Talking to God

Author: Castin

Total: 138
PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
What hope do you have to offer someone like my wife for the future?
Not the false hope you and your silly book offer. Offer her the truth, she's going to die and that is all there is, the fairy tales of the IPSS are lies. Why don't you help her on her way to heaven if that is the future you offer? Paradise as opposed to suffering. You don't really believe do you? Or are you too selfish?do you? Or are you too selfish?

Thanks for those reassuring words of hope. I'll ignore the rest.

Both of us trust Jesus as Lord and Savior. What you think on the matter is secondary to who we trust in.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted

And what is your explanation for what you apparently see as a wrong? In a dog eat dog universe only those who are strong survive. The rest are the weakest link. Millions starve on this globe because we as humans are greedy, selfish, self-seeking, and do not obey God's commands. One person can only do so much before they run out of resources unless you are in a group like Gates and Soros. Do they need the mass personal fortunes they have?

I, personally, do not have much extra, nor would I tell you what I do with what I have. It is not your business. It is between God and me.
Meaningless drivel.
In a meaningless universe, via your worldview!

And for the millions starving in Yemen he does nothing, amazing ain't it?
Is talking exclusively about your god being willing to give you a few pennies but unwilling to do anything for the millions starving in Yemen.
And what are you doing about it while you point the finger at me?

disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
So you've been promoted to god now, lol. The hubris of people like you and thang is mind boggling, no matter what the subject what you read is all about you. I haven't mentioned you, but your narcissism will not be ignored. You poor thing.

And for the millions starving in Yemen he does nothing, amazing ain't it?
Is talking exclusively about your god being willing to give you a few pennies but unwilling to do anything for the millions starving in Yemen.
Talking about god means talking about you, to you, bow to yourself in worship.
I'm pointing the finger at your god.
He loves you so much he gives you pennies, he loves the Yemenies so much he starves millions to death. Such a loving god for well off Americans.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
No one is pointing a finger at you, PG.   Gus's point is that you wrote:

"I could also tell you of how God has looked after us financially in times of need and many other circumstances."  so it seems God cares more about you than he does about thousands of starving kids in Yemen.

I don't know what financial assistence you got, but I am willing to bet it wasn't 10 dollar bills miraculously appearing in your wallet.   You were helped by people, not God, and if the starving in Yemen are to be helped it has to be people who do it because there is no god.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
In a meaningless universe, via your worldview!
What you wrote had nothing to do with the post you mistakenly thought you were replying to, hence meaningless drivel

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Tradesecret
God never mentions that rape is wrong so you have no right to believe it's wrong. According to your "objective morality" as laid down by the IPSS rape isn't wrong.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser
No one is pointing a finger at you, PG.   Gus's point is that you wrote:

"I could also tell you of how God has looked after us financially in times of need and many other circumstances."  so it seems God cares more about you than he does about thousands of starving kids in Yemen.

I don't know what financial assistence you got, but I am willing to bet it wasn't 10 dollar bills miraculously appearing in your wallet.   You were helped by people, not God, and if the starving in Yemen are to be helped it has to be people who do it because there is no god.

My wife is sick. It was either go back to work or find a way to meet our obligations and stay home and look after her. I asked for God's help. I won't supply the details here since it is personal. God provided for us. I do not dismiss it to mere luck. Call it what you want. We get by.

God has given men over to their evil. Evil is a testimony that man needs God. Humanity cannot solve their problems without Him. Evil is a reminder of the Fall and of God's solution for evil. When God created the world He said it was good. What caused evil was a decision by Adam. We inherit a nature that has a proclivity towards evil. Relativism is an evil. Romans 1 answers the question of why there is evil in this world yet not in God's kingdom. 

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth...21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.
24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
For this
reason

God gave them up to dishonorable passions...
28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29 They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips,30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless.32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Do you notice a pattern here? Humanity does its own thing. They suppress the truth of God for wickedness. Who is causing the evil? It is men bent on power and disregard for others. God has given us everything we need to escape this world system of evil. He judges it in His time for we must all give an account before Him for what we do in this lifetime. 

This is what atheism does, IMO. It exchanges the truth of God for a lie and replaces it with idols that humanity builds and worships. God says, okay, if you (generic for whoever does this) don't want to know Me then see how you fair. God lets our track record be a witness for us. I turn the problem on the atheist who denies God. Okay, if there is no God then how do you explain the evil in the world, how we as humans can let millions starve? How can we let wars go on and on and on and on and on and on? Why, because without God humanity has no objective, absolute, universal standard and God lets humanity see the consequences of living as though He does not exist. You, as an atheist, why are you not solving this problem and the myriad of other problems that greed and evil have created? Why are you exploiting the earth? Why do you exploit your fellow human? Why do you take billions of lives of the unborn while all the time pleading that all humans should be treated equally? Why are there so many of the problems in the world as listed in verses 29-31? Verse 32 and others give the answer - Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

Because people refuse to change, people refuse to acknowledge God He gives them over to the consequences of their actions. Yet for those who find Him, He promises them that even though they live in an evil world they will be with Him in paradise on the flip side and experience Him now. So, evil witnesses to God.  

And I invite you to tell me why evil exists since you deny God??? 

I invite you to tell me why you attribute to a non-existent being the evil in the world? Such thinking does not make sense.

I asked Disgusted to do likewise but I have learned for the most part to ignore him because he is so bent on a one-way discussion - his way, his agenda, that he seldom answers my questions. I'll say no more since I believe in freedom of speech and I'm trying hard to obey the rules of conduct this site has created. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
He gave you the money you wanted and for the starving millions in Yemen he gives nothing, stop your desperate attempts at justifying your god's obvious hatred of the starving children of YEMEN. Explain this god's (who is perfect love) preferential treatment for a well of American and his absolute disdain for the people of YEMEN.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted

He gave you the money you wanted and for the starving millions in Yemen he gives nothing, stop your desperate attempts at justifying your god's obvious hatred of the starving children of YEMEN. Explain this god's (who is perfect love) preferential treatment for a well of American and his absolute disdain for the people of YEMEN.
I acknowledge Him as God because He has been merciful to me. My faith came from my hearing His message, yet many do not hear it. That is His grace to me which I am most grateful for. I point you to the same God. Read His word. Ask to understand Him. Believe He exists and is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, or don't. If you don't believe He exists you have nothing to curse Him about, yet you do. 

Is humanity getting what it wants, since it does not want God? I say it is. I have explained in part why the world knows evil in my address to Keith.

God has spoken. God has given humanity everything it needs to know Him and enjoy a relationship with Him. Instead, they become wise in their own eyes and ignore Him, deny Him, admit to themselves He does not exist while all the time cursing this non-existent God. Go figure??? I have nothing more to say to you. Your anger does not provide for a reasonable conversation, IMO. So I choose to ignore your posts for the most part. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
I acknowledge Him as God because He has been merciful to me
And yet you can't defend his abominable treatment of the babies starving to death because your god gave you a dollar, you hero.
And look the golfer runs away again, oh how could it be.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Everyone "runs away" but it isn't because you stink. No, the fault is with everyone else.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
Ahahahaha, what a funny little frightened wannabe you are. As everyone can see those who run away are shit scared of even attempting to respond to my posts.
You poor little hump.
ethang5
ethang5
Sure. Everyone "runs away" but it isn't because you stink. No, the fault is with everyone else, not you.

Everyone calls you a troll, but they are all wrong, and you are innocent. You just have great questions.

OCD and delusion. OK.

keithprosser
keithprosser
I invite you to tell me why you attribute to a non-existent being the evil in the world? Such thinking does not make sense.

You are right it doesn't make sense - so why do you think that i think that way?   You are not the only person with sense!

There is no such thing as evil.   There are things that are evil but that isn't the same thing. Evil is an adjective, not a noun.

Consider a smallpox germ - why does it exist?  There is no reason; but if DNA gets together in such away that it's replication causes disease then that disease arises.   Evil did not cause the smallpox germ to exist, and goodness did not cause it to un-exist beause there is no go good or evil - things 'just are'.   The universe doesn't care - the world will still orbit the sun even if everyone dies of smallpox.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@ethang5
How is your wealth accumulation progressing? Just the way Jesus taught, you hypocrite?
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

You are right it doesn't make sense - so why do you think that i think that way?   You are not the only person with sense!
I did not realize this post was directed at me since I was not sent a notification. 

There is no such thing as evil.   There are things that are evil but that isn't the same thing. Evil is an adjective, not a noun.
Not following your logic here. 

Consider a smallpox germ - why does it exist?  There is no reason; but if DNA gets together in such away that it's replication causes disease then that disease arises.   Evil did not cause the smallpox germ to exist, and goodness did not cause it to un-exist beause there is no go good or evil - things 'just are'.   The universe doesn't care - the world will still orbit the sun even if everyone dies of smallpox.

In the biblical sense, evil is ascribed to an act or actions of a mindful being or beings. There must be intent there to do wrong. A natural disaster does not in itself maliciously or intentionally set out to harm someone. With natural disasters or cancers there are three choices for it that I see: 1) The harm just happens, or 2) God directs the action in judgment I.e., It is a curse of the Fall that was set in motion for the consequence of sin, and/or 3) for the purpose of a greater good.

1. uncountable noun
Evil is a powerful force that some people believe to exist, and which causes wicked and bad things to happen.
We are still being attacked by the forces of evil.
There's always a conflict between good and evil in his plays.
Synonyms: wickedness, badwrongvice   More Synonyms of evil
2. uncountable noun
Evil is used to refer to all the wicked and bad things that happen in the world.
He could not, after all, stop all the evil in the world.
...those who see television as the root of all evil.

3. countable noun
If you refer to an evil, you mean a very unpleasant or harmful situation or activity.
Higher taxes may be a necessary evil.
...a lecture on the evils of alcohol. [+ of]
4. adjective
If you describe someone as evil, you mean that they are very wicked by nature and take pleasure in doing things that harm other people.
...the country's most evil terrorists.
She's an evil woman.
5. adjective
If you describe something as evil, you mean that you think it causes a great deal of harm to people and is morally bad.
After 1760 few Americans refrained from condemning slavery as evil.
They are setting an evil example for their children.
6. adjective
If you describe something as evil, you mean that you think it is influenced by the devil.
I think this is an evil spirit at work.
According to local folklore it is an evil place.

7. adjective
You can describe a very unpleasant smell as evil.
Both men were smoking evil-smelling pipes.

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted

Argumentum ad
misericordiam

(argument or appeal to pity).
The English translation pretty much says it all. Example: "Think of all the poor, starving Ethiopian children! How could we be so cruel as not to help them?" The problem with such an argument is that no amount of special pleading can make the impossible possible, the false true, the expensive costless, etc.

Who put those people in such a situation. It was the greed and selfishness of those in power in two nations who are fighting an ideologic battle.

"The famine is the direct result of the Saudi Arabian-led intervention in Yemen and blockade. Yemen was already the most impoverished nation in the Arabian Peninsula and the Middle East, and Al Hudaydah one of the poorest cities of Yemen, but the war and the naval blockade by the Saudi-led coalition and the United States Navy made the situation much worse. Fishing boats, the main livelihood of Al Hudaydah's residents, were destroyed by Saudi airstrikes, leaving them without any means to provide for their families. As a result, one child dies every ten minutes on average. A UN panel of experts found that Saudi Arabia is purposefully obstructing the delivery of humanitarian aid into Yemen.
Saudi Arabia was reported to be deliberately targeting means of food production and distribution in Yemen by bombing farmsfishing boatsports, food storages, food factories, and other businesses in order to exacerbate famine."

What do you propose I do and what are you doing? I was not even aware of the situation until you brought it to my attention. God allows evil for a purpose, that good will come of it. He judges a nation for evil since nothing happens without His sovereign will. Any child killed will be restored to life in a perfect place. There is goodness in the world, but this is also a wicked place because humanity ignores and rebels against God and His goodness. Although God is in control He allows us volition to find out for ourselves, although many of us never do. We are not puppets, but we are accountable. We cause our own strife. When the sins of a people reached their limit in biblical times He brought judgment on them that His purpose would stand. That purpose was the most important in the history of the world. So, even though I don't completely understand the reason for some suffering, neither do you, God is in control and He is not evil. Say what you will against Him now but one day you will stand before Him either via His mercy and grace or on your own merit. If you can't figure out that evil is lack of His light and goodness then you can only hope you are right in your judgments. Best wishes to you. 

I do not enjoy our dialogs. You seldom answer my questions, take them too maliciously, poke fun of the sacred, and against Someone that I hold in the highest regard. IMO, there is no tolerance here. You get too emotional. Having said that I appreciate that there is a still a freedom to express what you want to as long as you abide by the rules of this site.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
What do you propose I do
I don't propose you do anything, it's never all about you. Narcissism doesn't look good on godists but it's always visible.
I keep asking why your god gives a fuck about your need for a penny and couldn't care less about the millions of starving children in Yemen.
You just keep running away.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@PGA2.0
OK, instead of 'good' and 'evil' consider 'smallness' and 'bigness'.   Smallness is an attribute of mice, bigness is an attribute of elephants.  If bigness was a thing then you could buy some 'bigness' on e-bay and add it to a mouseand turn it into an elephant.  you can't rally do that because   smallness and bigness are gramatically nouns, but there are no such thing as 'smallness'and no such thing as 'bigness'.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@disgusted
What do you propose I do
I don't propose you do anything, it's never all about you. Narcissism doesn't look good on godists but it's always visible.
I keep asking why your god gives a fuck about your need for a penny and couldn't care less about the millions of starving children in Yemen.
You just keep running away.

So, you make a big production out of me not doing anything and when I ask what you want me to do you say nothing. You just used the whole scenario to rile up emotions. Please, find someone else to discuss with.  
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@PGA2.0
You finally figured it out.
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@keithprosser

OK, instead of 'good' and 'evil' consider 'smallness' and 'bigness'.   Smallness is an attribute of mice, bigness is an attribute of elephants.  If bigness was a thing then you could buy some 'bigness' on e-bay and add it to a mouseand turn it into an elephant.  you can't rally do that because   smallness and bigness are gramatically nouns, but there are no such thing as 'smallness'and no such thing as 'bigness'.
Bigness and smallness are words we use to communicate size. As such they have a specific meaning. They form a word picture to describe something. So does the word evil. It conveys or expresses a concept of moral wickedness, of acts that should not be done, something that is reprehensible, sickening, disgusting. Are you saying that there are no such things?

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

You finally figured it out.
What was that? (^8
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@PGA2.0
Jesus Christ people are stupid. 
PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@Polytheist-Witch

Jesus Christ people are stupid. 
So, you too are trying to use an emotional argument to appeal to the reader with your stereotyping, sweeping generalizations and hasty conclusions, and a whole lot more. 

It is a common tactic. 

Argumentum ad nauseam (argument to the point of disgust; i.e., by repitition). This is the fallacy of trying to prove something by saying it again and again. But no matter how many times you repeat something, it will not become any more or less true than it was in the first place. Of course, it is not a fallacy to state the truth again and again; what is fallacious is to expect the repitition alone to substitute for real arguments.

Dicto simpliciter (spoken simply, i.e., sweeping generalization). This is the fallacy of making a sweeping statement and expecting it to be true of every specific case -- in other words, stereotyping. Example: "Women are on average not as strong as men and less able to carry a gun. Therefore women can't pull their weight in a military unit." The problem is that the sweeping statement may be true (on average, women are indeed weaker than men), but it is not necessarily true for every member of the group in question (there are some women who are much stronger than the average).

Argumentum ad hominem (argument directed at the person). This is the error of attacking the character or motives of a person who has stated an idea, rather than the idea itself. The most obvious example of this fallacy is when one debater maligns the character of another debater (e.g, "The members of the opposition are a couple of fascists!"),

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@PGA2.0
I don't know which book of fantasy you are reading but I have never said anything about what you are or are not doing, you are using your claim in that regard to run away from your god's lack of care for starving Yemeny children and his contrasting care for you and a few pennies.
You have no response, so you are better off running away.
Castin
Castin
-->
@PGA2.0
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and tell me about your experiences.

Honestly I kind of envy your spiritual journey and your ability to maintain doubtless faith. I've never been able to. Doubt is the single most pervading emotion in my existential experience -- not being sure what's real, what's right, or if there even is a "real" or "right" way. The things I'm truly sure of could probably be counted on one hand. So the trusting bond between God and believer is sort of shrouded in mystery to me because it's something I don't think I can really attain -- or at least, maintain once attained.

Out of curiosity, why do you think the biblical age of miracles ended?

Hi there. I read you are a new moderator and thought I would see why Bsh1 was so impressed.
I spiked his drink with LSD and whispered "Castin is great" in his ear repetitively.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Castin
Doubt is the single most pervading emotion in my existential experience.

Get out of the mind a little, observe more instead of always chasing thoughts. I mean I know you believe you are the mind and that is understandable, but since you are the one who is observing the mind you can control what it produces. It doesn't tell you what to do or think, you tell it what to do and what it is you want to think about. Really it is your thoughts I would imagine that create the doubts, the key is to know when to shut that off and not let it control your potential or your experiences. It is your conscious soul that is observing the mind which generates thoughts but since the mind is more like a machine it will circulate unwanted junk if you are not careful. The best way to overcome this, is to practice pulling back from the mind and just observe, listen but don't let your thoughts circulate. The reason for doing this, is so you can distinguish between the nature of the created bodies and the actual soul and their purpose as well as what harm they cause, or obstacles they bring. 

The emotional layer/body works much the same way only a bit trickier. Because we are dealing with feelings it is much harder to control. However, both the mind and the emotions are being observed by you, the watcher....the one looking through the physical layers and senses including the mind and emotions. Transcendence is somewhat of a generic term now, but it's a basic principle of getting away from or out of the grip of just the body and what you perceive through it alone. This is just a practice thing though as with other aspects of spirituality, I'm not being an azz or anything I'm just trying to give you a practical way of looking at it or even dealing with it. Or perhaps you want to live with consuming doubt and or like it! in that case just ignore what I wrote ;)

PGA2.0
PGA2.0
-->
@Castin

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions and tell me about your experiences.

Honestly I kind of envy your spiritual journey and your ability to maintain doubtless faith. I've never been able to. Doubt is the single most pervading emotion in my existential experience -- not being sure what's real, what's right, or if there even is a "real" or "right" way. The things I'm truly sure of could probably be counted on one hand. So the trusting bond between God and believer is sort of shrouded in mystery to me because it's something I don't think I can really attain -- or at least, maintain once attained.
I thank you for your kind and gentle words.

Out of curiosity, why do you think the biblical age of miracles ended?
Thanks for the question!

It was used to spread the Christian faith so it served its purpose. That is the short of it. 

The longer explanation:

1 Corinthians 13:10 (NASB)
10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

When perfection came there was no longer need for miraculous works. The perfect speaks of the Second Coming of the Lord. All the time indicators in the NT speaks of a near, soon, quick coming return and judgment.

Now for a little more context:

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away

Prophecy will be done away with. The Lord Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-18,

17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

First, you have to understand what heaven and earth meant to the 1st-century audience of address. The OT references also give a clue. Their whole existence of 1st-century Israel revolved around the OT economy and temple ritual worship and the Mosaic Law

Second, Jesus said that not the smallest letter or stoke would pass from the Law until all is accomplished.

Third, Jesus said that He came to fulfill both the Law and the prophets. 

Fourth, the Law could not be fulfilled by these Old Covenant people after AD 70. Their whole worship system had disappeared (Matthew 24:1-2; Luke 21:20-24).

Their temple no longer stood. 
Their priesthood was no longer functional.
Their sacrificial system that atoned for the sin of the nation could no longer be offered. 
Their feast days could no longer be followed as prescribed by OT Law. 

So, everything was fulfilled as Jesus foretold. The NT that was in transition during the 40 year period from AD 30 (the crucifixion and resurrection) until AD 70 (the destruction of the temple) was complete. Now, in AD 70 there was only one covenant in operation - the New Covenant. 

Hebrews 8:13 (NASB)
13 When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear.

There are good reasons to believe Hebrews was written before AD 70, some time in the AD 60's. For one thing, the entire epistle still speaks of the temple and worship system as still in existence. It also speaks of soon coming judgment like every other NT writing. 

Luke 21 also places all prophetic fulfillment at the time of the destruction of the city and temple.
Luke 21:20-24 (NASB)
20 “But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then recognize that her desolation is near. 21 Then those who are in Judea must flee to the mountains, and those who are in the midst of the city must leave, and those who are in the country must not enter the city; 22 because these are days of
vengeance, so that all things which are written will be fulfilled. 23 Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days; for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people; 24 and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

Jesus said these are the days of vengeance so that ALL things which are written will be fulfilled. That places the fulfillment in the 1st-century. If you understand the history of Israel you understand the covenant they made with God on Mount Sinai (Exodus 24:3,7). They agreed to be His people and He their God. They also pleaded to follow His laws, but they never did. Thus, God gave them blessings and curses (Deuteronomy 28). The blessings were for obedience, the curses for disobedience. God was bringing His wrath and the curses on these Old Covenant people for their disobedience.  

God removed that covenant relationship in AD 70 and replaced it with a new and better one, one that was accessible to all peoples. Thus, prophecy and miracles were no longer needed. 

If you are ever interested in seeing how the Bible all ties together into one supernatural book I would suggest the following links in exploring it:

Castin
Castin
-->
@PGA2.0
So what does that mean in regard to your acceptance or rejection of modern divine miracles? Which there are sometimes reports of. Do you believe these are mere rumor?

And also, as someone who talks to God, do you believe everyone's account of God talking to them?