Why Young Christians are Leaving the Church

Author: Stronn

Total: 563
Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
What fallacy is it when the wrongful use of a word by a large group of people is taken as the proper meaning?
No fallacy at all. Words mean what people agree they mean.

What fallacy is it to take the words of someone who is passingly informed about a subject to one who is a doctor of that subject?
Are you a doctor of religion, that we should take your definition over that of everyone else?

As I said, saying The Truth doesn't exist is a stupid and self defeating position, and that is what atheism toward my God means.
For the umpteenth time, that is not what God means.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@ethang5
You must think everyone  is lying about why they are leaving the Church. Is is really that difficult to understand that, for many people, religion holds little interest? Not because they want to be immoral and follow their own pleasures, not because they hate God, but for the simple reason that they do not believe the claims of the religion are true.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Stronn
No, I agree that their given reason is true, I'm saying they aren't Christian.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@ethang5
Well of course, not after they leave the Church.
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Stronn
They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
You say that The Truth isn't God...

Yet this is what theologians have been saying for thousands of years, including canonized saints, this is actually what the scriptures teach, this is what the dictionary confirms, and this is the only God I profess.

You pointing at reality and yelling, "I don't like what you are, you are this instead!" Is not an argument.

Go ahead and tear down straw man god. We monotheists have been tearing down the same strawmen gods for thousands of years.

But you've gone too far if you deny The One True God. The Supreme and Ultimate Reality.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
Of the sources you named, the only one I consider reliable is the dictionary, and I have never seen a dictionary that defines God as "The Truth."

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
Merriam-webster...

"capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality"

In other words, The Truth is God.

So when you deny my God, you are saying there is no truth, because my religion is TRUTH WORSHIP.

And though you may deny the cloud of witnesses backing me up, I am certainly not making any innovations in religion, this has always been True Religion since the very beginning, and there was never a time when my God was not Lord of All.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Mopac
Merriam-webster...

"capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality"
As I said, no dictionary I have seen defines God as "The Truth."
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stronn
That is what ultimate reality means.

Not simply truth, but the essence of truth... the most true...The Truth.

And it is certainly less of a mouthful, but in the context of this discussion, that is what that means. The Truth is the same as The Ultimate Reality, is the same as The Supreme Being.

If you actually take these words and examine what they mean, they mean the same thing. 

The Way It Is in Actuality 

The Truth.

And you can take just about any of St. Augustine's writings, and he always makes sure to identify God as being The Truth. This is the identity of God. 

So if you say that God is anything other than the God I believe, I will not compromise or budge on this, because you are WRONG. I wouldn't ask you to start treating a 5 as if it was a 3 now would I? If you do not accept the identity of The One True God, you might as well be smashing idols, because you certainly aren't talking about my God. 

.There is no argument against God that can stand.

9 days later

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
It's totally understandable since old people are the most religious. You all should see religion as a way to settle down spiritually, something that young people don't think about.

Suffice to go to churches and see what kind of people you find.

IlDiavolo
IlDiavolo
-->
@Stronn
I disagree. It could happen in some cases but not in everyone.

Religion is more of a spiritual aid, which means a way to find peace or something like that.

249 days later

3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@Stronn
That's not what you mean because you know it makes your position stupid.

So what do you do? You debate people who don't really understand theology and shrink away when someone who does tells you that you've been debating superstition of God rather than God.
You are committing the fallacy of appeal to motive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_motive
I commonly refer to this as "dime-store psychoanalysis" or "the mind reader fallacy".

Critical thinking alone will get you to truth about as well as tying a bunch of bottle rockets together to construct a space shuttle to the moon.

Critical thinking without a love of the truth will simply lead you to reject everything, which actually takes about as much intelligence and thought as believing eveything.
I think you are confusing critical thinking with skepticism. Critical thinking is a method for evaluating information in order to make rational, objective judgements about what to believe.
Do you think that clear standards of evidence and skepticism are prerequisite to what you call critical thinking?

Also, do you really believe that humans can make "objective judgments"?
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@ethang5
But the actual number of Christians in the world is growing, not declining.
Good point.  The number of christians is only declining in the english speaking parts of the world.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Gods are pretty cool but .  BUT they ain't no Google. 
No passages in the bible talk about the Google, it's almost like god didn't know about the intermanets. 

I have however ask the Google about the MANYYYYYY groups and gods and well , what doesn't it know ?
If Gods ummmmm,  omniscient or whatever that word is.
GOOGLE IS omni times a thousand and thirty two, and a half. 
PLUSSSSSSSS asking and " listening " to Gods isn't cool FULL STOP 

I have run many tests on this subject and EVERY GOD AND EVERY HOLY TEXT has nothing on the first page of a Google.
So um yeah. 
If anyone has any questions for the Google i will be more then happy to ask for them. 
Me and the goog are pretty close so feel free to ask me anything and i will hit him up.  
Good game.
Good game.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Drunken rants by an atheist afraid of his mommy
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Stronn
“Learning about evolution when I went away to college”
“Religion is the opiate of the people”
“Rational thought makes religion go out the window”
“Lack of any sort of scientific or specific evidence of a creator”
“I just realized somewhere along the line that I didn’t really believe it”
“I’m doing a lot more learning, studying and kind of making decisions myself rather than listening to someone else.”

Exactly. It is just a crying shame the mopacs of the world can't force themselves to do the same.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@3RU7AL
Do you think that clear standards of evidence and skepticism are prerequisite to what you call critical thinking?
I wouldn't call them prerequisites. Components, rather.

Yes.

I don't mean to suggest that people are able to be truly objective. But, by applying logic and reason, one can make the same judgement that would be made if one were truly objective.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Stephen
“I’m doing a lot more learning, studying and kind of making decisions myself rather than listening to someone else.”

Exactly. It is just a crying shame the mopacs of the world can't force themselves to do the same.

I spent a greater chunk of my life leaning on my own understanding and learning on my own than listening to direction.

I still study and learn a great deal. I certainly have to make decisions. I listen to council. If no one else, I am married!

Really what you would have me do is, like dog returning to their own vomit, return to the conceit of my youth.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Stronn
I wouldn't call them prerequisites. Components, rather.
Please detail the method you refer to as "critical thinking".

Yes.
And by "yes" you mean, almost?

I don't mean to suggest that people are able to be truly objective. But, by applying logic and reason, one can make the same judgement that would be made if one were truly objective.
How do you quantify the gap between a sort-of-objective statement and a "truly objective" statement?
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@3RU7AL
There is so much to critical thinking that I could hardly do it justice in a single post. I will defer to this webpage.

I already said what I mean by humans being capable of making objective judgments. I mean they can reach the same conclusion that would be reached by someone who was truly objective.

How do you quantify the gap between a sort-of-objective statement and a "truly objective" statement?
I don't. I know of no way to quantify difference in meaning.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stronn
Atheists hate theists. Not gods.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Congratulations on your superpower.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stronn
If you don't like getting called on it don't post.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
If you don't like getting lied about don't post.
Corrected for accuracy.

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Stronn
Not my fault you are what you are. 
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
No, but it's your fault you lie about atheists.
disgusted
disgusted
@witchypoo
Stupid people don't know what they're talking about.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Stronn
Its stupid liberals who say the church is evil just because we feel that being gay is a sin even though we are taught to love everyone, even the sinner.

Stupid stupid stupid liberals trying to ruin the power of the church
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Vader
It's a peculiar kind of love to say that you love someone but think one of their inborn traits is a sin.