Can scholarship explain the Bible for us?

Author: Dynasty

Total: 33
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Thomas is always right. Doesn't him declaring victory for himself all the time prove this? 

Remember, if someone is so frustrated by your stupidity that they walk away, that means you won the argument. You can now rightly pat yourself on the back and declare yourself the most undefeated best winner ever.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@BrotherDThomas
Pertaining to your quote above, then biblically please enlighten me about "some dude" ordering "some other dudes" death within the scriptures

Okay sure.

Now, I want you to perform this act using only the Bible to vouchsafe your claims, where this would take them away from simple hearsay, okay?

Alright. I will just copy paste from Like 19, since that is the chapter in question.

I will be using the NIV since that appears to be the version you used for your snippets, that shouldn't matter though since just about all the English translations say the same fucking thing and anyone who claims otherwise is being willfully obstinate. Anyone who wants to argue this point is welcome to create a debate on the topic and challenge me to it.

So, here is the text of Like 19... The underlined portion is a parable, the bolded portion is proof that the underlined portion is a parable, and all text in [brackets] is not from the Bible but instead is a side-note by me to help you understand the simplistic text despite your apparent reading disability.

1 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through.

2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy.

3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd.

4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.

5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today."

6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”

8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”

9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham.

10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

11 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once.

12 He said: A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return.

[Note the quote marks above, this is not the Bible telling a story about a man of noble birth. It is a quote attributed to Jesus because he is the one telling a story. That is how words work.]

13 So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

14 “But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

15 He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

[Still obviously not talking about Jesus, since Jesus was never made king of anything. It would be weird for Jesus to be talking in the third person anyway. Remember these are words from Jesus not words from the Bible. I will bold all future references to 'the king', 'master', etc. within the parable for this reason, Jesus did not speak like Yoda!]

16 “The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

17 “‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

18 “The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

19 His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

20 “Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth.

21 I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

22 His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow?

23 Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

24 “Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

25 “‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

26 “He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away.

27 But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

[The bolded portion is obviously a reference to verse 14, where the subjects of this king in this story are said to have not wanted him to rule over them].

28 After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem.

[Note the bolded portion once again. Clearly all of the above was a quote from Jesus telling a story].

29 As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them,

30 “Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here.

31 If anyone asks you, ‘Why are you untying it?’ say, ‘The Lord needs it.’”

32 Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them.

33 As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, “Why are you untying the colt?”

34 They replied, “The Lord needs it.”

35 They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it.

36 As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.

37 When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

38 “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!”
“Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”

40 “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

41 As he approached Jerusalem and saw the city, he wept over it

42 and said, “If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes.

43 The days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment against you and encircle you and hem you in on every side.

44 They will dash you to the ground, you and the children within your walls. They will not leave one stone on another, because you did not recognize the time of God’s coming to you.”

45 When Jesus entered the temple courts, he began to drive out those who were selling.

46 “It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be a house of prayer’; but you have made it ‘a den of robbers.’

47 Every day he was teaching at the temple. But the chief priests, the teachers of the law and the leaders among the people were trying to kill him.

48 Yet they could not find any way to do it, because all the people hung on his words.

As you can see the only crime Jesus is guilty of is stealing, or possibly borrowing without permission, some poor sods donkey. Well, according to the priests he is also guilty of blasphemy but that really isn't a crime in my book.

Now it is your turn to explain, using as you said only the Bible, exactly who Jesus supposedly ordered the deaths of and exactly why he did so, just as I did just now. Who and why. Shouldn't be too hard, assuming you are not full of shit that is lol. I tell you the who and why is explained in verse 14, as the underlined part of the chapter is obviously a parable. Well obvious to anyone with a second grade or higher reading comprehension ability anyway.

Looking forward to your hilarious response. Right now there are only two people on this site I can think of that speak so predictably that it is almost pointless to even have a conversation with them because I know almost exactly how they will respond before I even say anything to them (Mopac and crossed). So far you are looking like a good candidate for becoming the third person on that list. Let's see if you can do it.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Every single ecumenical council of the church before Rome's schism took place in the east.

The New Testament is written in Greek.

The vast majority of church fathers from the first 1,000 years after Christ wrote in Greek.

The Orthodox Church has preserved Church history. The bible is a part of Church history. 
Besides that, the bible is an integral part of our Holy Tradition.

It is silly to detach the bible from the church. It is our book.