People With Mental Illness Should Not Own a Gun

Author: Vader

Total: 5
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
This should go in the severe case of even people with small diseases. I believe it is uneeded for someone with these disabilities to own a gun when they have a chance at creating havok in our nations. Guns do not kill people. People kill people and it has been the mentally ill that do it
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Vader
so you don't believe in due process?
there's already a system to determine if someone is too mentally unstable to own firearms etc, mentally incompetent, it's actually on the NICS form.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Vader
Guns do not kill people. People kill people and it has been the mentally ill that do it
I would have to disagree. There are cases of toddlers killing their parents with guns. there are cases of people getting angry in traffic and killing another driver, there are cases where someone finds their partner cheating on them so they shoot them. there are cases where people kill other people by mistake. I read a case the other day where a guy flew to florida to surprise his father in law for his birthday and his father in law shot and killed him.

Those aren't mentally ill people. They are just people. People die every single day to guns in america, and most of them weren't killed by someone mentally ill. So while keeping guns out of the hands of mentally ill people is certainly a good idea, it is only a tiny fraction of the problem. 
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@HistoryBuff
Mass shootings are committed by mentally ill. That is what I'm focusing on. In the average society, things will happen like that
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@Vader
I believe it is uneeded for someone with these disabilities to own a gun when they have a chance at creating havok in our nations.
It doesn't matter what you believe is needed, especially due to an unsubstantiated prospect of "havoc." Anyone can create havoc, and they wouldn't need a gun either.

Mass shootings are committed by mentally ill. That is what I'm focusing on. In the average society, things will happen like that
Show me the pathological analysis of blood work that infers "illness." Mental illness is merely a guise thrown around to augment abnormal social behaviors.