Why Young Christians are Leaving the Church

Author: Stronn

Total: 563
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@Stronn
Militant atheists are a small minority of all atheists. Most atheists just want to be left alone by religion, and that includes teaching pseudoscience to their children in a thinly veiled attempt to indoctrinate them.
I've said many times that militant atheists are a minority. 

Are religious people not leaving you alone?

Do you think theories like the multiverse should be mentioned in public science classes, or should that be taboo?

Whether ID is science or religion was not at all a side issue in the Dover trial. It was the central issue. Mandating a particular religious view be taught alongside actual science in a biology class is clearly unconstitutional. If ID's proponents had instead wanted it taught in a philosophy class, that would be an entire different matter.

You have it a bit mixed up. Whether or not ID is science is definitely a side issue. The court of law cannot make decisions on what is and isn't science. The judge is not a scientist.  The court case was about whether or not teaching ID is constitutional. So yes, whether or not ID is a religion (or a religious argument) was the central issue.

And because it was judged as unconstitutional, placing it in a philosophy class is unconstitutional as well because it's still in a public school. How then can that be a different matter? If teaching ID in a public school is unconstitutional, why would you think that it would be okay in the philosophy department?
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@RoderickSpode
You missed my point. The article doesn't give an exhaustive list of why people leave the church. You pretty much claimed it does, and that any other reason provided is a misunderstanding.
Where did I ever imply the article gives an exhaustive list? I said it describes the real reason most young people are leaving the church. Most does not mean all.

But your topic is not really about why people leave the church. You like that particular article because you feel it bests promotes the real idea you want to convey that humans are leaving the church due to progressive intelligence, critical thinking, etc. And then everything else is some misunderstanding.
I posted the article because it points out something that many theists can't seem to wrap their heads around--most non-believers don't have some ulterior motive for their non-belief.

Are you still talking about young people now, or including everyone? It might be the case with young people because they're the most impressionable. If you're talking about everyone, that's a different story. 
I'm talking about the young people, the subject of the article.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@RoderickSpode
Are religious people not leaving you alone?
For the most part I have no issue with religious people. I am a firm supporter of separation of church and state, however. When religious people attempt to cross that line, I take issue. When they attempt to corrupt science with religious doctrine, that crosses the line. When they attempt to force religion into schools in order to indoctrinate my children, that crosses the line.  

Do you think theories like the multiverse should be mentioned in public science classes, or should that be taboo?
I have no problem with mentioning such conjectures, as long as it's made clear that it is sheer conjecture. In fact, I have no problem mentioning ID, as long as it's made clear that it is pseudoscience. In fact, it might be instructive to spend class time showing what pseudoscience looks like, to help reinforce what true science is. In high school, though, there are probably better uses of limited class time.

You have it a bit mixed up. Whether or not ID is science is definitely a side issue. The court of law cannot make decisions on what is and isn't science. The judge is not a scientist.  The court case was about whether or not teaching ID is constitutional. So yes, whether or not ID is a religion (or a religious argument) was the central issue.
Whether or not it is science is crucial to whether or not it is religion. If it is science, then it is not religion.

And because it was judged as unconstitutional, placing it in a philosophy class is unconstitutional as well because it's still in a public school. How then can that be a different matter? If teaching ID in a public school is unconstitutional, why would you think that it would be okay in the philosophy department?
Because then ID's proponents would be claiming that ID is part of philosophy, and you would have different arguments and counter-arguments.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
We aren't having the same experience.

The reality I am experiencing is different than the reality you are experiencing.

So are you going to acknowledge this or make an appeal to solipsism?

What is an appeal to solipsism? And so what if i made one?
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Your experience isn't all that is real.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@RoderickSpode
We can actually just say, some people will not become Christians because the Bible presents a theme (sin) that they don't want anything to do with. If they became a Christian, they would have to  embrace the sin concept. Right?
Okay, now I see what you're driving at. No, I don't think this is at all an accurate portrayal for several reasons. First of all, what percentage of religious adherents are  purely atheistic and choose their religion based on its menu of prohibitions? Have you ever met anyone who, when asked, "how did you choose your religion," said "I looked at what I was allowed to do, and when I found one I could put up with, I decided that must be true?" Compare that number to, say, the number of Christians who had Christian parents. And no, Christians expressly DO NOT have to embrace the sin concept, it's like the leading thing they love about Jesus! He sucked all those sins up for them! You must be aware of the doctrine "once saved, always saved." Similarly, no atheist says "I sort of believe in God, but if I could only jack off without him getting so mad...you know what, I'll be an atheist, solved!" {ZIP!} I misunderstood what you were implying about premarital sex, I thought you were saying that Christians are super moral because they're monogamists (they're not, as the bible shows) and therefore they don't have premarital sex (they do, as every study about the topic ever conducted shows). 

ID shouldn't be taught in science class because it isn't science, as it cannot be tested or demonstrated. As far as "it opens up too many questions," that's half the problem: it opens up too many questions that do not have answers that can be...TESTED OR DEMONSTRATED. I would sure love to hear you detail what you think the ID portion of science would sound like as a teacher, and what EXACTLY it teaches. What does it explain? Don't confuse how with why, here, a common issue. "How does the sun shine" and "Why does the sun shine" have exactly the same answer. "How was the earth created" and "Why was the earth created" do not. Okay, so we can leave it out of science entirely as it is not in any way subject to the examination of the scientific method, agree? Let's look at it in a philosophical but non-denominational way.

Philosophically, "the cosmos might have been created by an intelligent agent" is as far as you can go in a public school, you figure, in order to be fair to all faiths. Okay, so then what would a universe with a creator look like and why? The WHY is the philosophical portion, as far as I can tell. How would a philosophy teacher help students learn to think about this portion? You won't like the answers. I'm all for including it in philosophical discussion, but I bet that only wins more converts to atheism, at least among the critical thinking crowd. We can play the questions out if you like, but you never seemed to enjoy that as much as I do, and you disappear when I do it, and I like having you around. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
There are plenty of people who reject God because they don't like being told that their sexual behavior is sinful.

In fact, it is my observation that pride in one's perversity is a big reason these days for rejecting God.

It doesn't help that sexual behavior is being equated with race by these pride lovers, which is ASININE.

Mopac
Mopac
I know that when I was younger, I did not like the idea of somebody telling me that sex outside of marriage wss wrong. I just figured, hey, 2 consenting adults. Sexual liberation. Get with the times. What's the big deal?
And there certainly was no difference to me about whether the two consenting adults had different genitalia or not. If everyone is getting off, it's ok!

And that type of attitude is the reason why there are so many orphans running around. It is the reason why countless babies are being sacrificed before they even had a chance to be born. It is the reason why people have such unhealthy relationships and why divorce  rates are  skyrocketing.

Why? Because this is what happens in a society that glorifies SELF CENTERDNESS AND PRIDE.

What does good religion teach? Thanksgiving. The antidote to pride and self entitlement!

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
And that type of attitude is the reason why there are so many orphans running around. It is the reason why countless babies are being sacrificed before they even had a chance to be born. It is the reason why people have such unhealthy relationships and why divorce  rates are  skyrocketing.
Data please. "Sacrificed" is a strange word to use, but I get it, you have to use that charged language rather than just say "aborted." 

Also, how do you account for the correlation in the US between teen birth rate and STD transmission with the states with the highest percentage of Christian identified residents? Could these phenomena have anything to do with less than fulsome sexual education at an early age? Not teaching about birth control? 

In fact, it is my observation that pride in one's perversity is a big reason these days for rejecting God.
Is this a fact, or is that you think this is what you've observed is a fact? How did you figure this out, did you go up to a bunch of people and ask?

It doesn't help that sexual behavior is being equated with race by these pride lovers, which is ASININE.
da fuq are you talking about?

And that type of attitude is the reason why there are so many orphans running around. 
Orphans = children whose parents are both dead. How did you figure that unmarried consenting adults having sex according to their desire murders children's parents?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
An orphan is a child who is missing at least 1 parent.

Abortion is clearly child sacrifice, as a child's life is being sacrificed.

We live in a very sexualized and secularized culture. It  really matters little what statistics say about places with nominal Christian populations. Especially when these nominal Christians are engaging in SEXUAL IMMORALITY, which is not indicative of Christian ethics.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
An orphan is a child who is missing at least 1 parent.

I don't know where you're from, but in the US, that's not the usage of the word "orphan." You don't, for example, find yourself in an "orphanage" if your mom dies and your dad's still alive and present in your life. 

It  really matters little what statistics say about places with nominal Christian populations.
Yeah, I notice this a lot, especially to Christians. They really don't care what data says, they're going to believe whatever they want in spite of it anyway. Seems it's a lifestyle. 

Especially when these nominal Christians are engaging in SEXUAL IMMORALITY, which is not indicative of Christian ethics.
Hey, the no true Scotsman! Get off RodSpode's corner bro. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
No true scottsman

Every Christian hating fallacy misidentifier's go to.

By all means, dismiss everything I am saying. It takes just as much thought to dismiss on hearing as it does to believe on hearing.

None.

Sexual immorality is a symptom of idolatry. Idolatry clouds judgement. It is a defilement of the nous. If you can't see how sexual immorality is not only real, but very harmful, even just based on the evident truths that I pointed, I am not going to convince you otherwise. Especially if this is your fetish.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
I'm not saying all sexual acts are moral acts. There is no such thing as a sexually immoral act between two enthusiastic, informed, consenting adults. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
This is denial of sexual immorality.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
Define it, then. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
I will at least give you an example.

When two enthusiastic, informed, consenting adults have sex with each other.... and they are both married... and not to eachother.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Your experience isn't all that is real.
Sure. But it is always my experience. Who else is looking through my eyes? Who else is in my mind? Reality is what i see. Any other alternative is the same as dying and being gone forever. As long as i see through these eyes and experience, a portion - a large portion sometimes, is a reality that's only true to me. Of course i share reality, but what about all those hours of dreaming, day-dreaming, in my mind... those are my reality too. I'm not a hard Solipsist ... but i do think everyone has a reality within themselves that is their own.  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
If you acknowledge that others have an experience, I wouldn't really say you are a solipsist. 

Your experience is your personal relationship with God. It is an experience unique to you. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
When two enthusiastic, informed, consenting adults have sex with each other.... and they are both married... and not to eachother

What makes that immoral?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Your experience is your personal relationship with God. It is an experience unique to you. 
If that's how you see it i really have no problem with it. I personally don't know much or care much if there is a god or not... but if there is, and it's a good god, i would gladly have a friendship relationship with said god. Other than that, i'm more worried about my experience(s). That's what matters in the end of the day bc everything i have to deal with is through my eyes. Unless one day someone hacks my mind or something, but that's a different story. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
To you morality is a matter of aesthetics because being a nihilist, it is all arbitrary.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
There is no good without God. God is good all the time. All the time God is good. The most good.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Can't you read?

When two enthusiastic, informed, consenting adults have sex with each other.... and they are both married... and not to eachother

What makes that immoral?
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
There is no good without God. God is good all the time. All the time God is good. The most good.
Well then, i would shake his hand. So i'm not really worried past that. God would know who i am and what my path is... other than that, he would also know i don't need him to look over me... i got this. 

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
That appears to me to be a loose attempt at a mechanical conception of human beings, no more. I do not believe you can be absolutely sure of that and your worldview can't make sense of it (i.e., recreate how consciousness comes from something lacking it; how life stems from non-life).

No, I can't be absolutely sure of it because I wasn't present when it happened, but everything in my response is actually supported by research and evidence.
But you said, "I'll give you the answers we can absolutely be sure of..."

Yet you were not there. Thus, your answers conflict if "being there" is the criteria. As for research and evidence, it is interpreted. The evidence is built on paradigms. 

It definitely makes sense, but you're not talking about making sense of something: you're talking about recreating something. Fair enough. I will consider your position once you recreate the process through which God created everything, or provide evidence of a similar caliber to that end. Me potentially being wrong lends no credence at all to your theory somehow being correct by default.
He spoke the physical realm into existence from His Mind. 

Psalm 33:9 (NASB)
For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.

The evidence is the bible which has many verifiable and commonsense evidence.

Second, if you are wrong about science as your ultimate god and reason there are consequences. 
Is there though?

Sure. If your wrong and the Bible is God's word then this life is not the end and you will be separated from God forever. 

I guess you're a faith supersedes works person, in which case, your god can suck it because that's an idiotic system.
It depends, on what sense you are using the word faith? Are you questioning whether my belief relies on faith alone or on faith and works? If you mean my worldview on origins relies more on faith than on how things work, I would say no more than yours. 

As for it being idiotic, it can make sense of existence. I challenge you to do the same with yours. 

Guess I'll take my chances, seeing as my multiple blasphemies have not resulted in me being struck with boils or anything yet.
You are applying these standards to yourself, you who are a secondary audience of address. The primary audience no longer exists and the times have changed. Nevertheless, God promises to hold us responsible for our sin in one of two ways. Either we answer for our own merits and shortcomings or we rely on the work of another - Jesus Christ.

You know this is Pascal's wager. It's a terrible argument for any god, much less yours.
I rely on His word as my ultimate authority. What is your ultimate authority - yourself - science or some scientist(s)? Which one(s)? How well do they make sense of your existence? You are a biological bag of atoms that reacts to its environment in a determined way. There is no ultimate meaning for your existence yet you continually act as if there is.  

Also, if we're BOTH wrong, then there's consequences for you too, right? What are the chances you're wrong? By numbers, they're not very much different from mine. You're one god away from me.
What consequences when I'm dead? No justice or accountability. Thus, do what you can get away with doing since it doesn't matter. 

I've examined the Bible and worldviews for around forty years now. I keep probing others to make sense of a worldview devoid of God and I do not believe they can. So the question is whether you want to make sense of existence and origins or not? I think you constantly betray your worldview by borrowing from mine. You do this in morality and when you speak of qualitative values, for one. So your worldview is inconsistent. That spells trouble. You do it in another way also. You presume that random chance happenstance can produce what we see. You presume that something devoid of mind, devoid of intelligence, devoid of order, purpose, and sustainability can do the things you take for granted such as science. Why should we expect uniformity of nature? Why do we discover laws that explain this sustainability and uniformity? How can you say that what takes place yesterday and today will take place in the future if there is no intent behind the universe? You take it for granted that it will. You reason that because things have remained consistent in the past and present they will in the future too. Why? There is no reason or intent behind them doing so.yet they do.  

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x

Third, origins is an interpretation of what happened. We are in the present looking back at the past and interpreting the data. We are limited in our knowledge and are speculating on the way things were. We build models and try to fit as many positives into those models as they will allow. The anomalies we put aside for a later date as long as there is not an overwhelming amount we continue to build on that paradigm. Once the anomalies become to many we abandon the model in search of a new one that better explains the conditions.   
Right. Except I don't see how this statement creates a model where there's any unknowable, unseeable, untestable, undemonstrable being that somehow created everything. If it did, I don't know how that model would suddenly default to being Jesus, either.  

Well, there would be intent and purpose behind the creation. There would be a Mind who has revealed how things are the way they are. And it makes sense too. Also, from an ultimate, necessary Mind comes other minds. From an intentional and purposeful Being comes other intentional and purposeful beings. From the LIVING ultimate Being comes other living beings. From the loving God comes other beings capable of love. From a good Being comes the standard for morality. We have an ultimate, absolute, objective standard that is best and from which we can compare morality against. Just because you can't see God does not disqualify Him from existing, nor any of your other qualifications. The biblical God has revealed Himself, according to the words within. He has given us ways to verify the words are true. Prophecy is one of my favourite verifications. It is a way of testing the truth of the Bible. It is a way we use to demonstrate and verify His word, via history. 

The model defaults to Jesus because the Bible reveals it is most reasonable to believe He is God.  

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Well then, i would shake his hand. So i'm not really worried past that. God would know who i am and what my path is... other than that, he would also know i don't need him to look over me... i got this
Quite the contrary, God has been watching over you all this time. You can do nothing on your own. He calls you, and desires for you to know Him. He loves you.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@ludofl3x
Christianity can make sense of origins. 

Please show how. I bet your argument boils down to "Well, God did it. Therefore, sense." Please, please, please prove otherwise. 

God gives us a sensible reason for our existence and why things are the way they are. Prophecy is reasonable confirmation. Morality has an objective and best standard as a comparison. Origins are explained.

A universe devoid of God lacks the why. It gives understanding to subjective beings who do not see the whole picture nor understand how everything works in every detail. Thus there is no ultimate authority, no ultimate meaning, no reason why we are except "it just happened."  
disgusted
disgusted
I rely on His word as my ultimate authority.
This is a lie, you rely on the words of the ignorant, primitive, superstitious savages who wrote the bible.

disgusted
disgusted
golfer
The shape of the hole is amazing.