
Though, intelligence is no substitute for common sense.

Clarify for RM and myself here please...

In the above quote are you saying that intelligence can or cannot replace common sense?

In other words would you agree or disagree with the statement "There's absolutely nothing about common sense that implies only less intelligent people should lack it."

Please keep your answer short and simple just in case someone reading your response has the reading comprehension of a third grader.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
In the context and tone of Zedvictor's overall quote, was intelligence or common sense held to be the important one with the other being arbitrary to have pride in and/or to strive for?

That would be a better question to ask and think about.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

Mr Madmans comments were in the main,  in agreement with my own comments, I think.

Though:
1. "Common sense is reserved for people of common intelligence"...… What does this mean?....What is common intelligence?

2. "There's nothing about it that implies only the dumb should lack it"....Which? Common sense or common intelligence. If R.M. means common sense,       then we are probably in agreement.

3. "Many geniuses lacked common sense"......We are in full agreement here.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
which do you think matters more, common sense or intelligence?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
Well it depends largely upon the context.

Intelligence is perhaps necessary for social progress.

Common sense is perhaps necessary for social stability.

So let me ask you. Which is the most important, social progress or social stability?

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
That is complete nonsense. Social progress should include social stability as part of it. I am less angry at you, more at this arrogant wannabe who decided to bully me and talk in such a rude tone and demeanour for no reason at all when I perfectly understood you and was trying to debate. The fact that he didn't reply to my last post despite being online since, tells me enough, shame he can't apologise.

Anyway, as for your outlook in general, I don't agree. Common sense is often what leads to wars and conflict in society, especially when miscommunication/misinterpretation is at play.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
I think that it's fair to say, that most would agree with the notion that people with common sense are less likely to start wars.

But yes. Perhaps social stability and social progress are mutually beneficial.

Therefore, that would suggest that common sense and intelligence are equally important.

So, what is my general outlook?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@zedvictor4
Wrong. It was common sense that led to voting into power every single tyrant in history (all dictators originally were 'voted in' at least the person before them etc). It took common sense to stay tame and obedient to this power. 

Only intelligent rebels ever saved such a shitshow from the bastard running it, each and every time. Mandelas are few and far between, some will label them terrorists, some will label them god tier strategists who know that to defeat monsters you must be a beast yourself. Common sense gets people nowhere when the leadership want war and/or conflict. Common sense is seeing a police officer beating up, raping, killing, framing people around you and keeping your head down to not end up under their wrath. Stupidity is to beat up or yell at the police officer. Intelligence is to tactically film, interview, expose anonymously, the officer/s online and irl with a team so that even if you die, they can't ever truly bury the evidence or conspiracy.

Intelligence then is required to use the original rebel's information in a way that gets other nations and outside help motivated and furious (or paid-off) enough to act in the favour of the oppressed and abused. If you have common sense, you become a tame little pussy-ass puppy who is just as likely to submit to a saint as to a devil.