Author: Salixes

Read-only
Total: 42
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
It doesn't, which is why I am asking why you feel the need to mention this things.
ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
If buildings and prayers and songs don't make the slightest difference to what you're both calling "ultimate reality," then how is the ultimate reality god? God in the book issues a bunch of commandments, three of which if I recall are about how to worship him and not blaspheme him, etc. Your own church traditions, the ones you're always crowing are the only real ones and are the best and make your church the most catholicky, they're meaningless too. In other words, if god is in fact just reality, and churches, songs and prayers don't make a difference to reality, then what is the point of calling reality god? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
The purpose of tradition is to pass something down to the next generation. To prepare a heart for revelation.

The Ultimate Reality is God, and religion has nothing to do with it. Holy Tradition is what was passed down to us from ancient times, it is the faith itself. Then there are customs, which are cultural. To an outsider, it isn't always apparent what is Holy Tradition and what are cultural customs.

The Ultimate Reality has always been God. Even the name that God gave to Moses is simply an ancient way of declaring God as The Ultimate Reality. Ancient translations make this even clearer, the Greek Septuigant(oldest surviving text of the Pentateuch) translates this name as "ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν", which translated into English sometimes as "I AM the Existing One" 

So for thousands of years, we have always understood God as being Reality as it truly is. 

ludofl3x
Debates: 0
ludofl3x
-->
@Mopac
That doesn't address my questions about your prior post. 

if god is in fact just reality, and churches, songs and prayers don't make a difference to reality, then what is the point of calling reality god? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@ludofl3x
Because The Ultimate Reality was called God before it was called anything else.

It is having a hang up over this that is the novelty. Churches, prayers, and singing are not what make God who He Is.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
And why etc.

Because this is a debating website.
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
And why etc.
Because this is a debating website.

You may be a little confused on what constitutes debate. Simply blurting out unrelated things is not covered just because this is a debate.

The things you say must not only make sense, but be pertinent to the context of the topic being discussed.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
And my comments were wholly pertinent to the ongoing discussion.
Ultimate Reality without all the ritual trappings.

Some might say that relativism and houses built on sand wasn't pertinent.
But fortunately I am not as picky and choosy as some people.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
So what are we debating?

It sounds to me like you are being presumptuous.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Thinking of becoming religious?

Fine.

So be religious, but cut the crap was my suggestion.

No presumption involved.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
Believe it or not, not everyone learns the same way.

It is a fact that kids(and really even adults) remember things easier when they are sung. The Orthodox Church teaches through the songs we sing. I can't say they same about other churches, as rockband worship only seldom has music with any deep lyrical content.

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->
@zedvictor4
But fortunately I am not as picky and choosy as some people.
That you are not Zed, that you are not.