ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@bmdrocks21
No, not all is fair in love and war.
I agree.

Atom bombs were debatably justifiable.
I would debate they were not justified as there were options to demostrate to the Japanese in other ways, instead of dropping them on a city.

Dresden was uncalled for and especially choosing the downtown market as ground zero targeting.

Non-violence is preferable but not always possible
Ghandi suggested non-violence with Nazis also.  War is hell and to defeat the Nazis some others had to become as cruel as them.

The highest ---most spiritual-- and most difficult --requires the most courage, is to say that, ...' all I will do for death is to die for it '.....

The warriors creed is, I will die trying to kill the enemy, and any  innocents collateral damage that is result of war. Sorry.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ebuc
I would debate they were not justified as there were options to demostrate to the Japanese in other ways, instead of dropping them on a city.

I don't know about that. We used one bomb of unprecedented strength and decimated an entire city. They refused to surrender until after the second and we lied and said we had more. I doubt any conventional means outside of completely conquering them would have been sufficient.

Yeah, again, if there were peaceful means of dealing with Nazis, they may have been preferable. They tried appeasement, but that didn't work. After they conquered Poland, they realized an armed conflict was the only option.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@bmdrocks21
I don't know about that. We used one bomb of unprecedented strength and decimated an entire city. They refused to surrender until after the second and we lied and said we had more. I doubt any conventional means outside of completely conquering them would have been sufficient.
Both bombs as used was immoral.

Yeah, again, if there were peaceful means of dealing with Nazis, they may have been preferable. They tried appeasement, but that didn't work. After they conquered Poland, they realized an armed conflict was the only option.
My questions were not addressing peaceful process.  The addressed morality of bombing downtown Dresden. It was not necessary or moral to do so.

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@bmdrocks21
Two days between atomic bomb drops on Japan.  Neither were necessary or morally superior.

....' The United States detonated two nuclear weapons over the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on August 6 and 9, 1945, respectively, with the consent of the United Kingdom, as required by the Quebec Agreement. "..................
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ebuc
My questions were not addressing peaceful process.  The addressed morality of bombing downtown Dresden. It was not necessary or moral to do so.

Both bombs as used was immoral.
I don't appreciate the use against civilian targets.

The Germans were already screwed as is, but the Japanese still had quite a bit of power. 

What would be a "morally superior option"? A land invasion?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@bmdrocks21
What would be a "morally superior option"? .....' but the Japanese still had quite a bit of power. '.........
Ive already mention one option to 1st and 2nd atomic bomb detonation.

Japan had little to no power compared to atomic bomb. Your 2 days of consideration of 2nd atomic bomb, does not seem moral to me.

US had the far superior upper-hand of power, and there are various ways they could prove their point, without hitting a major city.

"Bodies" = collateral damage in war and peace.

War on drugs had immoral collateral damage.

USA could make more atomic bombs in 1945. How long would it take. I dunno.

Allies had many options in consideration of Dresden and the chose the absolute most immoral one.

And then they bombed it two more times!

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ebuc
I don't think those were major cities. The death toll from both total was about 120,000-200,000. Their 1940 population for the country was over 70 million. Upwards of .3% of their total population.

I don't know enough about the Dresden one, so I'll take your word for it.