which developed country has worse healthcare than we do?

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 44
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@bmdrocks21
I am not quite sure of why it takes this long. It could be incompetence, as typically happens in government bureaucracies, or it could be that trials take long periods of time.

Actual scientific results take a lot longer than just about everyone not intimately familiar with it tend to assume. You have likely heard the ridiculous and ignorant joke "Fusion is just ten years away, and always will be". In other words fusion must be impossible because if it was possible we would have it by now because they keep hearing that it is coming soon. That is another example of people having unrealistic expectations of research timelines because they lack understanding of the processes taking place behind the curtain. Nothing to do with economics or red tape or society, just how things are. It is unavoidable. This is another thing I would not mind discussing in another thread so as to avoid detailing this one.

n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
i can see that you have some points and i have some points when it comes to price controls and shortages, but at least why do you think the usa can't use price controls if every other country does it as the main way to cost half as much as we do? why should the usa be different? 
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I'm not denying that it could take a long time for drug research to be analyzed thoroughly. I am saying that perhaps some of those 10 years may not solely be because of that and may be bureaucratic and regulatory problems. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
why should the usa be different? 

We should probably switch from the imperial system to the metric system too tbh. I am seriously sick of going to work and dealing with "hey this item needs to be cut down to 90 inches" and having to calculate out in my head "yeah okay that is about seven and a half feet that may actually be a bit too long but I can't really eyeball it, let me grab a calculator, paper, pencil, and measuring tape and take a few minutes to double check".

One of my old jobs used the metric system almost exclusively and dear lord in heaven that was so much easier in every way. I am actually really good at math too. You heard me a few posts ago I am willing to admit when something is not within my area of expertise but I am actually far above average when it comes to math. I grew up in America with the imperial system too... It isn't like I don't understand it. It is just objectively worse in every way than metric.

Like, how long is a kilometer? Well it is about 1000 meters or 100 decameters. Okay, okay. Now how long is a mile? A mile is 5280 feet or like... Hold on let me do the math... a bit under 1800 or so yards. Call it about 1750 give or take 30 or so. I mean this is ridiculous! What am I supposed to do with a number like 5280? How can any civilized society operate under these conditions?

Fuck the imperial system. I bet it's a bunch of asshat politicians that keep us using it too. Fuck politicians. Actually I am going to ask Google right now why we still have to put up with this bullshit in the 21st century. Such bullshit. I bet it really is some politicians fault.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Don't even get me started on pounds and ounces. Jesus Christ.
disgusted
disgusted
which developed country has worse healthcare than we do?
Not one.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
other countries approve drugs etc much faster than the FDA does.  I believe England it takes 7 years instead of 10?  I don't remember exactly but they get approvals faster than the U.S.  That would lower costs.  Every medication new and old comes with some level of risk,  cost/benefit.  Do you want longer studies and trials or cheaper prices?  I don't think you can have both.
RationalMadman
Debates: 564
RationalMadman
-->
@n8nrgmi
If by 'our', 'we' and 'us' you refer to United States of America, the healthcare system is worse than most semi-developed countries as well, if not simply on par with it. You can literally die from being injured or having curable disease due to financial restraints, or you get operated on and then blackmailed into bankruptcy due to it. If that's not a problem in your eyes, you are a psychopath and you are the problem.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@n8nrgmi
30 Most Technologically Advanced Hospitals in the World
U.S. has 16 of the 30 including the #1 position
U.K. has 4
Canada has 1

but double check my figures.

wanna guess which is ranked #1?

it's not a perfect system, there's no such thing.  People who have illnesses like cancer are better off being in the U.S. than other countries generally speaking.
most quality products and services come at a premium so why should healthcare should be different other than people FEEL it should be.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Because a countries resources belong to all the people.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@disgusted
Because a countries resources belong to all the people.
all people or all citizens?
why do we have to pay for water then?

how are you differentiating a resource and a service?

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
If it takes 7 years instead of 10 like in the US, then wouldn't that only justify a cost increase of 50%?  America's drug prices are about double what they are in Europe.  I think if Europe can reduce their times to 7 years, I think America can do the same if it means cheaper prices by about 50%.  We'll get worse drugs, but they won't be that much worse, and if it means they would be more common by 50%(since Europe I think produces more cures than America does if I looked at the the stats deeper), I think curing more diseases, even if there are more side effects would be better than curing less diseases with less side effects.  
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Alec
I don't think we'll get worse drugs actually.  The approval time might be even further apart than 3 years, I'm not 100% sure.  But what I have seen is a drug approved in England, then many years later it's available in the U.S.  This is just one of many facets to the cost differences imo.  However if this is a driving factor in cost who is responsible?  Well the F.D.A. is a government agency isn't it?  And we want government to have more control over healthcare?  Do you really think after all this time the U.S. government couldn't have done something to bring down prices to a similar rate as what other countries have been paying?  Why hasn't it ever happened?  Maybe if they have more control over healthcare this would change?  Do you really think that's true?

Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
-->
@n8nrgmi
To my knowledge no healthcare system in the developed world is worse than our current one.

We have the most expensive system with millions uninsured.

Don't think you can get much worse than that lol

The only thing going for our current system is we have good innovation but that's only due to our high population numbers.

When taking into account population sizes, the amount of medical innovation the U.S. has is average at best.

Certainly not worth the millions of bankruptcies and millions uninsured people.