semi automatic weapons should be banned for civilians with exceptions,

Author: PaulVerliane

Total: 48
PaulVerliane
Debates: 26
PaulVerliane
Australians semi automatic rifles the results were very positive https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Yeah, I agree but I played devil's advocate when I debated you on it.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
So, basically every weapon? Any gun that fires once when you press the trigger once would be banned?
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@bmdrocks21
No, just semi automatics. That still leaves tasers, pump action and lever action rifles, revolvers as well as knives, spears, swords, that brick lying down the driveway and your aunt's garden chair should the need arise to give someone a good chairing
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@dustryder
Mmmm, I love giving burglars a good chairing. But I need my pistols to whip people!
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
basically making the 2a null and void
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
More or less, yeah. Banning most weapons, especially pistols, is rather rude.
SirAnonymous
Debates: 3
SirAnonymous
-->
@dustryder
Just so you know, saying "just semiautomatics" about guns is like saying "just four-wheeled cars" about automobiles. The vast majority of civilian-owned guns in the US (85% if I remember correctly) are semiautomatic.
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
stop being stupid A semi-automatic firearm, also called self-loading firearm or autoloading firearm (though fully automatic and selective fire firearms technically are also self-loading), is one that not only fires a bullet each time the trigger is pulled, but also performs all steps necessary to prepare it to discharge again—assuming cartridges remain in the firearm's feed device. Typically, this includes extracting and ejecting the spent cartridge case from the firing chamber, re-cocking the firing mechanism, and loading a new cartridge into the firing chamber. To fire again, the trigger is released and re-pressed.
Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher produced the first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle in 1885, and by the early 20th century, many manufacturers had introduced semi-automatic shotgunsrifles and pistols.
In military use, self-loading rifles were barely used in World War I, and most armies in World War II also still relied upon bolt-action rifles, with the exception of the Americans, who in 1937 had adopted the M1 Garand as the standard-issue infantry weapon.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm
stop playing that stupid dictionary game you cant win a debate do like a menstruating bitch you get petty and act like a punk 
dont be a cunt man up Argumentum ad dictionarium is the act of pulling out a dictionary to support your assertions. More broadly speaking it can refer to any argument about definitions, semantics, or what label to apply to a person or idea — an actual dictionary may not be involved, sometimes the definition is purely personal, sometimes it can be a case of picking and choosing definitions raised by other sources,[2] but the end use is the same. For the most part, "dictionary" is used as a short-cut to refer to any source of these definitions, including statement such as "well, if I define X like this…", which is possibly the most asinine form of the fallacy. See, we've had to head off one use of this fallacy already in case someone says, "It's not this fallacy because I'm not using a dictionary!"
It is a form of argument from authority combining attributes of a red herring argument and, frequently, special pleading. It's very closely related to equivocation and doublespeak. About 91.3% of arguments on the internet tend to boil down to this.https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_dictionarium

PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@dustryder
you can be rambo with this then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8KMZpzNZQo&t=13s
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
You better hope the mods don't see those personal attacks. Wouldn't want to get banned again, would you, billy boy?

You agree with me. When you pull the trigger once, one bullet fires. Yes, in this case, it loads another. I never said they didn't. Now, again, you do realize that most firearms are semi-automatic, especially pistols, yes? (ie my entire point)
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
no no the are not its about 40% actually , fuck you i'm not afraid to die, why would i fear to be banned this is war ass hole i am tired of being polite

Nobody has good numbers on this.
Right about half of handgun sales are semi-autos, most likely.
About 40% of rifle sales (by some counts) are semi-auto.
Percentages have moved with time. Both types have seen semi-auto become more popular over time.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/1... has a table that indicates that it was about 28% in 1997. As my friend Mike Stork has convinced me, purchases since then are going to be pretty heavily skewed towards semiautomatics. This table says there are a little less than 200 million guns in the US then. As we now have over 300 million the fraction of semi’s is undoubtedly much higher.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/1... has a table that indicates that it was about 28% in 1997. As my friend Mike Stork has convinced me, purchases since then are going to be pretty heavily skewed towards semiautomatics. This table says there are a little less than 200 million guns in the US then. As we now have over 300 million the fraction of semi’s is undoubtedly much higher.   

it isnt a majrity and if you look at australia as semi automatics were confiscated people replaced them with bolt action and strat pull and lever actions there are as many guns in australia now as 20 years ago when the buyback started. people intially hid their guns but over time most of them were turned in and people bought  other guns to replace the semi automatics   

it might not be necessary to confiscate these guns, we can merely grandfather old ones the way machine guns are, making it illegal to purchase any semiautomatic  made after say 2025 as the fire arms act of 1986 made it illgal to ourchase new machine guns , but one could still buy and sell machne guns made before 1986 subject to the federal fire arms act

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
Oh man, doubling down on the personal attacks. Honestly, I'm not offended by anything you say. I am tempted to report you because it would end your annoying spamming for debates and forum topics.

Handguns are used for self defense. Most people prefer semi-automatic pistols. Why do you want to get rid of them? Shouldn't people be able to defend themselves with a weapon they are comfortable with?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
Handguns are used for self defense. Most people prefer semi-automatic pistols. Why do you want to get rid of them? Shouldn't people be able to defend themselves with a weapon they are comfortable with?
irrational fears, like most things.  Consider some of the subcompact semi autos being made, there are revolvers that hold as many as some of these subcompact semi autos.  It's obviously irrational because they can't say how many rounds they think is ok, nor can they articulate why one more round than what they want would be one too many.  It's all a big joke.  Limiting magazines to 10 rounds for instance.  Why 10?  why not 11, 15, 5 etc just more irrational fears.  Hell people are afraid of flying right?  None of these restrictions are based on any real facts just that it makes them FEEL better, safer, because as we all know laws stop criminals, right?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Yeah, at the very least, I could see perhaps banning the 100 round drum magazine. I don't really think it should, but I could at least see where they were coming from on that. But yeah, what is the difference between 11 and 12? People are nervous when being attacked and are likely to miss a few times, so they need quite a few. Not to mention, one bullet doesn't always bring someone down.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don't know anyone who has or would want a 100 round mag of any kind, ammo isn't that cheap and they aren't all the reliable generally, but if it makes them FEEL better I wouldn't be terribly upset.
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
a limit of ten rounds on magazines like the old assualt weapons ban would placate me, how in gods name can anyone justify needing more than that in a civilian sceneario?
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
no that is not the definition of semi automatic and you know it you make a straw man argument  pay attention retard  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FCYJPwvqxY  A semi-automatic firearm, also called self-loading firearm or autoloading firearm (though fully automatic and selective fire firearms technically are also self-loading), is one that not only fires a bullet each time the trigger is pulled, but also performs all steps necessary to prepare it to discharge again—assuming cartridges remain in the firearm's feed device. Typically, this includes extracting and ejecting the spent cartridge case from the firing chamber, re-cocking the firing mechanism, and loading a new cartridge into the firing chamber. To fire again, the trigger is released and re-pressed.
Ferdinand Ritter von Mannlicher produced the first successful design for a semi-automatic rifle in 1885, and by the early 20th century, many manufacturers had introduced semi-automatic shotgunsrifles and pistols.
In military use, self-loading rifles were barely used in World War I, and most armies in World War II also still relied upon bolt-action rifles, with the exception of the Americans, who in 1937 had adopted the M1 Garand as the standard-issue infantry weapon.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm

PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
you sir are a coward and a bully, you act tough but you are the type to start a fight run hide call the police and play the victim, you are so trangender , you have such a sandy vagina
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
 Semi-automatic 

rifles kill twice as many as other guns, study finds
Researchers who examined FBI data on nearly 250 "active shooter" assaults also found that the chances of dying, if shot, were the same no matter the weapon.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
There were 8,454 in 2013. 285 of them are committed with rifles. They, therefore, are not twice as likely to kill you as any other gun. The trend continues into other years.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Yeah, ammo for AR-15s is insanely expensive. At least, if you care about your gun and get brass ammo. Steel ammo is pretty cheap, but terrible for your rifle.
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
you know what an autoloader is i assume slf laoding rifles, total and complet ban just to teach you a lesson i was going to allow exception but if you sinist on being a littl bitch, we need to show you who is actually in charge here

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
I'll legalize tanks and jets for all citizens to show you who is in charge here. Sorry for bursting your bubble.

PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21

dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@bmdrocks21
The article means that for any given mass shooting event, if the mass shooter is using a semi-automatic rifle, he/she is likely to kill twice as many people than if he/she were to use a non semi-automatic gun. The article does not state that semi-automatic rifles are twice as more likely to kill you as any other gun in general

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
Winning*
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@dustryder
Oh, I didn't read the article. I was trying to decipher his gibberish.
PaulVerliane
PaulVerliane
-->
@bmdrocks21
you want to see my gibberish? you perve
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@PaulVerliane
Gibberish