Hurricane Dorians Pahway. to Alabama { NOT } :--(

Author: ebuc

Total: 152
Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
You do realize the only reason why the economy is booming is because of Obama right? Obama inherited the worst economy since the great depression and in his last 2 years of the presidency, the economy was booming through all of the hard work Obama put in. 

If you want to read an article that goes more in-depth than read this. However, it's very unfair to judge Trumps economy right now considering he's inheriting Obamas economy. 

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I know, and it will only be Trump's economy when things go bad. I get it.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
That's seriously all you take from this? I'm not stating that I am stating that's far too early to tell whether or not Trump's economy is successful or not. This goes for pretty much any president, you can't judge an entire presidencies economy in only 3 years. 

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I mean, it was the slowest recovery since the Great Depression. Not sure it was the worst recession since then.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
That's kind of silly to assume the president has 3 years of immunity to screw up the economy when they get into the office.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
President Trump inherited a good economy unless Trump is actively trying you can't exactly screw up an entire economy within 3 years. The problem is that you're acting as if Trump is to be thanked for this economy when in reality the only reason the economy is good at the moment is because of Obama's work during his presidency. 

Do you seriously believe that presidents can radically change the economy in just 3 years of office? 

It would be a different story if Trump inherited a dismal economy like Obama did and turned it around in 3 years. However the economy was already booming under Obama, and considering Obama inherited one of the worst economies, most of the Trump economys " success " is thanks to Obama, not Trump. 

Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@bmdrocks21
Lots of analysts believe it was as bad if not worse than the great depression. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Why don't you look up Jimmy Carter if you want to see how a president can royally fuck up an economy in his 1st 3 years.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
This analogy fails since he inherited the Nixons economy which was on the verge of inflation in the first place. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Voters didnt agree
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
Well sorry, but facts don't agree. 

From the source, 

Jimmy Carter inherited a deeply troubled economy. The "great inflation" that is associated with his presidency in fact began in the latter part of the Johnson years, and the oil crisis Carter faced was the second oil price shock of the decade. In addition, a decline in worker productivity and a rise in competition from Germany and Japan compounded the nation's economic problems.

From this source, 

Jimmy Carter was surely one of the unluckiest presidents in US history. He took office in 1977 with an economy racked by stagflation and dependent on imported oil
To summarize, Jimmy Carter while his economics failed and he was lackluster of a president, you can't attribute this failure to entirely being his fault. 

He inherited Nixons horrible and atrocious economy and much of Carter's failures are attributed to Nixon's failures as a president. 

Therefore it's rather unfair to blame Carter entirely for the economic collapse when most of it was Nixon's fault, not Carters. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Doesn't matter, voters didn't agree with your facts.

From a 1980 article:

Why did Carter lose so badly?

Above all, Reagan’s election reflects the vast dissatisfaction with Carter’s record in office. Over the past four years the economy worsened considerably, energy problems grew more critical, social contradictions intensified, and international tensions increased. These problems all indicated the continuation of U.S. monopoly capitalism’s crisis of decline. The magnitude of Carter’s defeat is one measure of how serious this crisis has become.

Significantly, voter dissatisfaction this year went beyond Carter to the Democrats generally. Traditional Democratic economic policy which has guided the country since the 1930’s and 1940’s has failed to provide economic stability or meet the needs of the people. Detente, which characterized U.S. foreign policy during the 1970’s, was an obvious failure in restraining Soviet aggression.

While the masses of people are searching for some alternatives, the ruling class has responded to the crisis by shifting towards a more conservative approach which aims to tighten the screws on working people and more vigorously defend U.S. corporate interests abroad. Both Carter and Reagan advocated more conservative policies this year, calling for cuts in government spending, more concessions to business and increased military spending.

Despite their similar policies however, Carter still had to stand on his record. The Democrats were in a state of disarray and unable to present a clear enough overall approach to the issues. While Carter definitely represented a conservative shift within the Democrats, he was still fettered by the Democrats’ liberal traditions. Carter too invoked the mantle of Democratic Party liberalism in the last weeks of the campaign in order to get out the vote from the traditional Democratic coalition of workers, minorities and urban intellectuals.

But this resulted in a confused approach, and the liberal appeals were wasted given the collapse of the Democratic coalition.
Carter also was not able to overcome his image as dull and vacillating. And his last minute attempt to use the hostage issue backfired, when hopes that the hostages would be returned before Election Day quickly came and went. This actually brought out in even sharper relief how ineffectual U.S. foreign policy had become.

Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
Voters opinions are irrelevant to the overall fact that Carter inherited a terrible economy that spanned a decade on the verge of inflation. 

I mean if you want to go off of voters opinions I mean ok Trump lost the popular vote by your logic that means Trump would make a bad president. Or 

I have already admitted that Carter still was a bad president however in your original comment you acted as if Carter was SOLELY responsible for the economic collapse during his presidency when in reality it was mostly due to the fault of his predecessor's failures. 

This still doesn't debunk anything I've stated so far and the opposite rings true since you're essentially acting as if Trump is responsible for the economic boom when he's inheriting Obamas economy. In your own analogy, you'll notice that the main reason Carter's economy was terrible was due to the previous president's failures and for the most part wasn't his fault. Carter wasn't solely responsible for his failed economy which debunks your analogy. 

Also, this is an unfair comparison since you're comparing Carter who's completely finished his entire presidency to Trump which has only been in office for a few years. Technically not even 3 at this point. 

Also, the source you're using was originally published in 1980 and is largely outdated and doesn't take into account the broader historical context that occurred after Carters presidency. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
I'd agree if he lost the electoral college since we live in a republic, not a democracy.

I used the 1980 article because it most accurately reflected the voters leaving the booths.

if anything, Trump's victory was a clear signal that the Obama recovery wasn't good or fast enough to propel Hillary to a victory. Pleas from Obama for the voter to "accept the new norm" and "it will take a magic wand to bring jobs back" fell on deaf ears.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
I tell you what, find me a person on the left that acts like a 4-year-old on TV that can bring the same levels of security, economic prosperity, and protection of our constitution and sovereignty and I'll change my vote to that 4-year old.
Wait why are you acting like our only choices are 4-year-olds here. Omg, has Trump's behavior completely wiped your brain of all memory of adult leaders and brainwashed you to think all presidential candidates will behave like bratty toddlers just as much as he does?

Now this 4-year-old Timmy Tim is for reduced defense spending and healthcare if you can get him away from his ba-ba... this 4-year-old Lil Bwyan has a potty problem but wants to repair our trade relations with China... 4-year-olds here, pick your 4-year-old presidents. Oh, it'd be nice not to have 4-year-olds in charge, but whadaya gonna do, right. Who else could there possibly be. Let's be realistic.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Lol, I'm gonna pull an "Trump inherited Obama's economy" on you. Nixon inherited the Great Society programs and Vietnam War from Johnson, so therefore it wasn't Nixon's fault that his economy was as bad as it was. :)

(Except this actually has a little merit to it)
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
Ok fine you can find an 8-year-old with the same qualities. I'm not an ageist.
Castin
Debates: 0
Castin
-->
@Greyparrot
Thank you for seeing reason. I'm sure that was hard.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
I'd agree if he lost the electoral college since we live in a republic, not a democracy.

The United States has and always will be a representative democracy in which we elect officials who create laws rather than voting on laws correctly. 

The popular vote is more of a measure of a nation's opinion than the electoral college which actively silences a good majority of votes. 

If you want an example of this, voting in Texas and California is almost pointless as both states are strongholds for republicans and democrats. If you're a republican in California there's no point to vote as the state will be blue no matter what happens 99 % of the time and vice versa for texas. 

The electoral college also puts way too much emphasis and power in the swing states and not in the rest of the states as demonstrated by this graph which illustrates that the majority of presidential candidates concentrate all of their focus on swing states while ignoring the rest of the country. 

Due to this, the electoral college isn't telling of the majority of the countries opinion of a president. Also taking into account Trumps approval rating as of 2019 only being 41 %, this paints a clear picture that Trump isn't looked favorably by the majority of voters. 

I used the 1980 article because it most accurately reflected the voters leaving the booths.
But once again you're still ignoring the underlying fact that the reason why Carter's presidency for the most part failed was due to him inheriting a terrible economy left to him by Ford and especially Nixon. Therefore you can't use this analogy as it doesn't fit in line with your overall point of economies literally collapsing in 3 years when the economy was already collapsing in the first place. 

if anything, Trump's victory was a clear signal that the Obama recovery wasn't good or fast enough to propel Hillary to a victory. 
Considering that Clinton won the popular vote and support from the majority of the country, voters agreed that Obama did a fine job as president. 

Considering that Obama inherited the worst economy since the Great depression and managed to turn it around in the last 2 years of his presidency, I'd say Obama was successful considering the GDP growth at the start of his presidency was at -2.5 and ended at + 4.2, and the only reason Trump won was because of the broken system known as the electoral college. 

Trump very plainly doesn't appeal to the majority of voters as demonstrated by his approval rating and him losing the popular vote. So to call the majority of voters " not buying Obamas liberal propaganda " is a gross understatement as demonstrated by the data which proves the opposite. 

Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@bmdrocks21
Firstly notice how I NEVER stated that Carter had no part in the economic collapse. 

What Parrot was stating was that Carter was solely responsible for an economic collapse in just 3 years when in reality the economy was essentially already in an economic collapse. 

Secondly, it actually is Nixon's fault the economy was bad as after his presidency the economy was in the economic ruin which Ford and then Carter consequentially inherited. Therefore this analogy fails and doesn't disprove my point.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Castin
You are very good at persuasion.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08
What Parrot was stating was that Carter was solely responsible for an economic collapse in just 3 years when in reality the economy was essentially already in an economic collapse. 

your reality today is different from the voter's reality in 1980.

Being popular in one state doesn't make you the president of the other 49 states.
Pinkfreud08
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Greyparrot
your reality today is different from the voter's reality in 1980.
Alright so you're completely going to ignore historical context completely and ignore the previous two presidencys which contributed to the economic collapse and you'd rather put faith in outdated opinions of the voters. When the same logic can be applied to Trump. I mean aright. 

Being popular in one state doesn't make you the president of the other 49 states.
In a way it kind of does, if you're popular in all of the swing states you can ignore the rest of the country as demonstrated by the data I've provided. 
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Pinkfreud08
In a way it kind of does, if you're popular in all of the swing states you can ignore the rest of the country as demonstrated by the data I've provided. 

If you’re popular in NY, TX, CA, and FL you can ignore the rest of the country.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Pinkfreud08
u do realize the only reason why the economy is booming is because of Obama right? Obama inherited the worst economy since the great depression and in his last 2 years of the presidency, the economy was booming through all of the hard work Obama put in. 

If you want to read an article that goes more in-depth than read this. However, it's very unfair to judge Trumps economy right now considering he's inheriting Obamas economy. 

So if a recession comes it’ll be Obama’s fault right?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Nah. it won't officially become Trump's economy until it goes south.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Pinkfreud08
Considering that Clinton won the popular vote and support from the majority of the country, voters agreed that Obama did a fine job as president. 
You mean liberals in California and New York?

Considering that Obama inherited the worst economy since the Great depression and managed to turn it around in the last 2 years of his presidency, I'd say Obama was successful considering the GDP growth at the start of his presidency was at -2.5 and ended at + 4.2, and the only reason Trump won was because of the broken system known as the electoral college. 

Broken when it doesn’t benefit you huh

Trump very plainly doesn't appeal to the majority of voters as demonstrated by his approval rating and him losing the popular vote. So to call the majority of voters " not buying Obamas liberal propaganda " is a gross understatement as demonstrated by the data which proves the opposite. 

Approval rating is from polling which has proven time and time again that when it comes to Trump it’s unreliable. Furthermore me disapproving him doesn’t mean I won’t vote for him. I can hate him as a person but his ideology still aligns with mine and therefore I’ll vote for him.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Democrats are racist. It’s cause Trump is white that they blame him.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Pinkfreud08

Or you can do what Trump did and ignore whako California because he didn't need the 4.2 million extra Californian popular votes to become president of the other 49 states. 

Amazingly enough, Clinton wasted campaign stops in California when Trump went there zero times. Someone should have told Hillary that getting 65% of the vote in California doesn't win elections. Neither does outspending your opponent 2 to 1.

Convincing the other 49 states that Obama had good economic policies would have worked though. Neither Hillary or Obama was able to pull it off.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Nah, racist has nothing to do with skin color anymore, just whether you disagree with someone.