another reason to vote Trump

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 44
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@bmdrocks21
Yeah, pretty much. They both make rules for short-term convenience and then cry when it is used against them. Gotta love politics! :D

exactly and also cry when precedent isn't followed or things are bipartisan, go figure.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Well, doesn't obstruction of justice need to have an actual crime?
1) we know there was crimes before the obstruction. 
2) no. If they are investigating and you obstruct that investigation, that is in and of itself a crime. If you obstruct an investigation, you are committing a crime even if what they were looking into wasn't a crime. 

The Mueller Report didn't really accuse him of anything, so he couldn't obstruct a false investigation. I don't know much about your other claims. 
Untrue. Obstruction is a crime. And if there were no crimes to find, why did Trump obstruct the investigation?

Well, I support how it is for the reason most people support it. I think lifetime appointments shield them from backlash for making unpopular, yet correct interpretations. If a liberal judge made a good interpretation of the law which a conservative president had personal problems with, he shouldn't be able to fire them. That would give the president supreme power over the judicial system.
I'm pretty sure you are lying, either to me or to yourself. If the court was packed with liberal judges reinterpreting the law against what you wanted, you would want reform. But because it has been packed with conservative judges you are totally fine with it. 

The Second Amendment, from how I interpret it, is to prevent government tyranny and infringement on rights. Preventing us from having rifles would make that essentially impossible.
But that was not how it was intended at all. That was a later interpretation. The start of that amendment makes it clear that the purpose is for a "well regulated militia". It had nothing to do with preventing tyranny. It was to prevent america needing a regular military. 

They don't have to vote a certain way, though, because they don't have to worry about appeasing the president for job security. Bernie said he wanted to rotate them because of Roe v. Wade overturning. If that isn't a call to ideologically alter the court in the liberal direction, I don't know what it.
The point is that if it is a life long appointment and you only appoint hard right (or left) wing ideologies, then they will continue to rule one way for decades. And that is exactly what the republicans are doing. They put hard right wing people on it who will never (or rarely) stray from the republican interpretation. 

I don't appreciate when liberals wipe their ass with the Constitution every time it gets in the way of their excessive government intervention.
This is a really weird thought process. You appear to be advocating for never updating laws or rules beyond what a group of upper middle class white men wrote hundreds of years ago, despite those laws having been changed dozens of times already. When society or technology advances and the constitution is no longer doing what is needed, you update the law. You don't use it as a weapon to fight against progress. 

I didn't see any liberals complaining about the liberally stacked courts before because they cared about ideological balance. I don't care for partisan BS.
I'm not aware of liberals doing that. It is extremely clear the republicans have been. but you seem to be fine with that. 
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
exactly and also cry when precedent isn't followed or things are bipartisan, go figure.

It's the blame game to avoid accountability from their constituents.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
1) we know there was crimes before the obstruction. 
2) no. If they are investigating and you obstruct that investigation, that is in and of itself a crime. If you obstruct an investigation, you are committing a crime even if what they were looking into wasn't a crime. 

I don't think we knew of any crimes before the obstruction. Schiff said there was clear evidence of obstruction, which they never found. It is hard to keep track. It is hard to obstruct justice when justice isn't being served, but I think Barr said they would only pursue those charges if they actually found collusion. This whole Russia and now Ukraine business is just boring and all over the place.

I'm pretty sure you are lying, either to me or to yourself. If the court was packed with liberal judges reinterpreting the law against what you wanted, you would want reform. But because it has been packed with conservative judges you are totally fine with it. 
This is the difference between liberals and conservatives. When it is used against me, I get pissed. When something is used against liberals they get pissed and change everything to suit their whims at the moment. The whole point of being a conservative is to conserve things. So... not lying to anyone.

But that was not how it was intended at all. That was a later interpretation. The start of that amendment makes it clear that the purpose is for a "well regulated militia". It had nothing to do with preventing tyranny. It was to prevent america needing a regular military. 

You don't think a bunch of guys who just fought off a tyrannical government using guns would intend this law to prevent tyranny via guns? A militia can defend against threats, both foreign and domestic. We had a federal military back in the early 1800s when many Founding Fathers were still alive. You would think they would have done away with it then, since it was no longer needed for that purpose.

The point is that if it is a life long appointment and you only appoint hard right (or left) wing ideologies, then they will continue to rule one way for decades. And that is exactly what the republicans are doing. They put hard right wing people on it who will never (or rarely) stray from the republican interpretation. 

And we have had long periods of radically liberal appointments. Your activist judges have done so much damage in federal courts, and now that some people are going to reverse that, you automatically have a problem with it. It is obvious you have no regard for our court system, our Constitution, or really anything American. You just support whatever gets the ends you want. If that means having a stacked liberal court, you would support life terms. If there are a lot of conservative judges, you would support rotating courts. 

This is a really weird thought process. You appear to be advocating for never updating laws or rules beyond what a group of upper middle class white men wrote hundreds of years ago, despite those laws having been changed dozens of times already. When society or technology advances and the constitution is no longer doing what is needed, you update the law. You don't use it as a weapon to fight against progress. 

I don't play your identitarian games. Why does their class, race, and gender matter? I am not against change, I am against upending something the second you have a problem with. If there was something they couldn't have planned for, I would make a law through a conservative lens. Same if I change a law. That means maximizing personal liberty and limiting government interference. There is a huge difference between simply updating versus doing the opposite of what it was intended to do and gut it so the federal government can control most aspects of our lives.

I'm not aware of liberals doing that. It is extremely clear the republicans have been. but you seem to be fine with that. 

I would prefer moderates get added by every president. Here is some proof of liberal stacking:

In 2018, of the 13 federal appeals courts, 4 had Republican-appointed majorities. 
Obama appointed 55 federal judges in his 8 years, and Trump is taking them back ideologically-speaking.
disgusted
disgusted
another reason to vote Trump

I didn't catch an original reason.

disgusted
disgusted
The wingnuts just go right off in their fantasy worlds.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don't think we knew of any crimes before the obstruction.
If you mean in the mueller investigation then I would agree. We didn't know if a crime had been committed. If you mean in the Ukraine scandal, then that isn't true. The call transcript shows a crime. 

Schiff said there was clear evidence of obstruction
Meuller detailed multiple counts of obstruction. There is alot of evidence for those. For the ukraine scandal, trump has openly ordered people not to testify, they hid documents, they threatened witnesses etc. The obstruction is pretty clear there too. 

When something is used against liberals they get pissed and change everything to suit their whims at the moment. The whole point of being a conservative is to conserve things. So... not lying to anyone.
I don't want the courts to be a weapon. They weren't intended to be one. They are currently being used as one by the republicans. So it is the republicans who have changed the nature of the court by packing it with young, ideologues. Even going so far as to breach precident and refuse to hold hearings to help them do this. Trying to restore the court is the right thing to do. Trying to "conserve" the corrupted version the republicans are working to make is the exact opposite of what was intended. 

You don't think a bunch of guys who just fought off a tyrannical government using guns would intend this law to prevent tyranny via guns?
They might have. But the amendment doesn't say anything about that. It explicitly says it is for a well regulated militia. So you are arguing we should ignore what the amendment says in favor of what you want to interpret they meant. Even though they didn't say what you want to believe they meant.

You would think they would have done away with it then, since it was no longer needed for that purpose.
They were afraid that a large military could be abused. They wanted to keep the military as small as possible to prevent this abuse. And now people who claim to respect the founding fathers are doing the exact opposite. 

And we have had long periods of radically liberal appointments. Your activist judges have done so much damage in federal courts, and now that some people are going to reverse that, you automatically have a problem with it.
Who, when, what damage? I'm guessing you think "damage" is upholding people's rights.

You just support whatever gets the ends you want. If that means having a stacked liberal court, you would support life terms.
No I don't. I don't think using the courts as a weapon is a good idea. I think that stacking them either way is bad. 

I am not against change, I am against upending something the second you have a problem with.
These 2 ideas are contradictory. You aren't against change, but you are against changing things that you have a problem with. That is why you would change it. 

There is a huge difference between simply updating versus doing the opposite of what it was intended to do
If it isn't working for people, it should be changed. The founding fathers were intelligent men, but they lived a long, long time ago. They lived in a world where slavery was considered good and women weren't considered people. Letting them decide how we should live is dumb. If their ideas don't work any more, they need to be discarded. 

and gut it so the federal government can control most aspects of our lives.
That is a nice idea in theory. But in practice what that means is that the rich control our lives. If the government doesn't decide what the rules are, the rich and powerful will decide it instead. I would much rather have a government, that I have a say in, deciding things than some billionaire asshole deciding things and having no say in what the rules are. 

In 2018, of the 13 federal appeals courts, 4 had Republican-appointed majorities. 
That isn't evidence of stacking. i don't disagree that it is possible there is stacking there, but that just shows who appointed them. If the people appointing them weren't picking ideologues then who appointed them is completely irrelevant. We know for a fact that republicans have actively been working to stack the courts with hard right wing people and picking young candidates so that they will stay there a long time. That is stacking. 
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
If you mean in the mueller investigation then I would agree. We didn't know if a crime had been committed. If you mean in the Ukraine scandal, then that isn't true. The call transcript shows a crime. 

I was referring to the Mueller investigation. 

Meuller detailed multiple counts of obstruction. There is alot of evidence for those. For the ukraine scandal, trump has openly ordered people not to testify, they hid documents, they threatened witnesses etc. The obstruction is pretty clear there too. 

That was a typo. I meant Schiff said there was clear evidence of collusion. I usually listen to conservatives, who are obviously biased, but I heard he didn't really impede the investigation. I think Mueller said something to that effect at the hearings.

I don't want the courts to be a weapon. They weren't intended to be one. They are currently being used as one by the republicans. So it is the republicans who have changed the nature of the court by packing it with young, ideologues. Even going so far as to breach precident and refuse to hold hearings to help them do this. Trying to restore the court is the right thing to do. Trying to "conserve" the corrupted version the republicans are working to make is the exact opposite of what was intended. 

They shouldn't be used as a weapon. The Republicans shouldn't be doing it now and the liberals shouldn't have done it before. It is more retaliatory than anything, which doesn't absolve them.

They might have. But the amendment doesn't say anything about that. It explicitly says it is for a well regulated militia. So you are arguing we should ignore what the amendment says in favor of what you want to interpret they meant. Even though they didn't say what you want to believe they meant.

Militias consist of citizens. Militias can be used to fight of a tyrannical government or foreign threats. I think it was intended for both.

They were afraid that a large military could be abused. They wanted to keep the military as small as possible to prevent this abuse. And now people who claim to respect the founding fathers are doing the exact opposite. 

Well, we have bigger militias(more people with guns) to keep our bigger military in check. I do think our military is a bit too large, though. 

Who, when, what damage? I'm guessing you think "damage" is upholding people's rights.

No, they are blocking essentially everything Trump tries to do on immigration. They are abusing the system of checks and balances. Some should be stopped (I'm sure you'll point to the supposed Muslim ban), but many others shouldn't yet are because they disagree.

No I don't. I don't think using the courts as a weapon is a good idea. I think that stacking them either way is bad. 

Good, we agree. But, currently the Supreme Court is tied, with Roberts very slightly leaning our way. Trump may very well pick a moderate if a spot opens to replace far-left Ginsburg, but I kinda doubt it. The country is too partisan for that right now.

These 2 ideas are contradictory. You aren't against change, but you are against changing things that you have a problem with. That is why you would change it. 
Things should be how they were intended to be. If something was altered, say for instance, how much power the federal government has been given. I would alter it to become a more federalist document, which is how it was meant to be. I am for bringing it back to how it should have been if applicable. If something new and unapplicable arises, I write updates around how it would have been interpreted. I don't want to misrepresent your side, but it seems you want to materially alter the document. For instance, the states were meant to be in charge of education. You then created the Department of Education, which is the exact opposite of how it should be. 

If it isn't working for people, it should be changed. The founding fathers were intelligent men, but they lived a long, long time ago. They lived in a world where slavery was considered good and women weren't considered people. Letting them decide how we should live is dumb. If their ideas don't work any more, they need to be discarded. 

Slavery wasn't considered good....that was where the 3/5 Compromise came in. Considering women equal citizens and slavery illegal are perfectly compatible with the conservative view. They just weren't possible at the time. The Founding Fathers knew tyranny at the hand of a government first-hand. They knew how to avoid it, which is why they supported federalism and the checks and balances we have. But both parties (although I would put more blame on your side) consistently put more power in the hands of the president, one singular man, which then allows him to have way too much power. Executive Orders were meant to guide laws, but then Obama, in an extreme show of partisan politics, pushed through a massive amnesty EO for illegal immigrants. That is an abuse of power and purely partisan. 

That is a nice idea in theory. But in practice what that means is that the rich control our lives. If the government doesn't decide what the rules are, the rich and powerful will decide it instead. I would much rather have a government, that I have a say in, deciding things than some billionaire asshole deciding things and having no say in what the rules are. 

Well, we are in agreement that lobbying/special interests are a huge issue. If we curtail their ability to manipulate politicians or at the very least, take away power from politicians, how can they control our lives? Also, you all support unelected bureaucrats having enormous power over our lives. How is that any different?

That isn't evidence of stacking. i don't disagree that it is possible there is stacking there, but that just shows who appointed them. If the people appointing them weren't picking ideologues then who appointed them is completely irrelevant. We know for a fact that republicans have actively been working to stack the courts with hard right wing people and picking young candidates so that they will stay there a long time. That is stacking. 

I don't know if it is possible to determine which of these appointees are ideologues, but at the very least, I'm sure we can agree that a president will appoint a candidate that they believe will vote for their side more often than not, yes? They believe their side is correct, so it would be foolish for them not to. Even assuming they aren't ideologues, then, more often than not they will reach liberal rulings.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
I was referring to the Mueller investigation. 
my apologies, in that case I agree we did not know if a crime had been committed going in. However we now know that Trump committed several crimes blocking the investigation. 

That was a typo. I meant Schiff said there was clear evidence of collusion. I usually listen to conservatives, who are obviously biased, but I heard he didn't really impede the investigation. I think Mueller said something to that effect at the hearings.
Mueller laid out multiple counts of chargeable obstruction of justice. If you heard he said otherwise, you heard wrong. 

They shouldn't be used as a weapon. The Republicans shouldn't be doing it now and the liberals shouldn't have done it before. It is more retaliatory than anything, which doesn't absolve them.
So you acknowledge the courts are being used inappropriately, and you want to do absolutely nothing about it?

Militias consist of citizens. Militias can be used to fight of a tyrannical government or foreign threats. I think it was intended for both.
Even if i accepted that you were right, it expressly says that the weapons are for a well organized militia. That vast, vast, majority of gun owners in the US do not belong to any kind of militia. The 2nd amendment was not intended to apply to them. 

Well, we have bigger militias(more people with guns) to keep our bigger military in check. I do think our military is a bit too large, though. 
Technology has changed too much for this to even matter any more. Drones and MBTs beat red necks with an AR 15. 

No, they are blocking essentially everything Trump tries to do on immigration. They are abusing the system of checks and balances. Some should be stopped (I'm sure you'll point to the supposed Muslim ban), but many others shouldn't yet are because they disagree.
So you are fine with the courts blocking anything progressive, but when they block attempts to attack minorities you consider that abuse?

Good, we agree. But, currently the Supreme Court is tied, with Roberts very slightly leaning our way. Trump may very well pick a moderate if a spot opens to replace far-left Ginsburg, but I kinda doubt it. The country is too partisan for that right now.
Trump has had 2 chances to appoint judges that would be fair. He has appointed ideologues both times. He doesn't care about what is right. He only cares about winning. Which is the same reason the republicans have been trying to stack the courts for years. 

Things should be how they were intended to be.
It was intended to be a slave state where women and natives had no rights. I assume you are fine with ending slavery and giving women rights. So you obviously don't want it to be what it was intended to be, you just want the exclusive right to determine what should and shouldn't be changed. 

Slavery wasn't considered good....that was where the 3/5 Compromise came in.
So you are acknowledging that the founding fathers planned for slavery to be a part of america. That was part of how it was "intended to be"

Well, we are in agreement that lobbying/special interests are a huge issue. If we curtail their ability to manipulate politicians or at the very least, take away power from politicians, how can they control our lives?
If the government doesn't have the power to set labor laws, employers will abuse their workers. They do now, but no where near the levels they did before the government started regulating. If you want to have a particular medical procedure and your employer decides they don't want you to have it, they could just deny you health coverage. If the government regulates that, or better provides the health insurance themselves, you cannot be denied care. I can keep going, but essentially, any power the government gives up will be taken by someone else. If you actually succeeding in shrinking the government you would just be handing that power to the rich and powerful and would lose any say in the matter. 

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
So you acknowledge the courts are being used inappropriately, and you want to do absolutely nothing about it?

I believe it is better than manipulating judges with job security concerns.

Even if i accepted that you were right, it expressly says that the weapons are for a well organized militia. That vast, vast, majority of gun owners in the US do not belong to any kind of militia. The 2nd amendment was not intended to apply to them. 

It would depend on your definition of "militia" then. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/militia
There is one that says any able-bodied male that can serve in the military.
But don't you pretend to say that abortion is a guaranteed right according to the Constitution, yet there is no mention of pregnancy, abortion, or even how a "right to privacy" would even pertain to that? There is a lot more evidence for gun rights.

Technology has changed too much for this to even matter any more. Drones and MBTs beat red necks with an AR 15. 

So maybe rednecks should have drones ;)
That means there are a minimum of about 7,000,000 adults with access guns. It would be higher because we have more guns than people. We have an active duty military of 1.3 million. Yes, they have advanced technology, but I'd say that a force 5x larger than your military is a heck of a deterrent to take away their rights, wouldn't you agree?

So you are fine with the courts blocking anything progressive, but when they block attempts to attack minorities you consider that abuse?

My point was to avoid the "Muslim Ban" conversation. It was banning immigration from countries with high levels of terrorism, which tend to be Muslim countries. Check out France and tell me Trump's idea was bad.

Trump has had 2 chances to appoint judges that would be fair. He has appointed ideologues both times. He doesn't care about what is right. He only cares about winning. Which is the same reason the republicans have been trying to stack the courts for years. 

Why do you think his appointed judges are ideologues? Both sides get their chance to stack the courts. Don't play that partisan game with me, Mr. FDR court-packing scandal. They go back and forth like the legislature, just at different rates.

It was intended to be a slave state where women and natives had no rights. I assume you are fine with ending slavery and giving women rights. So you obviously don't want it to be what it was intended to be, you just want the exclusive right to determine what should and shouldn't be changed. 

Well, the Founders were all about personal liberty and freedom. For obvious reasons, slavery is incompatible with both of those. Choosing to expand who their values apply to is what conservatives do. Liberals have different values entirely. That's the difference.

So you are acknowledging that the founding fathers planned for slavery to be a part of america. That was part of how it was "intended to be"

Had they intended it to be a slave nation, they would have done nothing to limit the influence of slave states. They did, through that compromise, limit the power of slave states. Think of slavers as a big lobby group that gummed things up.

If the government doesn't have the power to set labor laws, employers will abuse their workers. They do now, but no where near the levels they did before the government started regulating. If you want to have a particular medical procedure and your employer decides they don't want you to have it, they could just deny you health coverage. If the government regulates that, or better provides the health insurance themselves, you cannot be denied care. I can keep going, but essentially, any power the government gives up will be taken by someone else. If you actually succeeding in shrinking the government you would just be handing that power to the rich and powerful and would lose any say in the matter. 

Unions can work out labor conditions and pay with their employers.

If you are getting a pointless procedure done, your employer would oppose it. If it would improve your health and therefore working efficiency, they would support you getting it.

I am very much surprised you aren't in my camp about this. I support a small federal government and federalism. If California wants to have tons of spending and high taxes, let them. If people in Florida don't want to be taxed and regulated a lot, they shouldn't have to. Why can't state government be more in charge of these things? You are a liberal, which means you should be in favor of offering choices. If the federal government has all this power, unhappy people have no choice but to leave the country. With federalism, if you don't like how California does things, you can move to Florida or wherever better reflects your values. 

Do you or do you not have a problem with that and why?
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@bmdrocks21
My point was to avoid the "Muslim Ban" conversation. It was banning immigration from countries with high levels of terrorism, which tend to be Muslim countries. Check out France and tell me Trump's idea was bad.
The implementation was certainly bad. Some of the countries that were banned are relatively low risk for terrorism and there are some glaring omissions in terms of countries with terrorism risk. I mean, at the very least I'd expect a ban for the country of the nationals that caused 9/11. That and Trump previously calling for a muslim ban certainly does make you think

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@dustryder
The implementation was certainly bad. Some of the countries that were banned are relatively low risk for terrorism and there are some glaring omissions in terms of countries with terrorism risk. I mean, at the very least I'd expect a ban for the country of the nationals that caused 9/11. That and Trump previously calling for a muslim ban certainly does make you think

I would have been okay with him increasing the number of countries involved in the ban. Don't recall him wanting to ban Muslims, but maybe he did.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@bmdrocks21
So you would be ok with expanding the ban that has been shown to be both ineffective and incredibly disruptive? Why?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@dustryder
Didn't the courts knock it down?

There haven't really been any major Islamic terror attacks since Trump became president. The only potential one that I can remember at all is the recent Pensacola one.

I want to ban a lot of immigration from countries that have high rates of terrorism because we don't currently have very good ways of vetting people who may be terrorists.