Does Racism Require Ethnic Power Over Another Ethnic Group?

Author: Reece

Total: 52
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@ravensjt
One thing at a time please, and I would prefer primary sources. As an example, the first statistical claim in the article you posted references a Brown University study.

If you could accomodate my request for ease of conversation, I would appreciate it, thank you.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@ravensjt
This aint complex..... If Blacks are in Power and the persecute Whites based off of their Race, then thats Racism    that includes but is not limited to South African Blacks.... does that obvious disclaimer make it more clear?
Yes, it does. Thanks. I knew I could not be wrong about you.

triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@ravensjt
It certainly would've been dumb.... But no, South Africans were/are taking back what was rightfully theirs, Those Whites were the beneficiaries of stolen land. Their Race is a by product of the thievery of their Forefathers 
By this logic, the native tribes of South Africa should ethnically cleanse all of the Bantus. 
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@ravensjt
The minority Race can be prejudice or bigoted.......

Racism is a system in which a dominant Race benefits off the oppression of others,overtly or covertly, consciously or subconsciously

Racism doesn't always equate to the majority Race (See South Africa)

Because of this, it's debatable whether the downtrodden Race can be "Racist"

Jews disproportionnately make up the upper and wealthier classes of various nations, which is done while keeping others down. Does this mean discrimination against Jews could not be anti-Semitic? 
Reece
Reece
-->
@triangle.128k
Seriously? Is that meant to be a trick question? Try to follow the reasoning. When trying to group people like this, there are obviously outliers.
ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@triangle.128k
By this logic, the native tribes of South Africa should ethnically cleanse all of the Bantus. 
"Ethnically Cleanse" means to wipe out another Ethnicity.

Black South Africans aren't doing that

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@triangle.128k
Jews disproportionnately make up the upper and wealthier classes of various nations, which is done while keeping others down. Does this mean discrimination against Jews could not be anti-Semitic? 
Two things before I respond:

1. I don't consider Jews to be a Race
2. Semites are people of southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.

Racism is prejudice + power...... In your scenario, the minority doesn't have that power

Mopac
Mopac
If you have the power to be racist, but can get away with not being called racist for it... isn't that prejudice + power?

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@ravensjt
Probably not. However, would discrimination against Bantus by the Native tribes be justified? If not, why should white farmers face land seizures instead of finding more reasonable ways of dealing with the situation?

Also, Jews are more or less an ingroup. They consider themselves to have, more or less, an identity in blood. There is such a thing as "ethnic Jew." The Jews are certainly in positions of power and have all the means to be prejudiced. Why is that not racism?

ravensjt
ravensjt
-->
@triangle.128k
Probably not. However, would discrimination against Bantus by the Native tribes be justified? If not, why should white farmers face land seizures instead of finding more reasonable ways of dealing with the situation?

Not understanding your question as the term "Bantus" refers to South African Blacks during apartheid.

Redistribution with compensation is reasonable IMO

There is no way that the farmers are entitled to land that was taken due to apartheid (imo)
sadolite
sadolite
Racism requires nothing. you just call it racist and there you have it, it's racist. No one can ever prove something isn't racist. I defy anyone to try. Don't think your intelectual logical arguments are  in any way one shred of proof. I tried that. It is impossible to prove you are not or something isn't racist once someone calls you  or something  racist. End of story.
Mister_Man
Mister_Man
-->
@Reece
Fuck no.

Racism requires someone to mistreat another because of their ethnicity, or consider their ethnicity superior to others. It has nothing to do with power.

This bullshit idea that SJW's keep trying to desperately to push that "racism is based on power" is nothing more than a bullshit way to place ALL blame on white people and only white people.

Whites can be the victims of racism, blacks can be perpetrators of racism. It doesn't matter if you're in the majority or not.

There's a city rather close to me that is predominately Chinese. Does that mean if I go to that area of land that is predominately Chinese and call everyone chinks, it's not racist?

I don't get offended when people are racist to me, because I'm not a whiny loser, but I would still say that they're obviously being racist.
Plisken
Plisken
-->
@Reece
Criminality is ideally non existant.  Its a minority behaviour in a decent society and there's just no way around that.  The police are in a position of inherent interest to target the minority and investigate "unusual" activity for goodness sake.  It's arguably in one's best personal interest to refrain from known associatians with criminality in your locale if you are concerned about interaction with police.

58 days later

Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Reece
"Racism" is a term steeped in slander, hysterics and murkiness, and thus should not be used: (https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/174).

Instead, "racial hatred" might be useful as a replacement for "racism", in your thread.

678 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Greyparrot
Feeling that you belong to a race that is genetically inferior is also racism. Note I said feel because there is no basis in science for multiple races since we are all mutts from one race in Africa.
Am I wrong to think that a significant number of Hutus and the Tutsis saw each other as different ethnicities/races/people?

I'm not certain about that, but from what little I've read, it sounds that way to me.
And seems to happen that way in other places as well.
The Brits, Scots, and Irish, for example.

Or Herman Goring talking about how different he thinks Germans are from one another, depending on what part of the country they were born to and grew up in.
Don't have the book with me, but he goes on about how unfeeling this group of Germans is compared to this group, or how much more artistic that group of Germans is.
And stated he thought it was due to blood and genetics, I mean.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Lemming
Cosmetic phenotype DNA does not determine the ability of a person to assimilate into any culture in any nation on the planet, and phenotypes are shared between people with DNA originating from every place on the planet due to the thousands of years of humans travelling by wheel, boat, and horse.

There are no pure races left on Earth and have not been for a very long time minus maybe 100 people in some remote islands in the Pacific or Indian oceans.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Greyparrot
Even people on remote islands got there somehow.

34 days later

Conway
Conway
-->
@Reece
Maybe?  I mean they might need to perceive power dynamic at some point as a perquisite to their worldview.  This has nothing to do with demographics.

Racism isn't necessarily offensive.  It's necessarily stupid.  Every racist I have interviewed has been able to trace back to some kind of fear or an inferiority/superiority complex.  

That is irrelevant in practice.  They'll click back to reality eventually after talking for awhile and respecting them without disrespecting yourself.

Mopac
Mopac
It saddens me tremendously that in the year 2020 we are still dealing with issues of race in America. Really, I hope one day this can be put behind us.

When skin color becomes no different than hair color, I think we'll be in a good place. One race. The human race. Many beautiful varieties. 

*insert blond joke here*
Intelligence_06
Debates: 167
Intelligence_06
-->
@BrotherDThomas
We introduce the eccentric comedian to "justify" racism to the people.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Intelligence_06

Intelligence_06,

YOUR MISGUIDED QUOTE:  "We introduce the eccentric comedian to "justify" racism to the people."

Are you calling my serial killer Jesus the Christ a comedian?  WTF!  Barring your insolence towards Jesus as Yahweh God incarnate, He did preach racism, so what?

JESUS STATED: The first commandment is racist; "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." condemns those who worship any other than the biblical Hebrew God Jesus which equals racism. (Deuteronomy 5:4)

JESUS STATED: He forbids marriages with those of other tribes which is racism. (Deuteronomy 7:3)

JESUS STATED: If you hear of a city where another god is worshiped, then destroy everyone in the city (even the cattle) and burn it down which is pure racist killing! (Deuteronomy 13:12-16)

Watch your disgusting words within this forum relative to Jesus the Christ, otherwise you may be struck down DEAD if you continue in the manner that you did!

JESUS STATED: "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” (Romans 12:19")

53 days later

Jasmine
Jasmine
no.