Can Christians be prochoice?

Author: YeshuaBought

Total: 109
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
I'd love to have a formal debate on abortion again. My schedule is very busy, but I would make time for you should you be interested.
Yes, thanks, I'm interested, depending on the scope of the argument. I suggest we make it a week or perhaps the two weeks per person for argumentation. In that way, we both have a more than reasonable amount of time to respond. Would you like to send a private message or post the proposed topic here before issuing the debate, since I feel you probably have something specific you want to debate on the subject? 

I am always interested in giving my best to defend the unborn through argumentation.  

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
Have they increased the time limits on debate on this site? I thought it was 72 hours per round.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
You have argued that it is not a person. I have argued the opposite and have asked you to qualify whether a human being by nature is a personal being? 

You have not seen a reasonable response because this question doesn't make sense to me. Is a human being always a person, my answer is no. Before they're born they are embryos, zygotes, fetuses. Not people. Please clarify what a 'personal being by nature' means. 
Do you have a nature that is human or some other kind of nature, say the nature of a bird (in most cases) or a bee? Thus, is it your nature as you grow to be a human being instead of another kind of being? One of the attributes of birds or bees is that they fly. If you have a nature of a bird or bee, do you fly or grow into that nature? Is the nature of a bee a nature that allows it to fly?

Human beings do not fly by their natures. One of the attributes of a being possessing a human nature is personhood. It is built into the genetics of a human being also to be a personal being. As that human being grows, the traits of personality become more apparent. Those traits are inherent in the makeup of the human being. They do not acquire them from some outside source but develop from what the human being already is. 

Can you support a counter-argument? Can you show precisely when personhood begins if it is not something built into us because of our inherent nature? 

How is it that a woman can decide to kill/murder her innocent unborn human offspring but if she decided to kill her innocent two-year-old, twelve-year-old, or twenty-year-old it is murder? Why two different sets of rules?
Because an embryo is not offspring. It is an embryo. All the others are people. This is not hard
The embryo has twenty-three chromosomes from the woman and twenty-three from the male (usually unless a genetic defect is present). Thus, it biologically carries as part of the makeup part of the woman's makeup. It is its own being at fertilization because two different sets of chromosomes combine at that time to create a unique new collection that is different than the one or the other. It becomes a living entity of its own at conception.  

Nevertheless, it shares with the woman's genetic makeup. Thus it is her offspring. It is biologically connected in that sense. Some of the features, traits, characteristics, attributes present in the woman will be shared with the unborn, and later newborn, child, teen, and adult.  

How do you know when 'person' begins? You make an artificial distinction at birth. Prove to me this is precisely when a person starts to be, 

But how does that work in our environment, outside the womb?. 
Your environment is not part of anyone's body anymore and you are a person.
The womb is still an environment, and you make a distinction of being able to kill a human being in one environment yet not another. 

Therefore, there must be another reason you deem it okay to kill one in the one environment yet not the other. You say that it is because the one inside the womb is part of the woman's body. It is not part of the woman's body. It is a separate body unless you think the woman has a penis or two female genitalia? Is that what you believe?

the newborn is dependent and reliant on the same woman for its life. Why can't she just end its life because it is undesirable too?
Because, you guessed it, the newborn is a person. 
So you do not hold all human life as equally valuable. You join the long list of others, such as Hitler, the slave owner, the apatheist, the Hindu cast, and a whole host of others who treat some humans as more privileged than others. You also join the list of those who arbitrarily castigate some human beings as sub-human, sub-persons, or non-persons unless you can establish why personhood begins at birth. Congratulations! 

there are very few good reasons why abortion is ever justifiable. 
THis makes it sound like you think there are also circumstances where it IS justifiable. If you think that, say that, but this seems disingenuous as it is.
Yes, there are times when I believe abortion justifiable. The only time is when the woman's life is threatened and by continuing with the pregnancy the woman will die, and not only the woman but the unborn also because we do not have the technology to properly sustain it, if at all, and give it the nutrients and support it that it requires and that it gets within the gestation period, and especially the early part of that period of existence.

Some may also argue that another justification for abortion would be a genetic mutation. I have not made my mind up completely on this issue yet. I still find it hard to justify because God is the giver and taker of life and we are created in His image and likeness. Thus we destroy someone who is created in His image who is innocent. That is murder. Murder is taking an innocent human life. Once we start taking one innocent life we open the door to do the same with other innocent lives.   

I do not have a right with my body or because of it to kill an innocent human being. Why does the woman?
Because the woman is making a choice about her OWN body. If you could carry embryos to term, I'd give you that choice to. As it is, you can only end the lives of PEOPLE. Not embryos.
I do not have the choice to kill/murder another innocent human being. I know it is not right to do so. Why do you think it is right the woman is given this choice and not me? Again, the unborn is not part of her body. I cannot do with my body as I like when that involves hurting or killing an innocent human being. Why is the woman permitted to do this? The unborns natural home is the womb.

Are you suggesting that is is okay because the unborn is dependent on the woman? If so we can discuss this issue. Are you saying that because someone is dependent on someone else the dependent being is expendable? Thus, the newborn or the two-year-old should also be expendable??

Well, you must be including yourself in this grouping too then since you would also save the one as opposed to the many.
If it isn't clear, I'm not included in that group because I don't think embryos are 1000 people. I think the child is a person. I've already said if you chose the embryos I'd have disagreed, but said "At least you're consistent that the embryos are in fact people, not just cells, as I see them." 

Then you need to document your support for when a person begins to exist and why you feel that way so we can examine it. 

Uh, cells instead of beings. You see the unborn as just human cells. Do you know what is the difference between a clump or group of cells and a human being? Please explain what is the difference so I can tackle the problem. 

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@SkepticalOne
Have they increased the time limits on debate on this site? I thought it was 72 hours per round.
The last debate I had with Ragnar, I believe, was one week per round for each participant instead of three days. I believe I also noticed a two week period. I'm not saying for sure that I am correct, or that if so it is still the case. 

Yes, I just checked: Time for argument --> One week

If that is still the case I am for that timespan or even a two week one. My wife is sick so I spend lots of time with her. Sometimes it takes more time away from my days than at other times. It depends on the day. 

PS. I am through with selective judges too. I think the elites are just as biased, just in a more sophisticated and subtle way. (^8

I would want an open debate and I would not think it fair of those that I have debated with or have judged my debates in the past judging our debate. I don't know if you feel the same way about yours? However, since an open debate always anyone to participate I will have no choice if they do judge it. 

SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@PGA2.0
Ok, I'll check it out.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@PGA2.0
You assume that certain data is factual, which is nowhere near the same as data being factual.

And your commitment and solidification is indicative of well established data conditioning.

And the older you get the harder it is to re-programme.

In that sense, all religious commitment is exactly the same process.

It's just how you decide to order the data that makes you believe that you are the one that is righteous.

And of course we all do exactly the same.

So, can Christians be pro-choice? 

Obviously. If that is how people choose to interpret and order the relevant data.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
You have argued that it is not a person. I have argued the opposite and have asked you to qualify whether a human being by nature is a personal being? 

You have not seen a reasonable response because this question doesn't make sense to me. Is a human being always a person, my answer is no. Before they're born they are embryos, zygotes, fetuses. Not people. Please clarify what a 'personal being by nature' means. 
Well, if you are not sure (i.e., "doesn't make sense" and "please clarify") then you tell me the difference between a human being and a person?

When two human beings mate the result is what? It is another human being, not another kind of being like a fish. So the human zygote, embryo, fetus, is biologically the same kind of being. Can a human being produce another kind of being? Thus its nature is what it is.   

I find your thinking here is ridiculous thinking and I borrow from the thoughts of others in explaining this to you. What are HUMAN embryos? What are HUMAN zygotes? What are HUMAN fetuses? They are human beings in various stages of growth. You were all of these STAGES during your grow cycle but that did not change what you were/are by nature, a human being and a personal being. You are you from conception to death, not someone else.

Greg Koukle drives this nature home with his examples of the Acorn. He asks, "When does an acorn become an oak?" He says, "An acorn never becomes an oak." An acorn is an oak." It is an oak in an immature form. By its nature, it is a tree and a specific kind of tree in an immature form. Thus, the specific embryo, zygote, fetus, is a particular and specific human being in an immature form, just different descriptions used of its stages of growth. It does not change its nature (what it is) as it goes through the stages of human growth. 

Human nature is a combination of characteristics and traits shared by all humans that make us human and different from other life forms. Healthy mature humans have the ability to reason, think morally, think in abstracts, love, empathize, and be self-aware. As humans, we have a personality that you become at conception and are now aware of that you retain throughout your life that makes you unique in how you express yourself, how you act, how you are. Even though you go through physiological changes in your appearance and stages of growth you remain the same in your identity. Even though your environment influences your personality, it does not change what it is, you. So, with the physiological changes you can point back to a sonogram before you were born, a picture of you one minute after birth, at graduation, and one of you celebrating your eightieth birthday and say, that was me when... Thus, you don't change your identity. Even if you changed your name the essence that makes you unique remains. 

Definition of person:
1: human, individual —sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes
5: the personality of a human being

Legal Definition of person:
1: natural person
2: the body of a human being

Medical Definition of a Person:
1. A living human.
2. The composite of characteristics that make up an individual personality; the self.
3. The living body of a human.
4. Physique and general appearance.

Definition of a Person:
1. a human being, whether an adult or child:
2. a human being as distinguished from an animal or a thing.

How is it that a woman can decide to kill/murder her innocent unborn human offspring but if she decided to kill her innocent two-year-old, twelve-year-old, or twenty-year-old it is murder? Why two different sets of rules?
Because an embryo is not offspring. It is an embryo. All the others are people. This is not hard
Yes, an embryo is the offspring of the male and female kind. It shares in the DNA of the two and that DNA is human DNA. 'Embryo' describes the offspring's level of development. 

Definition of offspring

1a: the product of the reproductive processes of an animal or plant : YOUNG, PROGENY.
b: CHILD

But how does that work in our environment, outside the womb?. 
Your environment is not part of anyone's body anymore and you are a person.
I never said the womb was part of the body of the unborn, yet it is where the unborn resides. The womb is part of the body of another being which shelters, feeds, nurtures, another human being. 

Definition of environment

1: the circumstances, objects, or conditions by which one is surrounded
2a: the complex of physical, chemical, and biotic factors (such as climate, soil, and living things) that act upon an organism or an ecological community and ultimately determine its form and survival
b: the aggregate of social and cultural conditions that influence the life of an individual or community

“Although it is customary to divide human development into prenatal and postnatal periods, it is important to realize that birth is merely a dramatic event during development resulting in a change in environment.”
The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology fifth edition, Moore and Persaud, 1993, Saunders Company, page 1

Rationally, you can't say that the unborn do not live in an environment called the womb. Now, if you want to be irrational then that is your business. 

the newborn is dependent and reliant on the same woman for its life. Why can't she just end its life because it is undesirable too?
Because, you guessed it, the newborn is a person. 
A person is an individual who has a different personality from everyone else. The unborn human is also an individual, containing the DNA from its conception that is different from every other human being except in the case of twinning. Tell me, what is the difference between the unborn one minute before birth as opposed to one minute after birth? It is its environment. How does that change its personal nature? You seem to think it acquires a personality at the magic moment of birth. Personality is built into the kind of thing the human is. You do not acquire humanity at birth just as you don't acquire personality at birth. It is part of the kind of thing you are. 

I think you confuse what one is by/with what one does. Even if I am not functioning as a person because I am asleep or in a coma, I am still that person. When I wake or come out of the coma I am still me. My function, what I do, does not make me a different being. I don't acquire a personal nature. I have built into my being a personal nature (what I am). The difference is in the level of development of that nature. 

Human beings in loo of what they are (their nature) are personal beings. 

there are very few good reasons why abortion is ever justifiable. 
THis makes it sound like you think there are also circumstances where it IS justifiable. If you think that, say that, but this seems disingenuous as it is.
I believe I answered this in another post. 

I do not have a right with my body or because of it to kill an innocent human being. Why does the woman?
Because the woman is making a choice about her OWN body. If you could carry embryos to term, I'd give you that choice to. As it is, you can only end the lives of PEOPLE. Not embryos.
What you are saying disgusts me for a specific reason. You are discriminating and devaluing the life of one class or group of human beings based on a distinction that you cannot prove as starting at birth, its personhood. If you can, then do so. If you can't, give the unborn the benefit of the doubt that it is a personal being that has not yet developed that personality. 

Well, you must be including yourself in this grouping too then since you would also save the one as opposed to the many.
If it isn't clear, I'm not included in that group because I don't think embryos are 1000 people. I think the child is a person. I've already said if you chose the embryos I'd have disagreed, but said "At least you're consistent that the embryos are in fact people, not just cells, as I see them." 
Your feeling and thinking do not change what it is. 

Here is another misconception many people have about the unborn, that they are just human cells or a group of human cells. The unborn is a unique, organism functioning as a whole, not just a human cell or group of cells. 
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@zedvictor4
You assume that certain data is factual, which is nowhere near the same as data being factual.

And your commitment and solidification is indicative of well established data conditioning.

And the older you get the harder it is to re-programme.

In that sense, all religious commitment is exactly the same process.

It's just how you decide to order the data that makes you believe that you are the one that is righteous.

And of course we all do exactly the same.

So, can Christians be pro-choice? 
They can be pro-choice but they are inconsistent with the teachings of the Bible. The unborn is a human being, scientifically documented, and it is an innocent human being. I could give your numerous verses that say that God does not condone the killing of innocent human beings but holds them guilty. 

Keep far from a false charge, and do not kill the innocent or the righteous, for I will not acquit the guilty.

As I said, I can give you the biblical teaching in numerous verses. Now, if you want to misinterpret that it is up to you. 

Obviously. If that is how people choose to interpret and order the relevant data.
There is a correct and incorrect way of understanding what anyone says. If there was not a correct interpretation communication would not take place. As a Christian, it is your responsibility to correctly understand what God has said. 
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@YeshuaBought
Don't have sex,and you won't get pregnant. Simple.
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@janesix
Simple, and ineffective. It completely discounts human nature.

20 days later

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
I'm pointing out the fault in your conviction: it's not really there if you're put into a difficult spot and forced to choose on it, you choose the baby not the embryo. Clearly if the embryos weren't embryos and were instead babies, you'd make a different choice: one three year old baby versus four crying newborns. I think you're probably a good person, my guess is you'd make a difficult choice and never forgive yourself, but I think you'd choose the four.
Yes, I would unless the three-year-old was my own.  There are always circumstances to weigh. 

This undercuts your entire argument: yes, there are circumstances to weigh. This is a pro-choice argument. Everything else is nonsense in your post: I don't see the embryos as people, as human beings, and neither do you. If you did, you'd be a monster for letting 1000 babies die to save 1. You're not. I'm not. THis is patently different from whatever weird killing scenario you're trying to make equivalent. Pro choce does not = THe Purge. Your last paragraph is talking about people, not embryos. 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@PGA2.0
There is a correct and an incorrect way of understanding what anyone says.
What you mean is, there are always two sides to an argument.

And God never said anything.

Nonetheless, your belief in tall tales is absolutely fine, as long as it stays inside your head.

You must remember though, that not everyone is as gullible as you.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@zedvictor4
There is a correct and an incorrect way of understanding what anyone says.
What you mean is, there are always two sides to an argument.
There is also truth and falsity.

Bare assertion. Prove it. 

Nonetheless, your belief in tall tales is absolutely fine, as long as it stays inside your head.
Ah, the censor police are out in force today!

You must remember though, that not everyone is as gullible as you.

Projection. 
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@PGA2.0
Prove it.
It is you that must prove the tall tale.

I have nothing to prove.

Censor.
Prove the God before attempting to condition others..

Projection.
Projection.

Truth or falsity.
You only assume that you know the difference.
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted

Bare assertion. Prove it. 

How funny is that? It's hilarious.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@zedvictor4
Prove it.
It is you that must prove the tall tale.
You're the one claiming it is a fairy tale. Where is your evidence?

I have nothing to prove.
Any time you make a claim the burden of proof shifts to the one making the claim. As for laying down evidence, I have done that on numerous threads and all I get are obscurations. 

Censor.
Prove the God before attempting to condition other.
Are you willing to debate the subject? If so, as soon as I'm done my current debate I will set one up.

Projection.
Projection.
Monkey see monkey do. 

Truth or falsity.
You only assume that you know the difference.

You assume I don't. 
disgusted
disgusted
Any time you make a claim the burden of proof shifts to the one making the claim. As for laying down evidence, I have done that on numerous threads and all I get are obscurations. 
You and every other godbotherer has only ever provided CLAIMS, never evidence.

disgusted
disgusted
God said...........................................(insert whatever)
Prove it.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@PGA2.0

It's not a case of chicken and egg is it?

The Tall Tales clearly came first.