If you hosted a debate, which candidates would you invite?

Author: Imabench

Total: 100
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
There is also a new meaning for the word Lynching.

When used by the left to describe the impeachment of Bill Clinton, it means an unfair kangaroo court.

When used by the right to describe the impeachment of 45, it means a call for black genocide.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
The whole redefining of words by the left was foretold in the novel 1984 as THE way the powerful elite would be able to maintain power while maintaining the illusion of democracy.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Charles Weingartner, one of the founding members of the NCTE committee on Public Doublespeak mentioned: "people do not know enough about the manipulation of words to recognize that the language being used conceals, distorts, misleads. Teachers of English should teach our students that words are not given things, but verbal tokens or signs of things that should finally be carried back to the things that they stand for to be verified."
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
Teachers of English should teach our students that words are not given things, but verbal tokens or signs of things that should finally be carried back to the things that they stand for to be verified."
I love that, I want that on a tee-shirt

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Now, what do you think of the 90% unfavorable Main Stream corporate media claiming Trump is a deranged idiot while also being an evil genius at the same time capable of crafting over 10 thousand lies?
I think some people at some point thought he had some evil plans. no one thinks that any more. years of watching him bumble his way through a presidency has convinced everyone of that. However, some still do think that there are people around him pulling strings and they could have evil genius plans. Although that being said, he hired mostly incompetent morons, so it would mostly be stupid evil plans...

The 10 thousand lies things has nothing to do with intelligence. He just lies so often that most people have just tuned it out. the vast majority of people just expect him to be lying and therefore don't even care that he is. And a small percentage are so delusional that they honestly believe he doesn't lie. 

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
I would have Biden, Warren, Tulsi, Yang, and Bernie, and have Trump on a separate podium. Use the format of a roast for them debate; let them each roast Trump, then he gets a shot back. Let them all get it out of their system.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 And a small percentage are so delusional that they honestly believe he doesn't lie. 

That's a far smaller group than the insane people that believe the "evil genius" has lied 10,000 times.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
That's a far smaller group than the insane people that believe the "evil genius" has lied 10,000 times.
A great many people believe he has lied thousands of times, because he has. No one thinks he is a genius. He is an idiot who can't control the things he says and so a large percentage of it is just insane, stupid, or a lie. 

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@HistoryBuff
A great many people believe he has lied thousands of times, because he has. No one thinks he is a genius. He is an idiot who can't control the things he says and so a large percentage of it is just insane, stupid, or a lie. 

Welcome to politics. The claim works for both sides of the aisle. You have to give Trump credit that he’s a master at persuasion.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@ILikePie5
Welcome to politics. The claim works for both sides of the aisle. You have to give Trump credit that he’s a master at persuasion.
Agreed. He is a skilled con man. If only he had the intelligence to actually do something positive with it. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff

There you go again with that Orwellian Doublethink

You're like a walking case study in 1984 paradigms.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
There you go again with that Orwellian Doublethink
You're like a walking case study in 1984 paradigms.
What are you talking about? Do you think only smart people can lie? Trump is an idiot who will say anything that comes into his mind if he thinks it will help him. He doesn't care if it is true or not. Sometimes he says things he has no idea if they are true or not. Often he says things he knows aren't true. He lies so habitually I'm not even sure he knows when he is lying anymore. 

I don't think he is evil. I don't think he is a genius. He is a narcissist who will do anything to get what he wants. This is typically money, power and prestige/respect. He will lie, cheat, steal and hurt anyone who gets between him and those goals. He doesn't care about you, about america, about his family. He would burn it all down in an instant he if he thought it would make him richer and more powerful. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The doublethink is where you first stated that he has lied 10,000 times, which means he is smart enough to know the truth 10,000 times, was in control of the narrative to craft 10,000 lies purposefully, and was mistaken due to stupidity zero times. Then you go on to say that some of the 10,000 things are also insane, stupid, said with no control, tweeting 10,000 things that are false because he doesn't know any better. 

It is either one or the other, either 2+2 = 4 or 2+2 = 5.

The press has made it acceptable to SIMULTANEOUSLY hold contradictory views about Trump with no critical dissonance. Namely, that he is smart enough to know the truth 10,000 times and evil enough to deceive us in every case while also at the same time being too stupid to know he was wrong 10,000 times.

It's this very manifestation of Orwellian Doublethink propagated by the Mockingbird press that allows people to be indoctrinated into thinking Trump is literally Hitler while at the same time being a Russian Puppet.

It's a clear failure of our higher education systems to allow such a casual disregard for critical thinking.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Imabench
RM..--Warren. Only. I would give her the floor and sit in awe.That is not sarcasm, she's genuinely the best thing in American politics I've seen in a long time.
I agree. Warren is like the female Rough Rider, Teddy Roosevelt.

I'm partial to  mostly to Amy Kobluchars softer approach and political record.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
@ResurgetExFavilla
@ILikePie5
Have you noticed the Doublethink and Doublespeak in the mainstream media?
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
I recently watched a slew of videos showing Trump is a master at what he says and does.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
The doublethink is where you first stated that he has lied 10,000 times, which means he is smart enough to know the truth 10,000 times, was in control of the narrative to craft 10,000 lies purposefully, and was mistaken due to stupidity zero times.
I don't believe I said he has lied 10,000 times. I did say thousands of times. But if even 20% of the incorrect or misleading statements he has made were knowing false or misleading, then that would still be thousands. 

The press has made it acceptable to SIMULTANEOUSLY hold contradictory views about Trump with no critical dissonance. Namely, that he is smart enough to know the truth 10,000 times and evil enough to deceive us in every case while also at the same time being too stupid to know he was wrong 10,000 times.
And the right does not have the exact same cognitive dissonance about trump? "He hires all the best people", but he fires them or forces them to quit in disgrace every few months. "He is smart and has a plan", but when that plan blows up or is shown to be illegal then it totally isn't his fault or wasn't his idea. "trump is working hard for america", while he has gone to his golf resorts 223 times in less than 3 years costing the tax payers 10's if not hundreds of millions of dollars. In the age of trump where false statements are made at a break neck pace, I think everyone has trouble trying to figure out what is true, what is lies, and what is just his complete stupidity.

It's a clear failure of our higher education systems to allow such a casual disregard for critical thinking.
Trump literally called part of the constitution "phoney" because he didn't like it and fox news just agrees with whatever he says. Anyone who hear the president say such patently stupid and/or insane things and think he should be president shows the failure of our education system. 
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
it's very obvious, unless you are an ideallog or lemming.  
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
And the right does not have the exact same cognitive dissonance about trump? 

No, we actually do not. And it is clear how completely bamboozled you are with the doublespeak indoctrination to assume every Trump voter is like that.

Many times on this site, myself, pie, dreadpirate, REF, have clearly said that at some times he lies depending on context. Sometimes he has no clue what he is doing depending on context, and sometimes he is doing a masterful job manipulating people depending on context. At no time do we ever hold these views at the same time for the same contextual instance. 

It's been said over and over that his improvements to the country are much more important than the cosmetics of a president from all of us, yet you refuse to take that as a representation of the Trump voter because the media has told you that it can not be.

And even yet, the media would have you believe that Trump is an idiot that is wrecking the economy with his policies while AT THE SAME TIME being smart and wise enough to allow Obama's "awesome" economic policies to remain untouched. Only a person who believes in infinitesimally impossible random chance could consciously hold those 2 views at the same time with zero dissonance.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
+1....
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
No, we actually do not. And it is clear how completely bamboozled you are with the doublespeak indoctrination to assume every Trump voter is like that
Did I ever say every trump voter was like that? I do not believe that I did. Fox news is just as guilty of that as every other news agency. And many of the people who watch fox news are as well. 

It's been said over and over that his improvements to the country are much more important than the cosmetics of a president from all of us, yet you refuse to take that as a representation of the Trump voter because the media has told you that it can not be.
I keep asking over and over what improvements he has made. I have never actually been given any of any significance. He is doing massive damage but people just keep cheering on the madness and corruption.

And even yet, the media would have you believe that Trump is an idiot that is wrecking the economy with his policies while AT THE SAME TIME being smart and wise enough to allow Obama's "awesome" economic policies to remain untouched.
Starting trade wars with half of the world and massively cutting taxes on the rich are not Obama economic policy. What positive effects is he having on the economy other than giving handouts to rich people? And no, I don't consider that positive, but I would guess you do. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 And no, I don't consider that positive, but I would guess you do. 

Do you consider private-sector job creation a negative?

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Do you consider private-sector job creation a negative?
In general job creation is positive. However there is no evidence trump has had any positive effect on that. In fact, his trade wars are hammering a number of industries, soy bean farmers being an obvious example. Job growth is continuing to slow as well. While republicans love to claim that tax cuts for the rich create jobs, there is very little evidence to support that. What it does create is ever greater income gaps between a the tiny sliver of the population with the vast majority of the money and everyone else. 

The corporate insiders are selling off their stocks at a fast pace, faster than they have in over 10 years. You don't sell off all your stocks if you think things are going to go well. They all know that a recession is coming. And while trump certainly can't be entirely blamed for it, he definitely made things worse.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
However, there is no evidence Trump has had any positive effect on that.

Orly... Guess it's blind luck then that he is presiding over such large job creation. Certainly can't be due to competence, right?
You like astrology? I hear it's a fun hobby.

Obama sure believed in magic wands.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
*mic drop*
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Lol, don't mind me, I am having a Friday beer.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Orly... Guess it's blind luck then that he is presiding over such large job creation. Certainly can't be due to competence, right?
You like astrology? I hear it's a fun hobby.

Obama sure believed in magic wands.
This isn't evidence or an argument for anything.

If your claim is that Trump has personally had a positive impact on job creation, the correct approach would be to substantiate this claim with his position on job creation, legislation that he has personally advocated for and signed off on, followed by the impact that the legislation had on job creation.

I personally think, and all accounts suggest that Trump isn't competent or informed enough to have a position on anything meaningful, and that's hes a sock puppet for Republican agenda.

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
Cute. Give me an example of legislation that stimulates job creation.

Let's just conveniently ignore that the president has executive order powers for the moment.
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
-->
@RationalMadman
Warren. Only. I would give her the floor and sit in awe.

That is not sarcasm, she's genuinely the best thing in American politics I've seen in a long time.
  1. Warren voted for Trump’s increase to the military budget 
  2. Warren has taken money from military contractors
  3. Warren Is wanting to take big money in the general election 
  4. Warren has been iffy on medicare for all
There’s some more left ideas she’s against but I’m not sure of your political leanings exactly. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@Reece101
Four nonsense things you made up on the spot.