chicken or egg- i argue egg came first

Author: linate

Total: 138
mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@sadolite
I think it is a philosophically cosmic query.  No biggie.

Fuller and Smolin both state that it is obvious the egg comes  before the chicken. Probably  many others of their type also have stated their oppinion.

The conceptual FUTURE cannot become conceptual PAST until it is processed via 2D { I } consciousness as here and now { * I * }

< PAST < Out < { * i * } < In < FUTURE <

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@sadolite
I decided to do lab experiment on this issue, so at restaurant last night I ordered both chicken and an egg, just to see which came first.
Grugore
Debates: 1
Grugore
-->
@linate
You are asking the wrong question. Information theory states that language is the result of intelligence. DNA is a language. It has syntax and meaning. It produces results based on input from its environment. So, where did the information for a chicken come from? 
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Grugore
You left out a crucial defining characteristic of language. Language communicates information from one mind to another. That is not what DNA does, therefore it is not a language.

The fact that particular sequences of DNA produce particular results does not mean those sequences have "meaning" in the same way words have meaning. Claiming such is a fallacy of equivocation. It is akin to saying that atmospheric conditions have meaning because particular conditions produce particular results.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stronn
You left out a crucial defining characteristic of language. Language communicates information from one mind to another. That is not what DNA does, therefore it is not a language.

The fact that particular sequences of DNA produce particular results does not mean those sequences have "meaning" in the same way words have meaning. Claiming such is a fallacy of equivocation. It is akin to saying that atmospheric conditions have meaning because particular conditions produce particular results.

I don't think that's right.    The information in a chicken genome comes about from chance.   Of course getting the DNA sequence of a chicken by pure random chance would take longer than than the life-time of the universe, which is where natural selection gets into the picture.   Natural selection is why evolution resembles a purposeful process rather than a random walk.

SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@linate
The egg came first quite simply. The Red Jungle Fowl is the chicken's ancestor... over time, a select population of those fowls laid eggs that hatched an animal that more closely resembled what we consider to be a chicken. Over their generations, this population kept doing that... producing offspring and passing down specific traits until it ended up looking like a chicken/an animal that humans have come to know. So, in this instance, the egg came first... a slightly more 'chicken-y' bird came out second... 

It's almost like wolves and dogs... did a dachshund come first or was there a group of wolves out there that, under the guidance and selection of people, produced offspring that gradually took on the appearance of your average dog(that would later be bred into a dachshund)? In this instance, the pregnancy(rough equivalent of the egg in birds) came first, then a slightly friendlier and docile dog came out second...

tbh, idk why this thread is as long as it is. 

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@keithprosser
I'm not sure which part of what I said you think is not right. I did not mention random chance or natural selection.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stronn
I don't think your post answered Grug's question '"where did the information for a chicken come from?".

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@SamStevens
Was the egg relative to the layer or the " slightly more chicken-y bird"?

It was the layer that produced the egg. So perhaps the egg wasn't actually "chicken-y" enough to be regarded as the first chickens egg.

Therefore if the egg was non-"chicken-y", then obviously the chicken came first and then started laying true "chicken-y" eggs.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I fucked both, the Chicken is usually faster, unless you get it drunk first.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser

..."Confirmation of Quantum Resonance in Brain Microtubules"....

Ergo occupied SPACE and Observed TIME

Pilot Wave determinism

entropy = S and S = area/4.  See four bisecting hexagonal planes of spherical cubo-octahedron

..."In particular, certain string theories in five dimensional Anti-deSitter (AdS) spacetime are so mapped to conformal field theories on the corresponding spacetime's four-dimensional boundary which bears some resemblance to Minkowski spacetime (Maldacena et al. 1997). Witten (1998) has shown that the entropy of a black hole residing in the bulk Anti-deSitter spacetime equals that of thermal radiation of the fields residing on its boundary.".....

SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@zedvictor4
Was the egg relative to the layer or the " slightly more chicken-y bird"?

It was the layer that produced the egg. So perhaps the egg wasn't actually "chicken-y" enough to be regarded as the first chickens egg.

Therefore if the egg was non-"chicken-y", then obviously the chicken came first and then started laying true "chicken-y" eggs.

The egg is relative to the slightly more chicken-y bird. The egg came first, the slightly more chicken-y bird that developed inside of that egg came out second and together, they are representative of evolution. With each generation of this, a population of Red Jungle Fowl began to take on the appearance and traits of what we would consider being your average chicken.

Where would the first chicken come from? An egg... laid by a proto-chicken. The proto-chicken is perfectly able to lay an egg that is chicken-y. All that means is that the egg laid would have to contain a bird that would be able to breed successfully with the majority of today's chickens. 

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@keithprosser
I wasn't attempting to answer the question about where the information for a chicken came from. I was merely taking issue with Grugore's assertion that DNA is a language.
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@linate
science is inexact in listing what constitutes a species. if the animal meets criteria like two wings a beak two legs etc, then it is a chicken. the problem is that this is an inexact science. it is sufficient for everyday use, sure. but a line has to be drawn. how do we draw it?

the lithmus test to define chicken should be that any ancester chicken that can successfully breed with a current chicken, is a chicken. 

so which came first? the egg. if you go back in time we will find the first closest relative chicken that can mate succesfully with a modern chicken. that first ancester chicken came in the form of an egg. it is impossible to know which chicken came first as we can't for a practical matter mate all ancesters with all modern chickens, but in principle we know that there is an 'earliest chicken' and that it came in the form of an egg. 
This is a purely ontological question.
SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@ethang5
If we went back to that time, we would find there were no chickens at all for that "first" chicken to mate with..........

D'oh!!

nope... the first chicken would have been able to mate with just about every other chicken in that population. If we went back to that time, we would see a population of Red Jungle Fowl, through the generations, slowly take on the various traits that cause them collectively to become chickens.

There wasn't a 'first' chicken running around unable to mate with others as you claim. Rather, you'd probably see a bunch of 'first' chickens running around as the population as a whole experiences evolution and a gradual change in their genetics. 

D'oh!! XD

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SamStevens
You must be playing the "I'll be Darwin game."

the first chicken would have been able to mate with just about every other chicken in that population.
If it's the "first chicken", from where the other chickens? When you say "first", what does that mean?

Populations grow, they do not appear end masse. Perhaps you should have given your post a bit more thought.

...slowly take on the various traits that cause them collectively to become chickens.
That isn't how evolution works Darwin. Individuals change, and they change through individual genetic mutations, not "collectively". And what is a Red Jungle Fowl? How is it different from a chicken? And going back in time, why do we stop there?

....the first chicken would have been able to mate....
There wasn't a 'first' chicken running around unable to mate...
Ooo k. I can see we've got us an expert evolutionist here. Tell us more about this first/not first chicken able/unable to mate. It's fascinating.
SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@ethang5
"If it's the "first chicken", from where the other chickens? When you say "first", what does that mean?"

The first 'chicken' in this situation would be an animal laid from an egg that is able to successfully reproduce with the average modern chicken. So, if we were to go back to various points in time during the chicken's evolution and test various animals for their reproductive compatibility with your average chicken of today, you would be able to find the generation of chickens that marked the beginning of successful reproductive compatibility with modern chickens from thereon out. With more testing, you may be able to find a specific family of birds/brood that was ever so slightly ahead of the curve in that generation and that would experience a slightly higher rate of reproductive compatibility with a modern chicken and brand them as the first 'chickens'. To throw out a number, you could define successful reproduction as an 80% chance of producing healthy offspring with a modern chicken. Generations before this one may only have a 75% chance of successful reproduction as they are slightly more removed from a modern chicken, thus being just outside what we would consider being the first chicken(s) and we could call them proto-chickens or whatever. Regardless of where you set your benchmark for healthy reproduction rates with modern chickens and how long ago that corresponds to, all of those chickens within that generation or brood came from eggs laid by proto-chickens, their processors would not be considered modern chickens.

As for my mention of Red Jungle Fowls, and the usage of them in my posts, it's merely representative of how we would go about determining when the first chicken(s) arose. It could very well be the case that the majority of Red Jungle Fowl can breed successfully with your average modern chicken; in that case, you'd have to find the animal that came before the Red Jungle Fowl and compare that to modern chickens. I don't know what came before Red Jungle Fowl, but there was a species of bird that was pecking at bugs in Asia 10...15... 20,000 years ago that was the predecessor of the Red Jungle Fowl that you would compare to the modern chicken. 

Now, as the OP mentioned, what constitutes a species is inexact. As to where you draw your line or how you define your benchmark for healthy reproduction rates is up you to. However, the problem that you claimed would exist for the first chicken(s), that it would be living without a suitable mate to breed with, is not even an issue if you were to think this out. As I have explained above, you are most likely looking at a generation of animals as the first 'chickens' and there would be no reproductive incompatibility issues with them as they are all more or less on the same genetic page. 

Individuals change, and they change through individual genetic mutations, not "collectively".
Sure, and those individuals constitute a population, and through natural selection or a human-imposed filter of domestication, you would see the whole population change through the generations as these genetic mutations experience a higher chance of getting passed down and being expressed. 

"Evolution is a process that results in changes in the genetic material of a population over time."

keithprosser
keithprosser
Suppose RJFs (red jungle fowls) have mostly red feathers with just a few white ones and chickens are the other way around.
At the outset the 'average' bird is,say, 90% red feather, 10% white feather.

A mutant is born with more than average white feathering-say 15%  For some reason the extra white feathers are an advatage, so the mutant  has many offspring, all with slightly more white feathers than average.   Hence in the next generation the 'average bird' is 89% red, 11% white.

Suppose that advantage of white feathers is that it confuses some predator.  That means the more white feathers you have the more offspring you have before you get eaten.   Hence each generation will be- on average - slightly whiter than the one before.   After a few generations the flock will have transformed from being mostly red "RJFs" into being mostly white "chickens".

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
After a few generations the flock will have transformed from being mostly red "RJFs" into being mostly white "chickens".

White holes vs black holes vs spinning black holes.

What is the commonality?  Numerical 12.

Cubo{6}-octa{8}hedron --8 equilateral triangles and 6 squares-- has 12 vertexial nodes.

Icosa{20}hedron  --20 equalteral triangles-- has  12 vertexial nodes.

6 squares divided by 2 = 12 right-angle triangles plus 8 equilateral triangles = 20 triangles.

Tetrahedron has 12 surface angles

Octahedron has 12 chords/edges

Pentagonal dodecahedon has 12 pentagonal faces

Rhombic Dodecahedron has 12 faces and dihedral angle 120 degrees ergo 10 * 12.

Bilateral humans have 12 cranial nerves

6 great hexagonal planes define the cubo{6}-octa{8}hedron and when these 6 are constructed from a material ex paper we have;

24 chords of cubo-octahedron and,
24 radii of cubo-octahedron and this balance is why the cubo-octahedron is called the vector equlibrium.

Entropy of a black hole found in following formula S { entropy } = area divided / by 4.

24, outer-circumferential-chords  divided / by 4 = 6

24, internal radii, divided / by 4 = 6

Outer 6 plus internal 6 = 12.

Average age for puberty in boys and girls is 12 years.

31 left and 31 right-skew great planes of the 5{ phi }-fold icosa{20}hedron are numerical same as 31 bilateral spinal nerves ergo 62.

62 / 12 = 5.1 66 66 6

..."The number 5 is intrinsically related to Phi and the Fibonacci series."...

Penta{5}gon internal angle is 72 degrees / 12 = 6

Equilateral triangle / 6 = 6 right-angle triangles ergo 6 * 20 { icosa } = 120 ergo 10 * 12 = 120

10 great circles of the5-fold  icosahedrons 31, define 5 cases cubo-octahedra.

..."Emergence of 4-fold symmetry in 5-fold symmetry"...

The following is just 87 primary set great circles, we may have 2ndary, trinary etc occuring within and surface of black hole phenomena.

Mutiplication-by-division. Bifurication etc

Username
Debates: 9
Username
whatever 

dinosaurs laid eggs 

chickens were not alive 

eggs came before chickens 
MagicAintReal
Debates: 12
MagicAintReal
-->
@linate
One way you can always think about species is a reproductive community.
Like while tigers and lions are not the same species, they can make offspring with each other (tion, liger), because these offspring are not viable.
If two organisms can consistently reproduce viable offspring with each other, to create a reproductive community, then they are the same species.
Viable, consistent, reproduction.

Also of course it was the egg, because mutations occur in the zygote...two non chickens, but really close to chickens genetically, had sex and the egg that resulted mutated and became the first chicken egg, thanks to mutations such as those occurring in the zygote.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@SamStevens
I gave a very similar explanation to ethang5 earlier in this thread, but it didn't take. It turns out he has a fundamental misunderstanding of Mendelian inheritance.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
What gets me is the pride he takes in his willful ignorance. Isn't it cute?
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SamStevens
This post highlights my claim.

Evolutionists soar when they speak only in generalities. Tie them down to specifics and they immediately start to doublespeak.

You went to reproductive compatibility. Of course you did. The point was that a single individual with a genetic mutation would not be able to spread that mutation throughout the gene pool if all potential mates did not have that mutation.

You dodged that point and filled your post with evo-fluff.
disgusted
disgusted
Eggs came before chickens, really simple.
SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@ethang5
This post highlights my claim.

Evolutionists soar when they speak only in generalities. Tie them down to specifics and they immediately start to doublespeak.

You went to reproductive compatibility. Of course you did. The point was that a single individual with a genetic mutation would not be able to spread that mutation throughout the gene pool if all potential mates did not have that mutation.

You dodged that point and filled your post with evo-fluff.

The point wasn't dodged. I explained how your claim, as I understood it based on your first posts in this thread, that the mutation wouldn't be able to spread through the population because it had no one else to mate, with was false. I went into reproductive compatibility because that is how these mutations are spread and that is ultimately what defines a species, more or less, if they are reproductively compatible or not. 

You said the following in your second post on this thread: "And what creature did this mutated whatever mate with? D'oh!", as if there is reproductive incompatibility with other individuals in that population... that this bird is a genetic freak wandering aimlessly around unable to produce offspring. Well, you're wrong, and rejecting the idea that reproductive compatibility has everything to do with this or acting like I'm introducing something that is totally irrelevant to how populations begin to change over time as mutations are spread just shows how you don't know what you are talking about. 

"Generalities"

There's nothing wrong with speaking in generalities as you claim. 

As the video states correctly, we are dealing with stuff that takes thousands of generations to occur and that has happened outside of a controlled, scientific laboratory. No one mutation would suddenly create a new species of chicken; rather, the culmination of these mutations over thousands of years would create a new animal. Because of this, the fact that we don't have a new species of chicken evolving in a laboratory, the fact that this stuff happened thousands of years ago, the fact that the term species is inexact in some instances, I'm of the opinion that it would be almost impossible to pinpoint the very first modern chicken. That's why I went into the generations of chickens, etc. However, the egg came first. The first generation of birds comprised mostly of 'modern' chickens had to come from somewhere... and that somewhere is an egg. 

SamStevens
SamStevens
-->
@Stronn
I gave a very similar explanation to ethang5 earlier in this thread, but it didn't take. It turns out he has a fundamental misunderstanding of Mendelian inheritance.

lol, I just read the exchange between you and him and I did write up a remarkably similar explanation to yours. Had I actually read this thread in full instead of just skimming through it, not really paying attention to later developments in it, I wouldn't have wasted my time on ethang XD Having said that, upon reading the exchange between you to, it's a lot more easier to figure out why ethang is wrong on this, even a Punnett square gave him difficulties lol

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@SamStevens
Reproductive compatibility has nothing to do with it. Mating with another individual without the mutation would kill the propagation of that mutation in the gene pool. So you rather talk about reproductive compatibility. Tigers and Lions are somewhat reproductively compatibile, know why we don't have hundreds of tigions running around?

There's nothing wrong with speaking in generalities as you claim. 
Not if you're an evolutionist that needs to breeze over the details to make his lame theory sound viable, no. When asked for details, you should be able to supply them if your argument is so tight. You will skip over thousands of years of evolution as if its fully explained. Wait Darwin, tell us exactly how that one mutation propagated in the gene pool. The actual mechanism, not some sweeping generality pre-assuming evolution is correct, thus assuming its conclusion in its premise.

No one mutation would suddenly create a new species of chicken; rather, the culmination of these mutations over thousands of years would create a new animal.
Yeah. That was my objection remember? Yet here you are, unable to explain how a new species comes about without first assuming that a new species came about. D'oh!

However, the egg came first. The first generation of birds comprised mostly of 'modern' chickens had to come from somewhere...
Not so fast slick. Let's look at the first bird, not the first "generation" of birds comprised mostly of 'modern' chickens. Details, not generalities.

...and that somewhere is an egg.
Of course, what laid that egg makes no difference right? Just gloss over that part covering 100,000 years in one neat sentence.

Had I actually read this thread in full instead of just skimming through it, not really paying attention to later developments in it, I wouldn't have wasted my time on ethang XD
You would have known that He wouldn't take your glib generalities as logical arguments. But for you, a high-five from another evolutionist substitutes nicely for actual explanatory content.

...upon reading the exchange between you to, it's a lot more easier to figure out why ethang is wrong on this,.... 
Is it my grammar?
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@ethang5
Wait Darwin, tell us exactly how that one mutation propagated in the gene pool. The actual mechanism, not some sweeping generality pre-assuming evolution is correct, thus assuming its conclusion in its premise.

I already explained this to you iin detail earlier in this thread.

Is it my grammar?
No, it's your basic lack of understanding that one parent with a mutation passes that mutation to half its offspring.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stronn
I already explained this to you iin detail earlier in this thread.
No sir. All you did was prance and preen about how much you knew science.

...it's your basic lack of understanding that one parent with a mutation passes that mutation to half its offspring.
Please stop being stupid. We were talking about a single individual with a recessive gene. You keep wanting to talk groups because your illogical theory cannot explain the propagation of a recessive gene in a gene pool by a single individual.

My post was not addressed to you. I've found you to be the type of evolutionist that will attack the man when you cannot attack his message. So rather than address the question at hand, you will gurgle nonsense about how much I don't know evolution.

It never occurs to you dolts that me not knowing evolution doesn't make you right. I was debating you, I found you dishonest and so wedded to evolution that you were immune to logic. Logic is my only tool. So I tossed you. I have not picked you back up.

Now, go find someone else to tell how brilliant you are, and by comparison, how dumb I am. If they are dumb enough, they will think that means evolution is true. Sound good to you?