Author: secularmerlin

Total: 46
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Hello secularmerlin,

it looks like you have been reading the bible and are coming close to understanding it. In other words, perhaps you are not far from the kingdom. 

Your scenario is perfectly understandable to Christians. It is not perplexing at all.  Have you ever wondered why the Bible says - "no one has seen God at any time"...  And yet on the other hand describes numerous examples of where people have seen God? Contradiction? For those who want to choose God, yes. For those who are chosen by God, no. 

But for the Christian it is not a puzzle? 

A while ago, someone else asked a similar question to the one you posited. How do you know if you are choosing the right God or right religion? Someone else asked something similar. Why did you choose that God? 

My answer is: I did not choose God. He chose me. I know that sounds mystical or arrogant. But it certainly takes the randomness of choosing the wrong god out of the equation. 

How can anyone see God unless God chooses to reveal himself to them? This is how the Bible describes revelation. 

If I had to choose a God to follow - it would be a deity who would agree with me and my morality. In fact he would be a lot like me - made in my own image.  Isn't that how people like to describe other people's gods? God - made in the image of man. And yet, sometimes people turn around and look at the God of the Bible - and try to describe him the same way - and then notice that God in the Bible is very much unlike how we want to be. If God is all loving - he would save all people. He would not send anyone to Hell. What kind of loving God would do that? Certainly not one made in my image. I love the irony. 

The God of the Bible is clearly not made in the image of the 21st century progressive leftie. Nor is he made in the image of the conservative right winger. He did not go to politically correct school and laughs at the UN and its so called human rights. He is who he is.  Or what he likes to be known as "I am who I am". And honestly I think this is what grates most people. He does things his own way - and not how we expect or even desire. 

This is why I did not choose the God of the bible to be my God. There is no way in the world I would have chosen the God of the bible to be my God. Yet the God of the Bible chose me to be his and in the end - that is the difference. And that is why I don't have to worry about choosing the cup with the coin under it - nor do I have to worry about not playing the game in the first place. 

But I think that the fact that you are asking this question - means God is not yet finished with you. And this I think is a good thing. 

328 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@secularmerlin
Nihilistsic materialists, make the assumption that there 'is no coin, I'd say.
Though most become existentialists and play the game anyway, find some meaning in how they go about it.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Lemming
Nihilistic materialism is something of  a contradiction, as materialism gives meaning to a lot of people, including a great many hypocritical theists.

And existentialism probably describes what most people think without thinking.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@zedvictor4
Perhaps, all I mean to say is, I think there is no coin.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
There may be a coin and there may not. In neither case is it "just" to punish a carnival goer for looking in the wrong cup or even just not playing.
Lemming
Lemming
-->
@secularmerlin
Well, logically, if a person thinks there 'is a coin, they would think that a person is losing out by not possessing the coin.
And logically if there 'was a coin, a person 'would be losing out by not possessing it.
Though I don't think there's a coin.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
Some people might wrongly feel that their carnival experience will have inherently less meaning if they don't find the coin but I assure you that coin or no coin there are other things to do at the carnival.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Hi SecularMerlin,

It was nice of someone to bring this topic up again.  

It was also nice to read what I wrote a while ago. Do you have any comments? 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
Yes. I do not believe you know where the coin is and you are unable to show your coin to me.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Yes. I do not believe you know where the coin is and you are unable to show your coin to me.
There is no coin.  I cannot show you what is not there.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
There is a coin, but not necessarily where it could be.
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@zedvictor4
Nup - no coin.  

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Tradesecret
There must have been a coin.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
Is it not then reasonable to assume that stance with all propositions? That if you cannot show me it is likely that nothing is there to show?
Tradesecret
Tradesecret
-->
@secularmerlin
Is it not then reasonable to assume that stance with all propositions? That if you cannot show me it is likely that nothing is there to show?
What would make that a reasonable assumption? 

You started a post about a hypothetical story about a mark under a cup.   It was your way of attempting to demonstrate the ridiculousness of how you perceive the gospel story or rather the notion of religion and finding the right one. 

I think it only really demonstrates your ignorance of what the Bible teaches and what Christians teach about God. 

I say there is no mark - because you are coming from the whole picture from the wrong angle.  You still keep putting God into a box - one that looks like you. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Tradesecret
What would make that a reasonable assumption? 
Skepticism which is necessary in the pursuit of truth. I do not believe in that which cannot be demonstrated. 
You started a post about a hypothetical story about a mark under a cup.
No a coin under a cup. You are the mark as in the person being duped or conned.