Author: Imabench

Total: 154
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@HistoryBuff
Impeachment didn't doom warren.
No. Forced time away, no high-profile endorsements, and no AOC like Sanders has to fall back on, would doom Warren.

Bench said,

A lacking of high-profile endorsements with a fragile voter base combining with forced time away from the campaign trail could very much fuck over Warren, especially if the Impeachment trial drags out for a lengthy amount of time. Short of Hillary or Obama themselves endorsing Warren and being willing to campaign for her, Trump Impeachment could end up dooming Warrens future in politics the most. 
He turned out to be correct.
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@ethang5
A lacking of high-profile endorsements with a fragile voter base combining with forced time away from the campaign trail could very much fuck over Warren, especially if the Impeachment trial drags out for a lengthy amount of time. Short of Hillary or Obama themselves endorsing Warren and being willing to campaign for her, Trump Impeachment could end up dooming Warrens future in politics the most. 
He turned out to be correct.
Warren had already tanked before impeachment reached the Senate. Impeachment trial began January 16th. Warren was down 10 points from her high water mark by then.

Plus, Sanders is the one who took over as the front runner. He was stuck in the exact same room as Warren. 

She destroyed her credibility with progressives by becoming more and more friendly with establishment figures, bungling medicare for all, carrying out desperate hit jobs on Sanders etc. She pushed her campaign towards relying on upper middle class white people, which happened to be the exact same base as Buttigieg and Klobochar. They ended up eating her lunch. 

The trial had nothing to do with her tanking. She did that all herself.
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@ethang5
@HistoryBuff
In fairness to both sides, the impeachment trial lasted from Dec 18th to Feb 5th..... During that time, Warren stayed at almost exactly 15% the whole way through and didnt budge an inch either up or down in polling https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

It seems that a lot of the damage to her campaign happened well before the trial began, where she slid from frontrunner status of 27% down to 14% by late November, a full 3 weeks before the trial even began. While the trial might have robbed her the opportunity to bounce back before the Iowa Caucuses began (Feb 3rd), it certainly didnt run her campaign into the ground like I thought it could. 

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@Imabench
@HistoryBuff
The way I understood it, the impeachment would just be the feather that broke the camels back, not the sole cause. Warren was already weak, (with a fragile voter base) and unlike Sanders, did not have a high-profile endorsement (Like AOC) which is why out of the 5 senators, it was thought Warren would be the most hurt.

...it certainly didnt run her campaign into the ground like I thought it could. 
No it didn't, but that i s not what you said, at least not to my understanding. You said, of the 5 senators, she would be the one  most harmed by the impeachment.

That turned out to be true.

The only thing that could save her now, would be if Hillary or Obama themselves (or some equally high profile person) endorsed Warren. If that happens, I will insist again that you called it.