destroy entire town and its people, if someone there wants everyone to worship false gods

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 76
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
but who am i to say this is not reasonable, and is bat shit crazy? 

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@n8nrgmi
Yeah, allegedly he really gets off on killing people, that's because he's so moral.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@disgusted

YOUR QUOTE: "Yeah, allegedly he really gets off on killing people, that's because he's so moral."

Lest we forget, you are talking about the Christian God, who is the Hebrew Yahweh God incarnate, which is Jesus of the Triune Doctrine of the faith. Then pseudo-christians wonder why I state that Jesus is a serial killer that we worship, but at the same time, Jesus is considered to be all loving and forgiving!  I really question my faith at times in the 21st century.  :(

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@n8nrgmi
The Jews were bound by covenant to be set aside as a holy priesthood to God. That being the case, it is not fit for priests to be idolaters, least of all in a society where the followers of these idols commited various abominations, even human sacrifice and such.

You can have peace knowing that the church doesn't teach to kill pagans or even apostates.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@n8nrgmi
I'd also like to point out that the books of the bible that account the history of the ancient Israelites make it pretty clear that this law was unenforceable, as idolatry was a problem that plagued the Jewish people throughout their history, it even being seen as the primary reason Israel was conquered by the Abyssinians and Babylonians.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
even human sacrifice and such.
Your religion is based on human sacrifice.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
And what about their 600,000 man army that had to beg the Pharaoh to be let go. How funny is that?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Not human sacrifice. Self sacrifice. Becoming less in order that Christ be magnified.
To be a living sacrifice.

It was precisely Israel's faith in Moses, who placed his faith in the God of Abraham, that allowed them to escape the sorceries of the Egyptian pagans and be consecrated as a people set apart to reveal God to the nations.

And so God has been revealed as The Ultimate Reality.

The written word "God" being in itself the flesh of The Divine Word. It is through The Incarnate Word that The Ultimate Reality is witnessed, and if you deny this, The Holy Spirit is not in you.

The Divine Word of God is Truth, The Holy Spirit is Truth. God is One with His Word and Spirit.

To the glory of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit.

Those who abide in The Eternal Way are of the true nation of Israel. God knows those who are His.
disgusted
disgusted
To be a living sacrifice.
You always equivocate, that is human sacrifice. It is the absolute basis of your religion. Your Jesus god was a human sacrifice to your Yahweh god.............tada Christianity, stop lying about it.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
Orthodox Christianity isn't for wimps, it requires picking up your cross daily.

Self sacrifice.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
This complaint always strikes me as incoherent.

Ever see a jihadist assert America is immoral because we we don't follow Islam? The atheist is doing the same thing with this complaint.

First, he pretends that his particular moral code is objective and universal, and then condemns anyone who doesn't follow it.

All n8nrgmi is saying is that God should  follow his personal moral code, and because he doesn't, God is immoral.

Every time I've asked someone espousing this belief why they think God should be bound by their personal moral code, they hurumph. Its self evident. "I wouldn't want to worship a God that didn't follow my personal moral code" they imply.

The basic objection here is that God refuses to submit to them.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
Your Jesus god was a human sacrifice to appease your Yahweh god.
Read your fuckin' book.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@n8nrgmi
Aren't you a Christian? 
ronjs
ronjs
-->
@n8nrgmi
Any creator has the right to destroy their own creation and since the creator is also a God of perfect justice,his acts won't always be seen as moral by mere mortal standards.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheRealNihilist
i believe the bible is only inspired, not infallible or inerrant 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
the way i see it is there are things that look contradictory in the bible, so if i see something that on its face looks riduculous, i'm not just going to give it the benefit of the doubt. that fundamentalist christians refuse to see the obvious, is their problem. they are heretics. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
church tradition says that the bible has mistakes in it. inerrancy and infallibility of the bible are modern liberal inventions. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@n8nrgmi
You should watch this video, its good.

Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@n8nrgmi

That certainly makes more sense than the alternative. After all if the creator of the universe wanted the message to be infallible I doubt 'collection of books' would have been the basis in the first place.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You should also watch the above video
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mopac
Nah. No wifi and videos eat up data on the phone a lot faster than text forums. Doubt it would be worth it.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I understand.

This video addresses both the OP and the topic of biblical inerrancy.

The Old Testament chronicles a people who are struggling with idolatry. That being the case, people who believe in biblical inerrency as fundamentalist protestants and such do are missing the point greatly. In fact, they are commiting idolatry by making the bible out to be something that it isn't.

The Church actually does believe in biblical inerrancy, but definitely not in the same way. The video does a good job clearing that up.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@n8nrgmi
So basically God kinda sorta did stuff to the Bible but didn't really make sure it was without error? Okay. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Naturally, to a christianity divorced from the living church, this is an issue as the bible is ALL THEY HAVE.

So when you scoff, realize that you are scoffing because your idea of how the bible is supposed to be revered is largely influenced by this churchless christianity. The bible is all they have to work with.

Mopac
Mopac
Really tho, on inerrancy of scripture and such, this video is good.

n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@TheRealNihilist
look at the bible. do you see error? of course there is. so if God is real, the bible must not be error free. 

think of all the saints and other sources that were inspired. were any of them perfect? no. so it's the way things are, that there's inspiration and not perfection. only God is perfect. his creation is not. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@n8nrgmi
look at the bible. do you see error? of course there is. so if God is real, the bible must not be error free. 

think of all the saints and other sources that were inspired. were any of them perfect? no. so it's the way things are, that there's inspiration and not perfection. only God is perfect. his creation is not.
Okay but what do you have to show that God exists when we are so imperfect?
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Guess God likes to half-ass his work.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
You couldn't even create an ant.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
You couldn't either. I guess you are making fun of my deficiency even though you have it as well.

If God exists, I hope whenever God does make an ant God doesn't half ass it and give it no legs. Would be a really nice thing to do to not create creatures capable of physically deficiency. Shame that God just had to make people blind, deaf and other deficiencies.