Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 110
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
I think it is a bit of a strawman to say that I am advocating for a total absence of labor laws. Do I think a $15 minimum wage is a terrible idea? Yes, I would certainly be against that. Do I think unions like United Auto Workers need to be scaled back and regulated more? Yes. I don't want an absence of unions, though. I don't think an absence of workplace regulations is a good idea, either.
Companies are already abusing workers and poor people with the laws we have right now. Any crack in the law, any loophole they can get around is exploited to the greatest extent they can. Any relaxing of labor laws, environmental laws etc would be a terrible idea. If anything these need strengthening. 

You would get more of a say in your school and healthcare if you were a consumer instead.
Why? Do I get a vote on what the drug prices are for medication I need? of course not. Companies decide how they can make a profit and only reign it in if it catches headlines for being particularly egregious. Without government regulation they would be free to gouge as hard as they can. 

Are you in favor of school vouchers so there is school choice, or do you think public schools should expect money and students without having an incentive to improve?
I would need to see the details of such a plan. But i'm pretty sure it would work out terribly. 

Not entire economic central planning. Medicare for all is centrally-planned healthcare. 
It is not central planning healthcare in any way. It is government provided insurance. Healthcare is still entirely separate. Many countries have very similar systems and they work much better than America's.

So companies should just have to wait 50 years to make their money back (by which time their drug is generic)?~10 years and millions of dollars go into developing drugs.
This argument is bullshit. Drug research is a small fraction of drug company's expenditures. most drug research is heavily subsidized by the government. Drug companies spend like 3 or 4 times as much on marketing their drugs than they do trying to make or improve them.

We agree there need to be rules. I just think there should be less than you. That is generally how this discussion works, as we aren't communists or anarcho-capitalists.
agreed. But you seem to hold the view (and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to straw man you) that companies and executives are trustworthy and/or can be controlled by "market forces". But this argument is silly. Company's will do whatever they can to increase profits. If that means putting sub-standard ingredients in your food, they will do it. If that means letting people die in preventable car accidents rather than recall the faulty vehicles, they will do that too. They don't care you about. If you die, they could care less as long as they make more money.

Governments on the other hand are beholden to their people. If the government treats people in a way they don't like, the people can get rid of them. I would MUCH rather power be in the hands of devil I have some level of control over than the devil I have no control over at all. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
if billionaires have no way of giving money to politicians without going to jail, then it is alot harder to buy off politicians. 

That's never going to happen. Every schoolyard kid knows how to get access to cigarettes and vapes without getting any punishment. And the government has the judicial system stacked in their favor so nobody really goes to jail. 
This is a bit like saying that you can't stop a murder, so why bother making it illegal. It is just silly. There are already plans that would do this. For example, Andrew Yang's "freedom dollars". Basically, it would ban all private funding of elections. Instead every citizen would get a specific amount of money they could send to a politician(s) of their choice. That way if a politician wants money to run an election, they need to get people to support them. Billionaires would have the same amount of money to donate as a Walmart worker. 

The only way to clean up the government is to take the power away so the rich have nothing to purchase.
lol, that is an even sillier idea. Basically you are advocating taking power away from politicians who could be bribed, and just handing that power directly to the rich people who were bribing them. You just want to cut out the middle man and put the rich directly in charge of your life. I can't imagine a worse idea.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
lol, that is an even sillier idea. Basically you are advocating taking power away from politicians who could be bribed, and just handing that power directly to the rich people who were bribing them. You just want to cut out the middle man and put the rich directly in charge of your life. I can't imagine a worse idea.

Not at all. The rich don't have any power over me. As long as the government is the only one that can tax me, I am all for stripping that power down.
As long as people have the freedom to walk away from rich people, there's no reason to fear them.

When the rich have the power to tax me and send people with guns to my house, then I will start to worry.

I'm not advocating a transfer of power. That is a false choice you are presenting. I am advocating for a reduction of that power and giving it back to the voters instead of powerful politicians with favors to buy.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Not at all. The rich don't have any power over me. As long as the government is the only one that can tax me, I am all for stripping that power down.
lol that is incredibly naive. Who decides how much you will pay for drugs, what goes into the food you eat, how much pollution is going into the air you breath or the water you drink? The rich do. The only limitation on their power over you is the laws the government passes that prevents them from doing these things. If you take that power away, then corporations can do whatever they want to you and there is nothing you can do about it. 

When the rich have the power to tax me and send people with guns to my house, then I will start to worry.
Umm, have you ever heard of debt collectors, Private military contractors etc. The rich already have some of those powers. The reason they can't do more is because the law says they can't. You take that power away from the government and you can bet your ass companies will be using that power instead. 

I'm not advocating a transfer of power. That is a false choice you are presenting. I am advocating for a reduction of that power and giving it back to the voters instead of powerful politicians with favors to buy.
But that is nonsense. If power is removed from one group, another group will take it. If it isn't the government putting rules in place to control how much poison a company can dump in your water, then a company will decide that instead. Power is a zero sum game. If you take it away from the elected representatives of the people, then the rich will take it. Giving power to the government IS giving power to the voters, as long as we reform the system to keep them honest. Taking power away from the government only hands it to billionaires. 

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
Companies are already abusing workers and poor people with the laws we have right now. Any crack in the law, any loophole they can get around is exploited to the greatest extent they can. Any relaxing of labor laws, environmental laws etc would be a terrible idea. If anything these need strengthening. 

Which laws do you think need strengthening? I saw GM lose about $100 million every day during that strike. Seems like they don't have a whole lot of power, now does it?

Why? Do I get a vote on what the drug prices are for medication I need? of course not. Companies decide how they can make a profit and only reign it in if it catches headlines for being particularly egregious. Without government regulation they would be free to gouge as hard as they can. 

Well, if you would actually allow for competition, you would get your choice of medical provider who would actually work to get you a good deal. Would you get a vote for drug prices? Let me rephrase that- would you get the right to coerce a company to sell a drug for whatever you want, essentially saying you have the right to someone else's property? No, and I don't think you should, either.

I would need to see the details of such a plan. But i'm pretty sure it would work out terribly. 

What would be wrong with giving parents a voucher that will allow them to choose which school their child can attend instead of sending them to whatever the closest public school is. I know it is cliche, but.... WHY SHOULD A ZIP CODE DETERMINE A CHILD'S FUTURE?!

This argument is bullshit. Drug research is a small fraction of drug company's expenditures. most drug research is heavily subsidized by the government. Drug companies spend like 3 or 4 times as much on marketing their drugs than they do trying to make or improve them.

I already provided an article showing that your marketing claim isn't the case in another thread, which you never responded to. If what you say about the government doing most of the work/subsidizing MOST of the work is true, then please provide a link. I might begin to find some agreement, then, but you have never proven to me that this was the case.

companies and executives are trustworthy and/or can be controlled by "market forces".
Not necessarily trustworthy inherently. Their main objective is to make money. Competition, if present, has the power to be a "market force", however. If a company engages in false advertisement, but their competitor doesn't, naturally the "untrustworthy" company will most likely fail. That is a market force that keeps them somewhat trustworthy because they need to maintain a positive brand image.

Governments on the other hand are beholden to their people. If the government treats people in a way they don't like, the people can get rid of them. I would MUCH rather power be in the hands of devil I have some level of control over than the devil I have no control over at all. 

Not from what I have seen. People have an illusion of power. They certainly vote for people, but nothing ever changes. Regardless of who is elected, the government grows in size.

On the other hand, you see companies like General Electric with a plan called "ecomagination" in which they are planning to invest in more renewable options for their product line. Are they doing this because they were forced to by the government? Nope. They are doing it because consumers are becoming more concerned about the environment and consumers want to support a brand that will help them meet their needs without polluting as much.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@bmdrocks21
It is not unreasonable to ask voters why they would give Congress the power to Tax and then subsidize businesses.
It is not unreasonable to ask voters why they would give Congress the power to eliminate competition and opportunities by taking away right-to-work laws and passing regulations that only the rich can afford.

It is unreasonable to suggest taking that government power away would give then give rich people the power to tax and subsidize themselves.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 Who decides how much you will pay for drugs,
I do. It's called "shopping"

what goes into the food you eat,
I do, it's called "educating yourself."

how much pollution is going into the air you breath or the water you drink?
I do, by choosing to buy products like a car that causes pollution.

The rich do.
no

The only limitation on their power over you is the laws the government passes that prevents them from doing these things. If you take that power away, then corporations can do whatever they want to you and there is nothing you can do about it. 
Tell that to the buggy whip manufacturers. They were rich once too and had the government bought and paid for.

People just stopped buying horses and buggies.

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@Greyparrot
It is unreasonable to suggest taking that government power away would give then give rich people the power to tax and subsidize themselves.

Lol. Elementary, my dear Watson.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@HistoryBuff
Additionally, you are going to make it much harder to keep money out of politics based on the incentive structure. You are fine with giving the government the power to subsidize, regulate(selectively), and make crony deductions very lucrative with higher taxes. When you add so much opportunity to exploit the government, you add a large incentive to do so. If, on the other hand, a company cannot lobby for subsidies, they will not try as hard to buy the government out. The only way they can make money then is to appeal to the consumer. If they fail to do so, they will go out of business.   
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@bmdrocks21
Which laws do you think need strengthening? I saw GM lose about $100 million every day during that strike. Seems like they don't have a whole lot of power, now does it?
So because workers have some sort of leverage to bargain with, you see that as a multi-billion dollar company being powerless? They are incredibly powerful, they just don't have absolute power like they would prefer.

Well, if you would actually allow for competition, you would get your choice of medical provider who would actually work to get you a good deal.
The reality is very different from your fantasy unfortunately. Insurance companies have found that it is more profitably to co-operate with the medical companies and pay outrageously over priced costs for hospitals and drugs because they know they can squeeze it out of people anyway. When your choice is pay the cost or die, it doesn't leave people with any options. 

Would you get a vote for drug prices? Let me rephrase that- would you get the right to coerce a company to sell a drug for whatever you want, essentially saying you have the right to someone else's property? No, and I don't think you should, either.
Of course not, you get bargaining power. When you represent the entire US health insurance industry you have the power to negotiate better prices. When individual companies who have no problem squeezing the money out of their customers are in charge of it, the result is ridiculous runaway costs. 

What would be wrong with giving parents a voucher that will allow them to choose which school their child can attend instead of sending them to whatever the closest public school is. I know it is cliche, but.... WHY SHOULD A ZIP CODE DETERMINE A CHILD'S FUTURE?!
The details would be highly important. Would the schools be obligated to take students who choose to use their voucher or could they refuse students? Because at that point it would be very easy for rich parents to make a donation to a school and get their child a spot while a poor person's voucher is refused. You would then see the exact same problems we have now where the rich just go to private schools and the poor have public schools. 

If what you say about the government doing most of the work/subsidizing MOST of the work is true, then please provide a link''
I have seen sources vary based on what numbers they are using. Here is a study showing that between 2010-2016, every single drug that was approved received government funding. This was over 100 billion dollars. 

Not necessarily trustworthy inherently. Their main objective is to make money. Competition, if present, has the power to be a "market force", however. If a company engages in false advertisement, but their competitor doesn't, naturally the "untrustworthy" company will most likely fail. That is a market force that keeps them somewhat trustworthy because they need to maintain a positive brand image.
You are assuming a few things that would have to all work, all the time. 1) you assume that there are honest, trustworthy competitors. If they are all corrupt, which most of them are, then this wouldn't happen. 2) you assume the market would react. Companies are doing shitty things every minute of every day all across america. the "market" hears about a teeny tiny percentage of them. And even if the "market" hears about them, they can only react to so many stories. If there are 10's of thousands of companies doing shitty things every day, only a tiny percentage of those are going to receive significant blow back from them. It is much more profitable to be crooked. And if you get caught, you apologize, maybe pay off a few lawsuits for grieving families, then go right back to doing it again. 

The market cannot ever, under any circumstances, force companies to stop being assholes. They will continuous screw people over as frequently and as severely as the possibly can. You can punish a few of them for these actions. but people's attention spans are too short and there are just too many cases for it to ever be effective. The much better plan is to have strict regulations and laws in place that will severely punish them if they do shitty things. 

Not from what I have seen. People have an illusion of power. They certainly vote for people, but nothing ever changes.
In large part because of the money in politics. They know they need the billionaires and bundlers to fund their campaigns. They can piss off some voters and be fine, but if they piss of their donors they are screwed. Once you get all that private money out of elections, then they have much less incentive to be listening to the rich, because their donors are now every single american citizen. You empower voters, exactly like you said you wanted to.

On the other hand, you see companies like General Electric with a plan called "ecomagination" in which they are planning to invest in more renewable options for their product line.
General electric is a massive multinational conglomerate. They are reported to be the 4th largest corporate polluter in america. They have massive holdings in oil and chemicals. They have on many occasions been found to have caused massive contamination including one time they dumped more than 100,000 tons of chemicals from their plant in Waterford, New York. 

They invest in green energy with one hand to get some good publicity, while massively investing in pollution, poison and death with the other. This is a perfect example why "the market" can never hold these companies accountable. They will us their massive resources to publicize the handful of good things they do, while making huge amounts of money exploiting people and spreading poison. But that money buys alot of good headlines. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
 Who decides how much you will pay for drugs,
I do. It's called "shopping"

Not when they have patents you don't. They hold the patent on the drug you need to live. You can pay the price they decide, or you can die. 

what goes into the food you eat,
I do, it's called "educating yourself."
And if the entire industry they want to use certain sub-standard products? What if they decide to just not tell you what is in their food? Or if they just lie on the label about what is in it? Then you are screwed. Luckily for all of us, there are laws against those things. 

I do, by choosing to buy products like a car that causes pollution.
Oh so you are choosing that a factory near you puts poison into the air or into your water? It kind of seems like you have no control over that. 

The rich do.
no
I just explained how they do. They can price fix their products to charge what they want. They can decide to dump poison into your water or into your air. They can put sub standard ingredients in your food and lie about it. All of these things would be incredibly easy things a company could do to you if the government didn't prevent them from doing it. 

Tell that to the buggy whip manufacturers. They were rich once too and had the government bought and paid for.
People just stopped buying horses and buggies.
I have no idea what this means. People stopped buying buggies because a better product came out that replaced them. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Not when they have patents you don't. They hold the patent on the drug you need to live. You can pay the price they decide, or you can die. 

The alternative is to put people into slave camps and create the drugs you demand for a price only you can agree upon.

I'll prefer option A.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
And if the entire industry they want to use certain sub-standard products? What if they decide to just not tell you what is in their food? Or if they just lie on the label about what is in it?

Tort law has been around long before the crony governmental regulation and subsidy complex
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
Oh, so you are choosing that a factory near you puts poison into the air or into your water? It kind of seems like you have no control over that. 

Sure I do. People can choose to not buy those goods if they don't want to deal with the pollution. Personally, I am fine with the current air quality and the convenience of my car and plastic straws. The majority of America agrees with me.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
I have no idea what this means. People stopped buying buggies because a better product came out that replaced them. 

No, it's because people didn't agree with you that the only choice was to buy a buggy whip or die.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
The alternative is to put people into slave camps and create the drugs you demand for a price only you can agree upon.

I'll prefer option A.
No, the alternative is having a single payer system where the consumers actually have some power to negotiate rather than the free for all gouging america currently suffers from. 

Tort law has been around long before the crony governmental regulation and subsidy complex
You are aware that tort law is still determined by the government right? They pass laws which govern tort law. 

Sure I do. People can choose to not buy those goods if they don't want to deal with the pollution. Personally, I am fine with the current air quality and the convenience of my car and plastic straws. The majority of America agrees with me.
But if the factories are all in one region, then they are only poisoning a small group. The rest of the market doesn't give a shit because they aren't affected. You are fine with the air quality while there are strict laws controlling pollution. If you weakened the power of the government, this would dramatically decrease causing a huge upsurge in preventable health problems (which they would of course gouge you to treat).

Greyparrot
Greyparrot

No, the alternative is having a single-payer system where the consumers actually have some power to negotiate rather than the free for all gouging America currently suffers from. 

People have no power to negotiate because people like you voted the government to have enough power to destroy competition for medical payment services. Some states only license a single insurance company to do business there.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
You are aware that tort law is still determined by the government right? They pass laws which govern tort law. 

Which was in place long before the government had the power to manipulate the economy with subsidies and competition busting regulations.
There is no reason we can't step back and go back to the way it was pre FDR nonsense.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
But if the factories are all in one region, then they are only poisoning a small group. The rest of the market doesn't give a shit because they aren't affected. You are fine with the air quality while there are strict laws controlling pollution. If you weakened the power of the government, this would dramatically decrease causing a huge upsurge in preventable health problems (which they would, of course, gouge you to treat).

Pre- FDR tort law wouldn't allow such a scenario. This isn't even close to reality.

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
People have no power to negotiate because people like you voted the government to have enough power to destroy competition for medical payment services. Some states only license a single insurance company to do business there.
People have no power to negotiate because the for profit insurance industry gives them no ability to negotiate. They set a price. You pay it, or you run the risk of bankruptcy or death. It's a product that sells itself because if you don't buy it, you die. 

Which was in place long before the government had the power to manipulate the economy with subsidies and competition busting regulations.
There is no reason we can't step back and go back to the way it was pre FDR nonsense.
lol, I will never understand why right wing people think that establish rules that all companies have to abide by is "competition busting". That's like saying that having a rule where hockey players can't hit each other in the face with their stick is just destroying completion. It is complete and utter nonsense. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
lol, I will never understand why right wing people think that establish rules that all companies have to abide by is "competition busting". That's like saying that having a rule where hockey players can't hit each other in the face with their stick is just destroying completion. It is complete and utter nonsense. 

That's a fake argument. The government can make regulations that help while also making ones that do not solely for the purpose of destroying competition to ensure big businesses contribute to their warchests.

The most idiotic of them is requiring a license to sell lemonade, destroying charter schools with regulations to appease the teacher monopoly, or destroying Uber with regulations to appease the cab driver monopoly.

There is no reason why the people cannot reclaim the powers they gave to the government Post FDR, as the government has shown it cannot be trusted with that power.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
That's a fake argument. The government can make regulations that help while also making ones that do not solely for the purpose of destroying competition to ensure big businesses contribute to their warchests.
lol, so because sometimes rules can be bad, we shouldn't have rules.... makes total sense. But once we get all that corporate money out of polotics, that will limit the amount those businesses can influence policy. Everyone wins without handing power to billionaires. 

The most idiotic of them is requiring a license to sell lemonade
I agree that these rules can be overly punitive. But there are good reasons why we don't let random people sell food and beverages to people on the street. 

destroying charter schools 
Charter schools are a bad thing. They get all the benefits of public funding without any of the accountability. They are exactly the kind of thing you usually rail against. 

or destroying Uber with regulations to appease the cab driver monopoly.
Or they are trying to enforce safety and quality assurance rules that uber is trying very hard not to have to comply with. 

There is no reason why the people cannot reclaim the powers they gave to the government Post FDR, as the government has shown it cannot be trusted with that power.
The government can't be trusted because it has been flooded with corporate and billionaire money making them much more responsive to the rich than to their voters. The problem isn't the government, it is the rich people pulling the strings of a rigged system. The answer isn't to tie the governments hands so that billionaires can do whatever they want. The answer is to get the rich people's money out of politician's pockets and clean up government. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Charter schools are a bad thing. They get all the benefits of public funding without any of the accountability. 

What the hell do you think the word Charter in the label Charter School means?

How about voucher or choice? What do those words mean to you? 

All of that is accountability.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
The answer isn't to tie the governments hands so that billionaires can do whatever they want. The answer is to get the rich people's money out of politician's pockets and clean up government. 

No, the answer is to tie both hands and give the power back to the people, and only a sycophant would argue anything else.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
 or destroying Uber with regulations to appease the cab driver monopoly.
Or they are trying to enforce safety and quality assurance rules that uber is trying very hard not to have to comply with. 

What kind of a bullshit argument is this? Hello, reality check, have you seen the condition of the exteriors of licensed cabs lately?

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
The answer isn't to tie the governments hands so that billionaires can do whatever they want. The answer is to get the rich people's money out of politician's pockets and clean up government. 
No, the answer is to tie both hands and give the power back to the people, and only a sycophant would argue anything else.
How would you do that? How do you take power away from the government with the rich taking that power? If the government doesn't make the rules, then the billionaires will. 

What kind of a bullshit argument is this? Hello, reality check, have you seen the condition of the exteriors of licensed cabs lately?
I have a car. I haven't been in an uber or a taxi. But you are trying to force a tangent. You want to hyper focus on one or 2 examples of regulation that might have negative effects and then use that to justify torching the entire country by handing power to the rich. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
 torching the entire country by handing power to the rich. 

Hyperboles are not arguments.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Hyperboles are not arguments.
I have already explained how tying the hands of the government will just give more power to the rich and further solidify a ruling class. I admit i used hyperbole, but I have already explained the underlying argument. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
hey let's make a list of all the poor and middle class people in the senate, congress etc.....um, ok, how about we list the NON millionaires, um wait no, oh forget it.  

Funny when people think the rich don't run the government.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
hey let's make a list of all the poor and middle class people in the senate, congress etc.....um, ok, how about we list the NON millionaires, um wait no, oh forget it.  

Funny when people think the rich don't run the government.

Just off the top of my head, AOC was a bartender. She certainly isn't rich. We can all be thankful she is gaining some influence in government.