Atheists-What do you believe and why

Author: janesix

Total: 49
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@keithprosser
You could believe you will find the winning ticket laying on the ground. This is in line with the belief that you will win the lottery without prompting you to buy a ticket. That example is more in line with the discussion
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@secularmerlin
fervently believing in a proposition does not in and of itself effect how true this proposition is

Propositions are true or false in and of themselves, not as far as I can tell, at least, in any way related to how fervently they're believed in, or how many people believe them. If everyone suddenly believe 4 + 3 = 8, and they REAAAAALLLLLY believed it, so much so that they started bombing mathematician's homes and places of business, 4 + 3 = 7. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@secularmerlin
I find it hard to believe "So your contention here is that fervently believing in a proposition does not in and of itself effect how true this proposition is?" has more than one reasonable answer!

Sydney is not the capital of Australia no matter how much you believe it is!   But may be a belief like 'I can beat this guy at pool' might have a positive effect...

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Atheists believe in nothing. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@keithprosser
 But may be a belief like 'I can beat this guy at pool' might have a positive effect...

In reality only if you actually have the skill to beat the guy at pool. Sure, there's luck or whatever involved, but in the end, no matter how much I believe, for example, that I can beat Tiger Woods playing golf, that belief is ill founded, meaningless and has no measurable effect on if I can beat Tiger Woods. This is what I find dangerous about movies like "Rocky Iv," because no matter how much Rocky believed he could beat Drago, he was a foot shorter and fifty pounds lighter and spent the first three rounds being repeatedly concussed. The science they showed there is almost funny, until you realize that he was basically getting hit with the same force as a cinder block hitting your face after a two story fall. 

Sorry, that movie was on yesterday and I can never NOT watch it :). 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@ludofl3x
4 + 3 = 7 is a tautology. Niether four nor three exist in and of themselves they are simply a designation relating to the number of items in a grouping. We could define four or three or eight differently and make the number statement 4 + 3 = 7 true.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Goid to have you back poly how was your vacation?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@secularmerlin
Fuck you. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@secularmerlin
4 + 3 = 7 is a tautology. Niether four nor three exist in and of themselves they are simply a designation relating to the number of items in a grouping. We could define four or three or eight differently and make the number statement 4 + 3 = 7 true.
The words are immaterial. It's that what we currently define as a group of four somethings and a group of three somethings, when put together, will always equal seven somethings. Think of it in terms of objects. But we're getting wrapped around the axle here, as philosophical folks are wont to do :). 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
@Polytheist-Witch

You are a sweet ray of honey drenched sunshine as always.
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Careful, you'll be back on the naughty list that way!
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@ludofl3x
Fuck you. 
ludofl3x
ludofl3x
Oh no, I've been blocked by PW! 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ludofl3x
She sure hit the ground running!

If you are a brit and watched Saturday's Rugby you'll believe anything is possible...

I would say a tautology is something that can be simplified (by legal re-arragement and cancellation of terms) to 'true'.
I would say 3+4=7 is a tautology because 3+4 simplifies to 7, giving
7=7 which is A=A -> true.
The step 3+4->7 is hard to justify, but probably possible.  Here is part of how Whitheadandrussel proved the simpler 1+1=2.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@keithprosser
I can't even start to figure out Rugby. I was disappointed to see seven nations rugby on in place of premier league this weekend, and damned if I have any idea what's going on with that game. What I need is really a video game version so I can toy around with it for like five years before I figure out how to actually watch it. Though the end of the MU PSG champions league game was pretty compelling thinking anything could happen. 

Sorry, digressing. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@ludofl3x
I was disappointed to see seven nations rugby on in place of premier league this weekend
It's six nations rugby.  The ability to distinguish between 6 and 7 is a pre-requisite for understanding rugby so I understand why you find it difficult, you soccer-lovin' philistine.

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
You're right, it's SIX nations rubgy, and SEVEN nations army. My mistake!
Mister_Man
Mister_Man
What is your world-view?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

How did the universe come into existence?
Quantum fluctuations in an absolute energy state.

Is there any purpose to existence?
Literally speaking, nope. In my opinion yes, it's to have as much fun/happiness as possible and enjoy an advanced consciousness like the one we have.

Why do you believe what you believe?
Because evidence supports it.

My answers seem kinda bland, but thought I'd throw my two cents in there.

13 days later

distantworlds
distantworlds
-->
@janesix
Regardless of what anyone says or believes about some "GOD"...the fact is NO ONE KNOWS....they just morph information they have been exposed to in their lifetime into opinions....most of which are irrelevant.....regarding all GODS and RELIGIONS

You see clearly from the posts that most of them are nothing more than silly Comic Book level babble...the majority of humanity is conditioned to exist in slavery and oppression..REligion is nothing more than a brainwashing forum....and "GOD" is the ultimate scapegoat tool....nothing more

The Atheist ?  a word invented by Religious psychopaths as a tool to degrade - demoralize - dehumanize all persons who see Religion and the 
idiotic GODS they are built around for what both truly are.....HOAXES....there is no such human that can be labeled by idiotic words...

The GOD and Religious infected sheeple drones are desperate to assimilate all weak minded and ignorant humans into their CULT maze without
an exit....they say and do everything and anything to to hypnotize and brainwash the potential victim into slavery of their CULT...

The so called ATHEIST LABEL is nothing more than a word attached to any person who views Religion and GOD the same way they view Comic Book Characters....they understand that GOD and RELIGION are clever HOAXES used by clever psychopaths as scapegoat tools for power and 
control....

The FAKE BELIEVER uses God and Religion as TOOLS to hypnotize and brainwash stupid-ignorant-low self esteem persons into slavery of a CULT                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Those people who are attacked and labeled ATHEIST are TRUE BELIEVERS !   the understand the TRUTH about fake GODs and Religious CULT Organizations..."ATHEISTS" are the accused enemies of the CULTS....because they speak the TRUTH .....that all the GODS are human fabricated Comic Book characters....and absolutely nothing to get worked up over....