Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 56
Salixes
Debates: 0
Salixes
-->
@Alec
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

Yes I do and I presented it.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@PGA2.0
Yes, fifteen threads in three days is a lot to handle. It would be for me a full-time job to conscientiously answer my critics with this many threads. 
That is because you care about engagement and communication. You don't post out of bitterness and petty spite. You want your posters to understand, even if they don't believe.

Some people don't care about those things at all. They are like the demonstrators yelling "killer! Killer!" Over and over, not caring what their opponent says.

Good debate on that other thread with Ludo. Interesting intellectual stuff.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Salixes
I would say that since Richard Dawkins is the most proud to be atheist that I know, I think he has a bias.  Other factors might be at play, such as atheists tend to live in wealthy areas, producing higher education, and therefore generating smart people.

It's not education -> secularism.

It's more like secularism -> education I think.

PGA2.0
Debates: 7
PGA2.0
-->
@ethang5
Yes, fifteen threads in three days is a lot to handle. It would be for me a full-time job to conscientiously answer my critics with this many threads. 
That is because you care about engagement and communication. You don't post out of bitterness and petty spite. You want your posters to understand, even if they don't believe.

Some people don't care about those things at all. They are like the demonstrators yelling "killer! Killer!" Over and over, not caring what their opponent says.

Good debate on that other thread with Ludo. Interesting intellectual stuff.

Thanks! I would like to show him how his worldview does not make sense and ours does if he would engage more. I like it that he has engaged somewhat. He is holding me accountable for what I believe but what about what he believes? I want him to show how his view is reasonable and logical too. Can he do that? I find that when we get to the trigger points or the underlying beliefs that everything else rests upon, generally speaking, those who oppose Christianity deflect, talk past, disengage, or end the discussion. I am willing to show him that the evidence for Christianity (and I like prophecy in doing so because it touches on history) is extremely reasonable and logical to believe but when I do this most will not fully respond. The reason I believe is that they do not have a good working knowledge of prophecy and how it connects to every part of the Bible. 
ethang5
ethang5
-->
@PGA2.0
Because you're a genuinely good person, you tend to assume most people are like you. Sal may be out of your experience range. 

I like it that he has engaged somewhat.
He's been sacked from every moderated site he's been on (including this one) so he's trying to be careful. 

I'll let you see how he is yourself.
Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Salixes
The morals as outlined in Biblical scripture are draconian, barbaric, primitive, corrupt and well behind the times by hundreds of years.
Meanwhile, you haven't provided evidence for that claim.

Theists have lower IQs than atheists and has been proven so.

Christians have been persecuted for centuries. And, for good reason.
What's the good reason?

Properly conducted independent research studies around the world have confirmed that the IQ of theists is lower because of restriction of education by religious institutions.
Restriction of education does not really affect IQ. Also, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289616000027

Salixes
Salixes
And your point being?

What's the good reason? (Christians being persecuted)
Christians hold idiosyncratic views detached from mainstream society and that are offensive to others,

Are you going to keep questioning, or are you going to actually going to contribute to the conversation?

For example: "I don't agree with you Salixes because, despite the overwhelming reports from around the world outlining a number of factors that confirm lower IQs in theists I think............"

Or: "I don't believe for one minute that your claim about Christian morals being draconian, barbaric, primitive, corrupt and well behind the times by hundreds of years is true at all. After all, the Bible was written only last year (in the last shower) and all our morals are based on up-to-date society views. Oh, all except homophobia, but those people are a bunch of perverted poofs. And what about abortion. Let those deformed vegetables live. Oh, and let all those terminally-ill bastards slowly suffer to death. Because, you see, I'm a Christian. I don't have to think because God tells me to think all that nasty stuff, be ignorant, arrogant and bigoted. And if God tells us it's ok to live like they did in primitive, barbaric times, it's okay.
But what irks me is why everyone persecutes us. I mean, like, what the?"

Shall we run with that argument on your behalf?
Or would you like to actually stick your neck out and offer your own argument?

ethang5
ethang5
Christians hold idiosyncratic views detached from mainstream society and that are offensive to others,
Oh, I forgot. Sal also thinks his fringe views are Mainstream, and Christians are "idiosyncratic".
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
Correlation does not equal causation.

As you admitted this, the sole purpose of this topic is pretty much for you to have a platform to talk trash.
Salixes
Salixes
Correlation does not equal causation.
As you admitted this, the sole purpose of this topic is pretty much for you to have a platform to talk trash.
I admitted no such thing.
I am deadly serious about the topic. A topic that has been debated and and properly researched thoroughly over the years.

I find it shameful that theists take the stance of not giving even lip service to such a concerning matter and refuse to talk about it.

And to right it off as talking trash is an indication of how flippant and arrogant some people really are.
ethang5
ethang5
The funny thing is, Sal is supposed to be the representative of the "more intelligent" atheist. Lol.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
It doesn't sound to me as if you have a genuinely scientific approach to this subject.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
It is talking trash. You aren't doing anything different than those who take statistics about IQ and race to justify racism.

Correlation does not equal causation. Point being, all the variables are not being isolated. In effect, you appear to be presenting a pseudoscientific argument.

A theist is simply someone who believes in a god. Any god besides. I don't believe that the guy who worships comic books and videogames as gods is as intelligent as someone who worships The Truth as God. One is trying to escape from reality, the other is actively struggling with it. 

Besides, from our worldview there is no such thing as an atheist, only self declared atheists. Atheists don't really understand concepts like God and idolatry. That is why they tend to make themselves their own god while at the same time denying all gods.

17 days later

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Salixes
The morals as outlined in Biblical scripture are draconian, barbaric, primitive, corrupt and well behind the times by hundreds of years.

Christians have been persecuted for centuries. And, for good reason.
What's the good reason?

Properly conducted independent research studies around the world have confirmed that the IQ of theists is lower because of restriction of education by religious institutions.
Restriction of education does not really affect IQ. Also, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289616000027

Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Dynasty

So, would your argument be that the Bible was written one year ago?

Would your argument also be that, since the Bible was written only one year ago, it covers gay rights, abortion, vaccination, right to die, global warming and global economy?

Would your argument also be that, since the Bible was written only one year ago, there is no reference to killing a servant found guilty of adultery, that there is no reference to locking one's wife in a separate room whilst on the rags?

Would your argument be that where it says in the Bible if your wife puts out her hand and catches hold of a man by his privates (whilst you are fighting him), you must cut off her hand and show her no mercy; that reflects modern thinking?

Nah, just kidding; you wouldn't argue those points would you, nor any other point under the sun for that matter?

You're just content to only nitpick the intelligent arguments of others from the sidelines since well, let's face it, you have no argument anyway.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
It doesn't sound to me as if you have a genuinely scientific approach to this subject.

It sounds like that to you because you have a genuine desire not to bother to even type the subject into Google since you know of the inevitable....there will be five pages of properly conducted scientific studies confirming exactly what I argue.
Ooooh, and of course, them reports being scientamific and all that, you certainly won't be opening such damning evidence.

Ooooh, and what about all the social an educational reports on the subject?

You won't be reading those, will you?

In fact, the only thing that you could possibly read that won't mention a single thing that would contradict your beliefs is....errr....well,"Marvel 3-D Man".

And you wonder why theists have lower IQs?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
I'm smart enough to see that you don't know what isolating a variable means.
Mopac
Mopac
Nihilism is fundamentally an anti-intellectual philospphy.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac

I'm smart enough to see that you don't know what isolating a variable means.
If you were anywhere near half as smart as you think you are you wouldn't be walking around with deluded thoughts of an imaginary friend wafting through your mind. 

Nihilism is fundamentally an anti-intellectual philospphy.
And is it any wonder since there is nothing intellectual about religion?

Just keep the hollow one-liners a coming.

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Salixes
You mean in general? Because you aren't so bright.

And this is the failing point of this argument. Every atheist bringing it up is himself of low intelligence.

Where are all these smart high IQ atheists? Certainly not on the Religion board.

Just keep the hollow one-liners a coming.
You've got that covered already Sal.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
You are the one listening to demons, not me. The demons who tell you that The Truth does not exist, and that there is no Ultimate Reality.

Truth stands clear apart from error, and your error is manifest for all to see. God forbid a fool who denies The Truth be taken as anything other than deluded.
Salixes
Salixes
-->
@Mopac
You are the one listening to demons, not me. The demons who tell you that The Truth does not exist, and that there is no Ultimate Reality.

Truth stands clear apart from error, and your error is manifest for all to see. God forbid a fool who denies The Truth be taken as anything other than deluded
Do you often throw your hands up in despair wondering why everyone is crazy but you?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Soooooo, Sal has demons talking to him, and this is in the ultimate reality ?

ethang5
ethang5
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Sal has demons talking to him...
And then he spams their nonsense. Unoriginal bunch those demons.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Salixes
No, as the saying of St Silouan the Athonite is written on my psyche.

"Keep thy mind in hell, and despair not"
Mopac
Mopac
One's intelligence is for naught if they deny The Truth. In one's heart, The Truth can be slain, but in the end it will rise up again, and w le will all be judged according to it's light.