Archived
Read-only
Total: 108
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@bsh1
Do you have to be either or? Can't you be a mod who moderates but doesn't over-reach? I don't get this false dichotomy. We have the COC, there is no need to ever pander. You aren't to mod to please any poster, you are just to enforce the CoC.

Max did not do that. And I can bring you threads where he shirked his duty. You seem to think your job is to please people. It isn't. If you uphold the CoC, Mike will not allow anyone to touch you.

But you cannot meddle when no code of conduct has been broken, and cannot be "hands off" when the CoC has been violated. Otherwise, we don't need a CoC and you can just call them as you feel, like Max did.

I vote for the CoC, not Max's vapor moderation.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@XLAV
Thanks, XLAV. I appreciate that.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Lunatic
Thank you :)
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
-->
@DebateArt.com
Can we implement more genders so I can put "both" as my gender on my profile 

I'm not gender fluid btw
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@ethang5
Do you have to be either or?
The point that I am making is that there are always going to be groups who think I am too strict or too hands-off. It's impossible to please everyone. 

You seem to think your job is to please people.
Oh, when I took this job I new I was going to piss people off. It's part of being a mod--the decisions you make are invariably going to annoy people at some point. I'm not setting out to pander, because that's a losing game; I'd never be able to please everyone.
bsh1
bsh1
I have posted an introduction for new users with some (hopefully) helpful resources for them. You can find that thread here: https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/346
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@bsh1
I agree. Max was a tremendous moderator and I can only aspire to the example he set, though he and I disagreed in some areas and on some decisions. Keeping that in mind, it's important to realize that the COC is largely lifted (in some parts, entirely lifted) from the COC that Max himself authored. That COC can be found here, starting around post 7: http://www.debate.org/forums/debate.org/topic/56116/
Yeah, I didn't like the CoC on DDO, I liked Max's moderation that was pretty much independent of the 'letter of the law'. If you are going to moderate in Max's style, that's great. I hope that you do and that the site flourishes and everyone is happy. But you might leave the site, take a break or something, and pass moderation on. Eventually, moderation powers might fall on an unworthy person, and if the CoC gives the power to abuse it they will. Policy has to be written in a tight way, with unscrupulous people in mind. A constitution which gives kings the power to behead the whole parliament and relies on the generosity of the king not to do so is a bad constitution, regardless of how well it functions when a good man is king.

The answer is that none of these topics in and of themselves violate site policy. I think its possible that arguments presented in favor of them might violate site policy (for example, calling all Jewish people "f*cking k*kes who deserve to get sodomized by sword point before being burned alive" would certainly violate site policy as it is currently written.)
That's good to hear, as this was my main concern with you personally. I agree that absurdly graphic personal attacks, harassment, and doxxing ought to be strictly off-limits.

I certainly hope you'll stick around and give us--that is, the moderation team--a chance to prove ourselves to you and the whole site. I realize that I am untested in a moderator position, so I can only ask for patience. If I make a mistake, I will do my best to own up to it. Moderation will entail a dialogue with the community so that we can continue to improve the way we do things. But, I think one thing I've taken away from Max is precisely the need to not be inserting myself too much in the goings-on of the community. I hope to win your confidence, and urge you to stay for awhile to see how this ride goes.
As do I!

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Will there be sub-forum mods for each? Like a mod for Games, Art, etc.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vader
Ideally, no, there will not be mods for individual fora. That said, if any particular forum becomes chronically rowdy, shall we say, it may be necessary to name a mod for that forum. I would hope that would only happen in extraordinary circumstances. The more mods there are, the more enforcement standards vary, and I don't think that promotes a cohesive site. It might also lead to confusing about what precisely the standards are. So, all in all, I'd like to keep the mods to a minimum. The only additional position Virt and I are considering at this moment is an Assistant Moderator for Forums (as in, all of the fora).
bsh1
bsh1
100th post.

I am unpinning this because the information about mod's identities is now in the "About Dart" thread. Plus, this has been up for a couple days, so the information should have already been disseminated, hopefully.
Castin
Castin
I don't think I've advocated much intervention at all. Certainly, only a small, small minority of users are going to use phrases like the one I demonstrated to REF or are going to engage in cyberbullying. Where have I advocated high levels of interventionism in this thread? I certainly see no evidence of that. And, as I said earlier, I agree that people should deal with their disagreements themselves, but, unfortunately, there are situations which demand moderator action. Those situations are a fraction of all interactions on this site, and it is my hope that moderation can largely take a backseat in the user experience.
We'll see about that, man... based on your DDO history, I have a hard time believing that you won't overreach. But perhaps you'll prove me wrong.
It sounds like you were a rebel back on DDO, bish. You'll have to tell me a wild story or two sometime.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
It sounds like you were a rebel back on DDO, bish. You'll have to tell me a wild story or two sometime. 
Oh the halcyon days of yesteryear...

I was never quite a rebel, except to the extent that I could be considered a bit risque in my commentary and choice of avatar. Rather, as DDO President, I was considered a bit over involved by some (though not all). I tried to run a lot of programs like new user outreach and tournaments, and that led some to conclude that I was overbearing.
Castin
Castin
-->
@bsh1
Lol risque. I love it. Aww, but I expect you'll be toning it down now that you have a few chevrons on your sleeves. Damn. How fun does a risque moderator sound.

I don't really understand how running a lot of programs is overbearing and I would've thought there'd be more to it, but okay. Shame on you for promoting activities. SHAME.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Castin
Yeah, I figured it was best to tone it down. Hence the switch from my old profile picture to my current one. On DDO, people used to PM me about how my soul was doomed and how I was corrupting the youth with my avatars; it was pretty funny. People also used to report my profile pictures all the time.

I think I might still have a "fun" week now and then, but those will have to be by far the exception. A certain amount of self-restraint has to be expected in that regard.

24 days later

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@David
@bsh1
I wasn't sure if this question was ever asked. What are the credentials in regards to moderating forums for the two selected members? Is this their first time? Or, have they moderated forums before, and if so for how long and to what degree?

David
Debates: 92
David
-->
@Goldtop
Speaking for myself, I have been moderating for quite some time. I was a moderator of an LGBT+ youth forum for a few years before it closed down. I was also a moderator of a fairly large facebook group for Jewish who left Christianity.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Goldtop
I was the former elected site President of DDO. I served two terms. In that capacity, Airmax would occasionally consult with me on moderation issues and certain specific cases. That said, I have quite a bit of experience working with a site like this in my capacity as President, and I learned a lot about what I should and should not be doing in this role.
Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@David
@bsh1
Thank you both for the candid answers. It would appear Virtuoso has what appears to be a good background and looks like first time for bsh. I'm sure over time Virtuoso will be a good role model and mentor for the rookie.